Guitar Hero thoughts and discussion

[quote name='Ledhed']I'm willing to forgive them, since they included the Rev. Early Rev, at that. There's even going to be a Rockabilly-style character model.

Dear lord I can't wait to see the rest of the list.[/QUOTE]

Which better mean that they will include either (1) classic rockabilly and/or early country and western/honky tonk tunes (pretty unlikely, since I think they want to stay within the rock/metal vein, for now), or (2) include more modern rockabilly/psychobilly. If only the Cramps, Meteors, or Demented Are Go were to be included in this title!!!

Looks like they're going with big name bands but lesser known songs (somewhat, at least). I don't think I know that Van Halen song at all, actually. And I also think they could have picked a better Sabbath song for the game.

I've been playing this game nonstop all day. Everytime I look away from the TV after a song, everything is moving and contorting. I'm not even joking. That can't be good, but I can't stop playing. Almost done with hard mode, only 6 more songs!

EDIT: Forgot to mention this little tip. When I was checking out at EB, the cute little asian cashier told me she had heard of people using an actual guitar pick to play GH. I just tried it out, and it works really well. If you have one laying around the house, try it.

My fret buttons are starting to loosen up, the pick doesn't click equally up and down, and the whammy bar is starting to get REALLY loose. I'm assuming this is natural?

Just got this game today... awesome! I beat the game on normal after playing a couple of hours. I guess it helps that I used to play the violin back in the day. My sprained pinky is holding me back though :bomb:

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']So who is still addicted to this game like a crack lollipop? I play at least 2-3 hours a day, and I can almost nail No One Knows on Expert.[/QUOTE]

Still love this game. I'm still having trouble getting 5 star on the last 5-6 songs (Normal Mode). I stink.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']So who is still addicted to this game like a crack lollipop? I play at least 2-3 hours a day, and I can almost nail No One Knows on Expert.[/QUOTE]
Nope, I'm addicted to Guitar Hero II, but that won't be out until the fall. :whistle2:(

Anybody else having problems with the whammy bar? I bought this used, and it works only about a quarter of the time. The other part of the time, I find myself twisting and turning the thing until I can get it to work. Any ideas?

How cool would it be if for PS3 or 360 you could download or upload songs from an MP3 player and then it could have tab like things so you can play it? But that is doubtful, they couldn't turn every song into a game like this...=/

I'm still haven't made the jump to Hard since my fingers can't seem to be smart enough to shift without fucking everything up. I found an app online that might help some of us less talented GH players out there.

http://home.rochester.rr.com/gendreau/vgsplayer/

It doesn't let you actually use the guitar (yet), but it shows all of the notes, you can slow the tempo down, etc. It's pretty slick and they are working on actual GH guitar support.

[quote name='lebowsky']I'm still haven't made the jump to Hard since my fingers can't seem to be smart enough to shift without fucking everything up. I found an app online that might help some of us less talented GH players out there.

http://home.rochester.rr.com/gendreau/vgsplayer/

It doesn't let you actually use the guitar (yet), but it shows all of the notes, you can slow the tempo down, etc. It's pretty slick and they are working on actual GH guitar support.[/QUOTE]

That's really fucking cool.

Just beat the game on Medium on Friday night. Still working on getting 4/5 star on the following songs:

Cowboys From Hell
Crossroads
No One Knows
Bark At The Moon

I got tired of trying to get 4 star on Cowboys From Hell in Career, so I tried it on Quick Play. I then got 4 star on it...boooo.

Not sure if I'm ready for Hard mode yet. Damned orange button.

[quote name='asianxcore']Just beat the game on Medium on Friday night. Still working on getting 4/5 star on the following songs:

Cowboys From Hell
Crossroads
No One Knows
Bark At The Moon

I got tired of trying to get 4 star on Cowboys From Hell in Career, so I tried it on Quick Play. I then got 4 star on it...boooo.

Not sure if I'm ready for Hard mode yet. Damned orange button.[/QUOTE]

Keep trying I Wanna Be Sedated on Hard until you can 4 star it. Then you'll be ready for other Hard songs.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Keep trying I Wanna Be Sedated on Hard until you can 4 star it. Then you'll be ready for other Hard songs.[/QUOTE]

I tried a couple songs on Hard mode this morning. Currently having a lot of trouble with "You Got Another Thing Comin'". Once again....damn you orange button.

[quote name='Ledhed']For those of you using Freetar, here's a list of user-made songs that you can already play. I did a double-take when I saw Clutch, MSI and the Minibosses on the list.[/quote]

Are you playing Freetar with the GH guitar controller or the keyboard? I have a PS2/USB adapter and Freetar recognizes it, but I don't know what buttons to assign to each function.

[quote name='lebowsky']Are you playing Freetar with the GH guitar controller or the keyboard? I have a PS2/USB adapter and Freetar recognizes it, but I don't know what buttons to assign to each function.[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried it yet actually, since I don't have a PS2/USB adapter.

I read on the website that the game portion of the program isn't avaliable yet, as it's still in Alpha. But lebowsky, if you search around the on the Guitar Hero forums, you can see what buttons assign to what function on the guitar.

I finally got a 5-star rating on "Bark At The Moon" on Medium. I do know a lot of CAGers here are cruising through Hard, but not all of us are that good :)

"Cowboys From Hell" is last song out of the main list on Medium, that I need to get a 5-star on. Ahh god...why oh why

I love this game.

[quote name='Backlash']Heh, you're just procrastinating. You don't need all 5-stars before you move to Hard. :)[/QUOTE]

you are right. I fear the orange button. I played up to "You Got Another Thing Comin'" on Hard. I need more practice haha.

http://theguitarmania.com/productinfo.html

Oooooo ahhhhhh.

geetar8ju.jpg

I wish the Cherry Red SG guitar was still in print.

If I knew Red Octane was only going to have those out for a limited time, I would've picked one up at the Sony Store in San Francisco when I saw it.

My girlfriend just bought this for me/us, but I haven't played it yet. Can't wait though, we had a blast playing it in Best Buy, and she hates video games.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I beat the game on Expert about a week ago and got the Battle Axe. This game has infinite replayability![/quote]

Sweet, congrats!

I'm on Bark at the Moon on Hard and Frankenstein on expert. They seem impossible right now though.

[quote name='asianxcore']Finally beat the game on Hard this morning. :)

Slowly I'm trying out the songs on Expert. "Infected" is giving me problems.[/QUOTE]

Infected gave me a hard time until about half way through Expert. Just get past it once, then go back and 5 star it later.

Over the last month I've been playing the shit out of the game after putting it down for a while. I was finally able to get over using the 5th fret button on hard and now I'm on the 4th group of songs on Expert, I just can't seem to beat Cochise.

Playing the game on Hard has added so value to the game, I'm really glad I stuck with it. It's so much more fun playing on hard and nailing an especially nasty solo.

I got up to the 5th set of songs on HArd, but I'm probably at my limit considering I still can't do hammer-ons or pull-offs - I just strum every note. I also just hit every note combination instead of holding down the lower notes, which makes it pretty tough.

[quote name='encendido5']Sweet, congrats!

I'm on Bark at the Moon on Hard and Frankenstein on expert. They seem impossible right now though.[/QUOTE]

Frankenstein's not that difficult if you save your Star Power for the right time (you probably know where if you played the song.)

Bark at the Moon is a pain in the ass though simply because I got between 95-98% at least 15 times on that song... I was so happy when I finished it though.

i actually got through Bark at the Moon and Cowboys from Hell (expert) without using star power

the hammer/pulls in that game need work, but i just alternate pick everything. It doesn't hurt that i can play these songs in real life

[quote name='jfunkdpg']Playing the game on Hard has added so value to the game, I'm really glad I stuck with it. It's so much more fun playing on hard and nailing an especially nasty solo.[/QUOTE]

I can't agree more. Most of the songs are actually more fun to play on Hard, like "Get Ready 2 Rokk".

When I try and play Medium just for fun, the notes just seem so much slower now. I'm playing through the Career Mode on Expert, and I'm going to see how far I can get until I hit a brick wall :)

haha, you guys are funny.

On medium, the notes aren't slower. If you know anything about music, instead of playing all the passing tones (like a solo on expert) you basically play a lot of root notes, and major 3rd. You hear the passing tones in the background, but you are really playing the "framework"

think about it as if it were a chord progression

[quote name='kurrptsenate']haha, you guys are funny.

On medium, the notes aren't slower. If you know anything about music, instead of playing all the passing tones (like a solo on expert) you basically play a lot of root notes, and major 3rd. You hear the passing tones in the background, but you are really playing the "framework"

think about it as if it were a chord progression[/QUOTE]

Truth. Kinda wierd how it works out like that, but that's the technical explanation.

Right now I play on hard mode and have about 20 songs down in Expert mode. Unfortunately I fried my old crappy stereo receiver so the game sounds like crap now on my TV speakers. :(

[quote name='Chacrana']Frankenstein's not that difficult if you save your Star Power for the right time (you probably know where if you played the song.)

Bark at the Moon is a pain in the ass though simply because I got between 95-98% at least 15 times on that song... I was so happy when I finished it though.[/quote]

Yeah, I finally got through it a couple of weeks ago. Bark at the Moon was definitely tough, I would get either 60% or 98% all the time until I figured out when to use the Star Power.

I still play the game every now and then but I'm in need of some new songs.

By the way, if you thought Bark at the Moon was tough on expert, try Cheat on the Church... great song, but impossible for me to do at this point.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']haha, you guys are funny.

think about it as if it were a chord progression[/QUOTE]

I know that, on the lower difficulty you are not playing all the notes. What I was saying is that when I first started playing Medium all the songs seemed really fast to be because I wasn't used to the difficulty or the game at that point. As I got better at Medium and progressed into hard, the notes "seemed" to go slower, since I'm playing a lot more notes in the harder difficulties.

Any person who can compare the first part of Bark at the Moon on Medium then on Hard, can realize on the lower difficulty you aren't playing all the notes in there.

[quote name='encendido5']Yeah, I finally got through it a couple of weeks ago. Bark at the Moon was definitely tough, I would get either 60% or 98% all the time until I figured out when to use the Star Power.

I still play the game every now and then but I'm in need of some new songs.

By the way, if you thought Bark at the Moon was tough on expert, try Cheat on the Church... great song, but impossible for me to do at this point.[/QUOTE]

Lol, really? I found that song to be easy even when Bark at the Moon was a complete bitch.

Suppose it just depends on what skills your good at in the game.

Not sure where to post this....so I guess I'll post here. I kinda accidently threw away my guitar strap a while ago and was wondering where to get a good replacement. Do regular guitar straps work? If they do, where do I find one cheap since my friend told me real ones are rather pricey for what they are?

[quote name='suko_32']Not sure where to post this....so I guess I'll post here. I kinda accidently threw away my guitar strap a while ago and was wondering where to get a good replacement. Do regular guitar straps work? If they do, where do I find one cheap since my friend told me real ones are rather pricey for what they are?[/QUOTE]

I just looked at my guitar and the GH guitar, and it seems like it would work. I think I got my guitar strap for like ten bucks at Best Buy. You could probably find one cheaper if you look around.

bread's done
Back