[H] PS4, PS3, PS2, PSP, PC, stuff [W] PS2, PS3, PS4, PS Vita

Wooooo, Storm Irene is gonna hit this evening! :eek: The worst part is that the latest storm trackings have it going smack-dab right over my town.

So, get the cars in the garages! Oh, wait, that's right, my dad filled the garages with crap after winter was over, and there is no room for any vehicle. Thanks for nothing!

Yeah, I hope none of the trees fall down. We have a generator, so it's no big deal if the power goes out. But, it would really suck if a tree bashed into the house or on one of the cars. Assuming it gets that windy... I mean, even during the ice storm a few years ago, none of the trees shattered and fell on our property. It's good that my parents had a lot of the very tall (100ft+) trees near the house removed 7 or so years ago.

Wow, that sounds scary that a huge hurricane is going to pass right over your town:shock:. Also, that sucks that you can't put your cars in, hopefully you stay safe!

Well, it got downgraded to a tropical storm category 1. There wasn't even any thunder or lightning, just some wind and some rain. Nonetheless, the power went out anyway (some careless driver smashed into it, no doubt). And the fuel pump on the generator was broken, so it took 2 hours until it got working (my dad set up a gravity feed for the fuel). Even then, we couldn't turn on a whole lot of stuff at once, so no computer or PS2 for me. So, good thing I had my PSP charged and ready to play!

Power is back on. All the heavy rain happened before noon. And here I was, actually worried. Sheesh. Remind me never to pay attention to the weather forecasters on the media.

[quote name='Alaisiagae']Well, it got downgraded to a tropical storm category 1. There wasn't even any thunder or lightning, just some wind and some rain. Nonetheless, the power went out anyway (some careless driver smashed into it, no doubt). And the fuel pump on the generator was broken, so it took 2 hours until it got working (my dad set up a gravity feed for the fuel). Even then, we couldn't turn on a whole lot of stuff at once, so no computer or PS2 for me. So, good thing I had my PSP charged and ready to play!

Power is back on. All the heavy rain happened before noon. And here I was, actually worried. Sheesh. Remind me never to pay attention to the weather forecasters on the media.[/QUOTE]
good you're safe. no one checked the generator beforehand? at least you have a dad that knows what's going on (or period :cry: jk).

the hdd of my 80gb hd ps3 said 74 useable. the 160 has 149 useable (but it showed there was 139/149 available. the full format didn't fix whatever's eating that space). i think the ps3 stuff (LOTS of stuff like netflix,the xross media bar, every option & update available, etc) uses that space.

now, i have to re install all my games & everything i ever bought from psn store or got from ps+ (games, avatars, themes, demos, etc). i had 397 things i have to get. i got to 115 yesterday.

the ps3 MAKES you install 40% or so of most games & it takes 15 - 30 mins mostly (except mgs4 that takes 1.5 hours to install 4gb). wish this would have all been for a 500gb hdd, but 160 is double what i had, so with my habits, that should be plenty.

Do you think the partial-installs help with loading times? And you can uninstall games you no longer play, right? How many games do you figure you can have installed on a 160GB (without other downloads like Netflix, music, etc)?

[quote name='Alaisiagae']Do you think the partial-installs help with loading times? And you can uninstall games you no longer play, right? How many games do you figure you can have installed on a 160GB (without other downloads like Netflix, music, etc)?[/QUOTE]
no, but the ones that do partial installs are mandatory.

if you get a 160gb for games only, you'll never come close to filling it up if you delete the installs from games you sell or no longer have (yes you can do that). the only reason my 80gb got full is because i have a HUGE backlog & playstation plus (that gives you free games every week. i get those even if i don't play them, cuz once they remove them, you can't get them free anymore).

evening bump!

Ugh, so no one remembered to reset the clock on the water softener after the power outage, and OF COURSE today is when the fool thing decides to perform a regeneration cycle - and, since its clock was off, it did this in the morning when everyone was awake. Result? Iron/minerally hard water. Absolutely disgusting, I still can't get the stink off my hands from washing them.

But, see, even though the water softener finished its regeneration, all the crap hardwater is still in the pipes, so I have to flush the toilets two to three times, clean any toilets that have iron deposits built up, and run the faucets for a few minutes to get clean water.

Okay, so it isn't that big of a deal, but its a hassle I could've lived without! Gah! I'm just getting so high strung what with classes starting on the 1st of Sept; I always get nervous at the start of a new semester, what with the new classes and new professors...

I'm all better, thanks for asking :D I'm glad to hear that the storm passed and that you're okay, The weather forecasters don't always get it right but it's at least helpful to know what to prepare for. I've only noticed that the PS3 HDD install helps on some games, I do them whether they're mandatory or not ;)

I'm surprised that you need a water softener, I thought only the desert areas of the West Coast needed them? I only felt nervous the first and last year of college, and of course when I had to get a job :lol: If you know anyone that likes to smoke meat let them know you want that Maple tree gone and I'm sure they'd be happy to remove it for you.

[quote name='OldSchool77']
I'm surprised that you need a water softener, I thought only the desert areas of the West Coast needed them? I only felt nervous the first and last year of college, and of course when I had to get a job :lol: If you know anyone that likes to smoke meat let them know you want that Maple tree gone and I'm sure they'd be happy to remove it for you.[/QUOTE]
Our well water has a lot of iron and other minerals in it. When the softener isn't running, the water is tinged brown (ew) and smells/tastes like rust. Blech. It isn't super hard water, but it's definitely not something you'd want to wash your clothes in. Or drink. I mean, you can drink it, but it tastes bad.

Actually, we tend to keep firewood (such as from any trees we remove) for use during the winter for the woodstove, and for the occasional fire in the fireplace. That woodstove is amazing, it really puts out a lot of heat! Nice and cozy for thawing out on a freezing day. It isn't a super big/old maple tree, just very tall. If I could fly up there and trim 20 feet off the top, I'd do that. But, since I can't fly and lack elevating machinery... well, it'll have to come down. Might as well take it down in a controlled manner than have it fall on the house...

@twztid13: well, I ended up sleeping in really late, so it all works out. :)

[quote name='Alaisiagae']I'm not done with Summoner 2 yet, I probably have 5 hours to go, possibly more if I decide to fight in the Arena to level up my characters. :p It's got a bit of sandbox to it, so I can run around the world map and delay the main quest while I attend to side quests. I have to admit, I used a cheat code to give me 99 million gold. Geez, that really is a lot of money. I've been spending like crazy, giving away hundreds of thousands of gold pieces, and I still have over 90 million left. It is slightly mind boggling...[/QUOTE]
i do EVERY single thing available (including getting achievements/trophis which is a weird new concept in the new gen of consoles) when i play games that i love. i, too, hate for them to end. what system is summoner 2 on? ps2? i've never heard of it i don't think. does it have a picture of a blur or purple character with wings on the front artwork? maybe that's sacred 2. i get pictures i can see in my mind, and many are insignificant so i have trained myself to ignore them, but i can can usually call up that mental picture when years later it becomes relavent (but by that time it's a little cloudy).

i had to explain why i asked you about the blue winged creature on the front, lol. that's pathetic.

Yeah, for the PS2. I think it was also released on the Gamecube under the name "Summoner: A Goddess Reborn". The PS2 coverart has a lady in a red tankini/armor combo holding up a sword. This, specifically.

EDIT: ack, wasn't ready to post yet.

Yeah, I like to do all the sidequests, that's why I'm using a the gamefaq's "secrets" guide for Summoner 2, because there are so many hidden quests and stuff that I'd never figure out in a million years. I copy and paste it into a word processor, make my edits, and print it out so I can reference it while I'm playing.

[quote name='Alaisiagae']Our well water has a lot of iron and other minerals in it. When the softener isn't running, the water is tinged brown (ew) and smells/tastes like rust. Blech. It isn't super hard water, but it's definitely not something you'd want to wash your clothes in. Or drink. I mean, you can drink it, but it tastes bad.

Actually, we tend to keep firewood (such as from any trees we remove) for use during the winter for the woodstove, and for the occasional fire in the fireplace. That woodstove is amazing, it really puts out a lot of heat! Nice and cozy for thawing out on a freezing day. It isn't a super big/old maple tree, just very tall. If I could fly up there and trim 20 feet off the top, I'd do that. But, since I can't fly and lack elevating machinery... well, it'll have to come down. Might as well take it down in a controlled manner than have it fall on the house[/QUOTE]

That explains it then, I get well water as well but mine is full of calcium deposits mostly, very little rust thank goodness. I have a firepit that I made in my backyard that I used to use for getting rid of the trees I cut down, now I have a smoker though ;) I also have a fireplace but I've never used it since it doesn't get cold enough where I live.

I thought that you just wanted to get rid of the tree for the view. Why would it fall, is the tree dying?

No, it isn't dying, but if there was another ice storm or some other intense weather, it could break. Or get hit by lightening; a tree further back on our property got hit over the summer and crashed down. But, yeah, mostly I want it removed because it blocks the afternoon sun from reaching the deck in Spring, late summer, and autumn.

We have a burn pile near the yard, too. In spring, when the town allows people to get a burn permit, we burn off all the accumulated garden clippings, stray branches, etc.

afternoon bump

I drove all the way to the campus bookstore to buy my lab book, and, aside from the store being crowded like crazy, the computers for all the checkout people had frozen, so no one could buy anything. Ugh.

hope all the anxiety was for naught. let us know if all went good today. best of luck for the coming semester.

what classes are you taking? by what i know of you, i bet you are taking much more than a full time load (12 credits). am i right?

I survived! :p I still have one more class that hasn't met yet, but I think it'll be okay. I shouldn't have been so nervous, and once I got on campus, I sort of got back in the zone and it all felt familiar again - despite the construction going on. I'll have graduated by the time the new science building is completed. *sigh* Oh, well...

this semester I'm taking: Organic Chemistry 1, Cell Culture Techniques, Cancer Biology, and Cell Biology.

I'm most bummed about Orgo; see, the prof who regularly teaches it is, from what I've heard, a very crappy instructor: students say you have to teach yourself because the guy is so bad. Well, I guess he's on sabbatical or just away for this semester, so the university hired someone new to teach orgo for this fall. I like her so far - she has an accent, but I can still understand what she says, and I feel confident that she couldn't possibly be worse than the usual prof. But, today I learned that the usual prof will be teaching the second half of organic chemistry (orgo 2) next semester, not the new prof. :( Ugh!

bump.

I added some stuff to the OP, a chem textbook and one of those stupid clickers that some professors like to use. They decided to use a completely different make and model this semester, so the one I bought last semester is useless. Ugh, overpriced piece of useless crap. It's price gouging, no doubt about it. Just like how Texas Instruments charges as much for a specific model of calculator now as they did 15 years ago. I mean, you could buy a smartphone for less than it'd cost to get a "high-end" calculator. You'd think the advances in technology would translate into vastly reduced prices for a mere hand-held calculator, as well as increased function and utility.

Bump!

I can't burn yard waste in my area so I have to wait a while before I can burn the logs in my outdoor firepit, everything else goes in the green waste bins to be composted.

Congrats on adapting to going back to school, you're lucky that you're in a semester system. Your school has a different naming system for classes, I took Genetics and that's where we covered cancer. I also had Cell & Molecular biology which is probably the same as cell biology. I don't remember cell culture techniques unless it was part of Microbiology or Tissue culture :lol: I also had to take 3 quarters of O-chem and luckily it ended up being one of my favorite subjects :D

That sucks about the sudden switch of professor, I only had that happen twice and both times everyone's grades dropped when the second professor took over :whistle2:( I know what you mean about the calculator's I have a TI-85 from 1993 and I was shocked when I still saw them being sold recently. I thought for sure they would be onto the TI-1000's by now :lol:

Oh, the uni offers Genetics, I took that last semester. And I think there is Molecular Bio, but I'm not sure. Cancer bio is a new course that is being offered this semester, as is Cell Culture Techniques. Sometimes profs will offer a little course like that - you know, limited seating, doesn't happen every semester, etc. It might be years before it is offered again! O_O

[quote name='Alaisiagae']Oh, the uni offers Genetics, I took that last semester. And I think there is Molecular Bio, but I'm not sure. Cancer bio is a new course that is being offered this semester, as is Cell Culture Techniques. Sometimes profs will offer a little course like that - you know, limited seating, doesn't happen every semester, etc. It might be years before it is offered again! O_O[/QUOTE]
in those cases (rare/limited classes), will it transfer? what's your major?

i guess it doesn't matter (unless you go for a Master's) since i thought you were at junior college level. you're taking University classes, though. i had classes like social psychology that were very limited, but i was so into psychology & the professor loved me, so he made sure i got in to all the specialized classes he taught. i changed to biology major way into my degree program. i had to take remedial classes in math, biology, compostion & rhetoric, for like 3 semesters each since i dropped out of high school after completing the 8th grade & getting my GED. it was a beeze since half of my schooling was at a private school where you got taught at your own level (so i was doing college algebra in 7th grade). the maths & sciences i loved (cuz i was good at them), but i was NOT an arts & english person (though i did maintain a 4.0 average throughout junior college).

so that's what, 14 credits with the 2 labs? the most i ever took was 13 in a single semester, but i partied alot, while others were taking 18 creds a semester like it was nothing & worked & voulunteered, etc. i was like, uhhh i need time to sleep, lol.

best of luck on the semester, bud. i'm sure you'll ace it with ease. it seems like you already know how to divvy up your time, and that's the hardest part, imho. keep us updated on your mid terms & finals (if you don't mind).

I'm an undergrad. I say uni because my college got upgrade to university status last year. There are still only undergrads for daytime classes. I have (including this semester) a year and a half to go before I get my Major (biology) and two minors (Chemistry and Physical Sciences/Geography/whatever-they're-calling-it). So, it's still more of a college than some big grand fancy university, I suppose.

I spent my first two semesters with my major as undeclared, so that's why it is taking me longer than the standard 4 years to graduate, because there are just soooo many courses needed for the Bio Major. At least I finished all my distribution requirements last semester, so now I can focus entirely on the useful classes that will help me get an actual job and a major. :p

EDIT: Uh... 14 credits? Yeah, plus 2 from an independent study, which I may or may not continue seeing as how I don't really need more credits this semester in order to be a full time student (need at least 12 credits). Depends if I don't like one of my Bio electives and decide to drop it - but I don't think I'll end up doing that, unless I really instantly hate Cell Culture techniques or something.

I took some fairly obscure classes as well since one of my teachers loved that I was always able to get good grades in his classes. It lead to a plant path minor for me as well as the topic for my thesis project for my Masters :D I took a really long time in school since I worked and went to junior college first due to the fact that I had no idea what field I wanted to go into :lol:

[quote name='OldSchool77']I took some fairly obscure classes as well since one of my teachers loved that I was always able to get good grades in his classes. It lead to a plant path minor for me as well as the topic for my thesis project for my Masters :D I took a really long time in school since I worked and went to junior college first due to the fact that I had no idea what field I wanted to go into :lol:[/QUOTE]
yeah i had to go to juniour college, and all my credits had to transfer to the local university. i started in 1998 i was doing 'other things' to make money instead of a normal job, so i learned that as long as i enrolled in 12 credits (whether they transferred or not), i'd get grant money (and loans). i intentionally took as long as possible, and took all kinds of psychology classes, etc, that were easy & never transferred (though i did genuinely enjoy them).

i still remember getting ready for my US history class on 9-11-2001 (on a tuesday or thursday. i think tuesday) & watching the news as it was happening (though it was way before anyone said bin laden's name. like i had to leave right after the 2nd plane hit). got to school, and the teacher asked the entire class to "PLEASE not assume anything, wait for the facts to come in, do not blame any particular race or religion, even if a majority of one or the other is behind these attacks, and go HOME." there were several middle eastern students in this class. i was good friends with an iraqi student there, and all were just as torn up as everyone else, but people still tried to fight them after class (and none of them knew each other, of course, but these idiots were treating them as if they were). i went home, and only then did i hear who was behind the attacks on the news. very somber, as anyone knows.

i started as a sophomore at University of Texas at Tyler, where i went from 2005 - 2006 (1 & 3/4 semesters). i dropped out in 2006 due to medical problems & the defaulted all my loans & it's a HUGE mess. i got screwed royally, but i can't focus on that foreve. tried for 4 years to get that straightened out, but they wanted me to pay for a semester of university on my own before reinstating me. that would be lovely if it wasn't 10k a semester at the time (just for 4 classes. not a single thing more). i'm still at that point with them (as they haven't actually defaulted my loans yet, but keep threatening, and i've started ignoring the calls since we are going in circles now). i'd be so out of place now. i feel so much like i've forgotten everything since i wasn't using it daily like i would have being in school, etc. oh well, what are you gonna do?

Thanks! It sounds like your academic career has been very complicated, I hope the loan situation works out in a good way for you.

And bump!

more bumps!

So, my Cell culture Techniques lab met for the first time, I think it'll be fun. Lots of lab work, but apparently no formal lab reports, which will be nice since two of my other courses will require such reports.

[quote name='Alaisiagae']more bumps!

So, my Cell culture Techniques lab met for the first time, I think it'll be fun. Lots of lab work, but apparently no formal lab reports, which will be nice since two of my other courses will require such reports.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, no lab reports! I had to not only write up a report for anything I did but I had to make hand drawings of what I had observed :wall: Oh well, I guess as long as you learn the subject it doesn't matter what they make you do:roll:

By the way I finished the Crystal Singer Trilogy and I'm halfway through the Space Pirates book ;) I felt the ending was a bit over the top since her memory was miraculously restored without driving her crazy by touching that junk that could melt metal :lol:

I thought the whole memory loss thing was pretty cool. Like I said, I don't really remember much about the book, but I remember thinking that the memory loss was handled well...?

Yeah, well, the same prof teaches my Cell Bio course, and he seems pretty anal about lab reports, he handed us a 4 page packet that he made detailing exactly how he wants lab reports to be composed. And of course I'll have lab reports and pre-lab problems for Orgo lab.

I don't know how I'm going to get through my long days, where I've only got 15 minutes between classes and 5-10 of those minutes are wasted walking from one end of the campus to the other to get from class to class. I dislike having to cram lunch down my throat, I prefer to savor my sandwiches and eat slowly.

i made sure to stick with the same wonderful teachers (even when one went from my remedial bio class to my A&P lab teacher). we did have to turn in hand drawn pics of observations in some other teachers' classes, but i never had to do a 'report' on a lab class in jc or uni.

best of luck, pal.

Bump!

I had a really cool teacher she just expected a lot of work :lol: On the first day of class we were handed a bound notebook sized instruction manual on how to write our reports and detailed instructions on what was expected for each prelab and lab report, we were also given a short quiz demonstrating that we had read the necessary portions of the book before we were allowed to do the lab. If we didn't pass the quiz we had to sit there and reread the pertinent section in the book and then take the quiz again, luckily I never had to do that;)

I remember O-chem being easier since the pre-lab was only a one page worksheet that let us practice the equations that we were going to be using. If you have a really cool teacher I can send you copies of the handouts for some of the fun experiments that my professor let us do:cool:

bump! Finally some sunshine after 4 days of rain.

I'm still playing Summoner 2. There are several opportunities to give any one of your party members permanent stat bonuses, and I can't decided if I should give them all to one character, or spread them out amongst all the characters. If the former, then that would create one character that would be nearly impossible to kill, but if I do the latter decision I can compensate for various party member's weaknesses by giving them a boost in their weak stat(s).

A guide on gamefaqs suggests giving stat bonuses to one character in particular, citing that doing so makes this character nearly invincible. Other than that, I couldn't find much other advice/info about to whom I should allocate the various available stat bonuses, some of which are quite powerful.

What would you do? Would you follow the gamefaq submitter's advice, or mostly do whatever seems best to you? For the most part, that person's advice has been helpful for me, with regards to skill point allocation - but there are a few suggestions I have come to disagree with, so the advice isn't always 100% spot-on, in my opinion.

[quote name='Alaisiagae']bump! Finally some sunshine after 4 days of rain.

I'm still playing Summoner 2. There are several opportunities to give any one of your party members permanent stat bonuses, and I can't decided if I should give them all to one character, or spread them out amongst all the characters. If the former, then that would create one character that would be nearly impossible to kill, but if I do the latter decision I can compensate for various party member's weaknesses by giving them a boost in their weak stat(s).

A guide on gamefaqs suggests giving stat bonuses to one character in particular, citing that doing so makes this character nearly invincible. Other than that, I couldn't find much other advice/info about to whom I should allocate the various available stat bonuses, some of which are quite powerful.

What would you do? Would you follow the gamefaq submitter's advice, or mostly do whatever seems best to you? For the most part, that person's advice has been helpful for me, with regards to skill point allocation - but there are a few suggestions I have come to disagree with, so the advice isn't always 100% spot-on, in my opinion.[/QUOTE]
i'd prefer to spread them around, myself. if you have a game with a team where 1 person is indestructable, that'd kill the challenge for me. i certainly don't think the devs would have made it so hard that that's the only way to advance, so i'm always about the entire party when i play rpgs that have tham.

bump!

Thanks for the advice, I was leaning in that direction, too. Besides, the party can only have 3 characters (out of 7 available). And usually you have to take the main protagonist along, too (not that I mind). I like variety, so I often mix up my two other party members a lot to give all of my characters equal XP exposure. So, distributing the stat bonuses to all available characters is an appealing strategy.

I didn't realize it until reading your posts but that PC game I've been playing is an RPG :lol: I've been leveling up my characters weapons and gear so that I can get the next level weaponry, I actually started a Guild Hall just so my friends and I can have private chat without remembering screen names ;)

more bumps

edit: I'm debating whether or not to try to sell my extra copy of the Morrowind Collector's Edition. On the one hand: big bucks! On the other hand: what if something happens to my first copy and I need a back up?

i'd keep the extra CE, unless you need the money badly.

it sucks that i got undead knights for free on psp when they accidentally put it up as the demo for the first 30 minutes or so. after they did an update to try & lock out the people from playing it, that got the demo version, you just had to pass the 1st stage w/o saving, then it worked perfect. i checked when i got a new 8gb mem card (before i sold my psp), and in my previous downloads, it shows the full version. i went to the place where you'd buy it, and showed i already owned it. redownloaded, and i could save on the first level & all.

that was the first freebee i had ever gotten in on. i had set it to download before i went to work, but always left everything off while i worked, so i turned the system off. when i got home & read they pulled it from psn, i was so mad. i then remembered to look at my unfinished downloads, and it was there waiting. i got to download the whole thing (it was obvious it was the full game at like 400+ mb). i was so surprised it was still on the servers.

i don't have a psp anymore, but it's tied to my current profile (and it's digital, of course) where i keep money on my account. otherwise, i'd gameshare it with you so someone could get some use out of it. i liked it okay for a portable game. only used one of the characters & never beat it though. could have gotten alot better, but it was a fanyastic game for free :lol:.

bread's done
Back