Guitar Hero thoughts and discussion

[quote name='Arikado']Boy, you know how to rock out to some Helmet, boy.[/QUOTE]

Damn right.

Also, I didn't appreciate your tone when I called you around midnight to tell you of my astounding accomplishment. I suppose I can forgive you though.

Finally got to play this today. fucking awesome game! Though, I've never even held a real guitar...so I can't do very many songs on hard difficulty yet.

I finally bought Guitar Hero last week, and all I have to say is that it rocks my world. I knew the game was going to be good (Harmonix has never let me down), but the game is too good to be true. I have never played Guitar in my life, but the game sure makes it fun. My only problem with the game, is that I'm not a fan of rock music, so that's kind of a turn off. Although I don't like that type of music, I still love the game and its easily my favorite game I bought this year (until I buy DQ8).

I want this game. Badly. I've been playing it whenever I get the chance at work (most Game Crazy's have at least demo units). Pretty enjoyable tracklist, too.

according to EBgames, they are getting my single guitar controller in on Wednesday (11/23). I've been playing it with the controller for a week now and its fun, but when I played it with a borrowed guitar this weekend, it was 10x better! It's amazing how well it pulls of the "guitar feel" as you are playing.

...hoping I get my own on Wednesday...

I'm slowly learning to do Hard....I can't wait until the rock comes naturally. Man that'll rule.

This game is also amazing because it's rekindled my love of David Bowie. :)

[quote name='evilmax17']How are your fret buttons holding out? I have 2 guitars, and on one of them the fret buttons are starting to stick.[/QUOTE]

I've noticed the red fret sticking occasionally while playing (usually on the more note-heavy songs like Unsung, No One Knows, etc.), but the problem seems to disappear as soon as it appears. No lasting damage yet.

Well, I think I've made as much progress as I'm going to make in this game... Excluding the bonus songs, I've gotten 5 stars on all Medium tracks, except for Cowboys From Hell, which I can't seem to top 3 stars on. At least this game lets you access all the songs at this point, unlike Frequency and Amplitude, which still contain songs I can't reach...

I'm about halfway through Medium and it's getting pretty hard. I doubt I'll ever be able to do more than a few songs on Hard, but that's ok. Medium still feels like I'm pretty much playing th song :)

http://www.redoctane.com/gh-cherrysg.html

adux18732774443gf.gif

[quote name='fivecardstud']according to EBgames, they are getting my single guitar controller in on Wednesday (11/23). I've been playing it with the controller for a week now and its fun, but when I played it with a borrowed guitar this weekend, it was 10x better! It's amazing how well it pulls of the "guitar feel" as you are playing.

...hoping I get my own on Wednesday...[/QUOTE]

I would bet EB will not be getting those guitars. Sorry to say, though.

I'm not a big fan or rock and roll, nor have I ever touched a real guitar. I couldn't believe I was putting down $75 for the game + guitar but I kept telling myself I had a lot of fun play the demo at BB.

I brought it home and was glad I picked it up... but damn, this game is hella hard on medium! I can't even get the greed, red, and yellow down well but whenever they throw in blue it's all over...

I am on hard mode now and earlier today while I was playing, I got a little too mad and pulled the ps2 out of the cabinet by tugging on the guitar and it fell out and scratech the disk a little bit. It still works as far as I know, but I can't do the tutorials, oddly enough..

[quote name='Vinny']I'm not a big fan or rock and roll, nor have I ever touched a real guitar. I couldn't believe I was putting down $75 for the game + guitar but I kept telling myself I had a lot of fun play the demo at BB.

I brought it home and was glad I picked it up... but damn, this game is hella hard on medium! I can't even get the greed, red, and yellow down well but whenever they throw in blue it's all over...[/QUOTE]

I felt the same way, but practice makes perfect. Keep practicing and the blue fret will be as familiar to you as the red,green, and yellow. Wait till you get to hard though, I lost like 4 times to Infected there.

[quote name='Backlash']Best Buy has tons of them around here (at least 2 Best Buys that I've been to). Does your not?[/QUOTE]

I've called every store in town. No dice!

Ok, I have a problem. Does anyone get the "You are rocking a bit too hard" message? I think my controller might be fucked up because all of my other PS2 controllers work. But the thing I don't get is that I take very good care of my controller and I don't do any moves with the guitar like swinging it. Now I can't play the game with the guitar controller. So what should I do?

[quote name='CrimsonGeist']Ok, I have a problem. Does anyone get the "You are rocking a bit too hard" message? I think my controller might be fucked up because all of my other PS2 controllers work. But the thing I don't get is that I take very good care of my controller and I don't do any moves with the guitar like swinging it. Now I can't play the game with the guitar controller. So what should I do?[/QUOTE]

That only happened once to me, when my friend tripped on the cord while I was playing and the controller came unplugged. Make sure it is plugged securely into the system. If that's not the case, that sucks. Maybe contact Red Octane or wherever you bought it to replace it.

I just started playing on Hard. How do you guys handle the 5th fret button? Just move all 4 fingers down and up as needed? It seems really tough...

[quote name='Backlash']I just started playing on Hard. How do you guys handle the 5th fret button? Just move all 4 fingers down and up as needed? It seems really tough...[/QUOTE]

most of the time when you need to hit the 5th fret button, you will need to hit it more than one time in that part of the song. What I do, is I just move my hand down so that my pinky is on the 5th fret (orange button) and no finger is on the green one. That way when I can just move my hand back up to the 1st - 4th fret when I need to.

[quote name='Technique']most of the time when you need to hit the 5th fret button, you will need to hit it more than one time in that part of the song. What I do, is I just move my hand down so that my pinky is on the 5th fret (orange button) and no finger is on the green one. That way when I can just move my hand back up to the 1st - 4th fret when I need to.[/QUOTE]

same here. Sometimes you can get away with just stretching for it, or jumping to it and back (like on a piano), but often it is best to slide down and stay there for that segment, then move back.

[quote name='Greetard']I have six songs left in Extreme Mode. I can't feel my fucking fingers.[/QUOTE]

Some Simple Tips That Worked For Me...

1) If it starts getting late for you, just put the game down and do something else (sleep is preferable). The longer you push yourself usually the more tension is added to your hands, slowing down your reaction time even more. If the muscles don't want to do it, they aren't going to do it unless you really push.

2) Like Frequency and Amplitude on the final few songs on the hardest difficulty, it's usually best to tackle one, maybe two in a single day. Trying to go all out will usually leave your hands cramped and your mind wasted. Best to take a steady approach and plug away at the same song as much as you can before feeling fatigued.

3) When all else fails, see if you can adjust your grip on the guitar so you have more of an arc (curvature) on the fingers of your fingering hand. That should give you a fraction of a section of an additional jump on the notes, which may or may not make all of the difference in the world when you need to quickly jump around chords.

I can do all but the last 2. I ALMOST had Bark at the Moon, but at the end, I had to pick up an important phone call, and after unpausing, completely lost it. I was at like 97 percent too :(

[quote name='Zmonkay']I can do all but the last 2. I ALMOST had Bark at the Moon, but at the end, I had to pick up an important phone call, and after unpausing, completely lost it. I was at like 97 percent too :([/QUOTE]

RAWK gets put on hold for no one, no matter how important the call was. You paid the price.

Anyone got any tips on mastering hammer-ons / pull-offs? I just can't seem to get it...

[quote name='Ledhed']Just beat every song on Extreme, and unlocked the secret guitar.

If you're reading this, I'm better at Guitar Hero than you.[/QUOTE]

My hands have sympathy for your hands.

Seriously, congrats - that's awesome. I need to practice the hammer-ons and pull-offs so that I can play on hard. It feels much more like playing the actual song than medium.

I just can't seem to play with all 5 buttons though. I can do the first four on hard and then Infected kills me with all the switching hand positions.

[quote name='Ledhed']Just beat every song on Extreme, and unlocked the secret guitar.

If you're reading this, I'm better at Guitar Hero than you.[/QUOTE]

I bow to your skillz. Now if only I could beat those last 2 songs, I'd be set, argh.

So I take it this game has some replay value? I just bought it (I'm picking it up at Best Buy tommorrow), and am hoping I don't play it for a couple hours, say "Oh, that's cool", and then put it up for trade.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']So I take it this game has some replay value? I just bought it (I'm picking it up at Best Buy tommorrow), and am hoping I don't play it for a couple hours, say "Oh, that's cool", and then put it up for trade.[/QUOTE]

More than some.

I finally broke down and decided to drop the cash on the game,but GameRush doesn't carry it and GameCrazy was sold out. I didn't get a chance to go anywhere else. I'm checking Best Buy tomorrow.

The few music games I have played, I loved (mainly Donkey Konga 1 and 2), plus I'm a real-life guitarist and I have an impeccable sense of rhythm. It's hard for me to focus on any one game for a long period of time these days, but I have a feeling this one will hook me.

Every place but Best Buy sells this for $79.99. :( It's been sold out everywhere for a long while, though, so I am biting the bullet and am about to head to Gamestop after the football game (they actually have it) and pay $85 or so for a copy.

I have only played 4 songs so far since my fiancee had been here since early afternoon, but I seriously love this game more than I ever thought possible.

As a guitarist, I appreciate this game's little nuances... but my favorite has nothing to do with me being a musician. Did anyone notice that, in a lovely nod to Spinal Tap, the numbers on the amps shown go to 11? fucking awesome.

Wish this was playable online.

My favorite song has to be "Sharp Dressed Man" 'cause there was a commercial shown locally that used the song for a men's clothing store.

bread's done
Back