Halo 3: ODST - Gen. Discussion & Info

custom_1243894692415_Halo_Shock_Bundle_front_01.jpg
custom_1243889513738_HALO3_WL_Controller_01-CX.jpg

Halo 3 ODST may be a spin-off, but Microsoft wagers that enough content will be packed into the game's box to warrant a $59.99 price tag. Bungie Studios has suggested that Halo 3 ODST won't be as long as Halo 3. So why will it run the cost of a full game?

Here's a list of the included content according to information released by Microsoft to the press today:
-Halo 3 ODST Campaign, which puts the player in control of different characters in New Mombasa during the events leading up to Halo 3.
-Halo 3 ODST "Firefight" mode, "a new cooperative multiplayer* mode where up to four players can assume the role of an ODST squad and fight together to take on increasingly challenging waves of enemies." Also: "As an ODST squad, you will face increasingly challenging waves of enemies together, striving to earn the highest scores possible, while various "Halo 3" "Skulls" are progressively activated." (It sounds to us like Gears of War 2's Horde mode.)
-Three new Halo 3 multiplayer maps on a standalone disc
-The more than 20 downloadable maps previously released for Halo 3 in the Legendary, Heroic and Mythic map packs.
-A key to the forthcoming multiplayer beta for the fall 2010 Bungie game Halo: Reach
(The new game is said to support all of Halo 3's main features, including four-player co-op, campaign scoring, screenshots and Forge multiplayer map editing)

In addition, Microsoft will sell a $99 Collectors Edition of Halo 3 ODST that ships with the above elements and an exclusive ODST Xbox 360 controller.
http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/kotaku/full/~3/JkGrWU-WqNg/halo-3-odst-priced-like-a-full-game-loaded-with-content

I want that controller :drool:

I kinda figured before that Microsoft would charge atleast $50 or $60, just based off the fact its a Halo game, and will sell the same amount anyways (for the most part). That controller is really nice though, so for $40 more, I will probably pick it up, as it is actually something useful that comes in a CE. Kinda glad I didn't buy a refurb of the original ones of the same color scheme. The "firefight" mode sounds pretty much like Horde, which certainly would be a welcome addition. Also probably won't bother picking up the Mythic maps now, since the game comes out in September!

My main concern would be getting a rechargeable battery that matches the back of the controller :razz:

[quote name='mrcheapo11']My main concern would be getting a rechargeable battery that matches the back of the controller :razz:[/QUOTE]

Black should work fine...looks good on my Halo 3 (olive green) controller.

Gameplay looked cool. Darker graphics. The dude with the painted helmet (teeth) looked dope. Not a big Halo plan (playing H1 now) but this looks interesting. After they said it wouldn't be $60 and it is, kinda crappy.

Not a fan of the controller, but I'm excited for the game.
Crazy they are including the beta for the next game too, that's just awesome.

If the campaign isn't co-op and this horde ripoff "firefight" is their idea of 4 player co-op I'm going to be pissed.

Wants that premium theme...going to get it right now!

Also, major kudos on the collectors edition. Finally, something useful and relevant to the game (with it's 4 player squad modes). Definitely getting that!

I am excited for ODST, because it features some type of Multiplayer which features.

4 player or 5 player Horde mode very similar to Gears 2. Only Marines vs Covenant.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']premium theme looks pretty good. Best part is no HALO ODST Logo Ruining Everything.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Hate pimped out themes.

$60? Really MS? Really?
Even Bungie said themselves it wouldn't be $60/wasn't a full game. Well I have no doubt that this will sell well, but I was hoping more along the lines of $40. When Bungie says it won't be $60 you gota be weary of this.

With Left 4 Dead 2 out and Modern Warfare 2 not too far away either It's going to be hard to put down $60 for ODST.

Call me a Halo fanboy but I am so unbelivably excited about this! To be completely honest I wasn't 100% convinced by the trailer, but I have high hopes that bungie can pull this off. Hopefully there will be a secret level or ending that reveals more about Master Chiefs fate.

It would also be neat if they incooperated some of the vechiles from Halo Wars.

[quote name='Corvin']Yep. Everything you can do in MP in Halo 3 will be included in ODST, so there will be no dividing the user base.[/QUOTE]

Tell that to Capcom...they screwed the pooch with Lost Planet and the Colonies Edition

I'll pass on the ODST controller, still no improved D-Pad?

For the "Firefight" mode, will you need to have unlocked the skulls in Halo 3, or will they be a given? I couldn't even bear to finish the first level of H3, the series has gotten progressively worse since the original.

I watched the gameplay trailer last night, and I am interested. Hopefully they will have co-op campaign action. My hope is that this will play somewhat like Star Wars Republic Commando, but I doubt that.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']$60? Really MS? Really?
Even Bungie said themselves it wouldn't be $60/wasn't a full game. Well I have no doubt that this will sell well, but I was hoping more along the lines of $40. When Bungie says it won't be $60 you gota be weary of this.

With Left 4 Dead 2 out and Modern Warfare 2 not too far away either It's going to be hard to put down $60 for ODST.[/QUOTE]
Its $60?!
oh well, M$ sure does like its $.

I already have two of the Halo 3 green contrrollers, but the design on this one will sucker me in. It actually looks like it fits with the H3 system better than the ones that came with it. Then my son will want one. Guess i'll be preordering two of them.

Anyone else more excited about Halo: Reach than this?

ODST is still day one purchase for me, but I'm more interested in the Reach storyline where we can finally play as/learn about the other surviving Spartans besides the Chief.

I'm excited for both. More ODST than reach, because I don't know anything about Reach yet, so it could be retarded for all we know. It's a FPS, which is a great start, but still. I'm sure it'll be awesome, I can't wait to play the beta.

I like that ODST theme and the collectors editon is pretty cool, I have a question is the beta for Reach ONLY available if you get the collectors edition?

FYI on G4 the lead Bungie guy said all you will need for the Reach beta will be the ODST disc, just like it was for the Halo 3 beta with Crackdown.

First L4D2 and now this? I hope this "Rehash the campaign and have minor tweaks and additions using the same engine" doesn't become a new acceptable standard.

[quote name='MSUHitman']FYI on G4 the lead Bungie guy said all you will need for the Reach beta will be the ODST disc, just like it was for the Halo 3 beta with Crackdown.[/QUOTE]

Yeah thats what I thought.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Anyone else more excited about Halo: Reach than this?

ODST is still day one purchase for me, but I'm more interested in the Reach storyline where we can finally play as/learn about the other surviving Spartans besides the Chief.[/QUOTE]

Of course! But for different reasons. I play Halo primarily for multiplayer, and Reach will hopefully be using a new engine and have an improved multiplayer portion over Halo 3, while ODST is just Halo 3's multiplayer with Firefight added.

Man, I really don't need another controller but that one looks awesome. I just know I'm going to fold like a cheap card table chair on release day. :(

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']First L4D2 and now this? I hope this "Rehash the campaign and have minor tweaks and additions using the same engine" doesn't become a new acceptable standard.[/QUOTE]

They've been doing it to Madden for years and that game continues to sell, and honestly who is going to be able to resist Halo as a XBox owner? Halo 3 is already on track to sell 10 million copies. I imagine ODST does at least half that if not more in a year.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Anyone else more excited about Halo: Reach than this?

ODST is still day one purchase for me, but I'm more interested in the Reach storyline where we can finally play as/learn about the other surviving Spartans besides the Chief.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Hopefully they can redeem themselves after fucking up Halo 3's multiplayer.

i pre-ordered it from gamestop's e3 special with free overnight shipping. i'm personally looking forward to playing someone other than the master chief.

Okay i bought 3 halo 3 map packs, only one i dont have is mythic, by any chance do these maps come with this game? I believe this game runs on the same halo 3 MP.

ODST has all the maps and it has three exclusive ones or something like that. Errr no wait, I think the three exclusive ones will be released eventually but you get them free

[quote name='The 7th Number']Okay i bought 3 halo 3 map packs, only one i dont have is mythic, by any chance do these maps come with this game? I believe this game runs on the same halo 3 MP.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Yes...Mythic will be included with ODST.[/QUOTE]

But the real question is, whether or not you can install the maps from the second ODST disc, and play them in Halo 3 to get the Mythic-exclusive achievements.:whistle2:k

[quote name='The 7th Number']Will ODST add more to customizing your character? It would be nice to have new armor to use that isnt in Halo 3.[/QUOTE]

The only thing ODST will allow is everyone to use the Recon armor (via the Vidmaster achievements), so other than that, I don't think you can customize further (unless there is customization in Firefight mode).

[quote name='mrcheapo11']But the real question is, whether or not you can install the maps from the second ODST disc, and play them in Halo 3 to get the Mythic-exclusive achievements.:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

I've wondered that as well, because I highly doubt that a cross-game achievement system is ready to go for this. They'd better do that, or I'll be pissed, cause I like having me some Halo achievements ;)

Quick Halo 3 map question:

Of all of the released maps, which are remakes of classic (h1 and 2) maps?

I know Vallahalla is supposed to be Blood Gulch, and Blackout is Lockout, Zanzibar is on H3, are there any others? I know there are plans to remake Midship on Mythic Pack 2.

[quote name='soccerstud652']Quick Halo 3 map question:

Of all of the released maps, which are remakes of classic (h1 and 2) maps?

I know Vallahalla is supposed to be Blood Gulch, and Blackout is Lockout, Zanzibar is on H3, are there any others? I know there are plans to remake Midship on Mythic Pack 2.[/QUOTE]

Cold Storage is Chill Out from H1.

Avalanche is supposed to be "inspired" by Sidewinder from H1.

[quote name='mrcheapo11']But the real question is, whether or not you can install the maps from the second ODST disc, and play them in Halo 3 to get the Mythic-exclusive achievements.:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that won't matter. If you play Halo 3 MP directly from the ODST disc, you will be playing Halo 3, so all the achievements should correspond accordingly.

So this may have been answered but...

If I get ODST and play that game's multiplayer disc which is the same as Halo 3's MP, can I work to get the new Halo 3 MP achievements using the ODST disc? Or would I have to purchase those map packs and use a copy of Halo 3 to get the new Mythic Pack achievements and the other ones?

If I get ODST and play that game's multiplayer disc which is the same as Halo 3's MP, can I work to get the new Halo 3 MP achievements using the ODST disc? Or would I have to purchase those map packs and use a copy of Halo 3 to get the new Mythic Pack achievements and the other ones?
I thought the second disc in ODST was installed to the hard drive, and then it would work with either Halo 3, or Halo 3: ODST. Then, with the Halo 3 disc, you got Halo 3 achievements, and with the Halo: ODST disc you get ODST achievements. This of course could be completely wrong - I have been following this game for so long it all becomes a little fuzzy.

bread's done
Back