Halo 3 - General Discussion & Info

[quote name='LinkinPrime']
How long did it take you to break over the 35-40 mark?[/quote]

I'm not sure of when I got it at this point, but from what I remember, getting past that range was actually really easy, after that things get impossible.

Although I played the hell out of Halo 2 I didn't really get into 3 when it came out for some reason. However since the Heroic pack went free I've been playing a bunch. My top level is 21, not too shabby for a few weeks play considering I've also ranked up in multiple modes.

Here's my service record(is there a way to view your individual mode stats, aka Lone Wolves, etc?):
Total EXP: 147 out of 248 matches

Lone Wolves: 14(?)
Team Slayer: 20(?)
Team Doubles: 21

I love team doubles. Count me as one that enjoys MLG as well. I never could get the hang of the BR in Halo 2 but I'm preferring it more and more in H3.

[quote name='help1']I'm not sure of when I got it at this point, but from what I remember, getting past that range was actually really easy, after that things get impossible.[/QUOTE]

Id say 45 is that point for me at least when playing with random people. I can usually go positive and carry the team USUALLY. Then it gets hellish without knowing how your teammates play.

Anyone who isn't getting these new maps want to play sometime (tonight)? I haven't played in a while and would like to get into some games with other CAGs. My highest skill is 21.

Here's a couple of impressions for those on the fence.

Blackout is Lockout. It's a pretty good remake. There's some slight things that bother me about it, but I think it and Avalanche are better than any of the other H3 maps. They made it a lot bigger. Rooms are bigger and staircases are wider. They turned a bunch of the ramps into staircases.

Avalanche is definitely not Sidewinder. It's inspired at best. They took out the whole teleport path along the edge of the mountain on the outside ridge. Too many man cannons. They changed too much on the map, I wanted Sidewinder. I do like the map though. Plus, weren't the vehicles supposed to be snow-ified? WTF?

Ghost Town I only got to play once. It was okay, nothing special. Looked nice visually.

Unless you love you some Lockout, which I'm sure a bunch of people do, you can probably pass on the map pack. 10 bucks for two good maps is kind of steep.

After playing for a bit....these maps are the best 3 in the game. Avalaunch on CTF is amazing

The vehicles are "snowified" and avalaunch is definitely sidewinder. They originally had that tunnel you're missing, but took it out during development because no one used it.

Overall I feel that Avalaunch>Ghost Town>Lockout. Ghost Town is a great original map while Blackout is great (because it's lockout), but it has no changes whatsoever so it doesn't feel fresh. Avalaunch on the other hand, got some nice additions to certain areas.

[quote name='Trakan']Here's a couple of impressions for those on the fence.

Avalanche is definitely not Sidewinder. It's inspired at best. They took out the whole teleport path along the edge of the mountain on the outside ridge. Too many man cannons. They changed too much on the map, I wanted Sidewinder. I do like the map though. Plus, weren't the vehicles supposed to be snow-ified? WTF?

Unless you love you some Lockout, which I'm sure a bunch of people do, you can probably pass on the map pack. 10 bucks for two good maps is kind of steep.[/QUOTE]

The human vehicles are. covenant aren't

[quote name='zewone']Going from level 44-45 felt like it took as long as 1-44.[/QUOTE]

That depends on how many games it took you to get to 44

Right, there's no predetermined way to level up.

It'll be different for everyone.

1206406567075.gif

[quote name='zewone']Going from level 44-45 felt like it took as long as 1-44.[/QUOTE]

once your in the 40's+ it does take forever, win 5 games in a row, no level up, lose 1-2 in a row and you level down, win a couple and you're back at square 1

unlike COD4 where you level up regardless, also Halo 3 takes more skill (COD4 fans may disagree)

[quote name='greyzieoriental']
unlike COD4 where you level up regardless, also Halo 3 takes more skill (COD4 fans may disagree)[/quote]

I think COD 4 players realize that rank in that game doesn't matter at all, since it can just be attained by playing A LOT.

Ya I'm currently stuck at 45 and each level up from like 43 felt super long...cause it was lol. And ya in CoD4 I mean...its pretty fun but Halo just keeps the fun factor for a longer period of time. Every game just feels a little different each time which I don't really experience in CoD4(same snipe spots, and I take the same route every time). I mean yesterday I played a few Halo games. First one in team doubles my partner left before the game began and I won the game solo 8-7, then I played a team slayer game and surprisingly we all jumped on hogs, 2 driving, 2 gunning on standoff and circled there base, when they finally left cause it was such a beating. Then I played ranked big team and got booted for accidentally betraying someone after I had waited 15minutes just to get in a game!

I actually looked at my friends list and noticed most people there started getting bored of CoD at around the 2 day mark, and now I see them ALL playing Halo 3 way more. CoD is still fairly fun to play, but I just don't see the addicition in the levelling system. It reminds me more of an MMORPG type levelling system (i.e. the more time you spend the higher level you get and the more weapons you obtain).

Trakan, I was looking at your stats the other night and I gotta say, I'm very impressed, you have a KD of 2.XX...do you have any tips on how to kick ass?

[quote name='help1']I think COD 4 players realize that rank in that game doesn't matter at all, since it can just be attained by playing A LOT.[/QUOTE]

Yep. That's the one flaw of CoD4 as it make the matchmaking useless for the most part.

I have less fun now that I've put in more time as I've got up to level 40 something, but I still suck so I get my ass handed to me much more now. :lol:

I'd much rather have a skill based system and just stay in the low levels where I belong!

So Halo is better in that regard, but I have a hard time getting into it as I don't like FPS games with all the jumping around, vehicles and most of all having to shoot someone so many times to kill them with most weapons because of the overshields etc. Gets old, and since my aim sucks (really just got into FPS a little last gen and a lot this gen--this gen my first time playing them online) it puts me at a huge disadvantage.

I really enjoy the new maps. Ghost Town is interesting and different with it's multiple stories and cleverly placed rubble. Avalanche is one of the best large maps I've played and is welcomed to the Halo 3 map repertoire. Blackout is Lockout with a few subtle tweaks. All they need to do is make the MLG playlist require them and I'll be very happy.

I love the new maps, though I haven't played Avalanche since I don't really play big team battles or team objective.

I gotta say I do feel a little cheated from buying them since you can only play in the DLC Slayer or DLC Objective social modes. I mean, why exclude the paying customer from paying ranked games...just doesn't make sense.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I love the new maps, though I haven't played Avalanche since I don't really play big team battles or team objective.

I gotta say I do feel a little cheated from buying them since you can only play in the DLC Slayer or DLC Objective social modes. I mean, why exclude the paying customer from paying ranked games...just doesn't make sense.[/quote]

They are in ranked matchmaking, its just that everyone in the matchmade needs the maps. It is a setup that is much better than what was in Halo 2.

[quote name='help1']They are in ranked matchmaking, its just that everyone in the matchmade needs the maps. It is a setup that is much better than what was in Halo 2.[/quote]

So every know and then I should get matched up with other users that have the new maps?

Anyone looking to get Recon armor might want to try this out:

Mr. Sark has a new challenge for all you Spartans: The Sarkathlon 2!
As an added bonus for this challenge, Mr. Sark has a special reward for the champion - a suit of Halo 3 Recon Armor!
The Sarkathlon 2 is second of Mr. Sark's epic Halo 3 challenges where players will have their skills and wits tested on one of the new Legendary Halo 3 maps. The contest offically begins this Thursday, April 17th and runs until May 2nd. The winner will be announced on Friday, May 2nd on the final night of X-Play's Summer Games Preview.

What's in store for our champion, you ask? Well, the winner will receive a set of the highly coveted Recon Armor, only available to those that the Bungie designers deem especially worthy. Any Spartan worth his weight knows what an honor this would be.

Mr. Sark will be back on Thursday to provide more details about The Sarkathlon 2! Be sure to watch X-Play on Thursday, April 17th @ 8PM ET for more!
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/page2.html#684585

[quote name='LinkinPrime']So every know and then I should get matched up with other users that have the new maps?[/quote]

Yup. Thats how it worked with the heroic mappack as well, so the more people who buy, the better.

[quote name='help1']Yup. Thats how it worked with the heroic mappack as well, so the more people who buy, the better.[/quote]

Ah well then, that doesn't sound bad at all. I bet this will not happen as often as I hope but good to know it does happen.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Ah well then, that doesn't sound bad at all. I bet this will not happen as often as I hope but good to know it does happen.[/quote]

Yea, wit hthe Heroic Map Pack it didn't happen much, but with the Legendary Map Pack being so much better (and having Lockout), hopefully more people will buy this one.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Ah well then, that doesn't sound bad at all. I bet this will not happen as often as I hope but good to know it does happen.[/quote]

I never once encountered the Heroic Maps in Team Slayer until they were made free to download. Not once. Ever.

[quote name='JC Monkeyballs']I never once encountered the Heroic Maps in Team Slayer until they were made free to download. Not once. Ever.[/QUOTE]

ditto. and thats a majority of the reason of what's keeping me away from buying the legendary pack.

[quote name='JC Monkeyballs']I never once encountered the Heroic Maps in Team Slayer until they were made free to download. Not once. Ever.[/QUOTE]

Jeeze. That's shitty.

$10 for two maps I want to play is too much.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Trakan, I was looking at your stats the other night and I gotta say, I'm very impressed, you have a KD of 2.XX...do you have any tips on how to kick ass?[/quote]

Heh, thanks. I've always been decent at Halo games.

First off, you're looking at my Social K/D ratio. It's kind of skewed. Nobody in social games are really that good, especially when you're playing with your team. I only really played with CAGtac, so when you have people that are good at the game and that can have your back you tend to do better as well. Every chance we got to prolong the game and just rack up kills, we'd do it.

Ranked games I'm at like 1.75, but I don't feel that's accurate. When I was trying to get to level 50 in Lone Wolves I had to die a bunch of stupid deaths for games like oddball and king of the hill. I think it should be at least 2.0.

Anyways, I don't really no how to give advice on how to be better at Halo. I myself always try to make sure I have a BR. I try to control the power weapons on the map. I try to kill as many enemies as possible from as far away as I can. Always make sure you play with people who know how to play the game. With good teammates, you'll do better yourself.

[quote name='Trakan']Heh, thanks. I've always been decent at Halo games.

First off, you're looking at my Social K/D ratio. It's kind of skewed. Nobody in social games are really that good, especially when you're playing with your team. I only really played with CAGtac, so when you have people that are good at the game and that can have your back you tend to do better as well. Every chance we got to prolong the game and just rack up kills, we'd do it.

Ranked games I'm at like 1.75, but I don't feel that's accurate. When I was trying to get to level 50 in Lone Wolves I had to die a bunch of stupid deaths for games like oddball and king of the hill. I think it should be at least 2.0.

Anyways, I don't really no how to give advice on how to be better at Halo. I myself always try to make sure I have a BR. I try to control the power weapons on the map. I try to kill as many enemies as possible from as far away as I can. Always make sure you play with people who know how to play the game. With good teammates, you'll do better yourself.[/quote]

So as far as controlling the stronger weapons...do you go after the player that has lets say the shotgun, or do you try to avoid him and just go after everyone else until the shotguy respawns or you happen to come across it?

I tend to attack the guy with the power weapon and I'm realizing that it might be my downfall since I end up getting killed which in turn pisses me off and I tend to go back for revenge and sometimes end up getting killed a few more times.

Also with BR, is it always better to aim for the head?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']So as far as controlling the stronger weapons...do you go after the player that has lets say the shotgun, or do you try to avoid him and just go after everyone else until the shotguy respawns or you happen to come across it?

I tend to attack the guy with the power weapon and I'm realizing that it might be my downfall since I end up getting killed which in turn pisses me off and I tend to go back for revenge and sometimes end up getting killed a few more times.

Also with BR, is it always better to aim for the head?[/quote]

I try to always make sure I'm the one using them. :lol:

Seriously though, I go after the guy who has the gun I want. I go after the guy who's going to fuck up my team with that gun. I very rarely wait for a gun to respawn. I'll try whatever I can to get the gun away from the enemy from as far away as possible. Nades are your best friend.

Always aim for the head. Aim for the chest with the shotty/mauler.

Also, I didn't know this for a while, but zoo noticed that when you have your reticle on the enemy's head, a small dot will appear in the middle of the reticle. It's one way to know when you're shooting at the head. It appears with the BR/Human snipes at least.

[quote name='Trakan']I try to always make sure I'm the one using them. :lol:

Seriously though, I go after the guy who has the gun I want. I go after the guy who's going to fuck up my team with that gun. I very rarely wait for a gun to respawn. I'll try whatever I can to get the gun away from the enemy from as far away as possible. Nades are your best friend.

Always aim for the head. Aim for the chest with the shotty/mauler.

Also, I didn't know this for a while, but zoo noticed that when you have your reticle on the enemy's head, a small dot will appear in the middle of the reticle. It's one way to know when you're shooting at the head. It appears with the BR/Human snipes at least.[/QUOTE]

You fools need to start playing the MLG playlist. It's gotten me off of COD4.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']You fools need to start playing the MLG playlist. It's gotten me off of COD4.[/quote]

I'm trying to get back into Halo. Played a few games of H2 today again. I'd rather play that, but I'll play either one.

I really despise the AR as a spawn weapon, so if I'm playing H3, I'll want to play the MLG playlist or the DLC playlist.

[quote name='Trakan']I'm trying to get back into Halo. Played a few games of H2 today again. I'd rather play that, but I'll play either one.

I really despise the AR as a spawn weapon, so if I'm playing H3, I'll want to play the MLG playlist or the DLC playlist.[/QUOTE]

I'm on now if you're down. Trust me, the MLG settings makes the game way more fun.

Tips:

1. If you have a short range weapon run towards them if you have a long range dont let them get close. I hate seeing people with BR get killed because they ran into the guy with a shoty.

2. Sometimes it doesnt make since to chase a low health enemy, i tend to throw grenades behind me if someone is chasing me when i am low. Most of the times i die but sometimes i am lucky and they run right over my sticky.

3. I hate when someone goes for the no scope on an enemy that only needs one shot and then gets killed instead of just switching to your alt weapon and killing them.

4. In BR start games use gernades first to blow sheilds off then head shot for the quick kill.

5. Good players dont get caught in open areas, try and stay to the side of big maps like Valhala and High Ground, you can look at heat maps from generals to learn stuff like that.

Thats all i have time for now

Tried MLG again...freaking sucks. Played for a long time too and it IS such a joke. First of all I experienced way more lag there and at one point some guy holding the oddball came from what appeared to me as across the map only to bash me. Also I played a king of the hill map and the hill remained at one position soooo long it was just pathetic (plus the marker for king of the hill appeared as if the hill was underground). Another thing is that everyone starts at BRs which all the time and it seems even more noob since you can just own everyone and don't have to worry about other weapons. It simplifies and bugs up the game way too much

[quote name='JC Monkeyballs']I never once encountered the Heroic Maps in Team Slayer until they were made free to download. Not once. Ever.[/quote]

Did anyone on your team not have the maps?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']So as far as controlling the stronger weapons...do you go after the player that has lets say the shotgun, or do you try to avoid him and just go after everyone else until the shotguy respawns or you happen to come across it?

Also with BR, is it always better to aim for the head?[/quote]

In my opinion, aiming for the body and then aiming for the head after a couple body shots is good too. This is because 3 body shots and 1 headshot kill just as fast as 4 headshots and your reaction time from inicially seeing the opponent and aiming for the head and shooting might be slower than him just aiming for the body because there is a higher chance of missing. Plus if the opponent jumps around a lot (

[quote name='Spades22']Tried MLG again...freaking sucks. Played for a long time too and it IS such a joke. First of all I experienced way more lag there and at one point some guy holding the oddball came from what appeared to me as across the map only to bash me. Also I played a king of the hill map and the hill remained at one position soooo long it was just pathetic (plus the marker for king of the hill appeared as if the hill was underground). Another thing is that everyone starts at BRs which all the time and it seems even more noob since you can just own everyone and don't have to worry about other weapons. It simplifies and bugs up the game way too much[/quote]

MLG gametype does not make the game more laggy lol

Own everyone and not worry about other weapons? So Br beats rockets and sniper? lol. You think Br beats mauler close range? Also, you can't just "own everyone". If someone is better than you they will kill you.

BR also encourages teamwork because you can help your team mates in fights more. So many situations with an AR start I see my teammate fighting some other guy and I can't do anything about it because ARs range is so shitty.

BR start > Assault rifle start.

I need to stop playing Team slayer and check MLG out. I prefer BR starts anyways even though my stats say otherwise. Also is their still random sniper games in MLG?

[quote name='RPG1018']I need to stop playing Team slayer and check MLG out. I prefer BR starts anyways even though my stats say otherwise. Also is their still random sniper games in MLG?[/quote]

There are no sniper games in MLG. Thankfully.

bread's done
Back