Green Lantern Film - Box Office Flops (Director Leaves; Reviews=Bad; WB puts Embargo)

50 MILLION, could have been worse. The 21% drop on Saturday is alarming, next weekend it should be dead in the water.

[quote name='whoknows']I like Green Lantern but I'm not a huge fan.

And Thor was good (way better than I was expecting honestly), I just liked Green Lantern better.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. I'm just trying to decide whether this is worth seeing or not.

[quote name='docvinh']Gotcha. I'm just trying to decide whether this is worth seeing or not.[/QUOTE]

If you're not one of those people who call movies films and think independent movies are the best I'd say go for it. Just take the movie for what it is.

I get so tired of people who haven't seen a movie ripping on it like they know what the fuck they're talking about. Guess what, "Ye Who Haven't Seen It", you don't. I also get tired of reviewers bashing the fuck out of a film when they're looking for a Picasso at a comic book shop.

It was a good movie. It entertained me for two hours and I didn't hate it. Could it have been more epic, could it have had a different actor for GL, could it have had a better adaption to the story, more X, Y and/or Z? Of course, but so can a lot of films. That doesn't make them bad films. Green Lantern was faithful to the story and the heart of who GL is and why he was chosen. And it told the story in an entertaining way that didn't take 3 hours and 20 minutes with a lot of plodding bullshittery that would bore you to tears. It was a.....super.....hero.....movie.

Reviewers need to stop comparing every new movie with every other movie that they've ever seen. What you remember in your head from movies you enjoyed a lot will always be grander than what you actually saw because you're steeping it in emotion and nostalgia. Take a new movie for what it is with no pre-conceived notions about what it should be in your perfect minds eye. It's a good, entertaining, super hero movie that did what it was supposed to do, transport you away from reality for a couple hours.

I'm not a fanboy, whether you choose to believe that or not I don't care, I'm just tired of this mob mentality about movies that tries to dictate whether a movie is "good" or "bad" without any other options in the middle or even taking into account every individuals' personal preferences.

My completely arbitrary and useful only to me scores:

Story:7
Acting including CG characters:7
SFX/CG:7.5
Score/Music:8
Suspension of Disbelief:8
3D:7 (A few scenes benefited from 3D, but over all wasn't 100% necessary.)
Adaptation:6.5
Necessity to see it on a big screen and not DVD/BR:8 (There is some epic stuff that is pretty impressive that would be lost even on a 42" LCD and 7.1 surround.)

Bottom line for me is, it was a good summer movie that was worth the time and money I spent on it. If you want perfection, pop in LOTR and I'll see you in 12 hours. If you are afraid of spending the money, go to a matinee showing and bring a flask of your favorite movie drink so you can chill the fuck out.

I went and saw this today with my dad for fathers day, and while it wasn't as good as either Thor or X-Men, I actually thought it was better then many of these reviews make it out to be, while there were some parts I didn't like such as how they did focus a little much on Hal Jordan over the Green Lantern, the fights being pretty small and quick, and they could have picked a few better actors for some of the parts, I still thought it was worth seeing at least, maybe it was due to me having such low expectations based on what everyone else said but who knows, overall i'm just happy were getting all of these superhero movies to begin with :p

I think this is without a doubt... my FAVORITE LINE in the movie!

Carol Ferris to Hal Jordan:

"Hal, you have courage. Becuase... (dramatic pause)... you're courageous."

[/sarcasm]

oh come on you guys really think it's that bad? Just give it a chance... there has been worse movies out there.... Battlefield Earth for example.... can it be worse than that?

[quote name='ITDEFX']oh come on you guys really think it's that bad? Just give it a chance... there has been worse movies out there.... Battlefield Earth for example.... can it be worse than that?[/QUOTE]

I actually thought X-Men 3 was worse then Green Lantern.

I saw it on Saturday and I thought it was entertaining. It was not nearly as bad as the reviews but it was not great either. It is a decent summer popcorn flick.

I really really wanted to like the move. I am not by any means a GL fan. I actually know nothing about the character. Wth that said, this movie was a complete disservice to the character.

When you consider how it will be most people's first introduction to the character, many people won't even give a sequel another chance.

This movie was just a mess. It spreads itself a lot and does nothing well.

Hector Hammond in the move was just ludicrous nonsense. Everything about his character in the movie was terrible. Peter Sarsgaard is definitely in the running for a razzie.

I truly believe that a sequel will improve on every aspect of this movie. With a new director, narrower scope and better villain GL 2 may actually be a good movie and not just a pile of fail.

It was okay, entertaining enough. Fun to watch the cool stuff and the suit in motion wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. If they do go ahead with a sequel I'm sure it'll be much better, now that the origin is out of the way.

I agree with above, Hector Hammond was horrible. His screeching annoyed the hell out of me.

[quote name='RuzzT']It was a good movie. It entertained me for two hours and I didn't hate it. Could it have been more epic, could it have had a different actor for GL, could it have had a better adaption to the story, more X, Y and/or Z? Of course, but so can a lot of films. That doesn't make them bad films. Green Lantern was faithful to the story and the heart of who GL is and why he was chosen. And it told the story in an entertaining way that didn't take 3 hours and 20 minutes with a lot of plodding bullshittery that would bore you to tears. It was a.....super.....hero.....movie.[/QUOTE]

There's no excuse to dick up a superhero movie, especially when it's a popular superhero making his debut. That should be easy street for a talented director and charismatic actor.

3D movie tickets now cost an average of 10 bucks a pop. If the studios and theaters are going to charge that much, they better bring it. Else I'll just Netflix it in 6 months and skip through the shitty story.

[quote name='camoor']
3D movie tickets now cost an average of 10 bucks a pop.[/QUOTE]

It costs me about $10-11 for 2D screens and $14ish for 3D movie. The last I saw was clash of the Titans. I learned from my mistake.

What gets me is why they freaking released this movie when 1st class is just like 2 weeks old and still in the theaters

i finally got around to seeing 1st class because i regretted not seeing thor. great movie but sort of surprised they launched another comic movie so close lol

Well it's a DC vs Marvel scenario, and they believed that GL would be a super hit. XFC was kind of an unknown because it is essentially a new franchise.

Started off promising but then became so unfocused and storytelling was disjointed. Hammond was ridiculous. And cloud monsters didn't work in rise of silver surfer and it didn't work here either. The corps is 3000 strong and yet they left it up to one single new recruit to bring parallax down. Is it surprising the movie had 5 screen writers? Too many chefs in the kitchen left us a mess too convoluted to stomach.

I loved the first hour or so... then it went really downhill. The introduction of the "researcher"/Doctor character was a complete waste.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']I think this is without a doubt... my FAVORITE LINE in the movie!

Carol Ferris to Hal Jordan:

"Hal, you have courage. Becuase... (dramatic pause)... you're courageous."

[/sarcasm][/QUOTE]
That was indeed bad. And here I thought the worst line was Hal Jordan to Parallax:

"The bigger they are... the faster they burn!"

Also did anyone notice but WB basically spoiled half of the final battle scene when they released this trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thPVZ3bfGMI

That's essentially one half of the whole battle. After the trailer ends with Hal holding up a shield...
He punches Parallax into space by making some airplane propeller, and then spots the sun in outer space, and then punches Parallax into the sun with a boxing glove.

So that was practically 1/2 of the whole final battle scene.

It doesn't really bother me they didn't spend a lot of time on the final battle. For what the final battle was I thought it was fine.

[quote name='tinman_licks']Started off promising but then became so unfocused and storytelling was disjointed. Hammond was ridiculous. And cloud monsters didn't work in rise of silver surfer and it didn't work here either. The corps is 3000 strong and yet they left it up to one single new recruit to bring parallax down. Is it surprising the movie had 5 screen writers? Too many chefs in the kitchen left us a mess too convoluted to stomach.[/QUOTE]

They didn't send everyone, because
they already tried to fight Parallax and failed. They didn't want to risk anymore of the Corp on it so they were going to use the yellow ring, but Hal asked them to wait so see if he could beat it on his own without them resorting to using it.

I don't get why that's so hard for everyone to understand.

[quote name='crunchewy']With any luck, this will be the beginning of the end for Marvel super hero movies. Ok, there's not much chance of that.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

Except that Green Lantern is DC...

Article confirms speculation that Director Martin Campbell is indeed leaving the Green Lantern film property.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...t_300_million_martin_campbell_not_signed_for/

Green Lantern’ Reportedly Cost $300 Million; Director Martin Campbell Won’t Return For Sequel

And while sequel talk has been around almost from the moment the first one started filming, director Martin Campell says he’s not signed to do anymore and that’s likely to pull back do something smaller next.

“I’m going to do a little film next. I don’t know what I’m going to do, having just finished this one.”

Unlike the Marvel task of signing talent to multiple film contracts, Campbell and Warner Bros both likely took a wait-and-see approach before committing to any further movies, though undoubtedly, Reynolds and other key folks have options for more.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']That was indeed bad. And here I thought the worst line was Hal Jordan to Parallax:

"The bigger they are... the faster they burn!"

Also did anyone notice but WB basically spoiled half of the final battle scene when they released this trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thPVZ3bfGMI

That's essentially one half of the whole battle. After the trailer ends with Hal holding up a shield...
He punches Parallax into space by making some airplane propeller, and then spots the sun in outer space, and then punches Parallax into the sun with a boxing glove.

So that was practically 1/2 of the whole final battle scene.[/QUOTE]

Here's more beautifully well written dialog:

Scene: Hal Jordan asking Carol if she thinks he's brave enough, to which Carol Ferris responds:

"Hal, you have courage... because... you're courageous."

Scene: Hal reveals to his friend he is Green Lantern, to which friend responds:

"Wow, cool! You're a superhero! Don't superheroes get the girl?"

Scene: Hal is talking to his nephew after surviving an accident:

Nephew: "I'm so glad you weren't killed uncle Hal."
Hal: "Me too Jason... (dramatic pause, looks to the floor)... me too."

When you take lines out of context they always seem bad. The line about getting the girl was kinda funny I thought, since at that point he wasn't exactly hitting it off with Carol I think.

Also, did anyone else catch that Carol's call sign was Sapphire? Hint Hint...

[quote name='whoknows']It doesn't really bother me they didn't spend a lot of time on the final battle. For what the final battle was I thought it was fine.

They didn't send everyone, because
they already tried to fight Parallax and failed. They didn't want to risk anymore of the Corp on it so they were going to use the yellow ring, but Hal asked them to wait so see if he could beat it on his own without them resorting to using it.

I don't get why that's so hard for everyone to understand.[/QUOTE]

They sent a small squadron of 15-20 GL tops. They all died except sinestro. But now they're letting one lone guy try again instead of sending the whole corps is ridiculous even if they had the yellow ring as backup. They should have sent Hal some backup. Budget constraints were the real reason why it was only him. I mean read the comics. The corps always fights together against these mega threats, even if one hero emerges.

[quote name='tinman_licks']They sent a small squadron of 15-20 GL tops. They all died except sinestro. But now they're letting one lone guy try again instead of sending the whole corps is ridiculous even if they had the yellow ring as backup. They should have sent Hal some backup. Budget constraints were the real reason why it was only him. I mean read the comics. The corps always fights together against these mega threats, even if one hero emerges.[/QUOTE]

The ones that tried were supposed to be the best. If the best couldn't do it, they probably didn't think Hal would have been able to do it and were planning to use the ring, but of course he was able to do it because he's the hero.

SPOILERS - Well... just sort of...

Green Lantern Movie for Dummies - Recap using the Power of Common Sense

For those that have already seen the movie, you'll get a kick out of this especially. Think of it as The Onion's take!
For those that haven't, it shows why critics have given this film a negative review because of the Plot Holes this movie entails.

Credit to Topless Robot: http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/06/topless_robot_presents_the_best_scenes_from_the_gr.php

Scene 1 - Ferris Air Base (Control Center)

Blake Lively's Dad: As head of Ferris Air, I want to sell my super-awesome drones to the military. So I'm going have Hal Jordan and my daughter Blake Lively, my own two test pilots, fight them and presumably lose.

Military Guy: Huh? Why would you do that? Why would we be okay with that? You could have told your pilots to lose on purpose so we buy your drones. If you were even slightly intelligent, you would have definitely done that.

Blake Lively's Dad: Don't worry, gentlemen. Hal Jordan is such an asshole, he will be unable to resist trying to win. I promise.

Scene 2 - Ferris Air Base (Blake Lively's Dad's Office); after Hal and Blake return from air drone training

Blake Lively's Dad: Well, Hal, you used my daughter as a decoy and then cheated to defeat the drones.

Blake Lively: Specifically, you used me as a decoy, but didn't actually use that to your benefit, meaning you had me shot down for no reason whatsoever.

Blake Lively's Dad: Now the military is going to refuse the contract, and I'm going to have to fire countless employees. Good men will lose their livelihoods because of you.

Blake Lively: And although you're supposedly such an awesome pilot, you had a total freakout for no reason whatsoever and ended up destroying your incredibly expensive plane, too.

Hal Jordan: (shrugs) Oh well. Whatcha gonna do?

Blake Lively's Dad: Christ, what an asshole.

Scene 3 - Off the Coast; Abin Sur's spacecraft crashed

Abin Sur: Hal Jordan. The ring has chosen you because you are fearless.

(1 minute earlier - inside an energy ball)
Hal Jordan: I'm afraid of being in this crazy green energy ball!

(10 minutes earlier - during air training)
Hal Jordan: I'm afraid of dying in a test plane like my dad!

(15 minutes after getting the ring - in a bar with Blake)
Hal Jordan: I'm afraid of intimacy!

(25 minutes later - in Oa)
Hal Jordan: I'm afraid of being a Green Lantern!

(20 minutes later - in Hal's apartment)
Hal Jordan: I'm afraid I suck!

Blake Lively: You do suck. Hard

Scene 4 - Outside the bar

Newly Unemployed Man: Hal Jordan, you needlessly cost us our jobs at Air Ferris, apparently just to be a dick. We are going to beat you up outside this bar.

Hal Jordan: Hyah! (tries to throw punch, ends up throwing giant green fist; men go flying into walls and car windows)

Newly Unemployed Man: Really? The first use of your superpower is going to beat several men who you got fired unconscious?

Hal Jordan: Guess so!

Newly Unemployed Man: Christ, what an asshole. (falls unconscious)

Scene 5 - Government Laboratory

Hector Hammond: I am a quiet if awkward Xenobiology 101 teacher that shows no aggression or ill will toward anybody. I hope I don't get infected with an alien parasite that makes my head grow and makes me evil, because at the moment I'm significantly more sympathetic than Hal Jordan! Now, to dissect this purple alien!

(sticks hand in Abin Sur's wound, immediately gets infected with Parallax)

Hector Hammond: Well, shit.

Scene 6 - Oa; after Hal Jordan flies to Oa where 3,000 other Green Lanterns are gathered by Sinestro

Sinestrop: Lanterns! There is a new evil loose in the universe. It's killed a few Green Lanterns including Abin Sur and two whole planets. It's coming here to Oa. So prepare yourself for battle. It may take our lives... but it will never take... our freedom!

3,000 Green Lantern Corps: Bravehea-- we mean Green Lantern Corps! Green Lantern Corps! Hurray for battle cries and making planets glow in the dark with our rings!

(a minute later)

Jeremy Clarke Kilowog: Hal Jordan, now that you've arrived on Oa, let's train for two minutes.

(they train for two minutes; Sinestro arrives)

Sinestro: Hal Jordan, Abin Sur was the greatest Green Lantern ever. You embarrass him by wearing his ring. And even though my name sounds pure evil, and I kind of look like a bad guy with my pencil-thin mustache, the fact that I've been fighting for good in this movie so far but also because you've been a huge douchebag, I am obviously right about this. I'm also more likeable than you, too, even though I look like an intergalactic pedophile.

Hal Jordan: This Green Lantern shit is hard. I quit.

Sinestro: What?

Hal Jordan: Yeah, I'm going home. See if I can bang Blake Lively or something.

Sinestro: Seriously? You're chosen to guard part of the universe, and not only are you quitting after two minutes, leaving countless lives in jeopardy, you're not even going to try? How the hell are you the hero of this film?

Hal Jordan: Not sure. Sniff you jerks later! (flies off)

Jeremy Clarke Kilowog: Christ, what an asshole.

Scene 7 - Oa; Guardian's Circle

Sinestro: Guardians! There is a new evil loose in the universe. It's killed a few Green Lanterns including Abin Sur and two whole planets. It comes from the planet where Abin Sur imprisoned Parallax. Also, survivors say it's really yellow and evil, just like Parallax. Also, it looks like Parallax.

Guardians: ...

Sinestro: I think it might be Parallax.

Guardians: Okay, we'll get around to that.

Sinestro: Really? You're going to be morally ambiguous here? I know you've been dicks in the comics for years, but this is the very first movie. If you aren't clearly good, it makes the entire Green Lantern concept questionable to people who are learning about Green Lantern for the first time. And frankly, Hal isn't earning us any good will either.

Guardians: Um... we have to go do our hair.

Sinestro: Goddammit.

Scene 8 - Huge Party at Blake Lively's Dad's Mansion

Blake Lively's Dad: Well, Hal, despite you being a total prick, we got the military contract anyways. You are invited to this big fancy party that I'm throwing with the money I ended up saving after I fired all those people.

Hal Jordan: Awesome. (steals people's drinks even though there's an open bar)

Hector Hammond's Dad: I am going to think mean things about you, son, and then get on a helicopter.

Hector Hammond: I'm going to hear those mean things, because of my new ill-defined powers, and then I'm going to break your helicopter while it's in flight.

(Hector Hammond's Dad gets in helicopter, it takes off, Hector Hammond breaks it with his mind, it crashes at the edge of the party and slides length-wise through it across a pool of party goers, potentially killing dozens of people)

Blake Lively: Oh no! The helicopter is getting close to me!

Hal Jordan: I have finally decided to help! (puts helicopter on elaborate, ostentatious giant Hot Wheels track instead of just stopping it)

Every Single Other Person at the Party: Christ, what an asshole.

Scene 9 - Oa; Guardian's Circle; Sinestro and Guardians part 2

Sinestro: Well, guess fucking what? It was Parallax. Killed a bunch more Green Lanterns, too. Mind telling me what you know about Parallax now?

Guardians: (sighs) Okay. At one point we thought about fighting evil with the yellow emotion of fear in addition to the green emotion of willpower.

Sinestro: Willpower is not an emotion.

Guardians: Shut up. Anyways, turns out that the yellow power of fear was too powerful and uncontrollable and totally evil, and it even possessed one of the Guardians, who transformed into Parallax. So really, our messing with the yellow power of fear is what caused this entire problem in the first place.

Sinestro: I have an idea: Let's do that exact same thing. And maybe make a yellow power ring or something.

Guardians: That is the BEST. PLAN. EVER.

Scene 10 - Hal's apartment; after attacking Hector Hammond in Laboratory

Hal Jordan: I'm seriously afraid of being a Green Lantern.

Blake Lively: Jesus, really? Still? The movie is two-thirds over at this point. Can't you do something heroic?

Hal Jordan: Well, I just fought Hector Hammond. Although he totally kicked my ass and managed to kill his dad while I was there.

Blake Lively: That's not heroic at all. How did you even get away?

Hal Jordan: I don't really know. I kind of put my ring on him and it pushed him across the room. And then the scene just ended.

Blake Lively: You mean, you didn't follow him or anything?

Hal Jordan: Nope. Actually, the very next scene was Hector waking up in his own cozy bed in his own apartment, so it's not like he's even hiding or anything. Apparently I just couldn't care less what he does.

Blake Lively: Ugh. Look, Hal. You're clearly afraid of everything, ever. So obviously what the purple alien dude meant is that you aren't fearless, but that you have the power to overcome fear. Even though he specifically called you fearless and you've given zero evidence that you can actually overcome fear to any degree.

Hal Jordan: Huh? I wasn't listening. Anyways, I'm going to go away for a while and let Hector capture you. (flies off)

Blake Lively: Christ, what an asshole.

Scene 11 - Hector Hammond's apartment; after getting beat up by Green Lantern

Parallax: HEY, HECTOR.

Hector Hammond: Hey, Parallax.

Parallax: I AM GOING TO THE PLANET OA TO EAT EVERYBODY. WHAT ARE YOU UP TO?

Hector Hammond: Well, you made me evil, so I'm going to fuck around with Hal Jordan and Blake Lively because of some tenuous connection in our past that the movie only alluded to like five minutes ago,

Parallax: OKAY, COOL. HEY, HAL JORDAN WEARS THE RING OF THE DUDE WHO IMPRISONED ME, RIGHT? I THINK I'LL COME TO EARTH, EAT HIM AND ALL OF HUMANITY, AND THEN I'LL BE POWERFUL ENOUGH TO GO TO OA AND DEFEAT THE GUARDIANS AND ALL THE GREEN LANTERNS!

Hector Hammond: ...doesn't that mean you aren't powerful enough to defeat the Guardians and Green Lanterns right now?

Parallax: WELL... YES.

Hector Hammond: So... why were you going to Oa?
(pause)

Parallax: OH SHIT! I SEE WHAT YOU MEAN! I WAS ABOUT TO GET MY ASS KICKED!

Hector Hammond: Yeah, you were!

Parallax: I'M SO GLAD I CALLED!

Scene 12 - Oa; Guardian's Circle; Hal flies to Oa to speak with the Guardians

Hal Jordan: Guardians! I'm ready to be a hero now! Parallax is heading to Earth! And we don't have much time, because the movie is like 6/7ths over!

Guardians: Okay... what do you want?

Hal Jordan: I want you to send all the Green Lanterns to Earth to fight Parallax!

Guardians: (pretending to think) ...nah.

Hal Jordan: Really?

Guardians: Really.

Hal Jordan: Well, let me fight on Earth's behalf!

Guardians: Huh?

Hal Jordan: I said, let me fight on Ea--

Guardians: We know what you said. But did we ever tell you, you couldn't fight for Earth?

Hal Jordan: Well... no...

Guardians: Actually, have we told you anything at all in this movie? Ever?

Hal Jordan: Um... I guess not.

Guardians: Have we ever appeared to have given the tiniest shit about you? Even when you quit the Green Lantern Corps but still took your Power Ring with you?

Hal Jordan: No, not really.

Guardians: So why would you ask us permission to fight for your own planet?

Hal Jordan: Well... I guess I needed a plot device for a reason to fight the Parallax solo, rather than look like a tool fighting alongside the other 3,000 Green Lantern Corps that came by to hear Sinestro's Braveheart speech about an hour ago.

Guardians: Go ahead. Knock yourself out.

Hal Jordan: Oh. I guess I'll be going then. (flies back to Earth)

Guardians: Christ, what an asshole.

Scene 13 - Ferris Airbase Hanger; Hector captures a sleeping Blake Lively

Hector Hammond: I have captured Blake Lively!

Hal Jordan: You certainly have. Let her go, and you can have my Green Lantern ring.

Hector Hammond: Bullshit. Only people who are worthy can wear a Power Ring. I've never read a Green Lantern comic and even I know that.

Hal Jordan: No, it's cool. Seriously. (tosses ring to Hector, Hector puts it on)

Hector Hammond: Holy shit! (uses ring to blast wall) Uh-oh, the GL fans are going to lose their shit over this.

Hal Jordan: Ha ha! I lied! You have to be chosen to use the ring!

Hector Hammond: Dude. I just used it. You saw me. I clearly don't have to be chosen.

(ring suddenly tases Hector for no discernable reason; Parallax breaks into the building)

Parallax: I SEE THAT GREEN LANTERN! HE'S STILL ALIVE! HECTOR HAMMOND, YOU HAVE FAILED ME! I EAT YOU NOW! OM NOM NOM NOM.

(Parallax eats Hector's soul, drops body to the floor, which is still wearing the Power Ring)

Hal Jordan: Hey.

Parallax: HEY... SO... YOU GOING TO SUMMON YOUR RING TO YOU AND FIGHT ME OR SOMETHING?

Hal Jordan: Apparently I can't do that. I have to walk over and pick it up.

Parallax: REALLY? THAT'S BULLSHIT. OH WELL, YOU TAKE SOME TIME TO GET YOUR RING AND TALK TO BLAKE LIVELY AND COLLECT YOURSELF. I'LL JUST LEAVE AND EAT SOME PEOPLE IN THE CITY OR SOMETHING. TAKE YOUR TIME.

Hal Jordan: Thanks, dude!

Hector Hammond's Corpse: Christ, what an asshole.

Scene 14 - Outer Space; after Hal uses a propeller to blow past Parallax into space

Hal Jordan: Parallax!

Parallax: VAN WILDER!

Hal Jordan: It is the final battle! I am one lone, incredibly shitty Green Lantern!

Parallax: I AM THE ULTIMATE EVIL IN THE UNIVERSE WHO CAN DESTROY WHOLE PLANETS AND HORDES OF GREEN LANTERNS WITH THE EXCEPTION OF ABIN SUR!

Hal Jordan: Yes! But when you were chasing me, I flew really close to the sun, and now you're being sucked into its gravitational pull!
(pause)

Parallax: OH, SHIT.

Hal Jordan: Yep!

Parallax: GOD, THIS IS EMBARRASSING. IT'S THE GALACTIC EQUIVALENT OF NOT LOOKING BOTH WAYS BEFORE CROSSING THE STREET.

Hal Jordan: Seriously. I can't believe all the Green Lanterns had such a tough time with you, because you are one stupid motherfucker.

Parallax: SERIOUSLY, IT'S LIKE A LOONEY TUNES CARTOON, WHERE WILE E. COYOTE MAKES A PIT AND COVERS IT WITH STICKS OR SOME SHIT. I CAN'T BELIEVE I FELL FOR IT.

Hal Jordan: You know what the best part is? Even though you were defeated by your own stupidity, we're all going to pretend that this fulfills my heroic journey and all the Green Lanterns will like me now! Even Sinestro!

Parallax: fuck. REALLY?

Hal Jordan: Yep!

Parallax: CHRIST, WHAAT AN AAAAAASSSSHHHHOOOOOLLLLL-- (gets sucked into the sun and burns up)

Scene 15 - Oa; after the credits roll

Sinestro: I have been significantly more heroic than Hal Jordan this entire film. I tried to protect the universe. I actually fought Parallax instead of just tricking him into flying into the sun. I called Hal Jordan a douche, but only while he was totally being a douche. I only wanted the clearly evil Yellow Power Ring to fight the evil of Parallax and save lives. And just a minute ago, I talked about how awesome Hal was in front of the whole Green Lantern Corps for the film's final scene.

Sinestro: (continues) I have been a good guy for the entirety of the movie... while Hal's only been a hero for maybe 10%, 15% tops.

(roll credits)

Sinestro: I'm not putting on the Yellow Power Ring.

Hal Jordan: Oh yes you are.

Sinestro: No I'm not. I have no motivation to do it. Parallax is dead, albeit in a very stupid way. I've been a good guy the entire film. It's totally against my character as established throughout the movie.

Hal Jordan: Sorry, you're the bad guy in the sequel.

Sinestro: There's not going to be a sequel! This movie sucked! It doesn't even look like we're going to break even!

Hal Jordan: Maybe, but you still gotta put it on. Just in case.

Sinestro: Goddammit. (puts on Yellow Power Ring, his outfit transforms into his Sinestro Corps uniform)

Hal Jordan: Thanks, dude! Sniff you later! (flies off)

Sinestro: Christ, what an asshole.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='perdition(troy']love the fact that the OP is biased against the movie he made a thread about.[/QUOTE]

At this point it goes beyond bias into pure hatred.

[quote name='perdition(troy']love the fact that the OP is biased against the movie he made a thread about.[/QUOTE]
So... where does it say that I have to keep defending the thread I created?

If you look at the progression of this thread, it started with basically me being an actual GL asking if anyone is interested in this movie.

Then it went to reviews are coming in and it's mixed so far.

To WTF is WB placing an Embargo on the movie reviews for?

To giving my own review a 3/5 (thinking about it now, I'm now giving it a 2.5/5)

To top critic reviews coming in and they're not just negative, but horrible.

To GL director leaving the film franchise.

And GL being a box office bomb for WB.

So, hell if 80% of the media is bringing out news after news every other day and even poking fun out of this GL movie, then why should I defend it? If anything, I'll post it here too!

Same thing I did with X-Men First Class thread. Opposite reaction actually. Started out with asking if anyone is looking forward to the film, because I wasn't - even made fun of Last Stand and Wolverine; to reviews for XFC are coming in... and it's a actually a home run with the critics. And so I left it at that.

If it's good, it's good. If it's GL bad, then brace yourselves.

:applause:

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']SPOILERS - Well... just sort of...

Green Lantern Movie for Dummies - Recap using the Power of Common Sense

For those that have already seen the movie, you'll get a kick out of this especially. Think of it as The Onion's take!
For those that haven't, it shows why critics have given this film a negative review because of the Plot Holes this movie entails.

(Read below)
[/QUOTE]
Oh god that was classic! :applause:

Bravo!!!

I actually now feel bad for Sinestro.

Scene 13 - Ferris Airbase Hanger; Hector captures a sleeping Blake Lively

Hector Hammond
: I have captured Blake Lively!

Hal Jordan: You certainly have. Let her go, and you can have my Green Lantern ring.

Hector Hammond: Bullshit. Only people who are worthy can wear a Power Ring. I've never read a Green Lantern comic and even I know that.

Hal Jordan: No, it's cool. Seriously. (tosses ring to Hector, Hector puts it on)

Hector Hammond: Holy shit! (uses ring to blast wall) Uh-oh, the GL fans are going to lose their shit over this.

Hal Jordan: Ha ha! I lied! You have to be chosen to use the ring!

Hector Hammond: Dude. I just used it. You saw me. I clearly don't have to be chosen.

(ring suddenly tases Hector for no discernable reason; Parallax breaks into the building)

Parallax: I SEE THAT GREEN LANTERN! HE'S STILL ALIVE! HECTOR HAMMOND, YOU HAVE FAILED ME! I EAT YOU NOW! OM NOM NOM NOM.

(Parallax eats Hector's soul, drops body to the floor, which is still wearing the Power Ring)

Hal Jordan: Hey.

Parallax: HEY... SO... YOU GOING TO SUMMON YOUR RING TO YOU AND FIGHT ME OR SOMETHING?

Hal Jordan: Apparently I can't do that. I have to walk over and pick it up.

Parallax: REALLY? THAT'S BULLSHIT. OH WELL, YOU TAKE SOME TIME TO GET YOUR RING AND TALK TO BLAKE LIVELY AND COLLECT YOURSELF. I'LL JUST LEAVE AND EAT SOME PEOPLE IN THE CITY OR SOMETHING. TAKE YOUR TIME.

Hal Jordan: Thanks, dude!

:lol: :lol:

Just came back from this one..........

Honestly it wasn't as bad as you peeps said it would be. It was OK , but the best nor the worse....

Does anyone think that Parellax sounds like
Unicron ?

whoa wait a minute...I just read online that the guy who did the voice of Parellax is also the same guy who did
Lex Luthor in JL/JLU!

also

Honestly I see nothing that would make Sinestro go bad like in that end scene... In the end he Hal earned his respect and it wasn't like Hal did something that would get Sinestro kicked out of the GLC.....so what was the point of him going bad ?

[quote name='whoknows']Maybe Sinestro
Isn't really attempting to go bad, but the ring causes him to?
[/QUOTE]

I dunno.... I thought Sinestro was a power hungry GL that got kicked out of the corp and therefore he got the ring to seek revenge against the guardians........... still there is no reason for him to have the yellow ring at this time.

See this is why Sinestro is an interesting character, because he and Hal and are basically the same person, just with different approaches. Sinestro ends up bringing order to his home planet, but does it by ruling them with fear. He doesn't see any problem with that, but obviously the corps didn't see it the same way. He just doesn't think will can accomplish what the corps is designed to. In the movie I'd assume the temptation of power is too much for him to resist.

[quote name='Clak'] In the movie I'd assume the temptation of power is too much for him to resist.[/QUOTE]

I think this where the movie screwed up then. Something seemed to have been cut so I suspect the BR release will have an extended scene explaining that last scene better.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Just came back from this one..........

Honestly it wasn't as bad as you peeps said it would be. It was OK , but the best nor the worse....

Does anyone think that Parellax sounds like
Unicron ?

whoa wait a minute...I just read online that the guy who did the voice of Parellax is also the same guy who did
Lex Luthor in JL/JLU!

also

Honestly I see nothing that would make Sinestro go bad like in that end scene... In the end he Hal earned his respect and it wasn't like Hal did something that would get Sinestro kicked out of the GLC.....so what was the point of him going bad ?
[/QUOTE]
Your answer explained in Laymans Terms just on the previous page:

Scene 15 - Oa; after the credits roll

Sinestro
: I have been significantly more heroic than Hal Jordan this entire film. I tried to protect the universe. I actually fought Parallax instead of just tricking him into flying into the sun. I called Hal Jordan a douche, but only while he was totally being a douche. I only wanted the clearly evil Yellow Power Ring to fight the evil of Parallax and save lives. And just a minute ago, I talked about how awesome Hal was in front of the whole Green Lantern Corps for the film's final scene.

Sinestro: (continues) I have been a good guy for the entirety of the movie... while Hal's only been a hero for maybe 10%, 15% tops.

(roll credits)

Sinestro: I'm not putting on the Yellow Power Ring.

Hal Jordan: Oh yes you are.

Sinestro: No I'm not. I have no motivation to do it. Parallax is dead, albeit in a very stupid way. I've been a good guy the entire film. It's totally against my character as established throughout the movie.

Hal Jordan: Sorry, you're the bad guy in the sequel.

Sinestro: There's not going to be a sequel! This movie sucked! It doesn't even look like we're going to break even!

Hal Jordan: Maybe, but you still gotta put it on. Just in case.

Sinestro: Goddammit. (puts on Yellow Power Ring, his outfit transforms into his Sinestro Corps uniform)

Hal Jordan: Thanks, dude! Sniff you later! (flies off)

Sinestro: Christ, what an asshole.

bread's done
Back