Green Lantern Film - Box Office Flops (Director Leaves; Reviews=Bad; WB puts Embargo)

Well he was the one who urged them to make the ring in the first place, I just assumed it was because he intended to use it himself.

[quote name='Clak']See this is why Sinestro is an interesting character, because he and Hal and are basically the same person, just with different approaches.[/QUOTE]

The animated Green Lantern from a couple years ago (not Emerald Knights) did this well: it was basically "Training Day" in space, with Sinestro as Denzel to Hal's Ethan Hawke.

[quote name='Clak']Well he was the one who urged them to make the ring in the first place, I just assumed it was because he intended to use it himself.[/QUOTE]

True, but it felt like his true motive behind it wasn't shown.... I mean he wasn't like pissed at Hal or the Guardians and the Guardians pretty much said screw you when he asked for help. If anything it's Hal that should have taken the ring. There has got to be several deleted scenes. Weither we get it as a deleted scene section or integrated into a DC, there has got to be something going into more detail.

[quote name='trq']The animated Green Lantern from a couple years ago (not Emerald Knights) did this well: it was basically "Training Day" in space, with Sinestro as Denzel to Hal's Ethan Hawke.[/QUOTE]

Need to re-watch this myself (first flight)

from a non green lantern reader standpoint it was an entertaining movie. not the best comic movie, but not as horrible as these posts say. i think alot of ppl here might be too young to remember conan the destroyer or kull the conquerer or the original captain america, and fantastic four movies... those were utter crap and not worth any viewing.
green lantern is worth watching once.... although the end is weak imo

cg integration is top notch

[quote name='Clak']Maybe he sees the guardians as being weak and intends to take over.[/QUOTE]

Again there is no indication in the movie where Sinestro is pissed off at the Guardians to warrant such action.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Again there is no indication in the movie where Sinestro is pissed off at the Guardians to warrant such action.[/QUOTE]

It is implied, not everything needs to be explicitly stated in a movie. I'm not sure why you insist that there must be a deleted scene but Sinestro's characterization is such that he thinks he can better protect than the guardians. It is implicit when he begins stating that fear is a more powerful emotion than will for the guardians to harness in their fight against Paralax.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']It is implied, not everything needs to be explicitly stated in a movie. I'm not sure why you insist that there must be a deleted scene but Sinestro's characterization is such that he thinks he can better protect than the guardians. It is implicit when he begins stating that fear is a more powerful emotion than will for the guardians to harness in their fight against Paralax.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, but it really feels like a lot of scenes were cut from the final product, which happens all the time for pacing reasons. I think the line "Fight fear with Fear.." got a lot of criticism from reviewers...

[quote name='ITDEFX']Again there is no indication in the movie where Sinestro is pissed off at the Guardians to warrant such action.[/QUOTE]

They basically gave into their fear of losing against Parralax, and Sinestro didn't. That's all the motivation he needs. GLs are supposed to be able to conquer fear, if the guardians themselves are afraid then they have to go. That's his motivation. He doesn't have to turn to the camera and say all that. If they do make another movie I'm sure he'll be given time for a lengthy speech on why the guardians are no longer fit.

I saw the movie last night with friends. It isn't that bad. Not an all-time classic, but I felt satisfied for the most part. I think some of Ryan Reynolds dialogue was dry at time and some of the humor fell flat, but I didn't feel ripped off after watching it. The constructs were well done IMO.

Yea , just saw this last night with the wife , it was alrite so I dont understand all the bad rep the film is getting??? I mean its a movie , just go & enjoy it for what its worth. Doesnt matter how close to the comic cannon it is .... hollywood does this all the time!!! Prime example .... I just finished reading 'Jurassic Park' ... & I must say they botched up the film pretty bad. If I were Michael Crichton i'd be pissed off!! I can see the sequel to GL being better ... so have faith

[quote name='ninjalunchbox79']Yea , just saw this last night with the wife , it was alrite so I dont understand all the bad rep the film is getting??? I mean its a movie , just go & enjoy it for what its worth. Doesnt matter how close to the comic cannon it is .... hollywood does this all the time!!! Prime example .... I just finished reading 'Jurassic Park' ... & I must say they botched up the film pretty bad. If I were Michael Crichton i'd be pissed off!! I can see the sequel to GL being better ... so have faith[/QUOTE]
The bad rep usually makes people enjoy the movie more considering they expect the worst.

Me and my friend were split, until I showed him this from the DC Message Boards:

http://dcboards.warnerbros.com/web/thread.jspa?threadID=2000248606&tstart=15

Even they, probably the biggest GL fanboys know the movie wasn't that good and laughed this movies horrible plot and script off!

After reading that, even my friend understood why it got all the negative reaction it deserved.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I saw the movie last night with friends. It isn't that bad. Not an all-time classic, but I felt satisfied for the most part. I think some of Ryan Reynolds dialogue was dry at time and some of the humor fell flat IMO.[/QUOTE]
The bad rep usually makes people enjoy the movie more considering they expect the worst.

Me and my friend were split, until I showed him this from the DC Message Boards themselves:

Even they, probably the biggest GL fanboys, know the movie wasn't that good and laughed this movie's horrible plot and script off!

After reading that, even my friend understood why it got all the negative reaction it deserved.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']The bad rep usually makes people enjoy the movie more considering they expect the worst.

Me and my friend were split, until I showed him this from the DC Message Boards themselves:

Even they, probably the biggest GL fanboys, know the movie wasn't that good and laughed this movie's horrible plot and script off!

After reading that, even my friend understood why it got all the negative reaction it deserved.[/QUOTE]

I haven't even seen the film and that was awesome.

Plot holes like this really irritate me, for me this movie would be a chore to sit through.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']It is implied, not everything needs to be explicitly stated in a movie. I'm not sure why you insist that there must be a deleted scene but Sinestro's characterization is such that he thinks he can better protect than the guardians. It is implicit when he begins stating that fear is a more powerful emotion than will for the guardians to harness in their fight against Paralax.[/QUOTE]

I agree. This is likely the jumping off point for the sequel. The tension between the guardians and Sinestro may lead him to secretly train with the yellow ring or something. They have time to develop the backstory of Sinestro in the sequel. Trying to cram all of that in this movie would have made it too overstuffed.

Heh, he does look like Raynor. But I highly doubt Raynor would be chosen over Stewart and Garner, if they don't stick with Hal, if they make a second film.

[quote name='Clak']I'd rather have Gardner really. He's just such an ass, it would be hilarious.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind a Death of Superman adaptation. It can have Gardner, AND be a great way to reboot Superman.

bread's done
Back