GS TIV & Promos: Old thread, check first/last posts for link to new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
New thread located here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7529052

WHEN REPORTING VALUES PLEASE POST BASE VALUES & SYSTEM IT IS FOR.

Upcoming Promos:

Current Promos:
GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

Tiered Trade Offer. (Ends 9/5/10)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Get 10% extra in-store credit when you trade any game, 20% extra when you trade 3 or 30% when you trade 5 or more.

Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Offer good towards games normally accepted in trade only. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 08/09/10 - 09/05/10.[/QUOTE]

Save $40 on Madden NFL 11. (Ends 8/22/10)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Save $40 on Madden NFL when you bring in any two select games.

Offer valid toward a new copy of Madden NFL 2011 only. Madden releases 8/10. Release date subject to change. $40 savings is net after trades. Offer and qualifying titles for trade subject to change without notice. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. No rainchecks. See store associate for details. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 08/09/10 - 08/22/10[/QUOTE]

Power Trade 25% - Dead Rising 2, Halo Reach, Madden NFL 11, Metroid: Other M. (Ends 8/22/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Limited Time Power Trade: Get 25% extra in-store credit when you trade your old games toward a new Dead Rising 2, Halo Reach, Madden NFL 2011 or Metroid: Other M.

Full trade value amount must be applied toward pre-order/purchase of a new copy of Dead Rising 2, Halo Reach, Madden NFL 2011 or Metroid: Other M. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. Offer valid only toward games normally accepted in trade. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 08/09/10 - 08/22/10. [/QUOTE]

Extra $20 trade-in credit on handheld hardware. (Ends 9/5/10)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Bring in your DS or PSP today and get a $20 extra in-store credit.

PSPgo trade excluded. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 08/09/10 - 09/05/10.[/QUOTE]

First post contains promo information. The second post contains useful information and frequently asked questions. Third post has the 360/Wii/PS3 values. Fourth post has the PS2/GC values. Fifth post has DS/PSP/GBA values.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mizzou75']why would you expect to get more than edge?[/QUOTE]

I thought the promo was twenty five percent extra towards any new game?

The ps3 trade in for $200 is tempting.

I have 360 and ps3 but rarely will I play ps3 anymore. I would trade in ps3, a second controller, a headset, and a game and probably get around 250 with edge. I'll be able to buy off NHL 11 and have like 190 left over. It lasts till 8/8 so I have time to think. Should I keep ps3 and just have it laying around or trade it in for a very good deal?

[quote name='rjbooth']because there is a 25% going on[/QUOTE]

it's 25% towards a pre-order/new release. he said he bought a new version of just cause 2, which wouldn't qualify.

edit: oh i see it says any new game. i thought it was just new/recent releases. my bad.

Hey CAGs I just wanted some of your opinions on this PS3 deal. I have a 40 gig PS3 that I barely use. I was thinking about trading it in for a new PS3. Do you think I should keep it, or trade it in for the credit?

Just out of curiosity, how many people who have taken advantage of the PS3 trade-in got to do it successfully without a warranty sticker? I just recently fixed my YLOD and the fan runs really quiet and such. If you didn't know you'd think it was still in good condition. What exactly do they check?

Also, does it need an HDD inside of it?

[quote name='khloudstrife']Just out of curiosity, how many people who have taken advantage of the PS3 trade-in got to do it successfully without a warranty sticker? I just recently fixed my YLOD and the fan runs really quiet and such. If you didn't know you'd think it was still in good condition. What exactly do they check?

Also, does it need an HDD inside of it?[/QUOTE]The OP lists all required items for console trades.

[quote name='Velo214']all dlc is on disk, so idk what ur trying for ;)
all of those games are AAA, cept fallouts a bit buggy.[/QUOTE]

Assuming he got the :360: version, he could download all the DLC to his hard drive, take back the GOTY edition, and get the cheaper standard edition while still having access to all the DLC (that's what I did).

[quote name='brother bendu']Hey CAGs I just wanted some of your opinions on this PS3 deal. I have a 40 gig PS3 that I barely use. I was thinking about trading it in for a new PS3. Do you think I should keep it, or trade it in for the credit?[/QUOTE]

If you barely play your PS3, why would you want to pay an extra ~$100 for a new slim? I'd think a lightly used machine wouldn't be ripe for YLOD. Or are you just wanting to bank the credit in the hopes that when you finally do want to play PS3 games the price will have dropped.

[quote name='seanmcc']The OP lists all required items for console trades.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, sorry for my ignorance. But I looked and there was no mention of the requirement of having the warranty sticker on (Though I heard it was YMMV). I wonder if it'll look suspicious when I trade in my 40GB PS3 and buy another one. I can't just say "Oh it's on the verge of hardware failure."

Why would it look suspicious? You're upgrading to a better, newer model. I did it and the employee didn't even bat an eye at the idea.

[quote name='brother bendu']Hey CAGs I just wanted some of your opinions on this PS3 deal. I have a 40 gig PS3 that I barely use. I was thinking about trading it in for a new PS3. Do you think I should keep it, or trade it in for the credit?[/QUOTE]

Well if it's barely used then it is less likely to have a hardware issue. However, the 40 gig is like the ugly duckling of ps3 family (I use to have one also) and to get 200 credit is about the best you can expect from anywhere. My decision was a bit easier I had a 2+ year old 40 gig phat that just had an expired extended warranty and that was hot even when just browsing the xmb.

[quote name='Mizzou75']Why would it look suspicious? You're upgrading to a better, newer model. I did it and the employee didn't even bat an eye at the idea.[/QUOTE]

Great. :] Did you still have a warranty sticker on yours? I'll probably have to Gamestop-Hop if they don't accept it without one.

I need some advice.

Should I go ahead and pre-order FIFA 2011 + Black Ops ? Turns into $50 each. ( 20$ Off $80 )

I have Reach pre-ordered in store. Should I cancel that , Pre-Order it online with Fifa 11. Turns into $50 each and $20 coupon for Halo : Reach and get Black Ops for $40 ?

So many options :(

[quote name='deadandbrok3n']I need some advice.

Should I go ahead and pre-order FIFA 2011 + Black Ops ? Turns into $50 each. ( 20$ Off $80 )

I have Reach pre-ordered in store. Should I cancel that , Pre-Order it online with Fifa 11. Turns into $50 each and $20 coupon for Halo : Reach and get Black Ops for $40 ?

So many options :([/QUOTE]
Easy answer: The code doesn't work with preorders. Problem solved.

[quote name='khloudstrife']Great. :] Did you still have a warranty sticker on yours? I'll probably have to Gamestop-Hop if they don't accept it without one.[/QUOTE]

I assume it did, but I honestly don't know. I bought it used and never did anything with it warranty sticker-wise. I'm 95% sure they didnt even check though, just hooked it up and made sure it worked.

[quote name='Mizzou75']I assume it did, but I honestly don't know. I bought it used and never did anything with it warranty sticker-wise. I'm 95% sure they didnt even check though, just hooked it up and made sure it worked.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I really appreciate the info.

great, my edge card credit was deducted $73. I talked to a gamestop manager and he read my back the last 5 store transactions on his computer and they were all legit sales by me, so it must be an online problem. argh. i just sent an essay to [email protected] saying I must have been double charged for an order or not refunded for one of their canceled orders because I went to sleep last nite and woke up with $73 less in credit and I havn't made any orders overnite... so let's see how this goes. Im hoping they can look in the card history or something and find out what went wrong and just credit my edge card. argh. im glad i keep all receipts.

I think I'm gonna go head and trade in ps3. I have no games for it right now so whats the point of keeping it if I rarely play it. I'm just afraid my xbox360slim will break on me and I'd have to wait a month for my fixed one. I think its pointless for me to have 2 systems though. I don't really care for exclusives.

[quote name='hostyl1']If you barely play your PS3, why would you want to pay an extra ~$100 for a new slim? I'd think a lightly used machine wouldn't be ripe for YLOD. Or are you just wanting to bank the credit in the hopes that when you finally do want to play PS3 games the price will have dropped.[/QUOTE]

Since that is a fair question to ask I will answer it with no problem. I got the 40 gig PS3 (as well as my Wii) from a Trainn site. I did not pay much for it since I was using a lot of freebie sites for cash. Now the main reasons I still want PS3 are:

1.) To have a BluRay player for my Vizio
2.) To play fighting games since the xbox controller is crap when it comes to those
3.) Exclusive titles (still have not played titles like Infamous, Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, ect)

I was planning on selling it on Ebay/Amazon, but I probably would not make any money for a 40 gig system now.

Also are people having any ylod with the new 120 gig system?

[quote name='brother bendu']
Also are people having any ylod with the new 120 gig system?[/QUOTE]

the ylod could happen to any PS3 system. i just searched on youtube and there was a guy whose slim YLOD'd, and he said he only got it a day ago (don't know if i believe that but it was definitely a YLOD). most YLODs are overheating issues and is user provoked not random hardware failure (most of the time). just keep your warranty and receipt in tact. also make sure you have the PS3 in an open space to prevent the hot air circulating in a confined space and therefore not allowing the excess hot air to go anywhere but stay inside the console. if necessary, buy a cooling device. the slim's fan is only on the back unlike the regular PS3 where it also has one on the side. for the regular I believe standing the PS3 vertically where the vents point up help it ventilate. why? hot air rises. if you lay it flat it takes longer for the air to find an exit point so more heat builds up inside the system. just my 2 cents.

[quote name='brother bendu']Since that is a fair question to ask I will answer it with no problem. I got the 40 gig PS3 (as well as my Wii) from a Trainn site. I did not pay much for it since I was using a lot of freebie sites for cash. Now the main reasons I still want PS3 are:

2.) To play fighting games since the xbox controller is crap when it comes to those
3.) Exclusive titles (still have not played titles like Infamous, Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, ect)

I was planning on selling it on Ebay/Amazon, but I probably would not make any money for a 40 gig system now.

I certainly hope no one is having any YLOD issues with the 120gb slims, since I have one from last August when they released. They do get VERY hot though and playing on a warm/humid day only exacerbates that issue, which is why I've only been playing PSN downloaded games on my system as of late. Red Dead Redemption makes the fan kick on and the system heat up immensely after just 10-15 minutes of playing.:cry::shock:

That's why I wish this mid summer Northeast fuckin' heat wave would subside already, since I wanna finish some of my backlog while they still have SOME value left. But since I play in an area of the house without AC it's quite disconcerting to play for longer than an hour or two and listen to the fan going on high gear the whole time.:cry:

As for the YLOD being 'user provoked' it wouldn't be a user issue if Sony(and MS) didn't make systems that run so motherfuckin' hot this gen. I NEVER had an overheating issue with either my Xbox or PS2 last gen.

However, I do believe that it's Sony's friggin' fault if the slims are YLOD'ing cuz they reduced the size of the case at the same time they supposedly put in more efficient chips. Where does the hot air have to go? It goes out the vents, but even the vents are smaller, and as you said there's no vents on the end anymore.:roll:

7-21-10

PS3- Red Faction Guerilla: $6.00
Generic 3rd Party Wii Component Cable: $4.50

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']IF you don't feel good about teh 40GB PS3, trade it in now, $200 is an awesome price, $150 is the top I'm guessing people will pay for. My old 40Gb stopped reading discs, I hear the BC ps3's 20, 60, 80 have YLOD issues, and 40GB, and 80GB ps3's non BC have optical disc and laser issues. I'm sure you have some games you can trade in, and get extra credit. good luck

[quote name='khloudstrife']the ylod could happen to any PS3 system. i just searched on youtube and there was a guy whose slim YLOD'd, and he said he only got it a day ago (don't know if i believe that but it was definitely a YLOD). most YLODs are overheating issues and is user provoked not random hardware failure (most of the time). just keep your warranty and receipt in tact. also make sure you have the PS3 in an open space to prevent the hot air circulating in a confined space and therefore not allowing the excess hot air to go anywhere but stay inside the console. if necessary, buy a cooling device. the slim's fan is only on the back unlike the regular PS3 where it also has one on the side. for the regular I believe standing the PS3 vertically where the vents point up help it ventilate. why? hot air rises. if you lay it flat it takes longer for the air to find an exit point so more heat builds up inside the system. just my 2 cents.[/QUOTE]

The PS3 Chimney!

searched the thread for 'hdmi substitute' and the like, but got nothing -

does anyone know if gamestop will take an hdmi cable as a sub for the composite/component cable the ps3 came with? thanks!

[quote name='exRounder']searched the thread for 'hdmi substitute' and the like, but got nothing -

does anyone know if gamestop will take an hdmi cable as a sub for the composite/component cable the ps3 came with? thanks![/QUOTE]
I sincerely doubt it, since many people don't have an HDtv as of yet and don't really need/want the HDMI cable. Moreover, they want the original equipment(power cord, composite cable, controller, USB charging cable for controller) that came with the system to be able to sell someone a complete system.

So don't be surprised if they slap you with a refurb fee for not having all of the original equipment your PS3 came with. Unfortunately if they do hit you with a refurb fee, the $200 promo cannot be applied and you would receive whatever the trade value for your model PS3 is and that's that.

Many Gamestop stores WILL however allow you the chance to buy a used composite cable from their stock to make up for the lack of one when making the trade, which will allow you to dodge the refurb fee bullet.

[quote name='brother bendu']Since that is a fair question to ask I will answer it with no problem. I got the 40 gig PS3 (as well as my Wii) from a Trainn site. I did not pay much for it since I was using a lot of freebie sites for cash. Now the main reasons I still want PS3 are:

Well if it's barely used then it is less likely to have a hardware issue. However, the 40 gig is like the ugly duckling of ps3 family (I use to have one also) and to get 200 credit is about the best you can expect from anywhere. My decision was a bit easier I had a 2+ year old 40 gig phat that just had an expired extended warranty and that was hot even when just browsing the xmb.

According to the unofficial ylod victims list on the ps3 forum only nine people total with slims have reported ylod.

The general consensus is that most of the failures are occurring after 2 years.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General/UNOFFICIAL-YLOD-VICTIMS-LIST/td-p/44456282

Here is the breakdown:

250GB = 3
120GB = 6
80GB = 160
60GB = 855
40GB = 130
20GB = 38

Hope this helps in your decision.

Updated lists and database. Been slacking the past couple days. Luckily or unluckily the trade-in deals aren't super spectacular so trade-in reports have dropped.

what bout 160 gigs? same as 80? oh yeah, n that 50.60 that was lost on my account was them putting it on hold? idk if it's a preorder or what, i asked them why they put that hold on my account.

[quote name='Velo214']what bout 160 gigs? same as 80? oh yeah, n that 50.60 that was lost on my account was them putting it on hold? idk if it's a preorder or what, i asked them why they put that hold on my account.[/QUOTE]

According to the OP of the thread on page 88, no one on the forum with a 160 gig has reported a ylod as of yet.

[quote name='Donutkid2222']I knew it, the 60Gb, 80, and 40gb are the worst models. even though they helped sony a lot with sales.[/QUOTE]

They're also the oldest. Almost all of them were produced/sold from late 06-late 07, with the 80GB systems being sold anywhere from late 07-fall 09.

Law of averages says they would have the most issues. At least it's 2-3 years after purchase unlike MS. Unlike IGN's Jessica Chobot, whose system she got at the original launch event in the desert literally red-ringed when she plugged it in when she got home, my launch unit lasted 4 months before red-ringing.

I might wait down to like 8/7 to decide if I will trade in my ps3. What should I do? I have no games for my ps3 and don't play it that much anymore but it's not an old model it's a 120gb slim model so it's pretty new. I have 360 slim and have been playing games on 360. When NHL 11 comes out thats all I will play and it's for 360. Is it a waste to keep ps3 lying around? If I trade it in for $200 I'll be able to reserve and pay off NHL 11, and 2 other games.

[quote name='Capocci 007']I might wait down to like 8/7 to decide if I will trade in my ps3. What should I do? I have no games for my ps3 and don't play it that much anymore but it's not an old model it's a 120gb slim model so it's pretty new. I have 360 slim and have been playing games on 360. When NHL 11 comes out thats all I will play and it's for 360. Is it a waste to keep ps3 lying around? If I trade it in for $200 I'll be able to reserve and pay off NHL 11, and 2 other games.[/QUOTE]

If there are no upcoming PS3 games you want and you don't want the Blu-Ray functionality then sell it as this will be the best way for you to lose the least amount of money from your Slim purchase.

You MIGHT be able to sell it for $200-$250 on EBay/Craigslist given its youth, but there are hassles going that route and this would give you get you the 3 games you want this fall guaranteed. Your call.

[quote name='Capocci 007']I might wait down to like 8/7 to decide if I will trade in my ps3. What should I do? I have no games for my ps3 and don't play it that much anymore but it's not an old model it's a 120gb slim model so it's pretty new. I have 360 slim and have been playing games on 360. When NHL 11 comes out thats all I will play and it's for 360. Is it a waste to keep ps3 lying around? If I trade it in for $200 I'll be able to reserve and pay off NHL 11, and 2 other games.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't trade your 120 gb slim unless you don't like Sony's exclusives or Blu-ray.

[quote name='MSUHitman']If there are no upcoming PS3 games you want and you don't want the Blu-Ray functionality then sell it as this will be the best way for you to lose the least amount of money from your Slim purchase.

You MIGHT be able to sell it for $200-$250 on EBay/Craigslist given its youth, but there are hassles going that route and this would give you get you the 3 games you want this fall guaranteed. Your call.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good thanks for the respond. I think I will sell it.

The blu ray isn't a loss because I have a blu ray player so not really a big deal about that. And not any ps3 games coming out that I want.

hey all,
for those who have traded in their ps3 for a slim ps3, all i need to trade in is the system with necessary cables correct? do i need to trade the controller too? also can this credit be used for anything or just for a new ps3?

also does anyone know if gamestop will be doing a system trade in for the kinect xbox 360 4GB console, simlar to the last trade in? i forgot to trade in some old memory units that are useless to me now and i also have my other console id like to trade in with my erase 120 hard drive too.

[quote name='tahoesnowboarder']hey all,
for those who have traded in their ps3 for a slim ps3, all i need to trade in is the system with necessary cables correct? do i need to trade the controller too? also can this credit be used for anything or just for a new ps3?

also does anyone know if gamestop will be doing a system trade in for the kinect xbox 360 4GB console, simlar to the last trade in? i forgot to trade in some old memory units that are useless to me now and i also have my other console id like to trade in with my erase 120 hard drive too.[/QUOTE]

you need the a/v cables and a controller, and the usb cable to charge the controller. credit can be used for anything.

dont know about your second question

Damn I still can't decide if I should trade in my BC 80GB for a new 120GB slim. I upgraded the HDD in my 80GB to 320 GB but I'm worried in will yellow light soon. Ugh but then I don't have the money to preorder Fallout NV, CoD Black Ops and/or Medal of Honor. What to do?

HI All,

Im new to the boards here but I have followed them for awhile now and decided to make an account.

I have a question regarding the 25% trade in for a pre-order. I have an EDGE card so im at 35% precent xtra credit. im looking to pre-order NHL 11..and wanted to see what you guys think of how much I will get for the following games. Im not expecting much but anything is acceptable right now. I have: COD 4, NBA 2K9, NBA 2K8, and the game that comes with the 360 arcade..Do you get two seperate prices for that or just one?...Any help is appreciated!!

[quote name='Duckman5']Damn I still can't decide if I should trade in my BC 80GB for a new 120GB slim. I upgraded the HDD in my 80GB to 320 GB but I'm worried in will yellow light soon. Ugh but then I don't have the money to preorder Fallout NV, CoD Black Ops and/or Medal of Honor. What to do?[/QUOTE]

If you are worrying about a ylod then upgrade. If not I'd keep the old system and get the games you want. If it yellow light can't you send it back for a new one?

I wanna trade my ps3 in but I'm worried my xboxslim will break and I won't have a system to play for a month.

[quote name='Mizzou75']the first page has all the TIVs[/QUOTE]

The base values say I will get about 20 dollars..with some refurb fees Im sure it will be a couple bucks lower but I will take it.

[quote name='Capocci 007']If you are worrying about a ylod then upgrade. If not I'd keep the old system and get the games you want. If it yellow light can't you send it back for a new one?

I wanna trade my ps3 in but I'm worried my xboxslim will break and I won't have a system to play for a month.[/QUOTE]
If it yellow lights now then it's out of warranty and will cost $150 to fix it. So I'm debating doing this just as an insurance measure. My old one is like 2.5 years old.

[quote name='Duckman5']If it yellow lights now then it's out of warranty and will cost $150 to fix it. So I'm debating doing this just as an insurance measure. My old one is like 2.5 years old.[/QUOTE]

That's a smart move. I wouldn't want to spend 150 on the old model to get it fixed when you can get 200 for it right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back