Guitar Hero, DJ Hero, and True Crimes cancelled.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215254&page=1

Harmonix speaks about the death of Guitar Hero and the future of Rock Band.

Edit: Wait, why was this thread moved to the Xbox 360 forum? It should've stayed in the General Gaming forum.[/QUOTE]

Great post from John, I am also wondering why this was moved to the 360 forum. Guitar Hero games were multi-platform and not Xbox 360 Exclusive.

As for Harmonix they will do fine for now. There is less sales in the Music Game Genre nowadays, but Rock Band games and DLC still sell well. As long as Harmonix stays loyal to their fans and stay on the three main platforms they won't stop anytime soon. Lets also not forget Dance Central, that game is making me want to buy a Xbox 360 and a Kinect.

I'mwas surprising to see it happen today, but in no way is the news shocking. I couldn't care less about Guitar Hero, that series hit a dead-end years ago, but I'm really sad to see DJ Hero die so soon. It had so much potential. Couldn't care less about True Crime. Another creatively bankrupt GTA clone, most likely. And at last, Tony Hawk is done. Sort of the end of an era, that should have ended 10 years ago.

Typical Activision. Guitar Hero was the biggest franchise going for a year or two, then they oversaturated the market like mad and burnt people out on the brand, then the profit margins went down a few percent, and bam, just like that, it's gone.

I can't wait until we're having this same conversation about Call of Duty in a few years. After that, I wouldn't be surprised if they just killed the Activision brand altogether, or relegated it to casual/family/movie tie-in games, to focus on exploiting Blizzard's IPs until those are dead, too.

What's really amazing, and what really shows off the true character of Activision under Bobby Kotick and the rest of the scumbag management, is that basically in the same breath that they sort-of admitted that they oversaturated and killed the music genre, and announced the end of their franchises and a ton of layoffs that will affect many studios, they revealed that they just opened yet another studio (Beachhead Studios) to work on Call of Duty games.

It's the circle of life, Activision-style. Like, "yeah, after we slapped the Hero name on as many products as we could as fast as we could, this genre got done to death so we're going to abandon it and kill all these studios we put to work on it. In other news, we're going to open another studio to make more things to put the Call of Duty brand on, since it's next in line to get the same treatment."

So, yeah, see you guys in three years, when we're talking about the end of the Call of Duty franchise, and the massive layoffs at and/or dismantling of Infinity Ward, Treyarch, Raven Studios, Sledgehammer Games, Beachhead Studios, and whatever other poor dopes get roped into this bullshit company before then.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I'mwas surprising to see it happen today, but in no way is the news shocking. I couldn't care less about Guitar Hero, that series hit a dead-end years ago, but I'm really sad to see DJ Hero die so soon. It had so much potential. Couldn't care less about True Crime. Another creatively bankrupt GTA clone, most likely. And at last, Tony Hawk is done. Sort of the end of an era, that should have ended 10 years ago.

Typical Activision. Guitar Hero was the biggest franchise going for a year or two, then they oversaturated the market like mad and burnt people out on the brand, then the profit margins went down a few percent, and bam, just like that, it's gone.

I can't wait until we're having this same conversation about Call of Duty in a few years. After that, I wouldn't be surprised if they just killed the Activision brand altogether, or relegated it to casual/family/movie tie-in games, to focus on exploiting Blizzard's IPs until those are dead, too.

What's really amazing, and what really shows off the true character of Activision under Bobby Kotick and the rest of the scumbag management, is that basically in the same breath that they sort-of admitted that they oversaturated and killed the music genre, and announced the end of their franchises and a ton of layoffs that will affect many studios, they revealed that they just opened yet another studio (Beachhead Studios) to work on Call of Duty games.

It's the circle of life, Activision-style. Like, "yeah, after we slapped the Hero name on as many products as we could as fast as we could, this genre got done to death so we're going to abandon it and kill all these studios we put to work on it. In other news, we're going to open another studio to make more things to put the Call of Duty brand on, since it's next in line to get the same treatment."

So, yeah, see you guys in three years, when we're talking about the end of the Call of Duty franchise, and the massive layoffs at and/or dismantling of Infinity Ward, Treyarch, Raven Studios, Sledgehammer Games, Beachhead Studios, and whatever other poor dopes get roped into this bullshit company before then.[/QUOTE]

Very good post and I agree.

I never liked the approach of the guitar hero games; the interface and design seemed juvenile to me. I liked the songs they used but just couldn't get behind the games like I could Rock Band.

I'd like to see those dudebro FPS games go by the wayside, but I doubt that'll happen. People have been playing them for almost 20 years and it isn't a fad like the music games were 4 years ago.

DJ Hero came to the right place at the wrong time. I'm really sad to see DJ Hero go. It was one of the music games I actually enjoyed playing. As previously stated, GH/RB saturated the market and the music genre has been in decline ever since. I am not surprised to see GH go. They should've at least given DJ hero a chance.

[quote name='2DMention']I'd like to see those dudebro FPS games go by the wayside, but I doubt that'll happen. People have been playing them for almost 20 years and it isn't a fad like the music games were 4 years ago.[/QUOTE]

I think there is a difference between FPSes, and "dudebro FPSes." Maybe the particular kind of FPS that it is will be around for a while, but Call of Duty the brand is a fad, and a brand that will die.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I think there is a difference between FPSes, and "dudebro FPSes." Maybe the particular kind of FPS that it is will be around for a while, but Call of Duty the brand is a fad, and a brand that will die.[/QUOTE]
Activision still has the publishing rights to Crash Bandicoot. Maybe when Call of Duty stops making money, Activision can revive the series into a real time strategy massively multiplayer role playing first person shooter platformer puzzle adventure.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Just bought DJ Hero. Absolutely loving it. Sad news[/QUOTE]

Same here, it's really fun too, a lot better then I expected.

I played dj hero 2 at best buy and fell in love! Bought it for xmas and played the shit out of it for about a month or 2 and stopped. It's an excellent game but I rarely play it now unless I want to hear some beats. It's really great when you have people over chilling and then just have that game on to play/listen. Sad to hear they are done with it...

My favorite song is lady gaga bad romance - dj tiesto. Turn the volume all the way up!

[quote name='mr_burnzz']I played dj hero 2 at best buy and fell in love! Bought it for xmas and played the shit out of it for about a month or 2 and stopped. It's an excellent game but I rarely play it now unless I want to hear some beats. It's really great when you have people over chilling and then just have that game on to play/listen. Sad to hear they are done with it...

My favorite song is lady gaga bad romance - dj tiesto. Turn the volume all the way up![/QUOTE]

What system? If you have if for the PS3 and are looking to make a few bucks, shoot a PM my way

DJ Hero 1 had some pretty amazing mixes. I'd say my all-time favorites are:

Ice Ice Baby vs. Straight Up
Juke Box Hero vs. DJ Hero
Ace of Spades vs. Groundhog
I Want You Back vs. Semi-Chamed Life (Non guitar version)
Shout vs. Pjanoo

So sad to see this great series go

bread's done
Back