Guitar Hero thoughts and discussion

[quote name='Greetard']Is the guitar actual size, or is it a "mini"?[/QUOTE]

Haven't played this, but the IGN review said the guitar was about 75% of the size of an actual guitar.

I picked up this game at Best Buy yesterday (about $70 + tax with the $5 off coupon) and all I can say is that I'm glad I decided to go ahead and buy it. This game really is awesome. I'm at the second venue on Medium right now (I beat it on Easy) and it's starting to get pretty tough.

I think the thing I've enjoyed the most about this game so far is that I can actually notice myself getting better. When I went through on easy, it took a little work to get the hang of each song. I'm on medium now, but I decided to try a song on easy for kicks, and it was just boring... There was no challenge to it. It seemed to be mockingly easy compared to medium. Now if only I could master hammer-ons and pull-offs...

Any tips for making my left wrist not hurt so badly? This game is killing my hands/fingers/wrists. But then again, its such a great game that i'm suffering for it.

And yeah, I do start to trip out when I play too much. The TV was moving up on me.

[quote name='Theduck']Any tips for making my left wrist not hurt so badly? This game is killing my hands/fingers/wrists. But then again, its such a great game that i'm suffering for it.

And yeah, I do start to trip out when I play too much. The TV was moving up on me.[/QUOTE]

Guitar Hero >>>>>>> Carpal Tunnel!!!!!!!

[quote name='Theduck']Any tips for making my left wrist not hurt so badly? This game is killing my hands/fingers/wrists. But then again, its such a great game that i'm suffering for it.[/QUOTE]

As a musician and whatnot, the second you start feeling pain while you play is an immediate indicator to put the instrument/game down and leave it alone until the pain passes completely, at least for a few hours. The problem is that if you keep on stressing your muscles like that you may end up causing some physical problems. While the problems may range from minor to moderate, they could end up being severe enough where you can't really use your hand or move your wrist for a few weeks without severe pain. Best to play it a bit on the safe side and get a bit of rest whenever it acts up.

Otherwise, I'd suggest trying to manuever your hand such that you're pressing down with the fingertips of your left hand and keeping sure to keep your fingers curved rather than just pressing down with the flat of your fingers and keeping your fingers straight. It'll probably be a better hand position and cause less stress on your fingers and your wrist in the long run.

[quote name='Kapwanil']As a musician and whatnot, the second you start feeling pain while you play is an immediate indicator to put the instrument/game down and leave it alone until the pain passes completely, at least for a few hours. The problem is that if you keep on stressing your muscles like that you may end up causing some physical problems. While the problems may range from minor to moderate, they could end up being severe enough where you can't really use your hand or move your wrist for a few weeks without severe pain. Best to play it a bit on the safe side and get a bit of rest whenever it acts up.

Otherwise, I'd suggest trying to manuever your hand such that you're pressing down with the fingertips of your left hand and keeping sure to keep your fingers curved rather than just pressing down with the flat of your fingers and keeping your fingers straight. It'll probably be a better hand position and cause less stress on your fingers and your wrist in the long run.[/QUOTE]

Good stuff, Thanks!

I've gotten the hang of the pain thing sorta, my wrist was badly positioned at first. But I still can't play more than 7-8 songs because I start to trip out. :lol:

I picked this up and I've got to say if you actually play the guitar, this is gonna seem really really easy. Its still fun, the songs are great, and for those who like to feel like they're rockin' out more power to ya. However, as many others have said, I'd wait for this to drop to to 40$ or w/e at EB like Taiko.

Well I've been debating purchasing it since it sounds fun, and I have about $65 in EB credit, but alter listening to the song samples on the website, I'm just not sure it appeals enough to me since I'm not really much of a harder rock fan.

I picked this up before class at Gamestop (screw gs.com) and I can't wait to play it in a little bit. I knew the box was big, but it was still a surprise to see the size.

I picked up two of the three that my GS got in. :lol: So far I am having a blast w/ this game and (while it may just be this game is freakin' addictive) giving this game my game of the year.

[quote name='evilmax17']Has anyone ordered this from the RO site? Is there anyway to get free shipping? If not, how much was the shipping?[/QUOTE]

I placed an order yesterday at redoctane.com for the bundle that comes with two guitars and the game. Any orders over $40 qualify for free shipping. I also used the $20 off coupon that another CAG posted in one of the guitar hero threads. My total came to $89.98 for the bundle.

The last 3 songs of the easy career mode were the toughest (not the hardest concept to get), but they were much tougher than I thought they'd be. QotSA's No One Knows was very fast and tough to do consistantly well. I still got 3 stars for each, but that was a little surprising to have a grip on every song beforehand and be missing quite a lot of notes on the last three. Any tips for those three?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The last 3 songs of the easy career mode were the toughest (not the hardest concept to get), but they were much tougher than I thought they'd be. QotSA's No One Knows was very fast and tough to do consistantly well. I still got 3 stars for each, but that was a little surprising to have a grip on every song beforehand and be missing quite a lot of notes on the last three. Any tips for those three?[/QUOTE]

All I can say is practice, really. It slowly becomes instinctual. It might even help to move onto medium, get a feel for that, then go back to easy. I tried a song on easy and was suprised how mild it was compared to medium...

Of course, if you think No One Knows is hard now, wait until you see it on medium. I only hit, like 73% of the notes. Texas Flood is even harder. Lots of hammer-ons and pull-offs. I hate those. They always mess me up.

Wait till you try Bark at the Moon on Medium, that song will make your freaking hands bleed. Lots of 1,4 hammer ons.

Edit: HOLY SHAQ-FU I just beat Bark at the Moon on Medium. I was completely wrong, the 1,4 notes at the beginning of the song aren't hammer-ons, they're normal notes. God damn was that song hard....I've got such an elated feeling cause I beat it, haven't felt that from a video game in a long time.

I haven't watched any vids for this game, so I don't really know what the controller looks like. I plan on getting this in a couple days, but I have a question: Is the guitar interchangable? I'm left handed. Will I have to learn to play right-handed, or can you switch to lefty? (I hope somebody knows what I'm trying to say!)

[quote name='Rig']I haven't watched any vids for this game, so I don't really know what the controller looks like. I plan on getting this in a couple days, but I have a question: Is the guitar interchangable? I'm left handed. Will I have to learn to play right-handed, or can you switch to lefty? (I hope somebody knows what I'm trying to say!)[/QUOTE]
Yep, there's a lefty option so you can turn the guitar and play left-handed.

And here's a pic of what's inside:

The guitar is 3/4 scale, so it's still pretty big. The buttons might stick for the first day or so, but after that it'll be fine. The only other problem is the tilt sensor is a little sticky right at first as well, so if you only casually point the guitar up to hit the Star Power, it probably wont work. You really have to jerk it up to have it go off, and maybe shake the guitar a bit. Just exaggerate your movements like a rock star would, and you're good.

I can't beat any song on hard. God, hard is a lot more difficult than meduim. Oh well, I will jsut go back to playing "Ziggy Stardust" on meduim.

Hard can be a beyotch. The main thing to do in hard is get used to your index being primarily on red, instead of green. Also hammer-ons and pull offs become no longer recommended, but required. If you play Tier 6 medium songs over and over (Texas Flood especially), you'll get used to doing them.

[quote name='Logain8955']The guitar is 3/4 scale, so it's still pretty big. The buttons might stick for the first day or so, but after that it'll be fine. The only other problem is the tilt sensor is a little sticky right at first as well, so if you only casually point the guitar up to hit the Star Power, it probably wont work. You really have to jerk it up to have it go off, and maybe shake the guitar a bit. Just exaggerate your movements like a rock star would, and you're good.[/QUOTE]
You don't need to really go nuts to activate Star Power. If you just hold the guitar vertically, it'll register it in a second or two. Or if you don't feel like rockin' out, just push the select button.

So what is everyone naming their Bands? I named mine The Exits, from one of my favorite episodes of Boy Meets World.

this game is raping me. I only have 3 songs left on medium (fat lip, bark at the moon, cowboys from hell). I just cannot get a handle on hammer ons and pulloffs though. the tutorial wasn't much help.

Bark at the Moon on Medium raped my ass. Several times.

I finally beat it, but DAMN...I need to practice hammer ons a LOT more before I'm ready for most of Hard mode.

[quote name='CouRageouS']You don't need to really go nuts to activate Star Power. If you just hold the guitar vertically, it'll register it in a second or two. Or if you don't feel like rockin' out, just push the select button.

So what is everyone naming their Bands? I named mine The Exits, from one of my favorite episodes of Boy Meets World.[/QUOTE]

No, you don't have to go nutso on the Star Power, but you should. :D Then again I do stuff like walk around the room, jumps, trying to play behind my back and all that. You gotta RAWK.

Anyway, I named my band Not Like The Other, the name of my band from High School. We only got to picking the band name and coming up with a couple song titles before we gave up. Our best one was our power ballad Ode To English which seguewayed (I know I mispelled that) into our thrash song Get My fucking Order Right.

[quote name='evanft']Here's a page with samples from all the songs: http://www.guitarherogame.com/music.asp

The guy who reviewed the game for IGN was right. They tried REALLY hard to make the songs sound like the originals.[/QUOTE]

Only 30 songs?...thats making me question replay value and the longevity of interest in the game...how long do you think this game would last without someone getting bored of it?

[quote name='hatim813']Only 30 songs?...thats making me question replay value and the longevity of interest in the game...how long do you think this game would last without someone getting bored of it?[/QUOTE]

Aren't there also like 20 unlockables or something?

[quote name='Dingleberry']I'm loving the songs even though I wouldn't be caught dead listening to these tunes in public.[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with the tunes, you Dingleberry? At least it isn't rap.

i think thats the reason why he wont listen to them, theyre not rap.

Cuz you know only uncool ppl listen to Megadeth, Hendrix, Black Sabbath, Black Label Society & Pantera.

This game is really cool, its a lot more fun playing songs that i actually know (rather than games like Guitar Freaks & Gitaroo Man). Though i do not have a guitar controller, the normal ps2 controller seems to work fine.

...the guitar's bag isn't taped or stapled or anything? My guitar was just open, the bag wasn't even sealed. The game is, but the guitar isn't. The paper surrounding it, the one shaped liked the guitar, was torn too. Do you think someone opened it before or did anyone else get it like this?

Kinda wary cause one of the employees said they had played it at Best Buy when they got it and they might have used this as a second guitar (explaining why the game isn't opened).

Thanks.

[quote name='exRounder']...the guitar's bag isn't taped or stapled or anything? My guitar was just open, the bag wasn't even sealed. The game is, but the guitar isn't. The paper surrounding it, the one shaped liked the guitar, was torn too. Do you think someone opened it before or did anyone else get it like this?

Kinda wary cause one of the employees said they had played it at Best Buy when they got it and they might have used this as a second guitar (explaining why the game isn't opened).

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The bag around the guitar comes undone. I am one hundred percent positive about this, as when I picked up my copy, I walked into my EB to get my pre-order money back (They hadn't gotten the game yet, had no idea when they would, and I found a copy somewhere else) and they sliced open their last shipment box as I was standing there, containing my game. :D

Oh, and as an interesting aside, anyone waiting for price drops on this might wanna get it now, game's already going for above retail on Ebay (even though you can get it at RO, doesn't make much sense).

Yea, i noticed last night there was a single guitar version going for $95 + 10 shipping. Then right below it was the same thing for $69.99 buy it now...

Well, I made it through medium. I never lost a single song, but good god did I suck at "Cowboys From Hell" and "Bark at the Moon". Still, I guess passing with 3 stars is pretty good. Thank god for star power. So far, I've tried one song on hard, and I barely passed. Well, at least I made enough on medium to unlock both characters, all the songs, and all the videos.

This reminds me a lot of Frequency and Amplitude, where I did well at easy and medium, and then hard just became impossible for me. Still great games, though.

One thing, the money and characters you unlock only work for the one difficulty setting, so once you go up to the next setting, you lose everything.

Could anyone else give me some of their experience with the packaging? I want to make sure no one touched my guitar.

[quote name='Bezerker']One thing, the money and characters you unlock only work for the one difficulty setting, so once you go up to the next setting, you lose everything.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I noticed that when I was going to pick the Grim Ripper as my Hard character... Oh well, at least it's all available in quick play. I doubt I'll ever get very far in Hard.

[quote name='exRounder']Could anyone else give me some of their experience with the packaging? I want to make sure no one touched my guitar.[/QUOTE]

My guitar was just in a plastic bag, and the bag wasn't stapled or tied shut or anything. I think you're ok. Besides, if there's no visible marks on the guitar and it works fine, why do you care?

Edit: Mine also had foam on the whammy bar and the controller plug.

bread's done
Back