Guitar Hero thoughts and discussion

[quote name='Ledhed']'Bout time you quit talking about getting and actually got it.

What difficulty you playing on?[/QUOTE]

I've only played on easy. I just finished the last of all the songs on quick play mode, at least the 10 that are unlocked before playing career. It's more difficult than I expected, since I haven't mastered hammer ons and pull offs, or use of my pinky even though I'm fine at that stuff on a regular guitar. Still, I've been hitting over 90% of my notes almost every time.

I'm going to be playing this for a while, and I know of a couple friends who, after trying this, will likely want to buy it as well, so multiplayer should be in my future. I do agree with Steve that it should be playable online, however.

[quote name='Matt Young']I've only played on easy. I just finished the last of all the songs on quick play mode, at least the 10 that are unlocked before playing career. It's more difficult than I expected, since I haven't mastered hammer ons and pull offs, or use of my pinky even though I'm fine at that stuff on a regular guitar. Still, I've been hitting over 90% of my notes almost every time.

I'm going to be playing this for a while, and I know of a couple friends who, after trying this, will likely want to buy it as well, so multiplayer should be in my future. I do agree with Steve that it should be playable online, however.[/QUOTE]

Not nearly enough people own this game AND a Network Adapter for online play to make any sense, financially. Running servers for the 30 or 40 people online at one time just wouldn't be worth it (and 30 to 40 is a high estimate).

I figured the game was popular because it's sold out everywhere, and there was enough demand to increase the MSRP. As for the network adapter issue... I just got my PS2 in November (slim version) and I completely forgot about the fact that older units don't have build in ethernet ports.

Is anyone else having an issue with their whammy bar not staying in place? Mine seems to be rotating downward when I'm playing.

I just got this at walmart and I love it, I hope they release a bunch of sequels like they do with the karaoke/eyetoy games!

[quote name='Francis']I just got this at walmart and I love it, I hope they release a bunch of sequels like they do with the karaoke/eyetoy games![/QUOTE]

Seriously, they could put out packs that are basically the exact same game with different songs and maybe different characters (although I don't really care about those) for really cheap.

Finally found a copy at EB the other day. One of the guys working there was nice enough to put it on hold for me, while I made the 40 minute trek out there.

Awesome game so far, I've played it before at my friends' house, but it's nice to have my own copy. I just finished easy, but I have a couple of 3 stars I want to get rid of. Even on easy, a lot of the songs are pretty challenging if you aren't used to it.

Also, can you only early cash for playing each song on normal once only?

[quote name='asianxcore']Also, can you only early cash for playing each song on normal once only?[/QUOTE]

You can earn more cash based on how well you did in the song. By that I mean, if you completed the song with a 3-star rating, you can earn more cash by completing the same song with a 4 or 5-star rating. Once you get a 5-star rank though, you've earned all the money you can from that particular song.

And your cash and unlockables don't carry between difficulty levels, so you'll need to re-unlock everything when you switch to a new difficulty. It's kind of a moot point though, since you can play anything you've unlocked in any difficulty in Free Play.

[quote name='Backlash']Seriously, they could put out packs that are basically the exact same game with different songs and maybe different characters (although I don't really care about those) for really cheap.[/QUOTE]

Add another vote for that!

(oh, and add support for practicing parts, like the solos)

Ok, this is coming from someone who generally dislikes Sony/Playstation stuff, AND someone who doesn't like music/rhythm games:

This is the best fucking game I've played in years. Glad my brother has a PS2 so I was able to get it. Got into it when I played at at a Best Buy setup (yeah, I know, but when you're with friends who are also willing to embarass themselves it's not as bad). I did really good on my first try - later found out it was on easy, which makes sense I guess, since I would have fucked up terribly if it were on medium or higher. Still, I probably would not have liked the game if I thought it was too hard right off the bat, so I'm glad it worked out that way.

And hell yes they should bring out add-on discs. I don't even care if they trash all the indy-band bonus tracks (although they are a nice add-on), just another 25-30 songs wrapped in the same game would be fine with me. The same mix of modern/classic/heavy/alternative/punk would be fine too.

...would love to see an Iron Maiden song in there.

I just got one of the most soul-crushingly things one can experience in this game.

Song Failed
Bark at the Moon
98% Complete
Difficulty: Expert

Soooo...cloooose.....

I think I'm one of the few people who would love to see a disc with nothing but old rockabilly classics. I know that the game's focus on guitars lends itself to particular kinds of music, but if the next game or two is nothing but Judas Priest/Stryper/Enuff Z'Nuff, the game will get old real quick. Let these motherfuckers play Johnny B Good!

Shit, Wanda Jackson's still alive; drag her ass into a recording session!

Logain, that's when you smash your guitar controller.

I just got the game today, and my only problem is that, as someone who is so right handed, I use my right hand to hit the fret buttons, it's incredibly hard for my left hand to hit that whammy bar, since it's above my hand. I just use my mouth sometimes, like a true rocker.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']I'm still not getting this whole "hammer-on / pull-off" thing...life's tough.[/QUOTE]If there's a succession of notes (going from left to right), you can keep the 1st button held down, hit the 2nd, etc.

I forget the colors, but let's say from left to right of the screen:

1 2 3 4 5

with each number corresponding with the fret buttons (1 being green 5 being orange)

Taking a piece of "music" you see:

____5
___4
__3

So in that, the first note you see and hit would be green, then yellow, blue and orange.

You could hit the 1 with your finger, hold it, hit 3, hold, 4, hold, 5 so in the end you'd have four fingers holding down buttons instead of hitting and releasing each note.

I'm not musically talented nor am I talented with the game, but that's about as well as I can explain one aspect of it this late. Though I'm guessing you figured it out yourself.

I am loving this game so far. So much fun.

Going through normal mode slowly right now, but I went back into easy mode trying to get 5 star ratings on everything...well just because. also it's really nice practice for normal mode.

"Cavemen Rejoice" is such a rad song :) reminds me a little bit of Clutch.

[quote name='asianxcore']"Cavemen Rejoice" is such a rad song :) reminds me a little bit of Clutch.[/QUOTE]

No way. Listen to the bridge in "Fire It Up". The "Keep movin' on, keep movin' on..." part. That's fucking Clutch.

[quote name='mykevermin']but if the next game or two is nothing but Judas Priest/Stryper/Enuff Z'Nuff...[/QUOTE]

It would be the greatest game ever?

[quote name='Logain8955']I just got one of the most soul-crushingly things one can experience in this game.

Song Failed
Bark at the Moon
98% Complete
Difficulty: Expert

Soooo...cloooose.....[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain man. Same thing happened to me a few times - always either at 63% or 98%. But I finally got it ^_^

While browsing Kotaku, I noticed this nifty little article:
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/guitar-hero/hidden-guitar-hero-song-170431.php

Seems like there is a hidden track in the game, sadly it can only be unlocked via a cheat device. Anyone who tries this out please let us know how the song is!

For more info on the song and how to unlock it:
http://trippolette.iscool.net/

edit:
Just watched this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_BgqlcCPF4

Damn that song looks tough... now I need to find a cheat device to play it!!!

Wow, that song looked crazy.

So, I was thinkin'...for those of you who alreayd have this game: when GH2 comes out, what difficulty will you play on?

On the one hand, starting off on Normal could help you learn the new songs, before moving to higher difficulties...but, on the other hand, starting on Hard, if you already play on higher settings in the original, might be manageable, and help you get better faster.

Personally, I subscribe to the "jump in the deep end to learn to swim" philosophy...

Expert. That's what I play now, and anything earlier is actually harder for me because it isn't as constant and hectic. If I run into problems, I'll jump down to Hard to try and learn a complicated song (probably for the last batch of 5), but otherwise, expert all the way.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I STILL haven't picked this up. What is wrong with me?![/QUOTE]

For starters, how fucking lame you are.

Get it.

Bah. I made a long post about how hard it is to figure out where your fingers are when you move your hand down from Green-Blue to Red-Orange but the post got jacked somehow. I don't feel like typing it all again. :(

I played on medium the first day I had it but then got bored and jumped up to expert. Haven't looked back since.

I'm guessing (hoping) GH 2 will have a harder expert mode. I know that the average gamer probably never got to expert but most everyone I know either started on expert or got there very soon. It's also pretty easy to get 5 stars on the first 4 sets of songs on expert - it's only on the last 2 batches (for the non-indie titles I mean) that it gets really hard to get 4 or 5 stars on expert. Either way, it's still hella fun playing the game. It's the reason I bought a PS2. ^_^

when I first got Guitar Hero I had it on Easy, simply because I wasn't used to the layout and I was sucking really bad on Easy. I still suck compared to most of my friends but I prefer the game on Medium now. Just because I get bored less and there are more notes to play.

when the new one comes out I'll probably just start on Medium.

I heard Guitar Hero 2 will have secret songs from people who submit their own riffs. This one guy at school is AMAZING with the guitar (He was even playing it with his teeth at the talent show) so I'm going to have him enter some of his stuff.

[quote name='zola']I played on medium the first day I had it but then got bored and jumped up to expert. Haven't looked back since.

I'm guessing (hoping) GH 2 will have a harder expert mode. I know that the average gamer probably never got to expert but most everyone I know either started on expert or got there very soon. It's also pretty easy to get 5 stars on the first 4 sets of songs on expert - it's only on the last 2 batches (for the non-indie titles I mean) that it gets really hard to get 4 or 5 stars on expert. Either way, it's still hella fun playing the game. It's the reason I bought a PS2. ^_^[/QUOTE]

Amplitude had a harder hardest mode than Frequency, but overrall still seemed a little easier because you're basically used to the controls and there's less of a learning curve. I still need to find Guitar Hero somewhere.

I still haven't been able to make the transition from Medium to Hard. Adding that orange fret totally jacks me up. I lose my finger placement constantly and totally jack up even the first tier of songs.

[quote name='lebowsky']I still haven't been able to make the transition from Medium to Hard. Adding that orange fret totally jacks me up. I lose my finger placement constantly and totally jack up even the first tier of songs.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much where I am. I can pass the first tier and some of the second, but it's only 3 stars and I dip into the red for like 60% of the song.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I STILL haven't picked this up. What is wrong with me?![/QUOTE]

you gotta get it, its defniitely as fun as any game to hit the market in some time. I can only get through the hard levels, but I still love playing it...even when i suck on expert.

I love this game but I'm only hovering in the 80% range on Medium. Hard is going to be a bitch and you can forget about Expert. I think you do need some type of experience with guitar because I play a little (I suck) but no one else I know does and they all can't even get past Easy... Also, I seem to enjoy myself more on the easier settings where I can hit every note - I feel like I'm rocking out a bit more than when I'm constantly missing crap. It is so addictive and I am getting better the more I practice...

I don't think you need any guitar expereince to get past easy (or medium, really). Just some coordination. Now, experience might help when you go to hard and you have to start moving your hand. But most of the people here who play expert (I will probably never even try) don't have guitar experience.

[quote name='Backlash']I don't think you need any guitar expereince to get past easy (or medium, really). Just some coordination. Now, experience might help when you go to hard and you have to start moving your hand. But most of the people here who play expert (I will probably never even try) don't have guitar experience.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have no experience whatsoever and I play on Hard...so it's not that bad.

I think actually playing guitar can mean the difference between playing Expert and excelling at Expert, but otherwise I think most anyone should be able to handle anything from the 3 lower tiers with patience.

My disc refurbishing should be finished sometime this week; I've gone far too long without this game.

[quote name='Ledhed']I think actually playing guitar can mean the difference between playing Expert and excelling at Expert, but otherwise I think most anyone should be able to handle anything from the 3 lower tiers with patience.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that sounds about right. I'm on the last tier in Expert, and have everything beaten except for bloody Cowboys From Hell. I have a musical background, but only tried guitar for a short time (like a month or so).

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6149039.html

Some songs revealed for GHII

With those sales, it's no wonder RedOctane recently announced it is working on Guitar Hero II. Today, the publisher revealed a partial song list for Guitar Hero II. Besides "Arterial Black," an original recording by Drist, it will include covers of: Black Sabbath's "War Pigs"; Butthole Surfers' "Who Was in My Room Last Night?"; KISS' "Strutter"; Rush's "YYZ"; Reverend Horton Heat's "Psychobilly Freakout"; and Van Halen's "You Really Got Me."

The Rev? On Guitar Hero? Oh, sheeeit. :cool:

[quote name='mykevermin']http://www.gamespot.com/news/6149039.html

Some songs revealed for GHII

With those sales, it's no wonder RedOctane recently announced it is working on Guitar Hero II. Today, the publisher revealed a partial song list for Guitar Hero II. Besides "Arterial Black," an original recording by Drist, it will include covers of: Black Sabbath's "War Pigs"; Butthole Surfers' "Who Was in My Room Last Night?"; KISS' "Strutter"; Rush's "YYZ"; Reverend Horton Heat's "Psychobilly Freakout"; and Van Halen's "You Really Got Me."

The Rev? On Guitar Hero? Oh, sheeeit. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I'm happy to see Rush this time, but they blew it again with Black Sabbath. Sweet Leaf (my personal favorite) or Children of the Grave would have been amazing for this game.

Don't get me wrong, War Pigs is a good song, but...man, they blew it.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']man, they blew it.[/QUOTE]

I'm willing to forgive them, since they included the Rev. Early Rev, at that. There's even going to be a Rockabilly-style character model.

Dear lord I can't wait to see the rest of the list.

[quote name='Ledhed']I'm willing to forgive them, since they included the Rev. Early Rev, at that. There's even going to be a Rockabilly-style character model.

Dear lord I can't wait to see the rest of the list.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, alright, you're right. I honestly cant bring myself to hate them.

Unfortunately, my guess is that it'll be a long time (i.e. close to the game's fall release) before we hear the rest of the list (due to licensing stuff and all that).

It'd be really cool if they, y'know, revealed one song a week or something, until it was released. That would be awesome.

I FINALLY got it yesterday. Had to trade in an arm and a leg, but I got it. And all I have to say is DAMN this game is fun. I think I'll go play some right now.

bread's done
Back