GuitarFreaks DrumMainia Silver 29.99 Play-Asia

[quote name='Wario64']guitar hero controller works? never knew this...[/QUOTE]

Yeah but it always pulls left, so you'll have to turn on the system with a regular PS2 controller connected to it and then swap it out with the GH controller. Plus you'll have to re-assign the buttons for the GH controller, but it works.

you also have to set the buttons like this:
Button Function
--------------------------------
O Red
Triangle Green
X Blue
D-Pad Up Picking
D-Pad Down Picking
L2 Wailing

it works with some annoying issues. You basically need to unplug and plug in a regular controller constantly to change songs and mess with the menu

Is it worth the purchase? Meaning with Guitar Hero 80's Edition, Rock Band and Guitar Hero III all coming out this year, is only things making me uncertain about the purchase and especially the whole controller interface thing.

Well, it depends on how much you want to invest. Guitar Freaks has always been more enjoyable to me than Guitar Hero (esp since guitar hero is another shameless red octane ripoff product... I kid... sort of).

But the best game of them all is Drum mania. But you need to get one of the midi drumsets to really enjoy the game or the arcade set.

[quote name='Zoglog']Well, it depends on how much you want to invest. Guitar Freaks has always been more enjoyable to me than Guitar Hero (esp since guitar hero is another shameless red octane ripoff product... I kid... sort of).

But the best game of them all is Drum mania. But you need to get one of the midi drumsets to really enjoy the game or the arcade set.[/quote]
What's the song selection like then if you don't mind me asking.

Absolutely nothing like Guitar Hero. If you've got taste in a variety of music genres, then it's worth a try. If not, do it anyway because Konami needs to bring the damn series over here. :D

^I wouldn't be surprised if they did....with the popularity of Guitar Hero.

Anyway, I have a magical guitar & the GF 4/DM 3 game. I want to order this, hopefully I can raise up some more PayPal before this is sold out.....

I almost forgot to mention, the music is definitly better in GF/DM than GH in my opinion...but I don't like much American music or anything hard rocking at all >_

Well Konami could botch it now because of the presentation and huge lack of familiar U.S. licenses because it IS a game for a Japanese audience.

I heard a while back that Konami actaully was thinking of bringing GF stateside and calling it Guitar Revolution or something. But I can only imagine the masses of ignorant people screaming about "ripping off Guitar Hero".

Yeah I would guess 75%+ of people would call it a Guitar Hero ripoff. What I don't get is if Konami released it in the arcades in the US in 2000 or so, why didn't they release it on PS1 as well back then here.

This deal is tempting, I just need to get the rest of my Drummania controller. All I have is the drum itself, no pedal, drum sticks or a stand (bought it on EBay w/ Drummania 1st Mix for $41.xx shipped)

A patent was filed but nothing came of it.

Konami will also be location testing GuitarFreaks and Drummania this summer alongside DDR SuperNOVA 2 at the same place where beatmania IIDX GOLD was at. Brunswick Zone in Naperville, Illinois.

So let me get this straight. I can use the GH controller but I have to unplug it and swap it with a PS2 controller after every song?

Sounds like too much work...

Oh my god. This is what I call an AWESOME CAG POST.

Not only do I own a Japanese PS2 (version #1, first batch with the awesome DVD movie flaw), I also own a Guitar Freaks guitar AND the original Drummania set.

I haven't touched any of this equipment in many years, but at this price, I think that everything will be coming of of storage very soon!

purchased. Thanks OP! You're the best!

Great deal. I'm filipino and bought my an asian ps2 modded to play US games way back in 02 when I was there with family. Have only used it really to play drummania, and beatmania, and some initial d games. This is the best deal ever on a guitarfreaks/drummania game. Thanks!

Kinda ironic that if the mod chip ever crapped out, I could only play asian/japan games.

the game is also very import friendly, as most of the menu are also in english. The problem is that most of the songs are japanese and wont might not appeal to people not familiar with japanese music.

Any way of playing this on an American PS2 without having to mod it? Any sort of swap magic or anything like that? Thanx.

The problem is that most of the songs are japanese and wont might not appeal to people not familiar with japanese music.

Uh, that just might mean the title is in Japanese, not the song.

Any way of playing this on an American PS2 without having to mod it? Any sort of swap magic or anything like that? Thanx.

You just answered your own question? Also, HDLoader.

[quote name='Nohbdy']You just answered your own question? Also, HDLoader.[/QUOTE]
Can anyone here confirm that it works with HDLoader? (Even if it isn't recognized by the internal ripper, I know how to inject from my PC.) Awesome price for an import game and good to know the GH controller can be used, but despite all the crazy money I spend on miscellaneous entertainment items and accessories, I never found it necessary to buy myself a mod chip, since I never import. (Have a first-generation HDL, though.)

[quote name='Nohbdy']Uh, that just might mean the title is in Japanese, not the song.

[/QUOTE]

I owned the gold version and the songs are in Japanese.

[quote name='dafunkk12']Can anyone here confirm that it works with HDLoader? (Even if it isn't recognized by the internal ripper, I know how to inject from my PC.) Awesome price for an import game and good to know the GH controller can be used, but despite all the crazy money I spend on miscellaneous entertainment items and accessories, I never found it necessary to buy myself a mod chip, since I never import. (Have a first-generation HDL, though.)[/QUOTE]
I got the gold version working with 0.8 HDLoader. Dont know if older version will work. And yes you would have to inject from the PC first.

[quote name='Zoglog']Well, it depends on how much you want to invest. Guitar Freaks has always been more enjoyable to me than Guitar Hero (esp since guitar hero is another shameless red octane ripoff product... I kid... sort of).

But the best game of them all is Drum mania. But you need to get one of the midi drumsets to really enjoy the game or the arcade set.[/QUOTE]

No it isn't. Look at the NeoDrumX 2nd Mix songlist and understand. You'll LOVE it!

[quote name='62t']I got the gold version working with 0.8 HDLoader. Dont know if older version will work. And yes you would have to inject from the PC first.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the confirmation. I went ahead and placed an order.

Just be careful using the shoddy GH controllers as the picking on them sucks for inconsistent timing. You're going to get a HELL of a lot more goods than perfects using it.

Ahh, yes, the one thing that will seriously deter a Guitar Hero player when playing GuitarFreaks: TIMING.

Suddenly those 5-star Expert players don't seem as veterans when you put in timing now, huh? :p

[quote name='bardockkun']Is it worth the purchase? Meaning with Guitar Hero 80's Edition, Rock Band and Guitar Hero III all coming out this year, is only things making me uncertain about the purchase and especially the whole controller interface thing.[/QUOTE]

Slightly OT, but do we know if the 80's edition is coming to the 360 as well? Hoping it's not PS2 exclusive...

[quote name='Nohbdy']Ahh, yes, the one thing that will seriously deter a Guitar Hero player when playing GuitarFreaks: TIMING.

Suddenly those 5-star Expert players don't seem as veterans when you put in timing now, huh? :p[/quote]

lol that's what I thought going from GuitarFreaks to Guitar Hero. I started playing GH and it seemed incredibly easy, and it is compared to GF.

bread's done
Back