GS Trade-in Values: Old Thread, Check First/Last Post for new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
THIS THREAD LOCKED, NEW ONE HERE: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6952150

[quote name='CheapyD']Also, the CAG Trade-In Value Tracker is now live and accessible from the main navigation.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jp0213']I've received a couple pm's from people wanting to contribute prices but don't want to get harassed about selling to someone or getting more at place x. If this is the case for anyone, you can pm me any values and I'll update them in the list and database.[/QUOTE]

PLEASE POST BASE VALUES & SYSTEM IT IS FOR.

Current Promos:
GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

50% Bonus On All Games Traded (3/17/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade any games and receive an extra 50% trade-in credit.

Expires: 3/14/2010. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Offer good towards games normally accepted in trade only. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only..[/QUOTE]

$30 Towards New Hardware (3/14/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade in any Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, DSi, DSlite or PSP toward any new systems and get an extra $30 trade-in credit.

Expires: 3/14/2010. Offer only valid toward the purchase of a new hardware system. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only.[/QUOTE]

Save $40 on Final Fantasy XIII or God of War III (4/4/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Save $40 on Final Fantasy XIII or God of War III when trade 2 select Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii games.

Click Here for details.

Offer valid toward a new copy of Final Fantasy XIII or God of War III only. Final Fantasy XIII releases 3/11/10, God of War III releases 3/16/10. Release date subject to change. Customer may be responsible for sales tax on full retail price in some states. Price shown is net after trades. God of War III's and Final Fantasy XIII's regular retail price is $59.99. Net retail will differ for special editions. Offer and qualifying titles for trade subject to change without notice. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. No rainchecks.Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 02/22/10 - 04/04/10..[/QUOTE]

Power Trades 25% (3/14/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade any games towards the pre-order or purchase of God of War III, Final Fantasy XIII, Splinter Cell: Conviction: Battlefield Bad Company 2, Red Dead Redemption or Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver and receive an extra 25% Trade-in Credit!

Expires: 3/14/2010. Full trade value amount must be applied toward pre-order/purchase of a new copy of God of War III, Final Fantasy XIII, Splinter Cell Conviction, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Red Dead Redemption, Pokemon Heart Gold or Pokemon Soul Silver. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. Offer valid only toward games normally accepted in trade. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only..[/QUOTE]

Nintendo DSi XL Promo (Unsure End Date)
[quote name='vze21gwa']Gamestop is having a trade up offer for the Nintendo DSi XL, where you can get one for $99.99 if you trade in your DSi or $129.99 if you trade in your ds lite. Just thought to let you know cause it's not posted.
[/QUOTE]

GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID(thanks Xfactor4)
THE GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID "CRACKED":

:gc:=916xxx
:360:=952xxx
:ps2:=938xxx or 939xxx
:wii:=917xxx
:psp:=935xxx
:ds:=919xxx
:ps3:=930xxx
:gba:=914xxx

FAQ
These trade-in values are really low!
While that may be true, if you combine the games with the right promotion they can work to your advantage. There are knowledgeable people in this thread that are normally willing to help.

Can I trade-in sealed games?
No. You might come across the rare GameStop that would let you do it, but they are going to open them anyway.

Do trade-ins have to have their original case, insert and manual?
No, however it will be YMMV on if they charge you a refurbish fee for them in that condition. Most GameStops wont charge a fee but there are some that charge for incomplete games.

Will they accept my game if it is really beat up?
YMMV. It really all depends upon the employee you get. Some will charge refurbish fees, some wont, some wont accept the game and others just take them without a second glance.

I have a Collector's/Limited/Special edition of a game, do I have to trade-in all of the extras?
No, but there are a handful of games that their variations have separate listings at GameStop: Madden 09 Anniversary Edition, Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition, and a few others.

Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
YMMV. The official policy is no, but there are some GameStops that overlook that rule.

What all do I have to trade in for a console trade-in?
Xbox 360: Console Unit, power brick, A/V Cables, Controller (wired/wireless)
Wii: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cables, Wiimote, Nunchuck, Sensor Bar
Playstation 3: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller, USB Cable
Playstation 2: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller (Must be a DualShock2)
GameCube: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller
PSP: Handheld, A/C Adapter
Nintendo DS/DSLite/DSi: Handheld, A/C Adapter, Stylus

Can I trade in a defective/broken console?
For the most part yes. If it powers on but doesn't play games, they will take the console as a refurb unit and cut the trade-in value in half. You are still required to trade in everything required listed in the question directly above.

How much does an EDGE card subscription cost?
It costs $14.99 and is good for a year. It also comes with a 1-year subscription to Game Informer magazine.

What bonuses come with having an EDGE card?
You will get an extra 10% trade-in credit on the base value of the game and an extra 10% off the purchase of used games.

Does the EDGE Card give me a bonus on hardware trade-ins?
No. You will only get the bonus for games and accessories.

What if I want cash instead of credit, what do they deduct?
If you decide that you want cash instead of credit, they will take 20% off the base values and promos will not apply.

Does promo "....." have a minimum trade-in value?
If the promo has a minimum trade-in value requirement, it will be listed in the promo. If it isn't there, then there is no limit. However, as with all trades, they are subject to manager approval so the manager could have setup his own little rule-set requiring a minimum of whatever.

I used a Power Trade promo for a pre-order, can I cancel that pre-order and get the credit or move it to another game I want?
Yes on both accounts. However, if you do a bunch of the power trades and just straight drop the pre-order you could create some ill-will between yourself and the employees you cancel on.

I just tried to use a promo that has a select list of games eligible, but they say my game isn't eligible anymore, what gives?
Basically they have the right to change the eligible games at any time. They tend to update these frequently so as to lock out any easy/cheap games. It's best to check the eligible list the day of your trade.

Can I stack two different trade-in promos?
No. The only thing that will stack with trade-ins is your EDGE card.

If I pay for an item using all credit on my card, do I have to pay sales tax?
This varies depending upon the state you live in.

What states charge sales tax on purchases made with credit and which ones don't?
Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases:Arkansas, California, Florida, Maryland, Michigan, Pennsylvania,
Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases:Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Wisconsin, Virginia,

My state doesn't charge sales tax on purchases made by credit, why is gamestop.com charging me tax?
It is just the way they have designed their system. The best theory we have seen is that since you are only inputting the number off of the back of the card, it isn't going to pick up the programming from the specially tagged EDGE cards.

First post contains promo information and the FAQ. Second post has the 360/Wii/PS3 values. Third post has the PS2/GC values. Fourth post has PSP/DS values.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MasterSun1']You should've told him to fuck off for accusing you of being a thief.[/QUOTE]

Being combative wouldn't have been beneficial to anyone.

[quote name='bgame2']Can I make a suggestion, call the customer service line. Report the situation and tell them that your next call is to the BBB. Then ask for the District Manager's number. Go back to the store with that number, remind them of who you are and what you've done so far. Tell them you were told that you were told by the customer service people to go back, demand the appropriate TIV (regardless of any drop) and to call the district manager while in the store if they didn't accommodate you.[/QUOTE]

Has anyone had any luck with the customer service department? I feel like that would be my next step, but I'm afraid all I'm going to get is a "Manager's discretion" response.

[quote name='confoosious']Mutus - really stupid of them. All the guy had to do is simply say "we're not taking any more ME2 cause we have too many right now." The GS trade agreement clearly states they can refuse any trade for any reason. I believe it just fits under "manager approval."[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it felt like they were lying to me. Also not appreciated.

I'm sorry for derailing the thread, but if someone could give me a quick response about your experience with GS customer service, and whether or not it is worth my time, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What's funnier though is if you brought in a beat up copy of ME2, they probably would've charged you a refurb fee for it, which would've invalidated the promo being used on it.

An $8 drop from yesterday though, that's not half bad considering it's still only $7 below what they charge for a used copy that you're getting back.:D

Maybe Best Buy's coupon guy from marketing went to work at Gamestop now?

Really? I hope if you own a PS3 that's less than a year old you don't need to get it sent in for in warranty service because without the receipt you're paying the $150 out of warranty service charge AND paying for shipping too.

I always keep my receipts for 90 days(or whatever the return policy is on them), so that if I have an issue within that period I can just go in and show my receipt and get a different copy.[/QUOTE]

Got my PS3 off Dell and I still have that invoice and receipt, but I have never dealt with their customer service. Consoles are a different story. But for individual games, I hardly ever keep the receipt. If the game works, then I am happy. Needless to say, I buy most of my games off amazon anyway.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']I do.

With CAG and my weak willpower I have a massive backlog of games and I if I don't touch the game in about a like 3 weeks(most stores have a 30 day return policy), or I find it cheaper I return it.(Mostly cheaper)[/QUOTE]
Good on you then. That is pretty smart. I try to keep my backlog to a minimum though since I'm just a poor college student :cry:

[quote name='Estebon']Also, I was told by an employee. B2G1 free starts March 13/17. She said she got an email about it. I can't remember which date she said since it was mindless shit shooting.[/QUOTE]

Nice :D. Sucky thing is, thats like almost 3 weeks away ughhhh

This current promo, 50% extra, ends on the 14th or 15th? I saw one guy post that on his receipt it was 15th, but the one the promo that jp put it said 14th.

[quote name='LakersForLife82481']Nice :D. Sucky thing is, thats like almost 3 weeks away ughhhh

This current promo, 50% extra, ends on the 14th or 15th? I saw one guy post that on his receipt it was 15th, but the one the promo that jp put it said 14th.[/QUOTE]

I pulled the info off their website directly.

Lists and database updated.

"By Grabthar's hammer, by the sons of Worvan, you shall be avenged."

Thanks for updating the TIV for l4d 2. Glad it's only down $1. Just wanna say it's getting crowded in here with all the talk about how bad GS is.......

[quote name='reddog1083']Can't you guys use eBay? Seems like $25 for Bioshock 2 / Heavy Rain is pretty crap, considering they turn it around for $55.[/QUOTE]
With this promo it gets you $37.50 or $40 if you have EDGE card. Now with ebay you might be able to sell it for $50, then you have the $3 shipping plus eBay/Paypal taking another $3-5 you come out close enough. Just my perspective though. The ease of use factor of GameStop also factors in. No worrying about some idiot scammer. Don't get me wrong, eBay or other venues can be better and us CAGs know this. We like to way all options which is what this thread is here for.

[quote name='reddog1083']Can't you guys use eBay? Seems like $25 for Bioshock 2 / Heavy Rain is pretty crap, considering they turn it around for $55.[/QUOTE]

It's $40 with the bonus plus edge, so RIGHT NOW WITH THE TRADE PROMO people still get a good amount for it without the hassle of shipping and paypal/ebay fees. Normally without the promo? Ebay is your best option.

Edit: Beat me too it. Damn work.

[quote name='Mutus']Has anyone had any luck with the customer service department? I feel like that would be my next step, but I'm afraid all I'm going to get is a "Manager's discretion" response.[/QUOTE]
For all the hate that Gamestop gets, I have to say I had a great experience with customer service. The reason I had to have that experience though pissed me off to no end.

Back when the UMDs were first dropping to $5 my wife was checking them out at the Gamestop in the mall while I was looking at games. She picked up a few and then took them to the checkout. The employee was ringing her up and a few of them were rated "R" so she said my wife had to show ID. My wife doesn't drive or drink so unless she knows she's going to need her ID for something she just leaves it in the car since I always have mine. I show the employee my ID and she says "Oh no we can't do that because she might not be 18."

To keep a long story from getting a lot longer, we went back and forth for a few minutes. I asked her for her district manager's # and she gave me the wrong # that was for someone that had something to do with inventory according to their voicemail. So I called the 800 number the next day and the district manager called me back within the hour and apologized for the employee (he even described her once I told him what store) and kept trying to offer me a giftcard. I turned it down because I was so pleased with how they resolved the situation. I also never saw that employee there again.

Just keep a level head and don't get heated when you're explaining yourself and they'll more than likely side with you. Especially if you have the receipt.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']It's $40 with the bonus plus edge, so RIGHT NOW WITH THE TRADE PROMO people still get a good amount for it without the hassle of shipping and paypal/ebay fees. Normally without the promo? Ebay is your best option.

Edit: Beat me too it. Damn work.[/QUOTE]
Normally everyone else would beat me to it, but I'm pretty slow at work right now and the only project I am working on is researching whether we should go with VMWare ESXi or Microsoft Hyper-V for our new virtual environment. I'm pulling for Hyper-V.

[quote name='jp0213']With this promo it gets you $37.50 or $40 if you have EDGE card. Now with ebay you might be able to sell it for $50, then you have the $3 shipping plus eBay/Paypal taking another $3-5 you come out close enough. Just my perspective though. The ease of use factor of GameStop also factors in. No worrying about some idiot scammer. Don't get me wrong, eBay or other venues can be better and us CAGs know this. We like to way all options which is what this thread is here for.[/QUOTE]

Ah, was just looking at the list, not the promotion.

Yes I agree, eBay does get their money (as well as paypal), and after fee's a lot of these games would sell more at GS.

I just harbor ill feelings toward them ever since getting $240 for my PS2 collection back in the day... if only I had known.

[quote name='Mutus']Just thought I would share my experience trying to trade in ME2 yesterday. I went in to the same GS I bought the game from on launch day. I handed my copy to the guy behind the counter. Standing next to him was the employee that sold me the game only a month ago. The guy I handed the game to checked the back of the discs, scanned the game box, asked for my edge card, etc. The little card swiping machine with the display showed the $56.

Then the guy just stopped and said that he couldn't accept it. He said something about a lot of people coming in with ME2 with the discs being in perfect or near perfect condition, and that they were turning people away because of the possibility of them being stolen goods. He asked if I had my receipt. I said that I did at home. He said if I brought it with the game, they could accept it. I asked them if they had records of purchases through their edge program or some other way (I find this hard to believe). After politely asking them a few more questions, I left the store confused. What just happened?

So I'm being punished for being a responsible adult and taking care of my game discs and not treating them like frisbees. The first thing I do when I buy a game is install it to my hard drive for that very reason. I've never stolen anything in my life, and I don't appreciate being treated like a criminal. OF COURSE they're going to see a lot of copies of ME2 come back to the store. They're giving more than 95% of the MSRP as a TIV. What did they expect?

This isn't a criticism of GS as a corporation, but moreso a criticism of that particular store. They won't be getting my business in the near future. Luckily, there are about 6 locations within a 5-mile radius of my house.[/QUOTE]

I was faced with the same accusation when I tried to trade some sealed games (it was my first trade attempt ever at GS, I thought they'd be happy they were sealed). I was seriously offended but after I cooled off I realized that their accusations don't matter. We just have to play their little game to maximize our own benefit as best we can. I hope you had better luck trading ME2 in at another store. That's exactly what I would have done.

[quote name='Nikadimas']For all the hate that Gamestop gets, I have to say I had a great experience with customer service. The reason I had to have that experience though pissed me off to no end.

Back when the UMDs were first dropping to $5 my wife was checking them out at the Gamestop in the mall while I was looking at games. She picked up a few and then took them to the checkout. The employee was ringing her up and a few of them were rated "R" so she said my wife had to show ID. My wife doesn't drive or drink so unless she knows she's going to need her ID for something she just leaves it in the car since I always have mine. I show the employee my ID and she says "Oh no we can't do that because she might not be 18."

To keep a long story from getting a lot longer, we went back and forth for a few minutes. I asked her for her district manager's # and she gave me the wrong # that was for someone that had something to do with inventory according to their voicemail. So I called the 800 number the next day and the district manager called me back within the hour and apologized for the employee (he even described her once I told him what store) and kept trying to offer me a giftcard. I turned it down because I was so pleased with how they resolved the situation. I also never saw that employee there again.

Just keep a level head and don't get heated when you're explaining yourself and they'll more than likely side with you. Especially if you have the receipt.[/QUOTE]

So you're happy an employee was terminated because your wife neglects to carry her license? Instead of making a big stink why did'nt your wife simply go out to the car and get her ID? Seems like kind of a "I'm the customer and therefore I'm always right" d-bag move on yours and your wifes part.

[quote name='Mutus']Has anyone had any luck with the customer service department? I feel like that would be my next step, but I'm afraid all I'm going to get is a "Manager's discretion" response.[/QUOTE]

Results are mixed. I called them a month or two ago about a Edge card problem and it was handled relatively easily. I'd tried calling them several times before that about other issues and no one ever answered the phone.

[quote name='jacobisconfused']Does everyone really think they'll be doing the B2G1 shortly? If so, I'll just be patient and order my games then.[/QUOTE]

I am sure they will do one by Easter.

[quote name='Nikadimas']For all the hate that Gamestop gets, I have to say I had a great experience with customer service. The reason I had to have that experience though pissed me off to no end.

Just keep a level head and don't get heated when you're explaining yourself and they'll more than likely side with you. Especially if you have the receipt.[/QUOTE]

well to be fair, it's pretty much mandatory to have to ask for ID for R or M rated material if a person looks 25 or younger. personally, in my time as a retail employee, i only ever bothered to enforce it when it was blatantly clear they weren't 21 (sorry 10 year old kids wanting to buy gta), but i knew that i could easily get in trouble for it. hell the computer even prompted the associate to ask for ID for anything R or M rated and we had to acknowledge that we asked before we could get to the payment screen.

although if they told you that you couldn't purchase them after you showed your ID, that's pretty stupid.

[quote name='work88']So you're happy an employee was terminated because your wife neglects to carry her license? Instead of making a big stink why did'nt your wife simply go out to the car and get her ID? Seems like kind of a "I'm the customer and therefore I'm always right" d-bag move on yours and your wifes part.[/QUOTE]

Because I didn't tell you the whole long drawn out story. The reason I couldn't go back to the car was because we started this fiasco at 9:25 and the mall closes at 9:30 we were parked about 10 minutes away from the store itself so you can do the math can't you? Plus, it's not against the law to sell R-rated to people under 17, it's only store policy. The fact that we're walking around with a two-year-old wearing wedding rings is a lot of trouble to go through just to be underage kids getting R-rated movies on dead technology is it not? I also offered to just buy the movies for myself and not involve my wife in the transaction at all but she wouldn't allow that either. Believe me, I spent 10 minutes trying to reason with this woman and she wouldn't budge. Even the district manager agreed with me that she was the one at fault in this situation.

[quote name='y2jasper']although if they told you that you couldn't purchase them after you showed your ID, that's pretty stupid.[/QUOTE]
That's what I said. Believe me, being a kid that spent the majority of his free time at movie theaters I know how the ID policy works. It's not like I'm buying cigarettes for my wife which would carry legal consequences if she wasn't 18, this is media. I also forgot to mention I was over 25 at the time, the legal age required to be a person's guardian, and still she wouldn't budge. I can bring a minor into a bar with me at 25 but can't buy R-rated media? Give me a break.

IDing is company policy, not store's. If someone sells an M rated title to a minor, and someone finds out, they are instantly canned. No exceptions.

I think it is a bit over the top to not sell those movies to someone who has ID, regardless of the reason they are buying it. I'm not sure it warranted termination of an employee. Thats a bit ridiculous

[quote name='kurrptsenate']IDing is company policy, not store's. If someone sells an M rated title to a minor, and someone finds out, they are instantly canned. No exceptions.

I think it is a bit over the top to not sell those movies to someone who has ID, regardless of the reason they are buying it. I'm not sure it warranted termination of an employee. Thats a bit ridiculous[/QUOTE]

It wasn't that one situation that got her fired. Like I said the district manager immediately knew who I was talking about when I told him the store I was having a problem at. Safe to assume it wasn't the first time she got a little crazy.

P.S. - Store policy = Company policy. It's the same friggin' thing. My point was it is not state or federal policy.

[quote name='confoosious'] you should take io's class: flipping 101.

[/QUOTE]

I consider myself a proud graduate of Professor io's flipping 101 class. I really should thank him for the hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of "free" or very cheap credit I've used and built up over the past two years. Almost every game, and even a replacement console, that I've bought in the past year and a half have been purchased with that credit. So, thanks IO!!!

Just traded in:
base:

Xbox 360
mass effect 2 $30

Nintendo Wii
Guitar hero metallica $7.00
sonic and the secret rings $5.00
super mario galaxy $15.00

[quote name='DJP519']I consider myself a proud graduate of Professor io's flipping 101 class. I really should thank him for the hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of "free" or very cheap credit I've used and built up over the past two years. Almost every game, and even a replacement console, that I've bought in the past year and a half have been purchased with that credit. So, thanks IO!!![/QUOTE]

Definitely. Just about everything I own for my Wii, including the console itself, was gotten with credit from flipping. Thank god, cause after owning it for almost 2 years and getting about 10 hours of play out of it, I'd be pissed if I had spent all that money on it.

[quote name='Nikadimas']=

P.S. - Store policy = Company policy. It's the same friggin' thing. My point was it is not state or federal policy.[/QUOTE]

P.S.S. No., it doesn't, as a DM can enact something in her region that applies to all stores in the region but would have no impact on stores outside of the region. It is possible to call corporate and override said rule enacted by a DM, but that would be an exception and wouldn't fully negate said rule :bouncy:

Here's some base TIVs!

Gamecube:
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow: $.65 (yes, 65 cents)

PS3:
Dark Sector: $2.50
Resistance: $7
Soul Calibur IV: $8
AC/DC Rock Band Track Pack: $3.75
SOCOM: Confrontation (game only): $5

I got hit with ~4 bucks in Refurb fees, after inquiring with the manager (since the chick ringing me up was obviously brand new) about why, he pointed out the bad condition of two o the cases (sticker residue, etc.) and one game which was marked NOT FOR RESALE got marked too..anyway. I felt bad for the girl, so I decided not to raise a ruckus.

Walked out with ~40 bucks in credit after promo and Edge.

Now....to order Heavy Rain online..or go pick it up in Store..or just not buy it at all and use the credit for FF13...

[quote name='Nikadimas']That's what I said. Believe me, being a kid that spent the majority of his free time at movie theaters I know how the ID policy works. It's not like I'm buying cigarettes for my wife which would carry legal consequences if she wasn't 18, this is media. I also forgot to mention I was over 25 at the time, the legal age required to be a person's guardian, and still she wouldn't budge. I can bring a minor into a bar with me at 25 but can't buy R-rated media? Give me a break.[/QUOTE]
This. It's not like he was buying the movie for some 12 year old, guys- it was his WIFE. Besides, it's not like it'd be illegal for her to WATCH an R rated movie even IF she were under 18- she just couldn't buy them. It should have been fine for him to buy them for her.

And it sucks for the employee, yeah- but he probably did the same thing with M rated games and soccer moms. If he got fired, it was because he didn't have his facts down straight about the policies and was turning down sales.

[quote name='DJP519']I consider myself a proud graduate of Professor io's flipping 101 class. I really should thank him for the hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of "free" or very cheap credit I've used and built up over the past two years. Almost every game, and even a replacement console, that I've bought in the past year and a half have been purchased with that credit. So, thanks IO!!![/QUOTE]

yeah, basically since late last summer, every game related purchase i've made has been done with store credit, except for recently paying the $5 shipping for RF:G for the darksiders promo. everything else store credit.

and nikadimas, in that case, that associate was in the wrong. like you said there is no way she could have stopped you from buying the movies. probably a cranky associate who wanted to close for the night already lol

[quote name='plutoknight']Here's some base TIVs!

Gamecube:
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow: $.65 (yes, 65 cents)

PS3:
Dark Sector: $2.50
Resistance: $7
Soul Calibur IV: $8
AC/DC Rock Band Track Pack: $3.75
SOCOM: Confrontation (game only): $5

I got hit with ~4 bucks in Refurb fees, after inquiring with the manager (since the chick ringing me up was obviously brand new) about why, he pointed out the bad condition of two o the cases (sticker residue, etc.) and one game which was marked NOT FOR RESALE got marked too..anyway. I felt bad for the girl, so I decided not to raise a ruckus.

Walked out with ~40 bucks in credit after promo and Edge.

Now....to order Heavy Rain online..or go pick it up in Store..or just not buy it at all and use the credit for FF13...[/QUOTE]

Considering GameStop accepts games with no case at full value, I am perplexed as to why they would charge a refurb fee for a case.

[quote name='Nikadimas']Because I didn't tell you the whole long drawn out story. The reason I couldn't go back to the car was because we started this fiasco at 9:25 and the mall closes at 9:30 we were parked about 10 minutes away from the store itself so you can do the math can't you? Plus, it's not against the law to sell R-rated to people under 17, it's only store policy. The fact that we're walking around with a two-year-old wearing wedding rings is a lot of trouble to go through just to be underage kids getting R-rated movies on dead technology is it not? I also offered to just buy the movies for myself and not involve my wife in the transaction at all but she wouldn't allow that either. Believe me, I spent 10 minutes trying to reason with this woman and she wouldn't budge. Even the district manager agreed with me that she was the one at fault in this situation.[/QUOTE]

She was just being overprotective because they can be fired on the spot for not checking ID on M/R rated purchases. The store I frequent (which I work next to) will force grandparents to get ID out on "big" titles like CoD or Halo because there will be a mandate from corporate. Other times it's just, "you're ok buying a product rated M/R for x?"

When you had your ID and wanted to buy the movies, that's where the situation should have ended though so yeah she did go too far. Just wanted to let you know why she was being so anal.

Edit: I see kurruptsenate got ahead of me but just to stress again you're right that she went too far, but there is a clear and present danger for any Gamestop employee who would sell something rated R/M without checking ID because "they looked old enough." Once you presented your ID, the purchase should have gone through.

Also if this is an issue for you, beware of buying M/R rated stuff at Target. The checkouts require the ID to be SCANNED at the register on ANYONE regardless of age. If you refuse, good luck getting a manager to manually input your birth of date to override the prompt (only managers can do it.)

[quote name='Kendro']Considering GameStop accepts games with no case at full value, I am perplexed as to why they would charge a refurb fee for a case.[/QUOTE]

I am as well, but I wasn't about to get into an argument with the manager over $4 bucks. Call me a bad CAG, but, I'll just never trade games to that particular store again (it was my first time at this store).

Come to think of it, though, I got hit with a refurb fee on Soul Calibur IV, which was complete. I wish I had noticed that before I left the store or signed my name....there's no reason that should have been given a refurb fee. None at all.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']P.S.S. No., it doesn't, as a DM can enact something in her region that applies to all stores in the region but would have no impact on stores outside of the region. It is possible to call corporate and override said rule enacted by a DM, but that would be an exception and wouldn't fully negate said rule :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you're reading way too into it. Most stores you go into will have store policies posted somewhere and, if they are corporations, will apply to all stores just like it. Unless said rules are enacted by individual states, like GS fingerprinting some traders, they don't change. A policy a DM enacted would be something posted to wall printed on copy paper at looks like they just printed out in the back, but I have yet to see one of those. The types of rules passed by DMs usually only apply to individuals who have been flagged and are for certain situations.

In general, when someone states something is store policy, they mean corporate policy. Go ahead and call a GS and ask them what their store policy is on IDs. They're not going to correct you and tell you it's corporate policy. Every corporate policy IS a store policy, just not the other way around.

Normally I would pay no mind to corrections like that but your bouncy face at the end kind of pissed me off. ;)

[quote name='Kendro']Considering GameStop accepts games with no case at full value, I am perplexed as to why they would charge a refurb fee for a case.[/QUOTE]

Yea, those refurb fees sound suspect, probably because the girl you got was new. I'd say if you took the same games into another GS/EB odds are you wouldn't have been charged any fees. The refurb fees are at the discretion of the employee and a new employee was probably trying to show her boss that she was doing her job.

As for me every case I ever trade into GS/EB is usually old rental cases from HWV, BBV or GS/EB cases. Someone in this thread said a long time ago to "give GS/EB back their crappy stickered cases" and that is how I roll now.

Got some TIVs (Base Value):

Killzone (PS2) $4.25
Burnout (GCN) $1.50
Simpsons Hit & Run (GCN) $4.00
Guilty Gear Isuka (PS2) $0.70

Last edited by a moderator:
Gutted my copy of Tekken 6 and Section 8 (that I've had for months for trade here but no one wanted), traded in CC:RA3 and Bad Company which I got off Goozex for the previous promo, for a total of $71.xx. I'll post the values when I get home, because I don't have my receipt.

Funny thing is, I made money on Section 8 since I picked it up for $15 many months ago at Target, and it gave me almost $20 in credit.

Seriously, considering most of the stickered, broken, gross cases I get are from GS anyway.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']Yea, those refurb fees sound suspect, probably because the girl you got was new. I'd say if you took the same games into another GS/EB odds are you wouldn't have been charged any fees. The refurb fees are at the discretion of the employee and a new employee was probably trying to show her boss that she was doing her job.

As for me every case I ever trade into GS/EB is usually old rental cases from HWV, BBV or GS/EB cases. Someone in this thread said a long time ago to "give GS/EB back their crappy stickered cases" and that is how I roll now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that "Not for Resale" tag is so you can't sell the product as a new retail item. Since it's going to be sold as used (they even put a new barcode over it because it's a different product) there shouldn't have been a refurb fee.

[quote name='Nikadimas']Yeah, you're reading way too into it. Most stores you go into will have store policies posted somewhere and, if they are corporations, will apply to all stores just like it. Unless said rules are enacted by individual states, like GS fingerprinting some traders, they don't change. A policy a DM enacted would be something posted to wall printed on copy paper at looks like they just printed out in the back, but I have yet to see one of those. The types of rules passed by DMs usually only apply to individuals who have been flagged and are for certain situations.

In general, when someone states something is store policy, they generally mean corporate policy. Go ahead and call a GS and ask them what their store policy is on IDs. They're not going to correct you and tell you it's corporate policy. Every corporate policy IS a store policy, just not the other way around.

Normally I would pay no mind to corrections like that but your bouncy face at the end kind of pissed me off. ;)[/QUOTE]

well, to counter yet another one of your posts, it is corporate policy to not accept returns of opened, new games. My local store will, as well as allow you to return used games after the 7 day return policy and not make you get the same game, which is company policy. This store exercises a policy enacted by the DM which goes along the lines of "no bad customer feedback", which is similar to the customer is always right. These same rules are especially prevalent around Christmas in which they break company policy but ok'd by the DM.

[quote name='Nikadimas']Seriously, considering most of the stickered, broken, gross cases I get are from GS anyway.
Yeah that "Not for Resale" tag is so you can't sell the product as a new retail item. Since it's going to be sold as used (they even put a new barcode over it because it's a different product) there shouldn't have been a refurb fee.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Well, lesson learned. I'm not going to drive back to Gamestop argue about it, but next time I do trade stuff into Gamestop, should that time ever occur, I'll be sure to question as to why.

You'd think as much as I read this thread I'd have been a bit more careful, hah.

i just got back from GS & here is my trade ins base/after promo

XBOX360:
Assassin's Creed - $5.75/8.63

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - $23
/34.50
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 - $5.00/7.50

Dragon Age: Origins - $21.25/31.87

GTA IV - $4/6.00

Hitman : Blood Money - $6.75
/10.13
Ninja Gaiden 2 - $6.25
/9.37

PS3
GRID - $9
/13.50
Kane & Lynch $6/9

grand total=$130.50

[quote name='kurrptsenate']well, to counter yet another one of your posts, it is corporate policy to not accept returns of opened, new games. My local store will, as well as allow you to return used games after the 7 day return policy and not make you get the same game, which is company policy. This store exercises a policy enacted by the DM which goes along the lines of "no bad customer feedback", which is similar to the customer is always right. These same rules are especially prevalent around Christmas in which they break company policy but ok'd by the DM.[/QUOTE]

Rather than that being a policy within your district, isn't this just an example that entirely depends on a case-by-case basis? Or is it literally EVERY SINGLE person who returns a game can enjoy this privilege?

The only reason I'm curious is because when I worked in gaming retail, it was always the case that there was "Company Policy," then there was "Case-By-Case Incidents" in which policy could be circumvented for customer satisfaction.

[quote name='MSUHitman']She was just being overprotective because they can be fired on the spot for not checking ID on M/R rated purchases. The store I frequent (which I work next to) will force grandparents to get ID out on "big" titles like CoD or Halo because there will be a mandate from corporate. Other times it's just, "you're ok buying a product rated M/R for x?"

When you had your ID and wanted to buy the movies, that's where the situation should have ended though so yeah she did go too far. Just wanted to let you know why she was being so anal.

Edit: I see kurruptsenate got ahead of me but just to stress again you're right that she went too far, but there is a clear and present danger for any Gamestop employee who would sell something rated R/M without checking ID because "they looked old enough." Once you presented your ID, the purchase should have gone through.

Also if this is an issue for you, beware of buying M/R rated stuff at Target. The checkouts require the ID to be SCANNED at the register on ANYONE regardless of age. If you refuse, good luck getting a manager to manually input your birth of date to override the prompt (only managers can do it.)[/QUOTE]

I work at Target and can say only medicine and most rated M games prompt us to scan an ID. It's really frustrating because half the IDs will not scan. It's a terrible policy on Target's part. Because I've had to wait for a manager to override it, many sales have turned sour. Plus, it's always awkward when you ask to ask a person 50+ for their ID.

Hey guys, not to say you are in the wrong, but did you ever stop to think that by trading in more games with crappy cases that you are hurting yourself and other gamers that may want said game in the future? I completely understand about the idiotic stickers they place on the cases, but at least they can be peeled off 9 times out of 10. The real problem is that Gamestop accepts anything other than complete games/cases/manuals. I cant believe how badly people take care of their stuff.

I was ready to buy a Madagascar game used for my daughter and decided against it because the case looked like it went through the car wash and the manual was no where to be found.

Sorry for the off topic post and again, not saying anyone is wrong here, just another viewpoint to think about.

EDIT: I still get a chuckle when I read about people trading to Amazon and getting pissed when they wont accept their used games that are missing items or scratched all to hell. I applaud Amazon for only taking in quality.

Yeah, ditto especially on the "NOT FOR RESALE" one. I've seen GameStops that keep stickers from other locations with cheaper prices on the covers (while having a GS label slapped on) and even saw a used Perfect Dark Zero that had a gigantic sticker from Microsoft slapped on it (something involving it not being for resale due to it having been a copy given out to retail employees participating in some program of MS').

Sometimes I think some employees slap on refurb fees for the sake of making sure you don't get a whole lot of trade in credit.

as long as the game is in good shape, i really don't see a problem with it. as long as it has some type of housing that will keep it from getting scratches, thats good enough for me. Obviously I would prefer a complete game, but the book is usually looked at once, and thats it

Damn, can't do the heavyrain/mass effect 2 thing because in the state of FL, they implemented a new policy of holding a game for 30 days (used to be 7 days) after someone trades it in. Called a few gamestops to confirm.

I also asked them if it was okay to return a game with receipt that I bought from gamestop A to gamestop B and they said it was okay as long as it's not a collectors edition and it falls within the return period. My plan would have worked perfectly...... damn 30 days. Coupon would expire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back