Green Man Gaming (Steam) Deals: 25% Off Hitman

a noob question here so go easy on me please :)...

i never preloaded a game on steam before until i did yesterday with darksiders 2, so the game downloaded most of the file but a little is left and says download suspended, is this normal? would that part be downloaded on release day? thanks and easy on the flaming, i have a shield!

flameshield.jpg

[quote name='dEvAnGeL']a noob question here so go easy on me please :)...

i never preloaded a game on steam before until i did yesterday with darksiders 2, so the game downloaded most of the file but a little is left and says download suspended, is this normal? would that part be downloaded on release day? thanks and easy on the flaming, i have a shield!

flameshield.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yep. Just needs a decryption key (available when its released)

[quote name='sunghost']No. If you want it on Steam, you have to buy it on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily true. I purchased from Nuuvem a while back and emailed the request to [email protected] and got back a key that did activate on steam.

Pretty much everyone I´ve heard from that went the website route got non-steamable keys. I don´t know whether they are still emailing steamable keys and the turn around time is longer (about 12 hours depending on what time it is in Poland) but worth a shot if steam is important to you but not important enough to hold off until the next Witcher 2 sale that may not match the price of GMG.

[quote name='SlightlyOffTrack']After trading in games I got for free from GMG, I just got The Witcher 2 for $5.79. Wow.[/QUOTE]

Looks like GMG will have all the action until at least Labor Day.

I wish I had held off my Witcher 2 purchase, I have a good chunk of trade-in credit myself and would love to burn it on a decent title with a solid deal. Unfortunately, all the good stuff that was offered were games I already own (Witcher 2, Metro, CoH) or games I don´t want to buy for any price (Darksiders, old Hitman titles, etc.)

I´m crossing my fingers for a solid Alan Wake or Skyrim deal from these guys or else I´ll be picking them up from Steam this winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chaozhound']It won't let me use my debit or my credit card and they are both Visa which it says is acceptable. But okay.[/QUOTE]

They are based in UK, so your bank might block it. Call em up to let em know or use paypal.

[quote name='Chaozhound']It won't let me use my debit or my credit card and they are both Visa which it says is acceptable. But okay.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='sittinghawk3']They are based in UK, so your bank might block it. Call em up to let em know or use paypal.[/QUOTE]

Call your bank/CU/number on the back of the card. The non-US sites tend to trigger fraud alerts -- did with mine.

Well goody, I just checked out with Witcher 2 for $12.79 after discount. I checked to use my $12 trade in credit so that the net cost would be $0.79, but it looks like that wasn't applied and I was charged the full $12.79. I submitted a help request and hope to hear back from them soon.

Do you guys think I can get a $12 refund onto my credit card in exchange for the $12 credit in my account? How good and how quick/responsive is their customer service?

Should I have my credit card provider dispute the transaction, just in case?

I haven't downloaded the game or viewed my keys on the site, but I see the GOG code is included in the confirmation email. So, I know a full refund is not possible but that's not what I want. Just to exchange my trade-in credit for that same amount charged to my credit card. Not sure why it didn't go through. I'm quite confident I checked it.

[quote name='inm8num2']Well goody, I just checked out with Witcher 2 for $12.79 after discount. I checked to use my $12 trade in credit so that the net cost would be $0.79, but it looks like that wasn't applied and I was charged the full $12.79. I submitted a help request and hope to hear back from them soon.

Do you guys think I can get a $12 refund onto my credit card in exchange for the $12 credit in my account? How good and how quick/responsive is their customer service?

I haven't downloaded the game or viewed my keys on the site, but I see the GOG code is included in the confirmation email. So, I know a full refund is not possible but that's not what I want. Just to exchange my trade-in credit for that same amount charged to my credit card. Not sure why it didn't go through. I'm quite confident I checked it.[/QUOTE]

Not trying to get on you, but I don't really think this is what credit card chargebacks are supposed to be for. Seems a but harsh to try to jump to that right away, especially when this just happened, you just emailed CS, you don't know how they'll respond, and you have like 30 days to do a chargeback anyways if you really wanted to go that way.

Just wait and see what happens. They'll probably just refund you and do the credit thing would be my guess.

Oh no, you didn't get on me at all. I agree with you that chargebacks are for very specific, peculiar situations. I guess I just thought of it as a final resort but am a bit impatient.

I hope they can do the partial refund/trade-in exchange. I don't know much about their customer service or its reputation. They have a phone number [+44 (0) 330 500 1515] but since I'm in the US I'm not sure if I can call without getting charged for it.

[quote name='inm8num2']Oh no, you didn't get on me at all. I agree with you that chargebacks are for very specific, peculiar situations. I guess I just thought of it as a final resort but am a bit impatient.

I hope they can do the partial refund/trade-in exchange. I don't know much about their customer service or its reputation. They have a phone number [+44 (0) 330 500 1515] but since I'm in the US I'm not sure if I can call without getting charged for it.[/QUOTE]

Here is a handy guide on chargebacks written for consumers as provided by the state of California:

http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/credit_card_chargeback_rights

If you believe the merchant has made a billing error and they wont resolve it within a fair time period, then I think you have nothing to apologize for getting your money back. I think it is odd folks are so quick to side with the merchant on a forum titled Cheap Ass Gamer. Especially on a non-Amazon PCDD thread ;)

And it is crazy that GMG doesnt offer a US CSR number. The money they would save on chargebacks would probably pay for the minimal expense of having a US number that would forward all their calls over VOIP to wherever they run their customer service. So definitely dont feel bad.

I'm really tempted by the Witcher 2 for $12 and change...but I feel I can wait until it hits $7.50 or less. Blasphemy for console games for sure...but after my first Steam sale I see discounts in a whole new light.

[quote name='inm8num2']Oh no, you didn't get on me at all. I agree with you that chargebacks are for very specific, peculiar situations. I guess I just thought of it as a final resort but am a bit impatient.

I hope they can do the partial refund/trade-in exchange. I don't know much about their customer service or its reputation. They have a phone number [+44 (0) 330 500 1515] but since I'm in the US I'm not sure if I can call without getting charged for it.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't get too worried. As a final resort you could always work it out with your CC. From my experience most CC companies would probably just give you a courtesy credit for an amount like this. Overseas stores usually take a bit longer, but at least gamersgate has always resolved every issue. Keep us updated as I think everyone is curious as to how GMG handles CS issues. I do know that on occasion there is a rep on the site who would PM people with issues.

[quote name='nategator']Here is a handy guide on chargebacks written for consumers as provided by the state of California:

http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/credit_card_chargeback_rights

If you believe the merchant has made a billing error and they wont resolve it within a fair time period, then I think you have nothing to apologize for getting your money back. I think it is odd folks are so quick to side with the merchant on a forum titled Cheap Ass Gamer. Especially on a non-Amazon PCDD thread ;)

And it is crazy that GMG doesnt offer a US CSR number. The money they would save on chargebacks would probably pay for the minimal expense of having a US number that would forward all their calls over VOIP to wherever they run their customer service. So definitely dont feel bad.[/QUOTE]

Did you actually read that article?

"The types of "billing errors" include:
  1. Charges you did not authorize;
  2. Charges for undelivered goods or services;
  3. Charges for goods or services different from what was represented or of the wrong quantity;
  4. Charges for goods that were not timely delivered"
This doesn't clearly fall in either of those categories. At most there is an issue with the amount authorized. I don't think that list is exhaustive at all but it's also not the best article to support your point.

No one is siding with the merchant here. I was just pointing out that he does have time to try to resolve it with the merchant before jumping to a chargeback. And no one is blaming anyone, but there does exist the possibility he just got confused during the checkout process. I have before with GMG because they have a weird checkout system and I've had to go back re-do transactions when I notice my credit is not applying on the final confirmations screen. In the end it's GMG's fault for not having the best checkout system, but as a consumer you also have the responsibility to make a good faith effort to work things out with the merchant.

[quote name='shaggyc']Dear ester shows requires capsule, but also cannot be traded in. Does it redeem on steam?[/QUOTE]

I was kind of wondering this too. I'd preferred Steam but would settle for Desura. I have the feeling GMG's Dear Esther doesn't redeem on anything though so I'll probably pass even though it's cheap.

[quote name='Motoki']I was kind of wondering this too. I'd preferred Steam but would settle for Desura. I have the feeling GMG's Dear Esther doesn't redeem on anything though so I'll probably pass even though it's cheap.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... that's what I was thinking... is this even worth it if you've played the source mod?

[quote name='Motoki']I was kind of wondering this too. I'd preferred Steam but would settle for Desura. I have the feeling GMG's Dear Esther doesn't redeem on anything though so I'll probably pass even though it's cheap.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they fear quick and high trade in rate?

god damn it, i was ready for some more copies of war in the north for 4$ so i could get for friends to play with and Dear Esther is the replacement? what the fuck?

[quote name='crystalklear64']god damn it, i was ready for some more copies of war in the north for 4$ so i could get for friends to play with and Dear Esther is the replacement? what the fuck?[/QUOTE]

ya what's with the no War in the North?

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']It was on sale earlier today for $44.99. Since GMG is UK based their prices flip for the next day at odd times (for US customers that is).[/QUOTE]

That explains it, thank you.

[quote name='dEvAnGeL']any word on when we will be getting the sleeping dogs keys?[/QUOTE]

supposedly they are starting to issue them based on emails some users have gotten but I haven't read about anyone actually having gotten their key yet just being told it's coming today

[quote name='inm8num2']Well goody, I just checked out with Witcher 2 for $12.79 after discount. I checked to use my $12 trade in credit so that the net cost would be $0.79, but it looks like that wasn't applied and I was charged the full $12.79. I submitted a help request and hope to hear back from them soon.

I haven't downloaded the game or viewed my keys on the site, but I see the GOG code is included in the confirmation email. So, I know a full refund is not possible but that's not what I want. Just to exchange my trade-in credit for that same amount charged to my credit card. Not sure why it didn't go through. I'm quite confident I checked it.[/QUOTE]

Just to follow up - I received a response this morning from GMG. They said they can't amend a completed purchase, and they can't do a refund since there was a key provided in the email. They did offer to add a credit to my account as a gesture of good will, which is very nice of them.

Hmm, I would really prefer to have the funds charged back to my credit card, since I don't foresee too many purchases at GMG. But, it's quite better than nothing.

Bought High School Dreams for 99 cents. Hopefully it keeps me occupied for most the day. :\ Ew securom and these characters look like they are in their 30s.

[quote name='CheapyD']Ordered Sleeping Dogs for $36 with code PCGMR-GREEN-SUMMR. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Ditto, applied some credit to take it down a tad bit further. I received my key at completion the transaction and have already added it to steam where it shows as Sleeping Dogs Pre-order :cool:

Edit: I should also note that the game was listed at 49.99 for a while there, glad I held out till today as they dropped it back down to 44.99 again. I scooped it immediately.

[quote name='pROvIs']Bah thats annoying. I preordered weeks ago and still have no key.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, WTF! I ordered a while ago and still nothing.

[quote name='pROvIs']Bah thats annoying. I preordered weeks ago and still have no key.[/QUOTE]
GMG needs to work on this problem, same happened with the darksiders 2 keys

how about we bombard them with tweets to see if they wake the fuck up!!!

I don't really understand the point of preordering if you aren't getting the key before people who didn't preorder. I know its a minor qualm but its very frustrating and seems to happen on every preorder I have through them.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']The free games I have accumulated over the past few months are now resellable for about $0.50 each. What are the chances these will go any higher?[/QUOTE]

I've noticed that too but I also noticed most seem to be on sale right now. At minimum, I'd wait until they go off sale and see if they go up a little from the 50 cent trade in value. I have seen some go up in trade in value in the past when the promotions on those games were over, but of course there's no guarantee.

Anyway, I am holding onto my 50 cent trades at least a little while longer.

I haven't traded in a game for less than $2, and this includes games that were free. The free games are usually just a ploy to get you to sign up for an account and then give you a decent trade in at some point. So I would hold on and see what other promotions pop up with them.

Just a heads up, but it appears many of us have been getting EU keys for Sleeping Dogs. I pre-ordered the Limited Edition back in May (the only one available at the time I believe), and my key was listed as a EU key when I just activated it on Steam. Same goes for many other people.

I'm really hoping this isn't going to be a problem. I'm worried I'm going to have to wait until Friday to play, the EU key is going to screw up my American account, there will be things censored or changed from the American release, or any combination of those three things. I'm not TOO worried (I remember a similar thing happening with either Deus Ex or Dead Island), but it still bothers me a little.

[quote name='BMXJouster']Just a heads up, but it appears many of us have been getting EU keys for Sleeping Dogs. I pre-ordered the Limited Edition back in May (the only one available at the time I believe), and my key was listed as a EU key when I just activated it on Steam. Same goes for many other people.

I'm really hoping this isn't going to be a problem. I'm worried I'm going to have to wait until Friday to play, the EU key is going to screw up my American account, there will be things censored or changed from the American release, or any combination of those three things. I'm not TOO worried (I remember a similar thing happening with either Deus Ex or Dead Island), but it still bothers me a little.[/QUOTE]

This is concerning. This is the first major new game I've bought off this website and I only did it because I was promised "region free" games. Of course there is always some concern about a steam account being tagged, especially when mine has 300-400 games worth thousands of dollars. In addition, I just looked at my account on GreenManGaming and it says I own "Sleeping Dogs Digital Edition (NA)". I would assume the NA means North America so it pisses me off a little if they are giving me a EU code.

[quote name='BMXJouster']Just a heads up, but it appears many of us have been getting EU keys for Sleeping Dogs. I pre-ordered the Limited Edition back in May (the only one available at the time I believe), and my key was listed as a EU key when I just activated it on Steam. Same goes for many other people.

I'm really hoping this isn't going to be a problem. I'm worried I'm going to have to wait until Friday to play, the EU key is going to screw up my American account, there will be things censored or changed from the American release, or any combination of those three things. I'm not TOO worried (I remember a similar thing happening with either Deus Ex or Dead Island), but it still bothers me a little.[/QUOTE]

Yeah this concerns me, I ordered mine June 1st from their website and it definately says Sleeping Dogs (NA) for my purchase. I have yet to receive my key or any email giving me my key, while hearing of people ordering today getting their key with their purchase email while the rest of us have to play the waiting game.

[quote name='m_m23']Yeah this concerns me, I ordered mine June 1st from their website and it definately says Sleeping Dogs (NA) for my purchase. I have yet to receive my key or any email giving me my key, while hearing of people ordering today getting their key with their purchase email while the rest of us have to play the waiting game.[/QUOTE]

One word: cargeback

And then buy from Amazon. Since they only sell NA versions you pretty much are guaranteed that you will not run into this problem.

Too bad to hear this, although I don´t dabble in pre-orders myself it´s pretty obvious they´ve been very aggressive on price these past few months. More competition = good.

bread's done
Back