Halo 3 - General Discussion & Info

[quote name='Corvin']I think all three packs are on par with each other. 2 great maps and 1 mediocre one. In my opinion, the mediocre ones being Rat's Nest (Heroic), Avalanche (Legendary), and I'm leaning towards Orbital (Mythic) being the weak link in this pack. (Yes, I enjoy Blackout, despite the minor nuanced differences).

More than anything, I just want to see a Foundation remake.[/quote]

I think the weak links on the base maps are as follows:

Foundry (As a standard map with no changes, it's pretty terrible)
Avalanche (It's too big. Almost no one goes to the upper part of the map)
Assembly (It's too small)

As for extra curricular map play, I think Orbital will get a lot of use out of CTF and Zombie maps. I can't think of anything for Assembly, though.

[quote name='KingBroly']You don't undercharge for what is perceived to be a AAA title that will sell millions of copies in the first few days.

Also expect to see an $100+ Legendary Edition with an Elite helmet.[/quote]
LOL, that's scary to think about...but I can see something very close to this coming true.

BTW, do we know when the remaining 3 maps for Mythic are coming out? I mean I thought the Mythic pack was coming out with all 6...but it looks like it will be $10 for 3 maps now...and $10 for 3 maps later.

The remaining 3 are coming with ODST. I think it's exclusively, too.

If Halo 3: ODST gets a Legendary edition, it'll be dubbed the Dog Helmet

ooh let's talk maps and why they suck!

CORE
-----
Construct - I hate this map. The elevator camping, hallway swording and more just suck totally. D
Epitaph - Okay but kinda boring. The hallways are just crazy killzones. C
Guardian - The best map ever. So balanced. So perfect. A+
High Ground - I like the push to break into the base. Good times. B
Isolation - It's okay I guess. It can be really hit or miss and the ghost is mad powerful. B-
Last Resort - One of my fav's, Bungie did an excellent job for many game types. A
Narrows - Sniper-fest on this map. Frustrating at high level play. C+
Sandtrap - THE map for Big Team Battle. Really great for infection too. B+
Snowbound - Shotty in the caves is nearly invincible downlow. Ghost up-top. C
The Pit - A near perfect slayer map for teams. Fantastic. A
Valhalla - Solid BTB or CTF map except variants that have the Banshee. A-

HEROIC
------
Foundry - The first forger's map. The potential is limitless. A
Rat's Nest - Turns into Mario Kart pretty fast. Bad spawn placement. C-
Standoff - Great team slayer/ctf map. B+

LEGENDARY
-------
Avalanche - Only good for CTF which forces use of whole map. Pelican is ridiculous. C+
Blackout - Too many twists and turns and odd weapon placement. C
Ghost Town - Ruthless sniper points. Otherwise average. C

Bungie Day
------
Cold Storage - Nothing particularly great. Nothing particularly awful. C

MYTHIC (Don't have)
-------
Assembly
Orbital
Sandbox

ODST
-------
Citadel
Heretic
Longshore

I feel some of the core maps and the heroic maps (basically all the free content) are actually H3's strong suit. Legendary was pretty disappointing overall. I kinda regret purchasing it, but what are ya gonna do?

I'll hold off on Mythic now that I realize I have buyer's remorse about Legendary.

Oh and any CAGs that are looking to join the largest and most storied Halo community out there, let me know. Over 30,000 people have signed up for XGC and we're always happy to have more. Skill doesn't matter, just a friendly attitude and a love of games.

FYI, the Came… From… Behind [On a Legendary map, get 3 assassinations during any ranked or social match.] Achievement appears to be somewhat glitched. I was playing the Social DLC list and not really going for this one, but after tallying 3 assassinations total over several matches the achievement unlocked. :bouncy: Might be common knowledge, but I didn't know about that trick.

[quote name='KingBroly']I still need Alas, Poor Yorick :( never gonna get that one.[/QUOTE]

Man, you should've played the Double XP weekends when they had 3-ball. I was pissed cause I was trying the entire week before that one came out to get it, finally got it on Wednesday, then late Thursday night that playlist came and it would've been a breeze in there...

Yeah, I got it on a 3-ball weekend. Wait for the next one. Although by the time it rolls around again it will probably be with Mythic maps...

Oh wait, the achievement is good on either a Legendary or a Mythic map, so you'll be good on the next 3-ball weekend. (Whenever that happens.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a heads up...you can get the mythic zombie achievements in the rumble pit playlist if everyone in your party has the Mythic Maps.

The achievements that say to do them on a Legendary map can also be done on Mythic maps. Not sure if it's a glitch or intentional, but it's possible.

I wasn't too excited about Team Melee (2XP weekend list) but since it's a 3 team list the top 2 teams both get EXP, which spices things up. When you come up in that 3rd slot, it really sucks. :lol:

[quote name='wubb']I wasn't too excited about Team Melee (2XP weekend list) but since it's a 3 team list the top 2 teams both get EXP, which spices things up. When you come up in that 3rd slot, it really sucks. :lol:[/quote]

I love Team Melee when it is Swords or Punch-Out. I hate the Hammers though. People just swing indiscriminately and team kill (accidentally) too much.

On that note, a hammer-free Grifball would be nice.

Hey guys, anyone up for some Halo 3 legendary? I really want the meta and I need the skulls. I'd appreciate if anyone is up for that. Send me a friend request today and let me know! :)

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']ooh let's talk maps and why they suck!

CORE
-----
Construct - I hate this map. The elevator camping, hallway swording and more just suck totally. D
-One of my favorite maps in Halo 3. Swords are easily taken out with long range BR, and campers near elevator easily get killed by grenades. A-
Kinda neutral on this map. Works best for swords. C
Eh, don't like this map because this map is a camper's wet dream. Has lots of spots to camp on random ledges and in wall corners (LAME) C+
Somewhat annoying to play on snipers when you are stuck at the beach. Shows up in matchmaking way too much. C
Isolation - It's okay I guess. It can be really hit or miss and the ghost is mad powerful. B-
Looks and plays like the butthole "Cortana", enough said. D
Last Resort - One of my fav's, Bungie did an excellent job for many game types. A
Remake of one of the best maps from Halo 2. A-
Relatively well balance map, terrible on SWAT because of across the map spawn killing though.
Excellent map for BTB, but too large for anything less. B-
Easily the best medium sized map in Halo 3. A
Awesome blood gulch inspired remake with improvements that make it not as open as the original blood gulch.

HEROIC
------
Grifball. B+
Sucks, the Mario Kart analogy above is just about correct. D+
Like a smaller blood gulch. No snipers keeps it fun. A-

LEGENDARY
-------
Avalanche - Only good for CTF which forces use of whole map. Pelican is ridiculous. C+
Excellent map for just about any gametype. Remake of sidewinder with some great improvements. A
Blackout - Too many twists and turns and odd weapon placement. C
Exactly the same as Lockout from Halo 2. Great map, and exactly what millions of Halo fans were begging for. A-
Ghost Town - Ruthless sniper points. Otherwise average. C
Good map, well balanced. Lots of ways to avoid sniper fire. B

Bungie Day
------
Cold Storage - Nothing particularly great. Nothing particularly awful. C
Remake of Chill Out from Halo 1, fun map, but doesn't come up in matchmaking nearly enough. B-

MYTHIC (Don't have)
-------
Assembly
Haven't played enough of this yet, but I feel that this map is the worst of the map pack.
Orbital
Once again, haven't played enough, but map seems for suited to CTF instead of Slayer. Reminds me of a UT2004 level.
Sandbox
Limitless possibilities (see the 99% accurate foundation remake).

ODST
-------
Citadel
Heretic
Longshore

[/quote]
See above.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']ooh let's talk maps and why they suck!

CORE
-----
Game becomes repetitive due to the same hallways and lifts. C
No point in leaving the main hallway, only fun with swords. D
Well made, but could be smaller. B
Best map in social; great variety of veichiles and weapons, not to mention the well balanced bases. B+
One person takes a sniper, one takes a ghost. That's about it. D
A lot of fun, but a didn't enjoy having a lazer and a sniper in the same close space (the two turrents rarely effect the gameplay) B+
Not much to do in this map except fool around with the man cannons. C+
If only people would stop vetoing it... Great map, and all the variety in such a wide space (even more in the heavy version) make it challenging, but a lot of fun. A
Another good map for social, not so much for anything else. The caves prove to be fun, and the laser and needlers help. B-
The turrent locations, energy sword room, and the weapons on the ground make this a great experience, epecially with friends. A little too much open space in the middle, though. A-
Well made, classic halo map. Banshees competing, race for the laser, and missle pod users in the background make this map truly amazing. The heavy version adds chaos, but with it, fun. A+

HEROIC
------
The tiny closed area filled with giant boxes just doesn't appeal to me. Forge mode is amazing here, but that's about it. C
I seem to prefer this in capture the flag; the veichiles racing for each other, and players with heavy weapons down the middle. Used too often in slayer. B+
The space between bases in a overshot, but the "secret" entrences and positions of weapons and veichiles adds a lot of fun to the game. B+
[/quote]

And there's my review of the maps I currently own, exluding cold storage.

CORE
-----
Construct C
Epitaph B-
Guardian B
High Ground B
Isolation D+
Last Resort B+
Narrows C+
Sandtrap A-
The Pit A
Valhalla B+

HEROIC
------
Foundry A-
Rat's Nest B-
Standoff B

LEGENDARY
-------
Avalanche A
Blackout A
Ghost Town B+

Bungie Day
------
Cold Storage A-

MYTHIC
-------
Assembly A-

Orbital A-

Sandbox A+

"One of my favorite maps in Halo 3. Swords are easily taken out with long range BR, and campers near elevator easily get killed by grenades."

No. Swords are in tight hallways with blind turns. Unless they are stupid they are just gonna duck and camp a blind turn and insta-kill anyone that walks by. It is retardedly easy to wind up +10 or more with the sword. Especially if they don't stray too far from a lift and shank you coming out of the elevator.

Grenades do nothing to stop the camping because everyone knows that trick. They just hang a little back and the nades don't hit them at all, but they are in great position to spray you down as you come shooting out at an unchangeable angle. This isn't such a massive issue in Lone Wolves as it is in Team Slayer. When one team is holding down the top floor well it is really, really difficult to win it back. The flamethrower helps clear the purple elevators since even though they'll kill you, they can't put out the flames and they will die too.

Finally got the DFTG achievement. Two kills away from winning, I throw a nade just before I die and bam it blows up two people.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']"One of my favorite maps in Halo 3. Swords are easily taken out with long range BR, and campers near elevator easily get killed by grenades."

No. Swords are in tight hallways with blind turns. Unless they are stupid they are just gonna duck and camp a blind turn and insta-kill anyone that walks by. It is retardedly easy to wind up +10 or more with the sword. Especially if they don't stray too far from a lift and shank you coming out of the elevator.

Grenades do nothing to stop the camping because everyone knows that trick. They just hang a little back and the nades don't hit them at all, but they are in great position to spray you down as you come shooting out at an unchangeable angle. This isn't such a massive issue in Lone Wolves as it is in Team Slayer. When one team is holding down the top floor well it is really, really difficult to win it back. The flamethrower helps clear the purple elevators since even though they'll kill you, they can't put out the flames and they will die too.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say it's necessarily a problem with the map, but I completely agree. I'm usually playing with all randoms for teammates and guaranteed at least one of them will gleefully keep jumping up the lifts after every respawn feeding the other team kills. I'll sometimes say "Hey, don't jump up the yellow lift." But the guys who blindly jump up lifts tend to not work together well anyway. When you are on the team controlling top, this makes for good times.

And yeah, nading the lifts rarely works in my experience.

Given that H3's scoreboard doesn't factor K/D spread at all, it incentives getting 15 kills and 23 deaths vs 8 kills and 3 deaths for the players who just look at the main final tally and don't care about team wins. So that's probably part of why some players just keep jumping up the lifts.

I wish they'd rework the main scoreboard:
Slayer style with more than 2 teams (Lone Wolves/Multi-Team/etc)- Same (kills)
Slayer style with 2 teams (Team Slayer/Team Swat/etc) - K/D Spread. Show the kills in a 2nd column so you can see how the team totals to 50, but order players by spread.
Objective lists - Same (points)

Question for everyone. My brother seems to have unfortunate luck in getting in a team match (usually team slayer) where as soon as the team starts losing , basically everyone quits except him. In a case where the match ends up coming down to him vs. everyone else , is it better off to eat the XP loss and quit too , or just keep fighting and make the other team work for the kills?

He's not that concerned about his K/D ratio , although he does care somewhat about his XP. I just usually feel bad watching him when it becomes like 1 vs 4, 5 or 6 guys.

You lose EXP if you quit. Not if you lose. If he cares about EXP or rank, keep playing. If he just wants to play, quit.

There's been some really good custom forged maps and halo 1/2 remakes that should be rotated throughout the playlists.
I don't know why bungie just doesn't have a community playlist or something where the best maps are fixed up a little by bungie staff so it's legit and then put them on the playlists. It's better than half the garbage on there, especially smashed.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Question for everyone. My brother seems to have unfortunate luck in getting in a team match (usually team slayer) where as soon as the team starts losing , basically everyone quits except him. In a case where the match ends up coming down to him vs. everyone else , is it better off to eat the XP loss and quit too , or just keep fighting and make the other team work for the kills?

He's not that concerned about his K/D ratio , although he does care somewhat about his XP. I just usually feel bad watching him when it becomes like 1 vs 4, 5 or 6 guys.[/QUOTE]

If he's not having fun getting has ass handed to him when it becomes lopsided, just quit out.

If he still has fun with the challenge, even though he probably typically gets worked, may as well play it out. Losing 1 XP isn't much of a penalty vs. slogging through 5+ minutes of misery.

[quote name='Sparta Omni']You lose EXP if you quit. Not if you lose. If he cares about EXP or rank, keep playing. If he just wants to play, quit.[/quote]

[quote name='wubb']If he's not having fun getting has ass handed to him when it becomes lopsided, just quit out.

If he still has fun with the challenge, even though he probably typically gets worked, may as well play it out. Losing 1 XP isn't much of a penalty vs. slogging through 5+ minutes of misery.[/quote]

That's pretty much what I was expecting.

On that note , one of my most memorable victories was in a similar situation. Team Slayer on High Ground , 3 of my teammates quit , leaving it just me and one other guy. For first couple minutes we were getting murdered , then it seemed like they started holding back , probably figuring they had the match won. Then one of the guys came at me with a ghost and I managed to jack it. I spent the reminder of the match running over everyone and gunning everyone else with the ghost. Nobody on the other team was able to stop me. Match ended from time , 30-40 something for me and my partner , 20-30 something for them.:D

playing with random douches on h3 is basically little to no fun. i suggest joining some sort of active halo community so you'll have friendly and skilled people to play with/against.

i joined xiledgaming for that very reason and haven't regretted it. they have an under 18 division and an over 18 division. i like the older division because there's a lot of 30-40 year olds that don't make me feel too old to play h3.

Lots of lists adding Mythic as optional with the May update (and one or two making it required) and a lot of lists will switch over to requiring Mythic with the June update.

All of the 2XP weekends in May will require it except one weekend of grifball. But this weekend's list does not. This weekend is in May, but they start the 2XP on Thursday so I guess they stuck with keeping it optional one last time.

I'll probably pick them up today just to play around with map variants and in forge before they start getting rolled into MMing more heavily.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BWU042409
May Matchmaking Update

As we alluded to earlier, we've also got some of our own changes cooked up for May. More Mythic is being added, both required and optional, so make sure you pay close attention to the fine print if you find yourself sans the Mythic Map Pack. Here's the list of upcoming changes for next month:

General
Heavy Maps – The Heavy Map variants have all been tweaked. Power weapons have longer timers, and in some instances do not respawn. Spawn timers on Gauss hogs in Standoff Heavy are increased as well.
Community Variants – Two new community objective map variants have been added to Matchmaking. Punishment by DEATHPIMP72 and Utah Mambo by Cosmic Rick. These maps will appear in Team Objective and Team Mythic.

Ranked
Team Doubles – Mythic is now REQUIRED
Team Slayer – Mythic maps added (optional)*
Team Objective – Successfully vetoing will now guarantee a CTF variant (1 flag, 1 flag BRs, 2 Flag, 2 Flag BRs). Legendary is now required. Mythic Maps added (optional)*

Social
Multi Team – Mythic maps added (optional)*
Social Big Team – Mythic maps added (optional)*

Hardcore
Team SWAT – Mythic is now REQUIRED

Mythic
Team Mythic – SWAT removed from Team Mythic lineup. 1 Flag and 1 Bomb added.

7 on the 7th
7 Player FFA on Assembly

Double EXP Weekends (In Order of Appearance)
Mythic Brawl – 12 player FFA on classic, Heroic, Legendary, and Mythic maps. Heroic/Legendary/Mythic required.
Grifball
Team Control – A playlist about territories and shooting people for control of said territories. Heroic/Legendary/Mythic required.
Living Dead – Social, with maximum party size of 13. Heroic/Legendary/Mythic required.

*As mentioned before the April update was released, playlists that are Mythic-optional one month will be Mythic-required the following month. The playlists listed as Mythic-optional (and marked with an asterisk) above will require Mythic in June.

Update sounds good. They needed a lot more balancing, so I hope they continue. I am happy mythic is spreading as well. They needed some more custom maps as well, and again, I'm happy to see that they are slowly growing.

The one thing that will suck is when Multiteam starts requiring Mythic. I'll have them, but I'm sure many of the people on my FL won't. OTOH it'll be nice to actually play mythic maps on that list. :shrug:

I just played a few matches on the mythic maps yesterday, but they all seem pretty fun at first blush. Orbital looked like a confusing mess when I ran around it on forge, but in a real match it was fine.

I think I jumped from the upper ledge in Orbital and fell into the kill hole two times in that first set of matches. Gotta learn the maps. :lol:

I played the two new maps, not bad. Better than that cubed and plurality crap. :S

I'm trying to get my 45-50. I'm 44 right now and can't seem to get a good team together.

Bungie should add in the Mythic Grifball map variations for the Grifball weekend.

Like:
80% Standard Court (Current one in use for Grifball League)
8% Aerial Grifball
5% Grifball Palace
2% Mayan Grifball (It's not a great map, but it's amusing none-the-less)

Would make it a little more interesting and change things up.

Got two questions:

1. Is there a limit to how many match replays you can save? Maybe I'm just not observant enough , but it seems like it only keeps the last 3 replays.

2. Anyone here play or interested in playing various custom match games with other cags? Going through the Bungie.net website I found some interesting custom gametypes and maps through file shares.

I play a lot of custom games with my friends and I've worked a lot in Forge finally making my first map pack. One of my maps is designed for 3v3 or 4v4 and I can never get enough people together to seriously stress-test it.

[quote name='wubb']The one thing that will suck is when Multiteam starts requiring Mythic. I'll have them, but I'm sure many of the people on my FL won't. OTOH it'll be nice to actually play mythic maps on that list. :shrug:

I just played a few matches on the mythic maps yesterday, but they all seem pretty fun at first blush. Orbital looked like a confusing mess when I ran around it on forge, but in a real match it was fine.

I think I jumped from the upper ledge in Orbital and fell into the kill hole two times in that first set of matches. Gotta learn the maps. :lol:[/quote]

Aren't they going to require all DLC maps to play ranked in like 2 weeks?

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']I play a lot of custom games with my friends and I've worked a lot in Forge finally making my first map pack. One of my maps is designed for 3v3 or 4v4 and I can never get enough people together to seriously stress-test it.[/quote]

Schedule permitted , I might be willing to join in a game if your ever looking for an extra person. Just send me a message/friend request/pm.

[quote name='KingBroly']Aren't they going to require all DLC maps to play ranked in like 2 weeks?[/quote]

It appears that all ranked modes except Lone Wolf will require Legendary/Mythic by June.

I have all the map packs(as do friends), but that doesn't seem right forcing people to buy multiple $10 add-ons to play the multiplayer mode packaged on the game disc.

[quote name='KingBroly']Aren't they going to require all DLC maps to play ranked in like 2 weeks?[/QUOTE]

That's coming with the June update as SK mentioned.

Most will, but 3 or 4 won't. Out of what I'd consider the base modes (Lone Wolves, Team Slayer, Team Objective) the only one left will be Lone Wolves. I believe you'll also have Squad Battle, Snipers, and the MLG lists. I hope they at least make Legendary free by the time they start requiring it and Mythic in all of these lists. But I'm not holding my breath on that happening.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Got two questions:

1. Is there a limit to how many match replays you can save? Maybe I'm just not observant enough , but it seems like it only keeps the last 3 replays.

2. Anyone here play or interested in playing various custom match games with other cags? Going through the Bungie.net website I found some interesting custom gametypes and maps through file shares.[/QUOTE]

1. You can go into Theater -> Recent Films and save the full replay to your hard drive. Once it's cleared out of Recent Films it's gone if you haven't saved it AFAIK.

2. I don't think there's any organized CAG Halo 3 night since the one I was running a while back died off. Set something up if you are interested. If you do it, my advice would be to sprinkle in normal game modes. Also remember that some get a little bored if some weird game mode that has little to do with normal Halo 3 play runs on and on for 10+ minutes.

[quote name='Draekon']Bungie should add in the Mythic Grifball map variations for the Grifball weekend.

Like:
80% Standard Court (Current one in use for Grifball League)
8% Aerial Grifball
5% Grifball Palace
2% Mayan Grifball (It's not a great map, but it's amusing none-the-less)

Would make it a little more interesting and change things up.[/QUOTE]

I played grifball one time in the Team Mythic list on a map called Grifbox (I think) It was in the crypt area of Sandbox.

I'd love for the grifball weeked to be on Mythic maps as that'd be an easy way to get the Killtacular and possibly Extermination achievements. Got the Bulltrue one in that one grif match I randomly played.

[quote name='wubb']I played grifball one time in the Team Mythic list on a map called Grifbox (I think) It was in the crypt area of Sandbox.

I'd love for the grifball weeked to be on Mythic maps as that'd be an easy way to get the Killtacular achievement. Got the Bulltrue one in that one grif match I randomly played.[/quote]

I knew I was forgetting one of the map variants. Unfortunately though, Grifbox is signficantly larger than the normal Grifball map. It may be suited for teams of 5 or 6 instead of 4 due to it's size and ability to more easily dance around the opposing team in comparison to the normal map.

Actually, is there a sword on any of the 3 currently released Mythic Maps? I wouldn't say I know them terribly well yet, but I can't recall seeing a sword on any of them outside of that Grifball match.

[quote name='wubb']Actually, is there a sword on any of the 3 currently released Mythic Maps? I wouldn't say I know them terribly well yet, but I can't recall seeing a sword on any of them outside of that Grifball match.[/QUOTE]

Nope, no sword on either of the 3, which kind of makes the Bulltrue achievement ridiculous to get, outside of Infection and Grifball...

The May Update has gone live. I've played one of the custom maps they've put in MMing a few times. "Punishment" It's okay. Better than Tundra SWAT IMO, but I think I like the default Sandbox better. I haven't played either the default or Punishment a ton of times. Haven't seen the other custom yet.

Sorry if I am coming in way too late but I haven't been able to find this anywhere.

When ODST comes out will you be able to play Regular Halo 3 with ODST players as well? Or will you have to buy ODST? I don't see a reason to buy Legendary and Mythic if they will be obsolete by September/October.

Thanks for clarifying.

(sorry if I asked stupid question)

bread's done
Back