Halo 3: ODST - Gen. Discussion & Info

@kklems: GS requires both discs for trade in (which is $30 as of this posting). It's labeled in their register as a 2-disk set. Unless you get a clueless person ringing you up, it's not gonna happen.

Finished the campaign a little while ago and I really enjoyed the campaign. Not gonna touch it for a couple days because of the marathon session today, but I'll probably start playing some firefight then.

Played through on Heroic and I have a question that may be a potential spoiler.

We're playing through the eyes of like 3 or 4 different characters right? And the beginning character's cut scenes are the other guys that fought right before him right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked it up earlier today.. waiting for roommate to get home before starting on the campaign since I heard there's coop on it.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Got dam.

183,493 by myself on Crater on Normal. Ish gets hard.[/QUOTE]

You can play firefight alone?

Firefight is awesome! I love it. Worth the price of admission.

[quote name='guyver2077']i noticed the Halo reach insert... how will it work? theres no code or anything..[/QUOTE]

The beta comes out in 2010. If its exclusive at all, im sure there is something on the disc to show its part of the first run of ODST.

Beat the campaign in 4 hours on normal, will do Heroic co-op some other time, can;t wait to play some firefight when i get my mic so add me (i'm a lonely hermit who needs luv)

i preordered ODST from Amazon, and it showed up today. Was I supposed to be emailed the SGT. Johnson code or should it have been in the box? Thanks for the info.

Beat the game on Legendary with 3 people total. What a disappointing campaign. It was only 4 and a half hours long. What is that? The story was great and all, but for $60, I expected more time out of it. The last half of the game was by far the best part of the game. Firefight is awesome for those of you that haven't played it, yet. The three of us that played the campaign played on a map until Set 3 (45 rounds). It was challenging and fun. We stopped at the beginning of set 4 because we got bored.

Anyone who wants to play some late night Firefight tonight let me know. I'll be playing the game off and on till probably 3am PST. My gamertag is JSniperton.

Just worked through the game and loved it. Will be working on fire fight and those damn vid-master achivements over the next few days. Send me a FR if you want to go into firefight or after the achivements.

[quote name='BackInBlack']The beta comes out in 2010. If its exclusive at all, im sure there is something on the disc to show its part of the first run of ODST.[/QUOTE]

At some point next year, that "Intel" option at the bottom that has one of the vidoc's right now will switch to Halo Reach beta or something and you will download and play it through there, just like how you had to have the Crackdown disc and go into its options to play the Halo 3 beta back in May 07.

Just beat it on Legendary with 2 other people in one sitting, got me 685 cheesemints through the run.

Overall, I didn't really feel amazed or enthralled by the game at all. I couldn't form a connection with any of the characters and the main hub area didn't catch my interest.

On another note, the pistol fucking wrecks.

Hmmm, that's wierd, I played through 3 missions on solo, jumped into a friend's co-op campaign. I came back and I couldn't quite resume the campaign where I left off. now it's listed that I still need to finish the first 2 flashbacks.... annoying.

Is there any way to jump back into night mode and find another beacon?

[quote name='menikmati']Just got my Sgt. Johnson code from Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Letting my 360 and my hands rest after breaking in my new GH5 guitar before I fire this game up.

Yeah, I just got my Sergent Johnson code, an e-mail stating I'll be getting my $9 refund within 2 days, and my $10 promotional credit.

What's crazy is I ALSO got the $5 credit for the HALOODST code, despite entering it and it not working. I emailed them earlier this month and it was manually applied to my account. Basically, I got a $20 promotional credit for the game.

My friend got the $9 refund email and I did'nt... is there something I need to have done to get this? We pre-ordered near the same day, with the same coupons/bonuses.

Why are you guys playing through the campaign with other people?
You know its not long as it is and you think playing through with others will make it better? The whole point of the campaign was to play by yourself to make the feeling of loneliness stick. And if you played co-op you killed that. I'm playing on Legendary by my self and I love it. Playing with 3 total people would be boring because there would be zero challenge.

[quote name='slickkill77']Why are you guys playing through the campaign with other people?
You know its not long as it is and you think playing through with others will make it better? The whole point of the campaign was to play by yourself to make the feeling of loneliness stick. And if you played co-op you killed that. I'm playing on Legendary by my self and I love it. Playing with 3 total people would be boring because there would be zero challenge.[/QUOTE]

This.

I'm kind of surprised people are playing through the campaign on co-op, then complaining that its either too short, or that its dull and you breezed through it.

Playing the game solo first time time is absolute the way you should play it IMO then on co-op on subsequent plays.

The atmosphere in the hub is great and really different from any other Halo game. You actually feel vulnerable, and you want to avoid fights. You don't get that same feeling on co-op.

Anyways,

Sorry if its been covered, but if you want the achievement for beating the game on Legendary, do you have to go through the Hub? Or can you just go to mission select and choose Legendary as the difficulty?

does this game not fucking auto save after each checkpoint?!?!? i just turned it off yesterday after hitting a checkpoint and now it is starting me over from the beginning! WTF!??!

[quote name='Malik112099']does this game not fucking auto save after each checkpoint?!?!? i just turned it off yesterday after hitting a checkpoint and now it is starting me over from the beginning! WTF!??![/QUOTE]

Seems to be an issue the game has.

I had to re-play the first 3 missions again even though I had beaten them and had their respective achievements unlocked.

[quote name='Malik112099']does this game not fucking auto save after each checkpoint?!?!? i just turned it off yesterday after hitting a checkpoint and now it is starting me over from the beginning! WTF!??![/QUOTE]
Did you just turn on the game off or did you select start and then Save and Quit?

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Seems to be an issue the game has.

I had to re-play the first 3 missions again even though I had beaten them and had their respective achievements unlocked.[/QUOTE]

You probably already know, but it deletes your save if you jump into a replay of a mission, you'll no longer have any progress whatsoever.

Don't know if that's what you guys did or not.

[quote name='thamaster24']You probably already know, but it deletes your save if you jump into a replay of a mission, you'll no longer have any progress whatsoever.

Don't know if that's what you guys did or not.[/QUOTE]

Nope.

I went and triggered a mission, waited until I hit a check point (like 1 minute into the mission because I knew I was going to quit playing after the first check point) and turned off the console.

Went back, went towards a beacon...started it. I went, "hmm. I already played this. Maybe the game just didn't save THIS one." Went to another beacon..."WTF I played this one too." Beat that, went to the third beacon, "Goddamnit, game didn't save anything."

A ton of people on GAF have been reporting the problem too.

I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a "continue campaign" option for me when I hit Solo Campaign.

Not sure if it was asked in here at all, but for those who finished the game on Legendary and watch the stuff after the credits, I have a few questions, as I just beat the game last night with a friend...

-One of the Scarabs that crosses the highway on the final level, the one that "doesn't see you." Is it the one from Halo 2 or just happens to be there?

-After the credits roll, and the part with Johnson goes through, and the video cuts back to the data center... What is it that's so important down below it? And why is the prophet there?

I understand that the Arc from Halo 3 is near the city, but what's so important down there, as they already showed the dig site for the Arc?

[quote name='M1C13']Did you just turn on the game off or did you select start and then Save and Quit?[/QUOTE]

turned it off after a checkpoint saved...every other halo game auto saves after a checkpoint but upon turning on the console this morning there was no continue campaign option or anywhere to start from a save point

Thanks Super Tongue for the spoiler tag and I would like to remind others to please do the same. I can't wait to play the campaign of this game as I think it might be the first Halo game that I will actually understand what is going on.

[quote name='hufferstl']Thanks Super Tongue for the spoiler tag and I would like to remind others to please do the same. I can't wait to play the campaign of this game as I think it might be the first Halo game that I will actually understand what is going on.[/QUOTE]

You are very much so welcome! Now go beat the game on Legendary so you can answer the questions!

[quote name='SuperTongue']Not sure if it was asked in here at all, but for those who finished the game on Legendary and watch the stuff after the credits, I have a few questions, as I just beat the game last night with a friend...

-One of the Scarabs that crosses the highway on the final level, the one that "doesn't see you." Is it the one from Halo 2 or just happens to be there?

-After the credits roll, and the part with Johnson goes through, and the video cuts back to the data center... What is it that's so important down below it? And why is the prophet there?

I understand that the Arc from Halo 3 is near the city, but what's so important down there, as they already showed the dig site for the Arc?
[/QUOTE]

First Q: Never thought about that. Could be either/or if you ask me.

Second Q: I'll have to beat the game on Legendary to see what you're talking about. I played the Halo 2 campaign the least amount of times (2x maybe) versus Halo and Halo 3 (Halo like 10x over and Halo 3 4x?) I might pop in H2 and try to remember the storyline there

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Nope.

I went and triggered a mission, waited until I hit a check point (like 1 minute into the mission because I knew I was going to quit playing after the first check point) and turned off the console.

Went back, went towards a beacon...started it. I went, "hmm. I already played this. Maybe the game just didn't save THIS one." Went to another beacon..."WTF I played this one too." Beat that, went to the third beacon, "Goddamnit, game didn't save anything."

I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a "continue campaign" option for me when I hit Solo Campaign.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... the only time I stopped playing was on Oni Alpha Site and I paused and hit Save and Quit. I had just played through a checkpoint as well and it took me back to the checkpoint. Wish I could help you more, but that's really the only time I stopped for a while. I did, after completing the campaign go back and replay a mission, which deleted my progress so no more continue campaign after that. Maybe they changed it to where you have to pause and save and quit now.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Nope.

I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a "continue campaign" option for me when I hit Solo Campaign.[/QUOTE]

When I went through the campaign I beat it all at once, but I did stop when I got to a checkpoint on Oni Alpha Site for a while. I hit save and quit though, maybe it changed to where you have to hit save and quit now?

I restarted at the correct checkpoint luckily.

[quote name='thamaster24']When I went through the campaign I beat it all at once, but I did stop when I got to a checkpoint on Oni Alpha Site for a while. I hit save and quit though, maybe it changed to where you have to hit save and quit now?

I restarted at the correct checkpoint luckily.[/QUOTE]

I actually ended up beating the game in one play through too, including replaying the first 3 missions again. Surprisingly, I still managed to finish it in about 4 1/2 hrs by myself on Normal. Made me realize how short the game really is.

bread's done
Back