GS TIV: Trade 2/4/7 get extra $10/25/50 on 360/PS3/Wii games, $30 HW bonus on new HW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
NEW THREAD HERE: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6866412

[quote name='CheapyD']I'd like to encourage you guys to submit your GameStop trade-in values to our database directly. You can access it from the main navigation bar under Retailers -> GameStop or here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/retailer.php?do=view&retailerid=13[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jp0213']I've received a couple pm's from people wanting to contribute prices but don't want to get harassed about selling to someone or getting more at place x. If this is the case for anyone, you can pm me any values and I'll update them in the list and database.[/QUOTE]

Upcoming Promos:

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I didn't see this posted here.

I work at GS and we just got the info on this in today's store informer. Basically 50% trade in credit on ALL games. Yes, every game and no minimum value. As usual it stacks with Edge card.

I know I have some crap to unload come Monday![/QUOTE]

flagg1216 also noted that this promo only goes for a week.

[quote name='flagg1216']wii/ps3/360 trade 2 for 20% bonus 4 for 30%bonus or 6+ for 40%

no other info.no pics.[/QUOTE]
This one will probably start after the week long Extra 50% on all games promo.

GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

Trade more, get more! (2/21/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade any 2 Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii games and get an extra $10 trade-in credit, trade 4 get $25 or trade 7 get $50.

Expires: 2/21/2010. Games with a trade value of $5.00 or less are excluded from offer. Offer valid only toward games normally accepted in trade. Offer not good on cash trades.[/QUOTE]

$30 Towards New Hardware (2/21/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade in any Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, DSi, DSlite or PSP toward any new systems and get an extra $30 trade-in credit.

Expires: 2/21/2010. Offer only valid toward the purchase of a new hardware system. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only.[/QUOTE]

GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID (thanks Xfactor4)
THE GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID "CRACKED":

:gc:=916xxx
:360:=952xxx
:ps2:=938xxx or 939xxx
:wii:=917xxx
:psp:=935xxx
:ds:=919xxx
:ps3:=930xxx
:gba:=914xxx

FAQ
Can I trade-in sealed games?
No. You might come across the rare GameStop that would let you do it, but they are going to open them anyway.

How much does an EDGE card subscription cost?
It costs $14.99 and is good for a year. It also comes with a 1-year subscription to Game Informer magazine.

What bonuses come with having an EDGE card?
You will get an extra 10% trade-in credit on the base value of the game and an extra 10% off the purchase of used games.

Can I stack two different trade-in promos?
No. The only thing that will stack with trade-ins is your EDGE card.

Does the EDGE Card give me a bonus on hardware trade-ins?
No. You will only get the bonus for games and accessories.

What states charge sales tax on purchases made with credit and which ones don't?
Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Arkansas, California, Maryland, Michigan, Pennsylvania,
Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Wisconsin, Virginia,

My state doesn't charge sales tax on purchases made by credit, why is gamestop.com charging me tax?
It is just the way they have designed their system. The best theory we have seen is that since you are only inputting the number off of the back of the card, it isn't going to pick up the programming from the specially tagged EDGE cards.

Do trade-ins have to have their original case, insert and manual?
No, however it will be YMMV on if they charge you a refurbish fee for them in that condition. Most GameStops wont charge a fee but there are some that charge for incomplete games.

Will they accept my game if it is really beat up?
YMMV. It really all depends upon the employee you get. Some will charge refurbish fees, some wont, some wont accept the game and others just take them without a second glance.

I have a Collector's/Limited/Special edition of a game, do I have to trade-in all of the extras?
No, but there are a handful of games that their variations have separate listings at GameStop: Madden 09 Anniversary Edition, Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition, and a few others.

Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
YMMV. The official policy is no, but there are some GameStops that overlook that rule.

Does promo "....." have a minimum trade-in value?
If the promo has a minimum trade-in value requirement, it will be listed in the promo. If it isn't there, then there is no limit. However, as with all trades, they are subject to manager approval so the manager could have setup his own little rule-set requiring a minimum of whatever.

What all do I have to trade in for a console trade-in?
Xbox 360: Console Unit, power brick, A/V Cables, Controller (wired/wireless)
Wii: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cables, Wiimote, Nunchuck, Sensor Bar
Playstation 3: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller, USB Cable
Playstation 2: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller (Must be a DualShock2)
GameCube: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller
PSP: Handheld, A/C Adapter
Nintendo DS/DSLite/DSi: Handheld, A/C Adapter, Stylus

Can I trade in a defective/broken console?
For the most part yes. If it powers on but doesn't play games, they will take the console as a refurb unit and cut the trade-in value in half. You are still required to trade in everything required listed in the question directly above.

I used a Power Trade promo for a pre-order, can I cancel that pre-order and get the credit or move it to another game I want?
Yes on both accounts. However, if you do a bunch of the power trades and just straight drop the pre-order you could create some ill-will between yourself and the employees you cancel on.

I just tried to use a promo that has a select list of games eligible, but they say my game isn't eligible anymore, what gives?
Basically they have the right to change the eligible games at any time. They tend to update these frequently so as to lock out any easy/cheap games. It's best to check the eligible list the day of your trade.

These trade-in values are really low!
While that may be true, if you combine the games with the right promotion they can work to your advantage. There are knowledgeable people in this thread that are normally willing to help.

If I pay for an item using all credit on my card, do I have to pay sales tax?
This varies depending upon the state you live in.

First post contains promo information and the FAQ. Second post has the 360/Wii/PS3 values. Third post has the PS2/GC values. Fourth post has PSP/DS values.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought this promo was really good at first but man the trading situation at this place gets worse and worse. TIVs are horrible probably the worst I've ever seen unless the game came out like a month ago. $1.00 GB and $4.xx RE5 etc are ridiculous. Yes I am def complaining and I think it's laughable that anyone would trade at most of these values. Even with an extra $7 on a $5.25+ game values are still crap for the vast majority.

On the bright side I went to PA today and found a smaller game store chain that seems to kill GS and others on TIVs. They were giving $15 for Wolverine Wii and have a 20%/game bump (standard I believe) when you trade 4+ games. Also they gave 25% off used games (no limit) as long as you purchase a new or used game of equal or greater value at the normal new or used price. (I think that part is a promo but not sure) They take multiple copies on trades and guarantee to beat competitors used game prices. (You do need to pay attention though cuz their used price on Blazblue PS3 was $50 while GS was $26.99.) If you picked up a used game on a pricematch they would still qualify it as the normal priced game so you could get the 25% off a second, third, etc.

The store is called GameTrader. I never heard of it b4. The cashier says they have a few in PA, DE, a couple in NJ and some other spots.

By the way GS TIV is $4.25 for Origins Wolverine Wii to add to the list. I also checked FYE their TIV is $7.

Josh, it's on the first page. As of 1/10 you got $6.25 but who knows what it is for this promo. My guess is $5 or under but you might be lucky.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Resident evil 5 only gets 3.75? Isn't still 35 used in store what the fuck gamestop even for them that's rape[/QUOTE]

It's not rape when both sides give consent.

[quote name='dino88']It's not rape when both sides give consent.[/QUOTE]
:D Ah..thats very true. Just save the game for later. It can be worse and give you a .95 TIV.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Resident evil 5 only gets 3.75? Isn't still 35 used in store what the fuck gamestop even for them that's rape[/QUOTE]

I got it for $22.99 used recently.

I don't really understand why ppl gripe about TIV. Yeah GS gives crappy TIVs, but they have to account for games that may not sell right away, as well as constant price drops. The profit margin makes it possible for them to take any game you want to trade, even stuff they know will NEVER sell.

Anyone who's ever worked at a level in retail where you can see the profit margin knows the markup is usually pretty high. A $20 item's wholesale cost is prob $3 - $5. B&M stores have to also account for expenses like rent/electricity/salaries,etc, so if they want to stay in business, they have to make some sort of PROFIT.

Take advantage to these promos to get the most out of your trades. I bought a lot of my games on sale so in some cases I get 50% to 80% back from what I paid in TIV. In some cases even more than 100% (Dirt 2 @ Target for $14.xx, GS TIV $15.50 then + $7.xx promo + $1.55 Edge10% = $24.xx). I would never trade to GS w/o these promos.

I'm not trying to defend GS, just tired of hearing whining on this board.

Thanks to jp0213 for updating the TIVs on this thread.

dont go to gamestop alot--- but ive been there maybe 4 times in the last 3 months- out of those 4 times only once has an employee known what deal im trying to take part of---the other times they are like "no i think that deal doesnt exist or that deals over" then i show them a print or i phone with the deal on it and then they are like" oh that deal "yeah yeah thats right here......n im left thinking either they dont know theyre shit or theyre trying to get out of letting me take advantage of the deal.

question can i return a game to any gamstop or does it have to be the one i bought it from?

[quote name='bh47']I got it for $22.99 used recently.

I don't really understand why ppl gripe about TIV. Yeah GS gives crappy TIVs, but they have to account for games that may not sell right away, as well as constant price drops. The profit margin makes it possible for them to take any game you want to trade, even stuff they know will NEVER sell.

Anyone who's ever worked at a level in retail where you can see the profit margin knows the markup is usually pretty high. A $20 item's wholesale cost is prob $3 - $5. B&M stores have to also account for expenses like rent/electricity/salaries,etc, so if they want to stay in business, they have to make some sort of PROFIT.

Take advantage to these promos to get the most out of your trades. I bought a lot of my games on sale so in some cases I get 50% to 80% back from what I paid in TIV. In some cases even more than 100% (Dirt 2 @ Target for $14.xx, GS TIV $15.50 then + $7.xx promo + $1.55 Edge10% = $24.xx). I would never trade to GS w/o these promos.

I'm not trying to defend GS, just tired of hearing whining on this board.

Thanks to jp0213 for updating the TIVs on this thread.[/QUOTE]

Amen, brother. GS/EB is what it is. You aren't going to get back 75% of the used selling price when you trade in a game, but most CAGs realize that. If you take advantage of the promos you can still get some good value out of your trade ins, especially if you are diligent about picking things up from Target clearance and other sales. Probably 90% of the time when I trade into GS/EB I get more or equal to what I paid for a game.

I'm not trying to pimp GS/EB or anything, but they do bring something to the market. There are a ton of locations and the ease of walking in, handing them games, and then walking out with a new/used game or store credit in about 5-10 minutes is very appealing. They take everything, with few questions asked, even when the condition is questionable. Sure Amazon might offer some better base TiVs, but go to that thread and read some of the stories about games getting rejected for no reason and having to wait a long time for credit. They aren't perfect. What does $5-10 additional dollars mean when there is a possibility that your trade will be rejected for a variety of silly reasons. The ease of trading in at GS/EB is worth something, isn't it?

So can we please assume that if people are posting TiVs in this thread they are intelligent enough to realize that there are other options to trade in games that sometimes yield better values. Every few pages we have a bunch of people come in here and bash the TiVs and the CAGs with the same bullshit: "The TiV for Game X is only $X?!?!!??! ZOMG you guys are idiots for trading in there" or " Why didn't you trade it to me, I would have given you $X more for it". Give it a rest.

[quote name='youenvy']
question can i return a game to any gamstop or does it have to be the one i bought it from?[/QUOTE]

yes you can return it at any store

[quote name='bh47']I don't really understand why ppl gripe about TIV. Yeah GS gives crappy TIVs, but they have to account for games that may not sell right away, as well as constant price drops. The profit margin makes it possible for them to take any game you want to trade, even stuff they know will NEVER sell.[/QUOTE]

Was about to post the same, exact thing. People complain about the large differences between some of the base TIVs and the used prices, but they don't take into account the fact that just because GS has it listed for a price doesn't mean they will sell it at that price. It might sit on the shelves for a long time. Also, as far as RE5 is concerned, it's now listed a PH on Xbox.com, so I am guessing it will be dropping to $30 new soon, thus dropping the value of a used copy even more. Plus, the Gold Edition is coming out soon at $50.

[quote name='Game_Dude_3']I traded in my Wii for a 360 Elite, but didn't really have a wonderful time doing so.

Firstly, the guy had no idea about the sale. He said that it wasn't in their marketing book. I told him to let me know once the Wii rung up, how much it would come up for. He then checked the book to see the sale was on the front page. What a surprise. So I traded in my Wii, extra Wiimote/nunchuck, Wii Sports, Classic Controller and a couple of GCN games. I got $154 for the whole sha-bang.

Picked up my new Elite and almost got an N-Router. I asked him if it would work with other routers(G, in specific) and he said he didn't know, then rudely answered that it's on me since I can't return it once I buy it. I bought it at Target, only to see that it blatantly stated that it's capable with G routers on the front of the box.

But then again, what do I expect from GS?[/QUOTE]

unfortunately since we only pay minimum wage we cant always get the best people :/

Okay, this is totally unrelated to GameStop TIVs, but has the tweet/retweet buttons always been at the top of threads? I looked into the link at the top and apparently this thread has been tweeted? Confusing.

[quote name='smcmanus1980']I thought this promo was really good at first but man the trading situation at this place gets worse and worse. TIVs are horrible probably the worst I've ever seen unless the game came out like a month ago. $1.00 GB and $4.xx RE5 etc are ridiculous. Yes I am def complaining and I think it's laughable that anyone would trade at most of these values. Even with an extra $7 on a $5.25+ game values are still crap for the vast majority.

On the bright side I went to PA today and found a smaller game store chain that seems to kill GS and others on TIVs. They were giving $15 for Wolverine Wii and have a 20%/game bump (standard I believe) when you trade 4+ games. Also they gave 25% off used games (no limit) as long as you purchase a new or used game of equal or greater value at the normal new or used price. (I think that part is a promo but not sure) They take multiple copies on trades and guarantee to beat competitors used game prices. (You do need to pay attention though cuz their used price on Blazblue PS3 was $50 while GS was $26.99.) If you picked up a used game on a pricematch they would still qualify it as the normal priced game so you could get the 25% off a second, third, etc.

The store is called GameTrader. I never heard of it b4. The cashier says they have a few in PA, DE, a couple in NJ and some other spots.

By the way GS TIV is $4.25 for Origins Wolverine Wii to add to the list. I also checked FYE their TIV is $7.[/QUOTE]

yeah thats nice of you happen to have a competitor that can survive against a gamestop. unfortunately we dont all have that. for some of us gamestop is our only/best option for trading.

Just got back from GameStop so these are current TIV's as of Today, Jan 27th.

Spider-Man Web of Shadows - 5.50
UFC 2009 - 14
Wolverine - 6.75
Batman Arkham Asylum - 15

PS3
Uncharted - 9.25

Wii
Wiimote - 10.50

[quote name='jp0213']Okay, this is totally unrelated to GameStop TIVs, but has the tweet/retweet buttons always been at the top of threads? I looked into the link at the top and apparently this thread has been tweeted? Confusing.[/QUOTE]

holy crap! that is totally new...and AWESOME!!

[quote name='HydroX']6.75 for Wolverine? Guess I'll be keeping it.[/QUOTE]

It's totally worth it if you got it through Gamefly, and you are trading in another six games with it.

I paid $10 for it, and got back about $12 or so. I basicially got paid to play it.

[quote name='HydroX']6.75 for Wolverine? Guess I'll be keeping it.[/QUOTE]

Had I not just gotten 1000/1000 for it, I would have too, but it'd just rot on my shelf if I did now.

When does the trade 2 for extra 10$ expire? Because I have Left 4 Dead 2 and Darksiders I want to get rid of. But I have no way to get to gamestop right now. I want to pre-order and pay off Dantes Inferno

[quote name='KratosGOW2525']When does the trade 2 for extra 10$ expire? Because I have Left 4 Dead 2 and Darksiders I want to get rid of. But I have no way to get to gamestop right now. I want to pre-order and pay off Dantes Inferno[/QUOTE]

Don't quote me on this, but they usually last about 2 weeks. Although they pop up all the time.

was gonna trade re5, fnr4, l4d1 and xmen origins wolverine.

but looks like the first two are under 5 bucks :(

guess I'll do the 2 for 10 deal on left 4 dead and xmen, should end up with around 25 right?

Traded in some PSP games, all TiVs are base:

Jeanne D'Arc: 2.00
Final Fantasy Tactics: 4.75
FF7 Crisis Core: 4.75
Prinny: 4.50
Wipeout Pulse: 1.00
Metal Gear Ac!d: .65
MGS Portable ops: 6.50

[quote name='Scorch']Some of these TIV's are ridiculous. $1 for Ghostbusters?

really?[/QUOTE]

well considering the game was horrible, and it dropped in price like a brick(got it for $20 brand new less than 2 months after release) i'm sure alot of people have it or just don't want it these days.

TIV 1/27

The Conduit (Wii) - $7.50
Infinite Undiscovery (360) - $5.75
Skate (360) - $5.75
NPC! Pikmin (Wii) - $6.25
Virtua Tennis 2009 (360) - $5.25
Ninja Gaiden 2 (360) - $5.75
Ju-On: The Grudge (Wii) - $6.50

Still shocked that VT 2009 qualified..

can someone tell me how much a Tekken 6 fight stick is worth for trade in? using Tekken 6 for the 7/50 deal so have no use for the stick.

[quote name='animalspinners']It's totally worth it if you got it through Gamefly, and you are trading in another six games with it.

I paid $10 for it, and got back about $12 or so. I basicially got paid to play it.[/QUOTE]

yeah but I bought it for $37 way back when it first came out and I have yet to finish it (only in the 3rd area) so it'll be stuck in backlog hell for awhile. I still have Spiderman: WoS, Batman: AA and Prototype to go through, as well as Borderlands and L4D2. Sigh.

[quote name='oldboy26']well considering the game was horrible, and it dropped in price like a brick(got it for $20 brand new less than 2 months after release) i'm sure alot of people have it or just don't want it these days.[/QUOTE]

mmmmm...i actually liked the game--

[quote name='HydroX']yeah but I bought it for $37 way back when it first came out and I have yet to finish it (only in the 3rd area) so it'll be stuck in backlog hell for awhile. I still have Spiderman: WoS, Batman: AA and Prototype to go through, as well as Borderlands and L4D2. Sigh.[/QUOTE]

if you had to sell one or skip playing one let it be prototype-

batman n wolverine are actually very good-n so is l4d2 (mutliplayer) never played borderlands---but prototype was cool for a bit but then got a bit repetive n frustrating also story was pretty weak. was hoping for a great ending but meh..

[quote name='youenvy']mmmmm...i actually liked the game--[/QUOTE]

Me too, but he is right about it dropping in price pretty quickly and not selling well. Still just $1 is pretty sad for a game that isn't even a year old. At least throw a couple of bucks at the person.

[quote name='youenvy']if you had to sell one or skip playing one let it be prototype-

batman n wolverine are actually very good-n so is l4d2 (mutliplayer) never played borderlands---but prototype was cool for a bit but then got a bit repetive n frustrating also story was pretty weak. was hoping for a great ending but meh..[/QUOTE]

Not to keep this off-topic banter going, but yeah, I have played through Borderlands once already and am about 1/4 through Playthrough 2. It's currently put aside for right now since my main co-op buddy is into ME2, so I'm going through SM: WoS right now. Batman is next on the list. I'm an absolute L4D junkie so I've already played the hell out of that. Could use some fresh faces to play with though.

I've heard mixed reviews on Prototype, traded Red Faction for it recently so I figured I'd give it a shot.

[quote name='HydroX']Not to keep this off-topic banter going, but yeah, I have played through Borderlands once already and am about 1/4 through Playthrough 2. It's currently put aside for right now since my main co-op buddy is into ME2, so I'm going through SM: WoS right now. Batman is next on the list. I'm an absolute L4D junkie so I've already played the hell out of that. Could use some fresh faces to play with though.

I've heard mixed reviews on Prototype, traded Red Faction for it recently so I figured I'd give it a shot.[/QUOTE]

If I remember right, Prototype is supposed to be built on the same engine that WoS is.

Also, enjoy that game. I hated getting rid of it, but it was time. :)

According to the website the trade deals($30 extra on console trade and the 2/4/7deal) are good thru 2/21/2010 not 2/14/2010.
A few extra days to find some more high dollar trades ($5.01 and up)
Thanks OP

Trying my best to scrounge up enough for a 7/50...

360 - Mass Effect, Bioshock, Virtua Tennis 2009
Wii - Pikmin, Ace Combat 6 (?), Wii Fit Plus (?)
PS3 - MLB 09 The Show (?)

Might be able to find a $9.99 Mirror's Edge (?) at Blockbuster if need be, or a $14.99 Eternal Sonata... gonna have to do some calling tomorrow morning. Might be stuck in 4/25sville

[quote name='oldboy26']can someone tell me how much a Tekken 6 fight stick is worth for trade in? using Tekken 6 for the 7/50 deal so have no use for the stick.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop no longer takes game accessories in trade, only system accessories.

Came back from Gamestop. :wii:MySims Kingdom is still $6.00. Prices for Star Ocean: TLH, MySims, Ninja Gaiden 2, and :360:Mirror's Edge are all still correct, which was updated on 1/25 anyways.

These changed though:
:wii:Resident Evil: UC - $6.00
:ps3:Assassin's Creed - $7.25

Netted $101.60 after 2 refurb fees, which I didn't disagree with when I glanced at the discs he was looking at, so I didn't mind. Nice guy though, probably could have charged me a 3rd refurb fee without any arguments from me. Would have pre-ordered stuff, but I really only wanted to save the credit for a B2G1 sale.

I actually have 5 more games I want to trade in, since they're all in the $5-$7 dollar range anyways, but I'll wait till I can get a hold of 2 more games to bump up the TIV.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Gamestop no longer takes game accessories in trade, only system accessories.[/QUOTE]

they offered about $5 for mine when I tried trading it in about a month ago, they count it as a generic controller

[quote name='frankcastle']yeah thats nice of you happen to have a competitor that can survive against a gamestop. unfortunately we dont all have that. for some of us gamestop is our only/best option for trading.[/QUOTE]

You are right - I know what you mean theres not a lot out there. For the few games they will give a fair trade on go for it but I would suggest auctioning the rest. It may take a little more work but if you can get $20 real $ as opposed to $5 credit and especially if you are trading more than one game it's well worth it. For the love of God I hope no one trades in RE5 for $3.

I don't hate GS but I do think that it is wrong for a company that has a borderline monopoly in the industry to be able to pick certain games and decide they will give you peanuts for them on trade for no apparent reason. Seriously who is out there selling RE5 new for $10 in mass quantities that would justify them having a TIV value like that?

I think of it like this... if I bought a car off the lot for $30K and sold back to the dealer in good condition and reasonable mileage in two years, I'd probably get around $15K toward a new car since the traded car is still fairly new and desireable. If that dealer only offered me $3K it would be ridiculous for me to entertain the idea. Now, if the dealership was a huge chain and they were the only ones operating in the business within a 200 mile radius of me... well that's kind of unethical.

TIVs from today
wii
House of the Dead 2&3 - 7.75
Mario & sonic : Olympic Games - 11.00
WWE Legends Wrestlemania - 7.25
PS3
Resistance 2 - 5.75

[quote name='smcmanus1980']I think of it like this... if I bought a car off the lot for $30K and sold back to the dealer in good condition and reasonable mileage in two years, I'd probably get around $15K toward a new car since the traded car is still fairly new and desireable. If that dealer only offered me $3K it would be ridiculous for me to entertain the idea. Now, if the dealership was a huge chain and they were the only ones operating in the business within a 200 mile radius of me... well that's kind of unethical.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about making a little more effort to get more $ for your games, and for those people who have the time and willingness to package and ship stuff, more power to them. But some ppl don't want to deal with boxes and shipping fees, etc.

Your car value analogy is way off though. Anyone who's shopped for a new car knows your car loses 1/2 its value the minute you drive it off the lot. This analogy is also way off topic, but the rate of depreciation is pretty equivalent. The price of new games drops so fast nowadays, that a 2-month old game will already lose 1/3 of its MSRP. GS now offers $25 as TIV for new releases and it fookin sucks, but they're anticipating that price drop. Imagine GS giving you a $40 TIV on new releases, then any used copies they have in 2-months' time equals $0 profit. If that game drops even more, GS loses. From a business standpoint that's just stupid.

Besides, there're other trade-in services, like Amazon, Best Buy and Toys R Us. And compared to these GS promos, the TIVs at these other places are even worse.

[quote name='bh47']
Besides, there're other trade-in services, like Amazon, Best Buy and Toys R Us. And compared to these GS promos, the TIVs at these other places are even worse.[/QUOTE]

Due to the low base TIV, it doesn't qualify for the bonus this time around.

[quote name='smcmanus1980']You are right - I know what you mean theres not a lot out there. For the few games they will give a fair trade on go for it but I would suggest auctioning the rest. It may take a little more work but if you can get $20 real $ as opposed to $5 credit and especially if you are trading more than one game it's well worth it. For the love of God I hope no one trades in RE5 for $3.

I don't hate GS but I do think that it is wrong for a company that has a borderline monopoly in the industry to be able to pick certain games and decide they will give you peanuts for them on trade for no apparent reason. Seriously who is out there selling RE5 new for $10 in mass quantities that would justify them having a TIV value like that?

I think of it like this... if I bought a car off the lot for $30K and sold back to the dealer in good condition and reasonable mileage in two years, I'd probably get around $15K toward a new car since the traded car is still fairly new and desireable. If that dealer only offered me $3K it would be ridiculous for me to entertain the idea. Now, if the dealership was a huge chain and they were the only ones operating in the business within a 200 mile radius of me... well that's kind of unethical.[/QUOTE]

well a big part of their tiv prices is current stock and i dont know about your gamestops but mine have a TON of RE5 that arent selling, so that is part of why its only $3. plus the gold edition is coming out so they know people will want this one even less after that.

Hardware. Limited title space and I wanted to make sure it was clear as possible that you had to trade towards new hardware. If I had just put $30 hardware bonus, most people would have assumed they could just trade in the hardware and get the bonus without buying a new piece.

DS - 1/27
Mario Party DS - $15.00
New Super Mario Bros - $15.00

I'm sad that I couldn't get to GS during the 30% DS coupon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back