Halo 3: ODST - Gen. Discussion & Info

Just based off logic, i dont think you would be able to get Halo 3 achievements with Halo ODST. Each game disc has their own achievements. I cant get Lego Star Wars The Original Trilogy achievements by playing Lego Star Wars the Complete Saga.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Just based off logic, i dont think you would be able to get Halo 3 achievements with Halo ODST. Each game disc has their own achievements. I cant get Lego Star Wars The Original Trilogy achievements by playing Lego Star Wars the Complete Saga.[/QUOTE]

Well that sucks. I could potentially do all the Mythic Pack achievements using a ODST disc and get no achievements...

[quote name='The 7th Number']Just based off logic, i dont think you would be able to get Halo 3 achievements with Halo ODST. Each game disc has their own achievements. I cant get Lego Star Wars The Original Trilogy achievements by playing Lego Star Wars the Complete Saga.[/QUOTE]

I really don't think that's the case. When you play the Halo 3 MP, you'll be playing and updating your Halo 3 stats and achievements to go with it.

Bungie hasn't straight up answered these questions but they way they have the achievements setup make it seem like they have it under control, whether it's a code or a disc that allows you to download the maps to your HDD or maybe you'll be able to just boot up Halo 3 MP from the disc.

I'm thinking they straight up extracted the Halo 3 MP from Halo 3 and put it on its own disc so achievements should work fine.

Well if the map packs have achievements, then it shouldnt matter if you use Halo 3 or Halo ODST to get them. Both should work, I would assume. But something like getting a double laser kill thats from halo 3 achievements, i dont think you could get with ODST. LOL, totally goes against what i was saying before. I was thinking mainly of Halo 3 achievements, not achievements linked to the map packs. But then i wonder if you could get them twice if you did them while on halo 3 and halo ODST? Or maybe if you unlock one, both would show up for each game. IDK. Its too confusing. lol

I'm more wondering about the achievements linked to the Mythic and Legendary map packs. That'd be lame if I completed all the achievements in those two packs using the ODST MP disc but didn't actually unlock the achievements towards my gamerscore because I wasn't using the Halo 3 disc.

Last edited by a moderator:
ODST is going to be 2 discs. Disc 1 is ODST. Disc 2 is H3's multiplayer, where you can get the achievments for the new maps.

[quote name='Trakan']ODST is going to be 2 discs. Disc 1 is ODST. Disc 2 is H3's multiplayer, where you can get the achievments for the new maps.[/QUOTE]

I know about the 2 disc thing. I was just wondering about my ability to get Legendary and Mythic map pack achievements using the ODST MP disc and having it count towards my overall Halo 3 achievement score.

When they first said that ODST was going to have the same multi player as H3 (excluding Firefight mode), they said that the multiplayer achievements were all tied to Halo 3's achievement list. So if you didn't have any Halo 3 gamerscore before, you will have if you start playing with multiplayer ODST.

The analogy the guy used was buckets. ODST will drop it's achievements into two buckets. The single player and Firefight goes into ODST. The regular multiplayer goes into Halo 3.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I know about the 2 disc thing. I was just wondering about my ability to get Legendary and Mythic map pack achievements using the ODST MP disc and having it count towards my overall Halo 3 achievement score.[/QUOTE]

You shark lovin' motherfucker. Disc 2 is H3's multiplayer, with all DLC maps. You'll get H3 achievements playing it.

You'll get ODST achievements on Disc 1.

[quote name='Trakan']You shark lovin' motherfucker. Disc 2 is H3's multiplayer, with all DLC maps. You'll get H3 achievements playing it.

You'll get ODST achievements on Disc 1.[/QUOTE]

Shut up Trakan.

This looks really fun.
As a fan of Halo, this seems like a nice break from playing as a 7 foot tall tank, and someone a little more average with a little more of a challenge.

I bet the ending will have something to do with the Mast Chief appearing.

Hey Everyone!

Just got this e-mail and thought more people might want to hear about it.

"Coming September 15, 2009: Best Buy RZGC members will have the chance to participate in a web chat with a Bungie developer on the upcoming release Halo 3 O.D.S.T. More details to be announced in early September."

Unfortunately, September is a long time away for those of you with short attention spans like me. HOWEVER! I talked to some of my contacts at corp and they said any questions posted in this thread will get sent in advance to Bungie to ensure your questions get answered!

Last thing...to actually take part in the web chat you have to be a Reward Zone Gamers Club member. Bummer huh...except it is free to join and all you need is reward zone.

Later

/edit Thanks Hydro! That look better to the grammar gods? :)

3 thoughts:

1. tkingnewbie = stupid sometimes when it comes to spelling. My bad and I will fix it.

2. Grammar police on exclamation points...seriously? Since when are gamers professional when it comes to posting on forums? I mean I could make a corporate type post that is free from my feelings but what fun would that be? However I apologize for my lack of attention to detail when posting and I will make sure I count how many exclamation points I put down next time:D

3. Buy the game wherever you want. If GS has a better deal then GS it is...but the chat with the bungie devs is free even if you never plan to buy a single game at Best Buy.

He does have a point there though. I wouldn't really want to play with randoms off of XBL. Just think of what could happen..you're about to finish the level, and then one guy kills everyone else with a rocket launcher, and then kills himself. Turns out he was host, and when everyone booted him, the game has to reconfigure and now everyone's stuck with lag from the new host.

Of course, that could happen with your friends, but then it's not as bad since you know them...usually.

[quote name='MasterSprtn117']He does have a point there though. I wouldn't really want to play with randoms off of XBL. Just think of what could happen..you're about to finish the level, and then one guy kills everyone else with a rocket launcher, and then kills himself. Turns out he was host, and when everyone booted him, the game has to reconfigure and now everyone's stuck with lag from the new host.

Of course, that could happen with your friends, but then it's not as bad since you know them...usually.[/QUOTE]

As the commenter wrote in the Kotaku story wrote...even the original Nazi Zombies map in CoD: WaW had matchmaking, and that was a throwaway bonus game mode.

And even in Nazi Zombies, or even L4D, there were times when my friends and I could only get 3 or so people together, so jumping into matchmaking to find a 4th player really helped out.

This seriously sucks and guarantees that Firefight mode will have a very short life. I usually wait to pick up new games(just picked up Gears2 a week ago) and by the time I get ODST(and reach is probably out), all of my friends will have moved on to bigger and better things. Totally sucks for me.

Didn't we "Finish the Fight" in Halo 3???

#1. Is it confirmed that HALO REACH is a FPS?

#2. Is it confirmed that HALO REACH will involve Master Chief?

[quote name='Master Ninja']Didn't we "Finish the Fight" in Halo 3???

#1. Is it confirmed that HALO REACH is a FPS?

#2. Is it confirmed that HALO REACH will involve Master Chief?[/QUOTE]

#1 - I think it was, but not 100% positive. It was in a quote from a microsoft or bungie employee during E3.

#2 - No, this hasn't been confirmed.

I'm pretty excited for this game. But, I am a pretty big Halo fan. I just ordered the Master chief bobblehead (not the old crappy one, the new super deformed and articulated one).

1. No but that's what most people are leaning towards
2. In some way yes as well as other spartans. He was shown as part of the silhouette picture released for Reach. But it isn't known if he is playable.

As for your first question: Reach is a prequel

In case you didn't see it, Bungie came out and said: Install the single player disc, but do not install the multiplayer disc

Woot. The ODST Transport Vehicle is stopping at a Gamestop about 2 miles away from me.

If I can convince a of couple friends to go, I might be able to convince even myself that I can suffer the embarassment of going to a GS to play a fucking game early.

got to try firefight out at the Gamestop truck tour. It was pretty cool. Melee attacks are much weaker as expected. Scoped pistol and smg are pretty cool. It shows on the screen when a new skull is added. It almost feels like call of duty halo with it's life system. The screen turns red when you get shot. If you make it to cover it goes back to normal if not, it starts taking down your life meter. Was getting this even if I hated it, but it is cool so no need to worry.

Holy shit that trailer was epic.

I just ordered this today in full on Amazon. Wasn't planning on it, but a new campaign and all the maps are worth it. Should hold me over til MW2

Gotta say that trailer was pretty awesome. Goes along well with what I hope this game achieves: Putting faces behind the "ZOMG SUPER AWESOME SPACE MARINES" and telling there tales.

Trailer is amazing.
Wasn't going to get this anytime soon, but after seeing this I think I'm going to cave and get it.
Looks to be a good game.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']So I was the only one that enjoyed the Hoobastank song from Vol. 1?[/QUOTE]

Hoobastank? Ew.

The Breaking Benjamin song was okay/better than Hoobastank.

[quote name='hufferstl']This seriously sucks and guarantees that Firefight mode will have a very short life. I usually wait to pick up new games(just picked up Gears2 a week ago) and by the time I get ODST(and reach is probably out), all of my friends will have moved on to bigger and better things. Totally sucks for me.[/QUOTE]

That's the nature of any multiplayer community though. If you want in you get in early. Rarely do games have a long MP tail. The game has to be huge (halo, GoW, CoD) for that to happen.

No Reach thread yet, so I'll post it here.

Bungie has confirmed that Reach will have a new engine.

Thank God.

The game is amazing so far. Too bad the campaign is kind of short. My buddy and I played it today and are over halfway done with it but that is just on normal. Going to save the legendary for a 2nd playthrough since you have to play twice for all the achievements.

Firefight mode is freaking sweet too!

The new maps for Halo 3 all look awesome and I cannot wait to play those in matchmaking. The new skulls are pretty easy to find as well.

bread's done
Back