Halo 3: ODST - Gen. Discussion & Info

did anyone else preorder at bestbuy online and if you did are picking it up at a midnight release? just wondering how in store pick up works for a midnight release maybe i will get an email sayings its ready at 11:45 Monday night.

The full 90-second version of the live action trailer will be shown during the UFC prelims Saturday night on Spike. I'm assuming it will be available on the marketplace next week.

[quote name='Trakan']No Reach thread yet, so I'll post it here.

Bungie has confirmed that Reach will have a new engine.

Thank God.[/QUOTE]

This one kinda had to have the same engine, though. Since it's the same multiplayer as Halo 3. Although, that brings up questions of how it works with Halo 3 in terms of achievements and maps.

Speaking of which, how does the second disc for ODST work for the 3 multiplayer maps? And how long's the campaign for this? I've heard that
it's only an hour long

I was just wondering why is this game coming out on a Tuesday? Games pretty much always come out on Fridays, just like new movies etc.

[quote name='KingBroly'] Speaking of which, how does the second disc for ODST work for the 3 multiplayer maps? And how long's the campaign for this? I've heard that
it's only an hour long
[/QUOTE]
The second disc is treated as if you have Halo 3 in the drive, but is Mulitplayer only. It includes every map released to date plus three new maps.

The game length, played on Heroic (solo) is about 6-8 hours. This is how Bungie is recommending the game be initially played. If your first play through is going to be with 4-people, Bungie recommends starting on Legendary.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='saunderscowie']I was just wondering why is this game coming out on a Tuesday? Games pretty much always come out on Fridays, just like new movies etc.[/QUOTE]I have no idea how games are released in the UK, but in North America, games, DVDs, and music are all released on Tuesdays. Friday releases tend to be the exception. XBLA and PSN have their own release days.

Yeah, must be a region thing. As long as I can remember Tuesday has always been the standard release day. I can't think of a single game that released on a Friday. DVDs do on a rare occasion (Spider-man 3, Shrek 2) but they are few and far between.

[quote name='KingBroly']This one kinda had to have the same engine, though. Since it's the same multiplayer as Halo 3. Although, that brings up questions of how it works with Halo 3 in terms of achievements and maps.

Speaking of which, how does the second disc for ODST work for the 3 multiplayer maps? And how long's the campaign for this? I've heard that
it's only an hour long
[/QUOTE]

Post #149 meet posts #105, #106, & #107:

[quote name='Ziv']
The analogy the guy used was buckets. ODST will drop it's achievements into two buckets. The single player and Firefight goes into ODST. The regular multiplayer goes into Halo 3.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Trakan'] Disc 2 is H3's multiplayer, with all DLC maps. You'll get H3 achievements playing it. You'll get ODST achievements on Disc 1.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='seanr1221']I'm sure if you put in the H3 map disc, it will just show up as H3 on your gamercard, giving you the achievements for it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']
In case you didn't see it, Bungie came out and said: Install the single player disc, but do not install the multiplayer disc[/QUOTE]

Actually I didn't see it, and missed your post until I just reread the thread. I was curious about that so thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='KingBroly']If the mulitplayer system isn't 100% linked with Halo 3's and you can't download the base maps for either to your hard drive so you can play on any Halo 3 MP map with either disc, it'll be a major disappointment.

Basic understanding of what I'm saying
Halo 3 + Recon Multiplayer are compatible
Halo 3/Recon MP DLC maps can be accessed with either disc
Halo 3/Recon MP base maps can be put on a hard drive[/QUOTE]

Actually they will not be linked and the only multiplayer on the ODST side is firefight the mythic maps will be on a seperate disk with all the others and load just as if it was a halo 3 game just the multi-player as a standalone no campaign on the disk.

I'm not a big Halo guy, I played for a month or two when 3 came out and haven't played since. I got the chance to play some firefight yesterday and it's awesome. I'm going to pick this up for sure now TRU $20 GC and figure is a good deal plus maybe I'll play some more online H3. Be sure to check it out even if you were on the fence like I was.

[quote name='Corvin'] I can't think of a single game that released on a Friday..[/QUOTE]

Madden 10
Gears of War 2

Just off the top of my head from recent games.

It's not a normal thing obviously. Usually Friday releases are very big gaming events if they ever do happen, but it definitely has happened and most likely will happen again. If its coming out on Friday elsewhere, its probably got to do w/ manufacturing/shipping to distributors overseas.

The reviews are out!

http://kotaku.com/5363178/halo-3-odst-review-the-more-vulnerable-edition

Equally intriguing is the story the player gleans by accessing computer terminals located throughout the city. These discoveries drip, through voiceover and drawings, the surprisingly harrowing tale of Sadie, a young woman whose life was upturned in the Covenant attack. Extra credit goes to Bungie for figuring out how to introduce a surprise gameplay benefit to tracking down this side narrative, an accomplishment not seen in other games with rich side-stories, such as BioShock and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/102/1025307p1.html
9.0. In many ways, Halo 3: ODST is a return to the roots of the Halo franchise. Master Chief -- with his magical healing Spartan armor, mockery of gravity, and dual wielding ways -- is sitting this one out. Instead, you'll take the role of the Orbital Drop Shock Trooper, or ODST. These highly-trained, but not quite super, soldiers don't have all of the strengths of the Chief. They can only aim one weapon at a time. They have a health bar that requires health packs to restore once their light overshield is depleted. They can't jump as high or fall as far or take as many bullets without stumbling into Death's open arms. They handle quite like Master Chief did in Halo: Combat Evolved, and they have a powerful scoped pistol to complete the throwback feel.

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3176104

A-. ODST has its share of flaws, but it's a noteworthy creation simply for the way in which it unites the two different faces of the franchise -- campaign and multiplayer -- into something that should appeal to both sets of fans. It doesn't really do anything new (quite the contrary, really), yet its take on these familiar ideas is at once incredibly polished and extremely addictive.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-halo-3-odst-148381.phtml#ext
Warning: The Destructoid review has a few too many spoilers for my liking.

8.0. The point of Firefight is to get as high a score as possible. It’s really about getting the chance to have some bragging rights against your friends, and there are a ton of ways to get points. Each enemy has a different point value assigned to it, and how you kill it will also change how many points you’ll get. All the medals you can get in the regular multiplayer for Halo 3 are attainable here, including some new ones for Firefight. Combos such as killing a Hunter and earning an Unstoppable medal will see your points jump, too.

http://www.giantbomb.com/halo-3-odst/61-24035/reviews/

4/5 Stars. Halo 3: ODST fills in a few interesting spots in the Halo timeline, even if the characters themselves aren't strong enough to carry the narrative. But it strikes a healthy balance between new twists and more content done in Bungie's trademark style. The more important thing is that if you've enjoyed playing Bungie's Halo games in the past, chances are you'll continue to enjoy that style in ODST.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I understand it, Firefight doesn't have matching making so maybe we should start a list, on here to have each other join friends list to play firefight as a full group....???

I'm considering picking this up. I've very little of H1 and H2 Campaign a long time ago and like one long gaming night of H3 (first time playing mulitplayer in a shooter). Hopefully I'll like this and will get used to the multiplayer.

[quote name='Zyzomys']I have no idea how games are released in the UK, but in North America, games, DVDs, and music are all released on Tuesdays. Friday releases tend to be the exception. XBLA and PSN have their own release days.[/QUOTE]

Right okay I guess its just a worldwide release then.

[quote name='mercilessming']As I understand it, Firefight doesn't have matching making so maybe we should start a list, on here to have each other join friends list to play firefight as a full group....???[/QUOTE]
We can just use the friend of a friends list like we did for Hal 3 and COD4. One of use makes a dummy account and up to 100 people can be friends and invite people that are friends with the dummy account to firefight.

I will make this if people want.

[quote name='M1C13']We can just use the friend of a friends list like we did for Hal 3 and COD4. One of use makes a dummy account and up to 100 people can be friends and invite people that are friends with the dummy account to firefight.

I will make this if people want.[/QUOTE]

Dude thats fucken brilliant, great idea, pleas let me know when you get that set up pleas

Do you have to install the Halo 3 map packs onto the hard drive like the Oblivion and Fallout expansions, or is it playable right off the disc? I'd like to clear up some hard drive space and delete the map packs if they're playable right on the disc itself.

[quote name='Poor2More']Dude thats fucken brilliant, great idea, pleas let me know when you get that set up pleas[/QUOTE]
I will set this up tonight and update everyone.

does anyone know if toys r us is giving out sgt johnson card when you pre oder it says on bungie site they are but a girl didnt know anything about it.

For the 20 gift card deal you have to show up on tuesday morning and buy it, but Sgt Johnson is for preorders only. Atleast that's what the clerk at TRU told me.

The multiplayer disc is still a little unclear to me, and I've been reading up on ODST. I'm still not sure I get it - all the Halo 3 maps are on the disc plus 3 new ones. Bungie says we don't need our copies of Halo 3 to play these maps, correct? So, are these maps playable with our ODST characters, or is it just straightforward Halo 3 multiplayer as Spartans with a few new maps that you don't need your copy of Halo 3 to play?

I'm only curious because I traded in my copy of Halo 3 to pay for my copy of ODST. It would be nice to know I could still play traditional Halo 3 multiplayer if I wanted to, but it's still cool if I only get to play through the Halo 3 maps as an ODST.

[quote name='jaso']The multiplayer disc is still a little unclear to me, and I've been reading up on ODST. I'm still not sure I get it - all the Halo 3 maps are on the disc plus 3 new ones. Bungie says we don't need our copies of Halo 3 to play these maps, correct? So, are these maps playable with our ODST characters, or is it just straightforward Halo 3 multiplayer as Spartans with a few new maps that you don't need your copy of Halo 3 to play?

I'm only curious because I traded in my copy of Halo 3 to pay for my copy of ODST. It would be nice to know I could still play traditional Halo 3 multiplayer if I wanted to, but it's still cool if I only get to play through the Halo 3 maps as an ODST.[/QUOTE]

Disc 1 is ODST single player and Firefight.
INSTALL THIS DISK ON YOUR HDD

Disc 2 is literally just the Halo 3 multiplayer component. Nothing more. It just includes every map that has been released and three new ones.
DO NOT INSTALL THIS DISK ON YOUR HDD.

Shouldn't the CAGHALO tag that io setup be the one that's used, or are we going to end up creating a third tag for this series (first one was CAG Halo Clan.)

[quote name='bobby107']does anyone know if toys r us is giving out sgt johnson card when you pre oder it says on bungie site they are but a girl didnt know anything about it.[/QUOTE]

They are supposed to be doing it, but given that's it's TRU, you might want to get there when they open tomorrow.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Shouldn't the CAGHALO tag that io setup be the one that's used, or are we going to end up creating a third tag for this series (first one was CAG Halo Clan.)[/QUOTE]
That is where I got the idea. We can just stay with them wasn't sure if the people were going to be the same. I am already friends with caghalo so works for me.

--DUMB QUESTION ALERT--

If you get Halo:ODST there is no reason to hold onto your Halo 3 game anymore unless you still want to play that on single player is that correct?

I guess what I am asking is everything that was mutiplayer about Halo 3 is included in ODST on the second disc. So it would be okay to trade in my Halo 3 towards ODST if I am done with the Halo 3 singleplayer campaign?

You are correct.

Remember that there is a "Road To Recon" achievement list that if you get them all you get Recon armor...some of those achievements are SP so if you got them or don't care for Recon, you're good to trade/sell H3.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']You are correct.

Remember that there is a "Road To Recon" achievement list that if you get them all you get Recon armor...some of those achievements are SP so if you got them or don't care for Recon, you're good to trade/sell H3.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the quick response.

Seems like way too much work for that damn Recon armor.

If anything, they should've made the prize the damn flaming helmet.

Those vidmaster achievements are no joke.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Seems like way too much work for that damn Recon armor.

Those vidmaster achievements are no joke.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Knowing that the Recon armor is the only thing I'd be missing out on makes me feel even better about trading in my copy of Halo 3 for $20 toward ODST. All I did anymore was play multiplayer.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Seems like way too much work for that damn Recon armor.

Those vidmaster achievements are no joke.[/QUOTE]

It's only a matter of time before people find cheap tricks and post them on the internet though. Since that'll likely be the case with Classic and Déjà Vu, Endure will probably end up being the hardest of the three in the long run.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']You are correct.

Remember that there is a "Road To Recon" achievement list that if you get them all you get Recon armor...some of those achievements are SP so if you got them or don't care for Recon, you're good to trade/sell H3.[/QUOTE]

So if I get this game, I can play multiplayer with friends playing Halo 3 multiplayer?

[quote name='DestroVega']So if I get this game, I can play multiplayer with friends playing Halo 3 multiplayer?[/QUOTE]

Yes. The 2nd disc is essentially Halo 3 with the campaign stripped out.

[quote name='DestroVega']So if I get this game, I can play multiplayer with friends playing Halo 3 multiplayer?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the second disk is Halo 3 multiplayer including every single map pack to date.

EDIT: Gah, beat by less than a minute.

Yes. They just won't be able to join ODST disc only playlists as they won't have the 3 new maps that are only on the ODST disc.

I kept meaning to jump back on some Halo 3 mp to get ready for this. I played some of the Halo 3 campaign to re-acquaint myself with the controls. I think I'll stick with coop stuff on ODST, I'm down to friend the CAG pseudo-friend come tomorrow. My GT is Gurtuuth.

[quote name='M1C13']That is where I got the idea. We can just stay with them wasn't sure if the people were going to be the same. I am already friends with caghalo so works for me.[/QUOTE]

I have CAG Halo as well as a friend, but is everyone on that list active/want to actually play firefight with CAGs? I feel like a FireFight thread could be launched to see if there is enough of a following to justify a "CAG FIREFIGHT", as i don't want to harass gamers on CAG Halo. Just a thought.

bread's done
Back