[H] PS4, PS3, PS2, PSP, PC, stuff [W] PS2, PS3, PS4, PS Vita

HDMI > component > composite. you can only use one of those to hook up your system to an output device.

will you be hooking it up to a monitor or a tv? you do have the option of HDMI to DVI (or RGB) conversion for a monitor.

hey we all gotta learn sometime & somewhere. there's no one alive that didn't have to learn something, and all ps3 owners had to learn that, too. no biggie.

Oh, definitely hooking up to a TV, my monitor is 15" diagonal and not even wide-screen. :p It's about 6 years old, I don't know if it can do HDMI or not.

I have no idea what the technical specifications are for the TV (I'm living at home while commuting to university), but I bet I can grab a model number and google it.

I didn't even play it - I was doing a little research on it, going through the manual.... a little too violent for my tastes. I got it from a Switchgames trade because someone I knew recommended it, but I think I should have looked at the Youtube videos before putting it on my wishlist.

I try to check my account every other day or more often if I have a trade going. If I'm on vacation I might be offline for as long as a week though. I definitely recommend hooking up a PC to a TV through HDMI, less cables to manage is always better. You might need to use a larger font and medium or larger Icons to make everything easier to see :lol:

I never knew that Cowboys and Aliens was a webcomic, when did that come out? I was just interested to see it after I saw a trailer for it at the theater ;)

Ah, but I live at home currently, so if I hook up to the TV, there's a bit less privacy. Also, I have to share the space with siblings, and I want access to my computer whenever I want. Maybe when I finally graduate and get a job and an apartment, I'll be able to hook up my PC to a TV, and it won't matter because I won't be disrupting anyone.

I think I read it (the webcomic) 6 or so years ago? By the time I read it, it had already been completed. I read through it once and thought it was mildly entertaining, but not enough that I'd read it again. From what I remember, the art quality was so-so in my opinion - nothing outstanding. I don't remember much about the story specifics.

killer 7 (and all suda 51 games) is definitely an acquired taste. i don't mind violence in games, and it is over the top with it (even though it's all in stylized cartoon like graphics).

Sorry, I just assumed that the TV only for your own personal use, you always have to take family into account of course :lol: That's too bad about the webcomic, I was going to look it up and see if it was still online but I'm very particular about the artistic style of comics that I read:roll:

Well, maybe it is good for webcomic-quality? But, compared to Marc Silverstri, Brett Booth, Michael Turner, Eric Basaldua, and other similar styles in the industry.... yeah, okay, most webcomics can't really hold a candle to those guys! :p To be fair, I've seen some pretty crummy art (in my opinion) in published stuff, and some really classy and quality artistic styles on free-to-read webcomics. There's no harm in looking it up and seeing if it meets your standards of quality - I happen to be extremely picky.

I used to read a lot of webcomics many years ago, but I've culled it down to a handful that update regularly and that I like. Of course, they have enormous archives... I've been reading through Wapsi Square again, 10 years of archives does take more than a few hours to get through...

i saw an MTV True Life episode about younger kids allergic to foods, and doing the allergy tests. are you trying to see what foods you can eat, or would you care to share why you need the tests? good luck either way.

I started having a recurring sinus infection earlier this year. Got my sinuses looked and imaged and there's nothing wrong structurally, so the doc suggested to get tested for respiratory allergens as a possible cause. Turns out I'm allergic to ragweed, tree pollen, and some grass pollen, as well as to dust mites, dogs, and cats. I've never had a severe allergic reaction to anything (like sudden onset of acute symptoms), so I had no clue I was actually allergic to any of this stuff!

Gotta say, the testing was almost as unpleasant than the sinus infection symptoms I had/have. :p Should've brought my PSP with me, there was a lot of waiting involved with nothing for me to do.

ALSO: yes! Finally finished re-reading the Wapsi Square archives! The intricacies are much more apparent when I can read everything in the span of a few days as opposed to several years (I've been reading the comic for about 5 to 6 years).

[quote name='Alaisiagae']The price drop was pretty smart of Nintendo, now the PSVita will be $80 more expensive than its rival (the 3DS). Not sure if that is was Nintendo was thinking /if that was the primary reason. At least they are nice enough to offer those early adopters those 10 free games, that's a pretty sweet deal. If it was Sony announcing an $80 price drop, they wouldn't give a crap about early adopters. As much as I like my PS2 and its library of games, Sony as a company leaves much to be desired in the Public-Relations department![/QUOTE]
it would've been nice if they let you choose 20 games from eshop, or 2 3ds games, not forced crap that i've already played, and certainly didn't buy a 3DS to play. they could've at least extended our warranty for a year, or something worth a darn. i will never touch those games.

it's also a different story, and possibly nice from the perspective of those that didn't get screwed by a 30% price drop in 4 & 1/2 months. lucky me, huh :roll:?

Ah, that's a bummer. I sort of felt the same way with the Sony "welcome back" program, it was sort of lame, especially that it expired! The games I could choose from for my PSP were... well, the only one that interested me was LittleBig Planet, and after playing it, I realized I don't even like it.

Bump...

What a coincidence, I read Wapsi Square too :lol: I've been reading it for quite a while as well so I didn't realize that it would take that long to go through the whole story. I like the recent twists they had with shelly and also with Monica's boss and her "librarian" friend ;) I regularly read about 40 webcomics but some only update once a week so it only takes me about 30 minutes each night to read them all before I go to bed :lol:

I used to get a recurring sinus infection but I figured out that it had to do with a combination of my allergies and breathing the particulates after there was a fire nearby. I'm allergic to certain Fungi, animal dander, and some plants that emit heavy fragrance such as Jasmine :whistle2:(

evening bump

Why are those PS2 code cheat things so expensive? I was looking some of them up on Amazon and even ebay. I doubt gamestop still carries them, but I'll keep an eye out anyway.

I guess I have to value it. Either I spend hours and hours re-doing the game because I didn't make good skill point choices, or I spend money on a cheat device that let's me edit all that.

And despite having started a new character, Champions: Return to Arms is still really hard. Stupid enemies with uber moves that wipe out half my health... *grumble* It was fine for the first few levels, but then it went right back to being as punishing as Champions of Norrath, by which I mean I die every five minutes. I'm pretty sure I'm not this bad at video games in general. Some times I dread starting a new game, I hate it when something I want to like just keeps kicking my butt no matter what strategies I use.

I don't know why old gaming gear is expensive since it can break at any time but I guess if people are willing to buy it at that price that's where it will stay. If you don't like games where you die a lot don't play Demons Souls then :lol:

I've never heard of that Cheezburger network, I'll have to check it out. From the list of webcomics you posted in my thread I read: Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, Questionable Content, The Nonadventures of Wonderella, and XKCD. Since you read those you might like these: S*P and Stuff, Sore thumbs, Sam & Fuzzy, Sinfest, Shortpacked!, weregeek, and spacetrawler ;)

It isn't that the dying always pisses me off. If I learn from my mistakes and get better, then it is worth dying a few times. But, if my character's death is due to just dumb random chance, then I don't like it, because no matter how hard I try, the game kicks me in the shins anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions, I might check them out!

I think I'm going to go for the Action Replay Max 50,000. Less expensive than Magic Swap, and it is still supported by the manufacturer (unlike, say, Pelican's Codebreaker). I'll just have to back-up my save files in case any get corrupted. And my PC's USB keyboard will have to do double-duty, I guess - good thing it is plug-n-play. I browsed their code list, and while it doesn't have everything I want, it has enough for the games I want codes for.

i could have sworn my local walmart still had some ps2 cheating devices. is there only certain ones that have the codes yopu're looking for? i'll check when i get groceries tomorrow or tuesday.

It's okay, I already bought it. $27 (including shipping) for the Action Replay Max 50,000. Fortunately, after doing some google research, it looks like I can convert codes from other devices (such as codebreaker) into ARMax codes.

So, yeah, of course I could get it for a few bucks cheaper, but 1) this seller had the best positive feedback %, and 2) it should arrive by the end of this week, if not sooner!

The only drawback with the ARMax is that I've read that using the update-by-usb feature can corrupt save files, and it will cause the game to crash if too many cheats are put into one game. So, I just make sure to enter my codes manually and only use a few at a time, and I should be good. Still, I'm going to back up my save files, maybe use a separate memory card for save files I'll cheat with. Definitely less scary than the prospect of using Swap Magic...

Good, I hope you like them since it always helps the artist out if they have more readers ;) I don't mind dying unless it's either a glitch which makes me replay the whole game or a cheater uses a hack to kill everyone as they spawn:bomb: The worst death I can think of is this one time I was playing Modern Warfare 2 and after I was spawn killed I could see that the person who killed me was aiming at blank walls and killing my entire team as they spawned, worse were his trolling teammates laughing about how we sucked. Finally we had someone who was cheating join our side and they nuked the opposing team, needless to say they left pretty fast after that :lol:

I saw that question about thread maintenance so here's what I can think of that might help you. I only change my thread title when I significantly change what I have to trade. I usually add and take away a significant amount of stuff from my tradelist every two to three months. It keeps the list fresh and lets people know that if they want something they have to get it before you sell it somewhere else.

I try not to list a price unless it's something I really want to get rid of quickly. It generates more PM's and of course I like to see what is the current value of an item I'm selling since some of my items are collectible and can either go up or down in value. I try to keep everything organized by system and alphabetically, it makes it easier to find items when I need to move them to my completed trades list.

I would recommend keeping a spoilered list of what you currently own so that people don't offer those games or items to you ;) Color coding is good but try to use colors that are easy to read, It's almost impossible for me to read a block of text all in red for some reason. Make sure that you update your list whenever you trade or sell something so that people don't keep asking for stuff that's already gone. You can always just put sale pending if the deal is ongoing and the buyer/trader hasn't made a firm commitment. I think I might have run out of room but If I think of anything else I'll just include it next time I bump your thread ;)

[quote name='Alaisiagae']How do you decide to remove the "pending" status from your trade list?

In other words, imagine the following scenario. A CAG wants to buy some games from you, but only checks into their account every four or five days. Do you keep "pending out" next to the games, or do you remove it and see if someone (who responds to PMs faster) wants those same games? Is it bad manners to do something like that?[/QUOTE]
i only put games in 'pending out' once a deal is finalized, but if someone hasn't gotten in touch with you AT aLL in 5 days, then i would absolutely remove pending status. that's not rude at all. it's rude to keep you waiting, and possibly missing out on sales, for that long. if you are really concerned, put a message regarding it in your intro. say if you don't hear from someone in 5 days, you will accept other offers on that item. if the 1st person comes back, fine, but at least others can offer, y'know? that's how i'd do it anyways. you are extremely well mannered as it is, so noone will fault you for that, i promise.

That's a good idea, putting that in my OP as a policy. The thing is - and this has happened to me before on Switchgames - sometimes my trading partner's internet connection might be on the fritz unexpectedly. In that case, it isn't due to rudeness or neglect that I haven't heard from them, but due to an event outside of their control.

I will try to think of a good policy. Maybe a time limit, but with a loophole saying that I don't mind waiting as long as I'm given advance notice - i.e. trading partner has to go on a business trip, or there's a family emergency, or other commitments that leave little or no time to work on the deal.

maybe I can develop a different status category.
pending out = finalized deal
pending deal = still in the works, if you make me a better offer than I might sell the games to you

Or would that be too confusing? I don't want to cause any misunderstandings, or hurt feelings - I know I'd be bummed if I was making a deal and then suddenly my trade partner decided to sell to someone else.

@OldSchool77: Thank you for the tips! I'm not sure I'd be able to update the OP a lot, as I've really slowed down my game-purchasing - I don't have fresh new items to add. I feel like I can't buy a game until I eat through my backlog more - in other words, I already have many games that I haven't even played, I should finish those before thinking about buying a new game. If I do add things to the OP, they would probably be fantasy novels - I don't read much anymore, so I might put my books up for sale since I doubt I'll re-read any of them.

[quote name='Alaisiagae']How do you sell on Amazon? I thought only merchants could do that. :unsure: How big of a fee does Amazon take from the profit? I have some stuff that I want to sell, and so far my options are Craigslist and Ebay... =/[/QUOTE]
go to the EXACT item listing of the item you want to sell. click the "have one to sell?" button on the righ, and fill in all the info. yopu have to put in a credit card or bank account. they will explain the details, but they take a set amout (1-5$) + 15%, so you have to jack up the price considerably to get what you want. stuff sells pretty darn quick, though.

on the pending, as long as you put what each pending means in the OP, i don't find it confusing at all (well i don't anyway, but no one should then). i completely understand on not wanting to be rude. you could just say, "please be considerate & KEEP IN TOUCH or else i may sell the item to someone else. i can't afford to keep things forever. will be on a case by case basis."

we need to switch lives, man. i live in the poorest part of the city, and you're smelling flowers? you don't have to rub it in, lol!

Oof, that's quite a large piece of pie that Amazon wants! I thought Switchgames' 10% cut (and, due to an error on their part, the shipping cost is also included in the 10% of the final cost) was a bit big. I'll have to look at my "Ebay for Dummies" book again.

I see twztid answered for me, nice to know I could take a few days off and be covered :lol: No problem on the tips, you must be better disciplined than me. I tried to cut down to one new game a month but then Steam had to go and have an awesome summer sale with several of the games from my wishlist. As far as pending status goes, if it's someone I've traded with regularly I'll hold onto the item quite a while since I figure they might be having some problems. If it's someone that I just started dealing with I wait one week and then I take "pending out" off of the listing if I don't hear from them.

I usually play casual games to unwind but I do sometimes play zombie killing games since they are mindless fun ;) I definitely like the pixeljunk series and puzzle games for the PSP. Amazon does ask for quite a bit but eBay changed their fees a while ago and I seem to be paying more now :whistle2:( What kind of books do you read? I'm a voracious reader but I particularly like Sci-Fi and Fantasy books. Lately I've been rereading Sherlock Holmes though :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to read, emphasis on "used to." :p Now, I find that it is way to passive an activity for my tastes. I still have some books I bought but never read. =/ Oh, well.

I have a lot of fantasy books, and a few sci-fi books as well. I can't get to my bookcase at the moment, it is blockaded by a bunch of heavy crap/junk. :whistle2:x But they're all in really great condition, I always took care of my paperbacks and used a bookmark to prevent spine-creasing. I think my favorite author is Terry Pratchett, I love the Discworld series! I haven't read the newer books, but maybe I can get them from a library, or even get the audio-book version if I don't want to stare at text all day.

bed time bump! Or evening bump, it is a little too early for bed, though I'm all worn out from spending a few hours picking blueberries in the sun. I knew there was a reason I usually try to go there earlier in the morning...

bumpage.

i don't read anything since college textbooks. even before that, i only read gaming magazines. i hate books for some reason. now that VO's are popular in games, i hate reading text in rpg's, etc, that use it alot. i know Skyward Sword is coming out this holiday, and Zelda games never use VO's, so i'll be reading alot of text there. i don't mind as much when it's on a screen for some reason (i like the books in the Dragon Age & Elder Scroll's games).

Guess I'm one of the few that still likes to read old fashioned paper books then :whistle2:( I started reading about 1,000 pages per week in High School in addition to the required reading. I've always liked to read and I can usually get through a book fairly quickly if I like it. I'm down to about 300-400 pages now since I also like to read webcomics and news online. This week I'm currently reading Return of Sherlock Holmes, Paul of Dune, and miscellaneous gaming magazines ;)

Did you ever read any of Terry Pratchett's books about Johnny Maxwell? I own one somehow, probably from when I belonged to the Science Fiction Book Club :lol: Since you like Fantasy these are three of the authors of my favorite Fantasy series: Robert E. Howard, Terry Brooks, and Anne McCaffrey.

Oooh, I have the Dragonriders of Pern books! Well, most of them, I think I'm missing some of those little spin-off books. And I have one or two of the ones by her son, I don't recall. I thought it was really neat how she blended sci-fi into what seems to be a fantasy setting. But, there were a few inconsistencies in event chronologies. Honestly, I don't remember more than half the books; the only really exciting stuff (to me, at least) was when they rediscovered their technology and space-age past.

As for the other two authors, I haven't read any books by them. Unless... was Terry Brooks the guy who did Sword of Shannara? Yeah, he was, wasn't he? I read a number of those, up to the one about that guy trying to help his evil sister or something.

Next time I'm able to root around my bookcase, I'll try to get a list of authors and books. I will, of course, be flooded by a wave of fond memories, swiftly followed by a sense of sorrow. And then I'll be all like "Whatever! Let's go play some God of War!" :p

-------
Oh, yeah, I like the in-game books from the Elder Scrolls, too! Some of them are really cool short stories.

Bump!

If you have a game that you like but you aren't sure if you'll play it again, what do you tend to do? Do you hang on to it, or do you try to trade it/sell it for newer games you haven't played yet?

On that note, what if you have a game and its expansion packs. Do you trade/sell them for the compendium edition that has all the content on one DvD?

Yup, Iike books with dragons in them so I have quite a few of that series:lol: Terry Brooks has actually written quite a bit, I have his "Running with the Demon" series and his "Magic Kingdom of Landover" series. I read a few of the Sword of Shannara books but I lost interest and preferred the other two series I mentioned. I used to travel a lot and I didn't like to take any electronics on backpacking trips so my books were heavily read. Robert E. Howard is the creator of Conan and a whole bunch of other older series. He died in the 1930s so it's hard to find his books but they are definitely worth reading. If I consider all the genres I've read over the years overall he and H.P. Lovecraft are my favorite authors:cool:

If I really like a game and might want to possibly play it again it goes back into my backlog. If I have a game and it's expansions I sell them separately and base the price on whatever it's going for online ;)

[quote name='Alaisiagae']Bump!

If you have a game that you like but you aren't sure if you'll play it again, what do you tend to do? Do you hang on to it, or do you try to trade it/sell it for newer games you haven't played yet?
[/QUOTE]
i have always tended to keep games in those cases, but i have found that to be a big mistake, and i regret it alot now. i am going to start selling them why the TIV is decent, then if i want to play again, i will get through a trade down the road. i'd rather get a game i will play and enjoy now then put them off, like i so often do!

btw, man, no disrespect to anyone else, but honestly, your thread layout is my favorite that i've seen thus far on CAG. very nice job (just in case i didn't tell you that before).

Thanks! :D

-------
Okay, so I finally decided to install Divine Divinity, and the dumb thing doesn't play nice with my OS (XP 64-bit). :roll: Figures! Oh, I'm sure there's a way around it, some google searching turned up instructions for a manual installation, but I really don't want to deal with the potential hassle of constantly wrestling with the game to make it work.

nighttime bump!

For those of you who have been on CAG for a while, do you tend to notice any trends of when users browse the trade forums? In other words, do there tend to be more people trying to buy/trade at certain times of the year? Likewise, are there certain times of the year when there don't seem to be as many members trading/selling?

[quote name='Alaisiagae']nighttime bump!

For those of you who have been on CAG for a while, do you tend to notice any trends of when users browse the trade forums? In other words, do there tend to be more people trying to buy/trade at certain times of the year? Likewise, are there certain times of the year when there don't seem to be as many members trading/selling?[/QUOTE]
you know, i have'nt really thought about it tbh.

[quote name='Alaisiagae']nighttime bump!

For those of you who have been on CAG for a while, do you tend to notice any trends of when users browse the trade forums? In other words, do there tend to be more people trying to buy/trade at certain times of the year? Likewise, are there certain times of the year when there don't seem to be as many members trading/selling?[/QUOTE]

Seems like it but I've never really kept track, lots of buying/ trading before the holidays and I always do a few multi-pack deals whenever Steam is having a sale :lol: I could go through my emails and see what months are slow but it's sporadic and I think it mostly depends on what you have in your list at the time ;)

[quote name='OldSchool77']Seems like it but I've never really kept track, lots of buying/ trading before the holidays and I always do a few multi-pack deals whenever Steam is having a sale :lol: I could go through my emails and see what months are slow but it's sporadic and I think it mostly depends on what you have in your list at the time ;)[/QUOTE]
exactly. it's too unpredictable, since it's so subjective. i've never thought about what time of year i've been up & down, though.

Hmm, interesting. Makes sense that the holidays would be busy, though. But, you're right, it probably is sporadic and might be more closely linked to game releases (and people wanting to trade for a new game, or people trying to sell the new game if they didn't like it).

Bump! Okay, trying to play Drakan: The Ancients Gates. 2002 game, the combat sucks, the quick menu sucks.... the only thing I like so far is probably the voice acting. But after playing Champions: Return to Arms, the combat in this game feels like I'm wearing oven mitts. Even when I'm cheating (invincibility), it isn't easy. I would even be so bold as to say that Gothic 1's combat is better, and that's saying a lot. It's one of those things where I want to like the game (yay, dragons!) but I just can't bring myself to slog through it. I mean, come on, huge open world and all I have is a HUD compass, no HUD minimap!? *sigh* I'll probably put it up for trade soon. You'd think renting it twice and returning it both times would have indicated that a third time would not be the charm. It never is. I don't know why I bother reading user reviews...

Sounds like you're a glutton for punishment :lol: I either try the demo or about 30 minutes of a game, If I don't like it by then I usually get rid of it unless it's a series I REALLY like *cough* Other M *cough* . I was looking at your tradelist and I noticed that you had the sequel to The Longest Journey but not the original, did you ever play it? It was one of my favorite games, it had a great story and even though the graphics are dated now at the time they were pretty decent.

Yeah, I actually have the Dreamfall GotY, so I've played both. I was disappointed with April's personality change in Dreamfall, but it was cool to see the 2D sites from TLJ brought to full 3D in Dreamfall. I think one of my favorite parts of TLJ was the Book of Secrets with all the VAing bloopers! :p

I don't like that Dreamfall left on a cliffhanger, or the rumor that Dreamfall would continue with episodic games - ew. Oh well, plenty of other games to play - though there certainly don't seem to be many adventure games like TLJ anymore. Even Dreamfall was watered down in terms of puzzles (I had to use a walkthrough for TLJ) and item gathering/combinations. I also liked how in TLJ April would have comments for whenever you clicked on something, even if it was a scenery or object that was never used to solve a puzzle or anything. There wasn't much of that for Dreamfall.

Yeah, I'm realizing that my tastes really don't line up with reviewer's opinions at all. I've been burned so many times, buying a game that was supposed to be "really good" and I end up not liking it at all. That's why I don't like digital distribution, there's no way I can rent a game to see if I like it. Same with PC games (if they don't have demos).

le bump!

EDIT: Also, I can (barely) access my bookshelf, so I think I'll start trying to inventory everything tomorrow. I've got my books lined up 2-deep -- it's a small bookcase! :p

SELL ALL THE BOOKS! [insert meme]

Okay, went through and took down ISBNs of all the books I want to sell. Good news, many of them have Dragons in them! Check the OP for the list (it's in a spoiler box). I think I priced them reasonably, no? Can't believe I paid full price at B&N when I bought these, what a rip-off.

bread's done
Back