Guardians of the Galaxy (SteelBook)(3D Blu-ray)(Blu-ray)(Digital Copy)(Only @ Best Buy) $34.99 *in stock again

got mine today, my wife surprised me and was at Best Buy at 9:58. I had to be at work early today (of all days) and was super bummed out because I knew that after work everywhere was gonna be sold out. She told me there were a lot of ppl waiting for the store to open but only her and 1 other lady went to get GotG. My wife picked up 2 steels, 1 for me and 1 as a gift for Xmas while the other lady grabbed a steel for her boyfriend and a dvd copy for her kids. When my wife checked out, she said there was only about 10 steels left and that was at 10:15 in the am

got mine today, my wife surprised me and was at Best Buy at 9:58. I had to be at work early today (of all days) and was super bummed out because I knew that after work everywhere was gonna be sold out. She told me there were a lot of ppl waiting for the store to open but only her and 1 other lady went to get GotG. My wife picked up 2 steels, 1 for me and 1 as a gift for Xmas while the other lady grabbed a steel for her boyfriend and a dvd copy for her kids. When my wife checked out, she said there was only about 10 steels left and that was at 10:15 in the am

Went to the Best Buy by my work on my break. Got there about 10 til opening and saw a line of about a dozen or so people. Figured at least half them were there for the steel. As soon as the doors opened a couple of those folks made a bee line for the movie display right in front of the store. One guy, a customer, had about 6 or 8 in his hand and people asked him for them so he passed them out. I was about to gab one from him but a guy behind me moved right in past me and swooped it up. I know this Best Buy always has another little island stand with more new releases so I headed that way. Sure enough there were two left. Grabbed both (one for brother in law for Christmas) and paid at the front, was worried I was going to be told there was a limit or another customer was going to ask for it. Wish there was one more as my buddy is a huge Guardians fan and everywhere in the area is sold out. He ended up going with Target due to the bonus content.

This is why I pre-order online and use in-store pickup. I'm not 100%, but preordering online or using ship to store online and having it shipped to your store works differently then pre-ordering it in-store. When you pre-order online and pick up in-store, the item already has a label with your name on it, and I'm pretty sure it never hits the floor. This has been pretty reliable for me.

I learned my lesson with Thor steelbook. What I do is, when a MCU movie leaves theaters, I periodically check Best Buy for a listing, and as soon as a special edition (like the steelbooks) pops up, I preorder it and do in-store pickup as soon as it's possible to do so, regardless of listed price.

I think the GOTG steelbook was $30 when I preordered it. BB automatically adjusted it to the $20 sale price when I picked it up. It's nice to be able to come in at my leisure and pick it up rather than worry about scalpers BS or being there at opening.

Just a few tips for people that want these. It hasn't failed me yet.

Yep. It was a pretty bad deal all around for the handling of this. I completely understand supply and demand and the arguments for that. But, no one can say Best Buy shouldn't have seen this coming with such a huge response at the box office. I hauled over my lunch to two stores who both told me they had copies in stock. When I got to one and was disappointed I gone in 60 seconds'd it to my normal store closest to home which said they had them too but refused to hold one for me even though I pre ordered the regular edition. Showed up a few minutes later and of course they said oh we were sold out a while ago, sorry about your bad luck! Kinda irritated as I spend thousands a year with Best Buy. I had befriended the store manager at this location a couple years ago actually through our shared Mustang drag racing passions and saw him there; figured I would ask and he said he had one in his hands for himself and would have given it to me if he hadn't put it back already (he wasn't a big fan or anything). Told him about my race through town over lunch break and he wanted to rip the customer service kid a new one (it pays to know the manager and be a loyal customer and this guy is proof every time I'm in the store he always goes above and beyond to help out). Hell, he even said "it is probably a bunch of freakin jack*** resalers". Anyways, after seeing all of this here and all over the internet, I have to say I'm pretty much just as defeated, irritated and upset at Best Buy's ridiculous and "slap in the face" service on this one. Anyone wonder why those resalers are able to be there for things like this?? BECAUSE THEY ARE LOSERS WITHOUT REAL JOBS!! I do hope they get more in considering the ridiculous demand for this. Overall, some of the worst handling I have seen from a retailer yet on such an exclusive; and I completely agree with all the comments merely proving that they should have done much better considering the demand was probably higher than anything similar yet to date.

I'll throw my hat in the ring too and say if anyone has an extra I'd paypal it straight to you but not going to hold out hope. Oh, hey, there's always eBay there to depress me further on the scalpers who don't care about the rest of the actual consumers supporting real business in the world. Sorry to hear about so many CAGs' crappy luck. Even worse considering the backlash Best Buy will get from many for this. 

Yep. It was a pretty bad deal all around for the handling of this. I completely understand supply and demand and the arguments for that. But, no one can say Best Buy shouldn't have seen this coming with such a huge response at the box office. I hauled over my lunch to two stores who both told me they had copies in stock. When I got to one and was disappointed I gone in 60 seconds'd it to my normal store closest to home which said they had them too but refused to hold one for me even though I pre ordered the regular edition. Showed up a few minutes later and of course they said oh we were sold out a while ago, sorry about your bad luck! Kinda irritated as I spend thousands a year with Best Buy. I had befriended the store manager at this location a couple years ago actually through our shared Mustang drag racing passions and saw him there; figured I would ask and he said he had one in his hands for himself and would have given it to me if he hadn't put it back already (he wasn't a big fan or anything). Told him about my race through town over lunch break and he wanted to rip the customer service kid a new one (it pays to know the manager and be a loyal customer and this guy is proof every time I'm in the store he always goes above and beyond to help out). Hell, he even said "it is probably a bunch of freakin jack*** resalers". Anyways, after seeing all of this here and all over the internet, I have to say I'm pretty much just as defeated, irritated and upset at Best Buy's ridiculous and "slap in the face" service on this one. Anyone wonder why those resalers are able to be there for things like this?? BECAUSE THEY ARE LOSERS WITHOUT REAL JOBS!! I do hope they get more in considering the ridiculous demand for this. Overall, some of the worst handling I have seen from a retailer yet on such an exclusive; and I completely agree with all the comments merely proving that they should have done much better considering the demand was probably higher than anything similar yet to date.

I'll throw my hat in the ring too and say if anyone has an extra I'd paypal it straight to you but not going to hold out hope. Oh, hey, there's always eBay there to depress me further on the scalpers who don't care about the rest of the actual consumers supporting real business in the world. Sorry to hear about so many CAGs' crappy luck. Even worse considering the backlash Best Buy will get from many for this.
Why didn't you preorder it online for in store pickup?

I was trying to get some copys for you guys as you are hardcore fans of these films like me (and i know you dont want them for resell). I tried my best v__v, this is the third straight release thay this has happened with and I would think best buy would have learned from it but I guess not. From the avengers 2 onward here's what I think they should do

.order more for opening week (seriously no reason not to, these sell like crack)
.limit one per customer. Keep the steelbooks behind the counter and prevent the hoarding as it isn't fair to others who truly want a copy for themselves
.re stock after launch

They have tons of steelbooks for films like hunger games and whatnot, why not have more of these ?

Last edited by a moderator:
So for those saying why didn't you do in-store pickup, its been labeled as sold out on bestbuy.com for over a few weeks now, so unless you were lucky enough to get your preorder in, you had to take yourself to the store to try to get one.

I was trying to get some copys for you guys as you are hardcore fans of these films like me (and i know you dont want them for resell). I tried my best v__v, this is the third straight release thay this has happened with and I would think best buy would have learned from it but I guess not. From the avengers 2 onward here's what I think they should do

.order more for opening week (seriously no reason not to, these sell like crack)
.limit one per customer. Keep the steelbooks behind the counter and prevent the hoarding as it isn't fair to others who truly want a copy for themselves
.re stock after launch

They have tons of steelbooks for films like hunger games and whatnot, why not have more of these ?
I don't think Best Buy has any say in how many they get. For the last few Marvel Steelbooks, Disney has been using the same case for worldwide distribution so the limiting factor is more than likely Disney.

In terms of popularity it seems like Thor 2 started the whole selling out in a few minutes at my local BBY and was the first one that didn't have 10+ copies sitting on the shelves after I got off work... That one I had to order from Zavvi after release...

Winter Soldier I had perordered at Zavvi and BBY... and took a while to go out of stock at Zavvi....

Guardians went up for preorder on Zavvi on July 31st... before the official release date of the film... and sold out at preorder stage in less than 48 hours.

So considering this, I was amazed that BBY had them up for preorder as long as they did.

Add me to the list willing to buy an extra from a CAG for $30 or so (that would cover cost plus shipping, right?)
Gonna have to add my name to that list as well. What's worse is that I work at a Best Buy, and I saw a guy walk out with like 6 of them as I was walking in for my shift. They were the only ones we had for sale :(

also just wanted to mention that if you don't care to import it looks like JB Hi-Fi still has them in stock and should total out around $35-$36 US with shipping.  Yes it sucks to have to pay more to import but I've done it a few times just because I can't stand not having a complete set and I would rather import than pay a scalper...

edit:  On second look this does not appear to have the 3D disc and is listed as regions locked but I've never imported a Marvel movie that was locked.

Disclaimer:  I have imported from quite a few different places but have never ordered from JB Hi-Fi so you may want to look for some reviews before you buy.

The MCU movies only started doing BB-exclusive steelbook packaging beginning with Phase 2 right?

I remember the hype with Thor: The Dark World (never got one... I didn't even get the Loki packaging from Target), which made me pre-order Captain America: The Winter Soldier.  When I got my copy, it didn't seem to be a problem.

So naturally I thought Disney and Best Buy figured their crap out and Guardians wouldn't be an issue.

Boy was I wrong.

But yeah, I'm willing to drop $30 and shipping if anybody has an extra copy.

Such a travesty.

Such an odd mentality. At $30, after fees and shipping there's nothing to profit but RZ points from the transaction.

If things hold out, I'll have one more steelbook available. I can't pick them up until after work so no guarantees yet. FYI, all of them are going to CAGs. :p
You have any extras? I missed out on this one, let me know.

So glad I did an online preorder for this one. Usually I wait til the Monday before and do an instore pickup at midnight but this is the first time I've seen where they wouldnt let you do it.

My shipped copy came in perfectly, no damage anywhere on the steelbook. First time I've seen BB ship it by this ravioli looking cardbox package but it did it's job protecting the SB.

got mine today, my wife suprised me and was at Best Buy at 9:58. I had to be at work early today (of all days) and was super bummed out because I knew that after work everywhere was gonna be sold out. She told me there were a lot of ppl waiting for the store to open but only her and 1 other lady went to get GotG. My wife picked up 2 steels, 1 for me and 1 as a gift for Xmas while the other lady grabbed a steel for her boyfriend and a dvd copy for her kids. When my wife checked out, she said there was only about 10 steels left and that was at 10:15 in the am
If you ever get divorced lemme get her number.

A little off-topic, but after my defeat, I looked for the Walmart Gamora slipcase. Found it at my third Walmart. Got the last Rocket at the second for my brother. Was able to pricematch both with Best Buy online, so if you don't need the 3D or digital copy (Which I still need...), you can maybe pricematch to get a different LE packaging for cheap.

Best Buy has been good to us on the Marvel movies.

Avengers 3D with metalpak pre-order - $25
Avengers 3D set with light up box - $20 clearance
Thor: The Dark World 3D steelbook - $23
Captain America: WS 3D steelbook w/ purch -$15
Guardians of the Galaxy 3D steelbook - $20

Iron Man 3 was the only one that I recall that didn't have a great price during release week. I believe Walmart was the only one that had it around the $20 price point.

Pre-ordered for in-store pickup, and received an email "Your item is not available for pickup." So, either my store did not receive any, or they put them out on the floor before setting aside their pre-orders!! Suck a big one Best Buy.

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]Grabbed my in-store pick-up preorder with no problem yesterday after work. They had 7 other steelbooks waiting for pick-up behind the customer service desk. I encourage others to pre-order a few weeks in advance if you want a Marvel steelbook. Better chance of getting one compared to fighting with hoarders at store openings. [/SIZE]

Pre-ordered for in-store pickup, and received an email "Your item is not available for pickup." So, either my store did not receive any, or they put them out on the floor before setting aside their pre-orders!! Suck a big one Best Buy.
[SIZE=13.63636302948px]Probably the latter. When did you place your pre-order?[/SIZE]

I am defeated.

Store sold out by noon. Ironically, one store had like 12 copies of the Hunger Games Steelbook but not 1 freaking GOTG.

Does this only happen with Marvel steelbooks?

Avengers 2 steelbook next?

I am defeated.

Store sold out by noon. Ironically, one store had like 12 copies of the Hunger Games Steelbook but not 1 freaking GOTG.

Yeah, Marvel steelbooks sell out fast. Thank the hoarders who tend to buy 5-10 copies during store openings. Next time pre-order for shipping or in-store pickup. If not you have to be there at the store opening.

Yeah, Marvel steelbooks sell out fast. Thank the hoarders who tend to buy 5-10 copies during store openings. Next time pre-order for shipping or in-store pickup. If not you have to be there at the store opening.
For this one, I did one of each. You can't trust Best Buy to reliably set aside a decent copy (or any copy) for store pickup, nor can you trust them to package it properly for shipping. I figured one of each method would be the safest bet.

I am defeated.

People were lining up before the store open. Many were buying multiple to resell. I didnt get a copy and I was there at 9:45.

For this one, I did one of each. You can't trust Best Buy to reliably set aside a decent copy (or any copy) for store pickup, nor can you trust them to package it properly for shipping. I figured one of each method would be the safest bet.
Agree. I learn my lesson from Captain America incident. I pre-ordered in-store pick up naively thinking BBY will take good care of my reserved item. So I showed up two days later. When the lady handed me my copy, the case was crushed about 2 inches long. I'm thinking is she really going to sell me that. But of course all the ones on display were sold out long ago. But there happen to have another one behind the counter. (No sure if it was reserve by another person or not) So she gave me that one. I felt sorry for the other person, but so mad at BBY how they handle the situation and their products.

At this point, I resign myself from Marvel steelbooks from here on. They aren't worth the hassle. And for consistency's sake, if I wanted to get the GotG steelbook, I'd damn sure want it for Avengers 1 and 2 so I have such pretty mashup cases.

Tried to get online, but no luck.  Walked into the store a few minutes after opening and went straight to the movie section.  Only saw two copies there and managed to get one.  Someone was saying that there was a lot more up front but when I left about 15 minutes later they were all gone.  This steelbook went quick.

I hate having this slight OCD, I can't stop refreshing the page in hopes of online orders being available. My heart is pretty hard-set on getting this Steelbook for $20 or not getting the movie at all. But my mind wants me to settle this one time and just enjoy this movie again but in 3D.

[SIZE=13.63px]Grabbed my in-store pick-up preorder with no problem yesterday after work. They had 7 other steelbooks waiting for pick-up behind the customer service desk. I encourage others to pre-order a few weeks in advance if you want a Marvel steelbook. Better chance of getting one compared to fighting with hoarders at store openings. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.63px]Probably the latter. When did you place your pre-order?[/SIZE]
I placed it on Nov. 15. I've raised the issue on Best Buy's Unboxed forums.

Thats true. Do you usually just keep the one in best condition?

I placed it on Nov. 15. I've raised the issue on Best Buy's Unboxed forums.
Pretty reasonable pre-order date. Lame on their part for not getting you a copy.

Thats true. Do you usually just keep the one in best condition?
First time trying this strategy. Was able to get a good copy in-store, but only after pointing out that the first one had numerous spine slashes. Haven't decided what to do with the second one (assuming it isn't destroyed during shipping). Might just give it to my brother for xmas. Obviously, I'll just return it if it's damaged.

I just got the Gamora slipcover at Walmart. Was there at midnight, made an employee bring it out the second 12 hit. They didn't like me for that, but too fucking bad, MINE!

I hate having this slight OCD, I can't stop refreshing the page in hopes of online orders being available. My heart is pretty hard-set on getting this Steelbook for $20 or not getting the movie at all. But my mind wants me to settle this one time and just enjoy this movie again but in 3D.
Lol yeah good luck getting it for 20 bucks, much less getting it at all since apparently every place is wiped out of the steelbook. It blows you can't find it I sympathize but no way you're getting it for 20 unless you have some credit or other BS to get it.

Called my local Best Buy to see how many they had in stock. They had about 8-12 when they opened and I snagged one for me and my dad and by the time I got to the door they sold out and people were yelling at the clerk because they accidentally put out all the preorders as well. So at least 12 people are not going to get the steelbook. 

Called my local Best Buy to see how many they had in stock. They had about 8-12 when they opened and I snagged one for me and my dad and by the time I got to the door they sold out and people were yelling at the clerk because they accidentally put out all the preorders as well. So at least 12 people are not going to get the steelbook.
Was this today? Did BBs get more stock?

I wish people wouldn't pay these resellers the $50 they are getting. If they had to sit on steelbooks no one would buy they would think twice about hoarding for sale next time.

I hope it doesn't change, but my Guardians is showing 200 points pending, 100 preorder twice.... Would be nice to get double!

Got 219 points for the order of the a steelbook. Got an email for $5 too this mourning.

I got my preorder delivered last night and the 3D disk was missing. Best Buy sending another as replacement.
so if they are sending you a whole other Steelbook, can I have your old case? Lol (but actually though...)

To be honest since it seems like everyone scalped this thing you would think the prices wouldn't even be that bad since everyone's selling. Got mine today, that cover is badass, so glad I got it. If they had just used the regular art wouldn't have bothered but I love that retro look.

bread's done
Back