Guardians of the Galaxy (SteelBook)(3D Blu-ray)(Blu-ray)(Digital Copy)(Only @ Best Buy) $34.99 *in stock again

First time trying this strategy. Was able to get a good copy in-store, but only after pointing out that the first one had numerous spine slashes. Haven't decided what to do with the second one (assuming it isn't destroyed during shipping). Might just give it to my brother for xmas. Obviously, I'll just return it if it's damaged.
Wanna sell it to a fellow CAG? I'm willing to cover shipping plus a small fee for your troubles. Just not willing to pay ebay scalper prices.

I picked up my copy last night from my local BB, which I had pre-ordered as soon as the 100 pts bonus was available, which was a few weeks ago.

Had no issues with the pickup and was good to go in a few minutes. 

I'm surprised that we've had such rampant hoarding on this one, since Cap 2 didn't have much of an issue to get one without a pre-order.  I think when Avengers 2 goes up for pre-order, I'll have to order it immediately and then do another pre-order if they do another promotion like this with the bonus points.

If BB did their normal process of only opening up in-store pickups the night before/morning of release date, lots of CAGs would have been screwed out of one with this rampant hoarding.  I think that as long as BB opens up preordering, order one for shipment and toss something else in there for the free shipping, even if it's a second copy.    Once in-store pickup becomes an option, you can always dump the other pre-order.  I know with the issues I had in the past, I've not been ordering shipped steelbooks, though if this is the issue we might see going forward, maybe I will.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's subjective, but it might have something to do with GOTG being considered a better movie than Cap 2. That, and it's somewhat independent to MCU.

Yeah, Marvel steelbooks sell out fast. Thank the hoarders who tend to buy 5-10 copies during store openings. Next time pre-order for shipping or in-store pickup. If not you have to be there at the store opening.
Words of wisdom, here.

I wasn't interested in the Thor 2 SB, and I pre-ordered Cap 2 SB, so I had no idea MCU SBs would go so fast.

I am really surprised GOTG didn't get a midnight release.

If there was no steelbook release, my money would have gone to Walmart for the slip covers.

my copy had the gunky crap stuck to the case from the stupid cardboard piece from the packaging. i got as much off as i could but some remains. -__- at least the 219 points went through

Huh, I pre-ordered 3 copies (for me and two other people before someone accuses me of being El Hoardo), and all three are currently pending with 200 bonus points. Steel Book and 600 bonus points? I'll take that.

Damn it's disheartening to know how incompetent the a lot of the best buy employees are, here is a a corporate member letting us know that they pretty much don't have any more http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/forums/mobileforumtopicpage/board-id/Music_and_Movies/thread-id/3044/highlight/true/page/2
Man, I feel bad for people who really wanted this, missed the pre-order, missed the 2nd lower price pre-order, and then missed it in store (presumably in some cases because some people bought numerous copies for resale) but that thread is one big "I'm special why didn't I get one?" bitch fest. Some of the people in there wouldn't have been happy unless Best Buy had called them up a couple months ago and said, "Hey, we've got this awesome steelbook for Guardians coming up. As one of our favorite, and most devilishly handsome customers, would you like us to set aside one for you in advance? Actually, you've been such an awesome customer, how about we throw an extra one in for free that you can give away or sell or whatever you'd like. Because you're special."

Yeah, sucks it sold so fast a lot of people didn't get it that wanted it, but chill out.

Man, I feel bad for people who really wanted this, missed the pre-order, missed the 2nd lower price pre-order, and then missed it in store (presumably in some cases because some people bought numerous copies for resale) but that thread is one big "I'm special why didn't I get one?" bitch fest. Some of the people in there wouldn't have been happy unless Best Buy had called them up a couple months ago and said, "Hey, we've got this awesome steelbook for Guardians coming up. As one of our favorite, and most devilishly handsome customers, would you like us to set aside one for you in advance? Actually, you've been such an awesome customer, how about we throw an extra one in for free that you can give away or sell or whatever you'd like. Because you're special."

Yeah, sucks it sold so fast a lot of people didn't get it that wanted it, but chill out.
Well I think this is why most people are pissed

I don't get the people spending over $50 on ebay for this.  It's just a case!  I could understand if there was an extra disc with content, but to spend an extra $30 for a case is silly to me.  

If everyone stopped buying it, hoarders would be left selling their copies for pennies.

I used to think it was because they look at them as numbers - they don't give a shit because a sale is a sale no matter who it comes from so they win. Then when I see all of these posts regarding complaints I realized that they may be making money but they're also potentially losing customers who are fed up with not getting one since scalpers buy all of them up. Then again they seem to have a steelbook exclusivity so maybe they still don't give a rat's ass anyway since even if some get pissed and take their business elsewhere it won't matter to them since they know they are the only ones that have the steel. I don't know, maybe that's it as until we see them implement a one per person rule (which we all know won't stop or deter determined scalpers but will still help at least a little) that will indicate they are taking notice.

ah, yeah, figured this was going to be a hot topic.  I also ran into El Hoardo.  I think my BB only had about 3 dozen or so in two sections.

This El Hoardo actually got in front of about 4 of us in front of him waiting at the door and grabbed about half of the stock.  Fortunately I found the second spot in the DVD/BR area and grabbed one for me and one for a friend before El Hoardo found it.

First time I've seen El Hoardo in action and worst of all, he jumped our informal line to grab two handfuls of Guardians before we could get to the main display.  Would have been more pissed if I didn't find the stock in the DVD/BR section.

I totally missed out on both online preorder opportunities by hours (first one) and minutes (second time) unfortunately.

Why didn't you preorder it online for in store pickup?
Agreed. I'm not saying I shouldn't have. I apparently missed the small window when it was available for some reason. I even had the early access since I am an Elite Plus member and when I saw it on there, it was already sold out. Checked with the store to see if I could preorder it there since that is what I did with Avengers and they said nope. It was one of those, I kept up on it, but never heard or saw a date when it was going to be available then by the time I realized it, too late!

Bestbuy should have produced more exclusive steelbooks for these types of movies. I saw some people at the store i bought mine passing on buying the regular version coz they wanted the steelbook.

I stopped by Best Buy when it opened on Tuesday morning, and managed to pick up a copy of the steel case. There definitely seemed to be a bit more demand for this particular film. I saw at least two different people go up to the counter with more than one copy of the steel case. I just stuck to one, I don't re-sell.

I think part of the demand would have to be the design of this particular steel case. A lot of steel cases just have some slightly different art. This one's design was very creative, and very much in keeping with the film itself. Anyone who liked the film and understood its 80's style would find this case immediately appealing. It's just all-around a solid, clever design.

I wound up with 2 of these, still debating what to do with the extra one. They look really cool, I'm impressed with how much better they are than I thought.

Wow, what BBY was that taken at? Does stuff like that ever get brought up on the BBY forums? That picture alone would speak so much for itself.
there's a thread on Best Buy talking about the boxed released of the steel book, but they pretty much take down anything negative in any picture proof so there's really no point in voicing your concerns there.

there's a thread on Best Buy talking about the boxed released of the steel book, but they pretty much take down anything negative in any picture proof so there's really no point in voicing your concerns there.
Yep. They said those posts and pictures don't facilitate the conversation.

I was starting to get worried, but mine FINALLY showed up in the mail today, in perfect shape. I love the design of it. I hope they do more unique looking steels like this.

If anyone is selling an extra copy I would be interested. My father in law just told me this was his favorite marvel movie, he doesn't usually buy steelbooks but he says this is one he would really like.

Cause of this, I am rescinding myself from Marvel steelbook purchases from here on. It just isn't worth the hassle until Best Buy changes their policies on this crap. And as for those scalpers, here's hoping their names get put out there so those who lost their pre-orders can castrate them.

Hmmm... I too got 200 points for Dawn of the planet of the Apes and GOTG...but nothing for SIn City 2..hmmm..  I wonder if I should call it in but I am afraid this 200 point thing is a glitch and they will take them out :(

Hmmm... I too got 200 points for Dawn of the planet of the Apes and GOTG...but nothing for SIn City 2..hmmm.. I wonder if I should call it in but I am afraid this 200 point thing is a glitch and they will take them out :(
You should atleast get the 100

There has been the same guy at my Best Buy for the last three Marvel Steelbooks. He is a very overweight middle aged guy driving a beat up station wagon. I had trouble with him for the Thor 2 one but for these last two I just do instore pickup to avoid the hassle. I just happen to get to the store at open because I was off from work both times and had errands to run. I know for Thor 2 he got 5-6 copies and for Cap 2 he had more than that. I know he had more than 2-3 this time also.
You are very lucky to have survived not one but TWO encounters with the fabled el Hoardo!!! Thank your blessings you lived to tell the tale...

ElHoardo1.jpg

If you didn't preorder this steelbook early that meant that it wasn't a priority for you.  I missed the first 2 opportunities to preorder this and ended up deciding a month before release at the sweet price of 19.99.  I don't know what else to say other than preorder next time.  

If you didn't preorder this steelbook early that meant that it wasn't a priority for you. I missed the first 2 opportunities to preorder this and ended up deciding a month before release at the sweet price of 19.99. I don't know what else to say other than preorder next time.
Yeah, I have to say the same to all those complaining. I was in the same situation as you, except it was a high priority for me since I knew I wanted to get this movie on day 1; I was just waiting to see if any other retailers had a better exclusive than BB's Steelbook. By the time I figured the Steelbook would be the best exclusive, all the preorders ran out. Luckily, I managed to get one in-store before they all disappeared in a matter of minutes. Next time, I'll just preorder and cancel/return the order if there's a better exclusive elsewhere.

Guess I will wait for Christmas to see if I got the steel book before trying to hunt one down. well that and maybe the turtles steel book. I'm undecided on that.

On a random note, this seems to take longer than I thought to type on a tablet .

I would say many of us just didn't realize that the steelbooks would be so limited.  The set was not advertised as a limited edition, just an exclusive edition.  I don't collect movies and have never had any issues grabbing an exclusive edition of a movie without a preorder.  Obviously, I now know how popular Marvel/Disney steelbooks are.  It is frustrating to go to pick something up on release date and find that they're sold out because some dealer cleaned them out earlier in the day.

I personally did try to preorder online about a week before release, but it was already sold out.  I had to work on Tuesday so making it to the store at opening was impossible.  Based on the thread, I'm not sure it would have mattered anyways.

It's hard to tell who to blame, it might be Best Buy not learning how well these sell (which is idiotic due to the last few releases) to have more readily available or perhaps it's Disney/the distributor of the things not wanting to make so many so they have to work with what they have. BB has to know by now these things are hot sellers

It's hard to tell who to blame, it might be Best Buy not learning how well these sell (which is idiotic due to the last few releases) to have more readily available or perhaps it's Disney/the distributor of the things not wanting to make so many so they have to work with what they have. BB has to know by now these things are hot sellers
I think the quickest and easiest fix is to limit it to 2 per customer. That shenanigans shown earlier of 2 giant stacks of them definitely shouldn't be permitted. On a company level, they clearly need to get a better handling on their ordering from the manufacturer, unless of course this is all they could get. Hard to say for certain.

I think the quickest and easiest fix is to limit it to ONE per customer. That shenanigans shown earlier of 2 giant stacks of them definitely shouldn't be permitted. On a company level, they clearly need to get a better handling on their ordering from the manufacturer, unless of course this is all they could get. Hard to say for certain.
Fixed it ^_^

bread's done
Back