Halo 4 out November 6th!!

I've been a long time Halo fan & I'm cautiously optimistic about the game. Listening to the new 343 Sparkast it sounds like 343 is going to do some really interesting things with the series. Every game has had progression in the MP mechanics & this game sounds no different.

I'm a little on the fence about armor abilities & not sure how I feel about callouts for power weapon spawns. I feel like map knowledge/weapon control has been an integral part of the series, & this kind of does away with that. I'm also a little bummed about the lack of a public beta for balancing issues. I hated Reach during the beta but a lot of the issues I had got worked out for the public release.

I am however excited about the prospect of being about to pick starting weapons. Now I never have to worry about crappy AR starts!

I'm a fan of Halo, beat the first three games and currently wrapping up Reach. Really looking forward to playing HCEA (when the price drops a bit more). I have Halo Wars in my backlog but I've heard the achievements (and MP) are both terrible.

Two questions:

1. Anybody have the basics (with spoilers if possible) on the next couple games? Someone mentioned the books are supposedly based on possible upcoming events for the next games.

2. I thought I read 343 was doing a trilogy of Halo games. I swore I read HCEA and Halo 4 are 2 of the 3 games. Can anybody confirm this? And if so, will Halo 5 be the end? Just curious. :)

m

The achievements are very easy for Halo Wars. The general rank is the only time consuming one, they patched it so it is a lot easier to reach general. The campaign is a lot of fun as well. Not sure who told you they were hard.

As with all rts games, you have to prepare for the rush in mp. If you can get a good quick defense up, like counter units, your good. If you play someone that is unsc they like to warthog rush.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']As with all rts games, you have to prepare for the rush in mp. If you can get a good quick defense up, like counter units, your good. If you play someone that is unsc they like to warthog rush.[/QUOTE]
Covenant leader rush, FTW.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']The achievements are very easy for Halo Wars. The general rank is the only time consuming one, they patched it so it is a lot easier to reach general. The campaign is a lot of fun as well. Not sure who told you they were hard.
[/QUOTE]

I 2nd this. Achievements weren't that hard. You can use the skulls you collect to make legendary much easier. This was the first RTS I've ever played and I was able to get all the achievements, but ranking up to general just takes awhile.

Not to get off topic, but you can't quite warthog rush with anyone UNSC unless it's Anders. Cutter or Forge you're just going warthogs by the time you get enough out to comprise an sort of offense, just saying. But yes the achievements for HW are pretty easy.

On topic: The cinematic was pretty cool, why they still haven't made a Halo movie yet is beyond me, it needs to be all CGI like they did with FF spirits within, the movie itself from a movie critic standpoint was terrible but holy shit did it look cool through the whole experience.

Regardless I'll be buying it, I bought Reach and Reach is terrible so it's going to be tough to disappoint me with Halo at this point.

[quote name='cancermatt']I'm a fan of Halo, beat the first three games and currently wrapping up Reach. Really looking forward to playing HCEA (when the price drops a bit more). I have Halo Wars in my backlog but I've heard the achievements (and MP) are both terrible.

Two questions:

1. Anybody have the basics (with spoilers if possible) on the next couple games? Someone mentioned the books are supposedly based on possible upcoming events for the next games.

2. I thought I read 343 was doing a trilogy of Halo games. I swore I read HCEA and Halo 4 are 2 of the 3 games. Can anybody confirm this? And if so, will Halo 5 be the end? Just curious. :)

m[/QUOTE]

Halo Wars is an awesome game. I highly recommend playing it. The only difficulty is getting past playing an RTS on console.

1. Sorry, but who ever said that was incorrect. Recently they have started a new book trilogy about the Forerunners, but the books are prequels to anything human. Now, they may contain hints at things in the game, but they aren't about the new games.

2. Yes they are making a new trilogy. It will include Halo 4, 5, and 6. I would also imagine that 2013 will be Halo 2 Remake. As M$ wants to pump them out every year now.

Hope this helps! :bouncy:

[quote name='100xp']i'm buying it for the campaign, MP is just replay gravy.[/QUOTE]

This

As always the story surrounding the Master Chief should be quite compelling. Can't wait for this to come out!

[quote name='Pirate331']Maybe he meant the most recent 'current' book, Glasslands, plus whatever comes after it and not the Forerunner trilogy?[/QUOTE]

You're right, I must have missed Glasslands. I don't think it's about Cheif though. I think I will order it.

I just got an email from microsoft about Halo 4. They included an image and labeled it 18/32. So basically i'm wondering if anyone else got any images sent to their email.
Image 18

If you guys have any images I can create on big image file in photoshop to see what it is.

Looks like it might be the cover art for 4. If I got one it was deleted as it was marked spam.

I got image 11
http://image.engage.xbox.com/lib/feca167070610c7c/m/4/12993-H4_11.jpg
12993-H4_11.jpg

It is pretty epic if you ask me.

Microsoft has obliged in an exceptionally clever way, e-mailing 32 separate pieces of the same image to ardent fans of the series in messages titled “Your Piece of the Halo 4 Puzzle.” The pieces were numbered X/32, allowing players to pool together their imagery on forums with all the applicable components of the puzzle.

Franchise Development Director Frank O’Connor posted on his Facebook the picture above along with “Our boxart illustration,” confirming its legitimacy.

picture.php

also possible (without reading the article or link) it's alternate art for limited, CE, inside artwork, instruction manual art, and whatever else they come up with. still, spanky piece of work.

That's pretty nice. I wonder how fucked up it'll look once you plaster the 360 bar along the top along with a MS logo, a 343 logo, the standard ratings box, and a "Free exclusive (something) inside" on it.

[quote name='KaneRobot']That's pretty nice. I wonder how fucked up it'll look once you plaster the 360 bar along the top along with a MS logo, a 343 logo, the standard ratings box, and a "Free exclusive (something) inside" on it.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the purple "Better with Kinect" bar :lol:

[quote name='Dark Rider']Looks pretty good. It appears Chief got a new suit on armor.[/QUOTE]

Yep. They posted some comparison pics about a month or so ago between Halo 3 Chief and Halo 4 Chief.

Glad they're not doing an oversized Legendary Edition this time. (edit - incorrect info removed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ-mmSh9yMw

Music sample that was posted about a month ago. It's two songs sort of mixed together, the transition is at the 2:30 mark.

I like it. I always liked the Halo series music and this seems like it's a step up (they have a new guy doing the music since Marty O'Donnell is still with Bungie, not 343).

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.giantbomb.com/news/spartan-ops-is-halo-4s-new-episodic-multiplayer-mode/4151/

They mentioned Spartan Ops mode again today alongside the Special Edition stuff... Not much new info really.

Spartan Ops is a story-based multiplayer mode for up to 4 players that takes place aboard the USNC Infinity, the ship that acts as Halo 4's primary multiplayer hub. The missions that take place in Spartan Ops are essentially an offshoot of the main Halo 4 campaign, with new missions released on a weekly basis that flesh out the story of the Infinity, its crew, and a new team of Spartans. These missions will allow players to "explore the corners of Requiem in these objective-based missions, and help uncover the secrets of the mysterious Forerunner world."

This mode comes in addition to the previously revealed War Games mode, which serves as Halo 4's competitive multiplayer option.

I expect we'll be hearing a whole bunch more about Spartan Ops and War Games come E3, since, you know, that's kind of what E3 is meant for.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']It is 3 map packs after release.[/QUOTE]

Yep, sorry. I read another site which erroneously said "three maps" and not "three map packs" & didn't read the Joystiq article.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I like it. I always liked the Halo series music and this seems like it's a step up (they have a new guy doing the music since Marty O'Donnell is still with Bungie, not 343).[/QUOTE]

Really? That's one thing I'll definitely miss from any new Halo games. I thought Marty O'Donnell always did an excellent job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldzZ...UUyc90bbmAH_sWqDJUBk2QPg&index=0&feature=plcp

Some new MP footage. The BR sounds really weak.

[quote name='Trakan']Really? That's one thing I'll definitely miss from any new Halo games. I thought Marty O'Donnell always did an excellent job.[/QUOTE]

That came out weird, sorry. I don't mean it's a step up in that I disliked O'Donnell's stuff, I actually really like it and Halo is the only series I've bought the soundtracks for every single time. I just mean that particular piece of music I linked to seems like there is more to it than your typical Halo music, so I'm anxious to see what the complete project is like.

Made some progress, cleaning up Reach Anniversary DLC this week. One more cheevo to go to complete the game, then on to CEA. I'm slowly working my way up to Halo 4.

I figure by the time it gets released, I'll have started/completed CEA, started/completed Halo 2 (PC) and possibly started Halo Wars. Good ole backlog... always weighing me down.

Would anybody else want to get the Vidmaster Achievements before Halo 4 comes out? I only need to get the Annual achievement, but nobody ever wants to do that one. I know Recon armor is already available to everyone, but I'd still like to get that achievement.

Also, I hope this isn't old news, but has anyone noticed that in Halo 3 and ODST your file share has more than 6 spaces even without Bungie Pro? Is this something 343 did permanently?

[quote name='The Ebbtide']Would anybody else want to get the Vidmaster Achievements before Halo 4 comes out? I only need to get the Annual achievement, but nobody ever wants to do that one. I know Recon armor is already available to everyone, but I'd still like to get that achievement.

Also, I hope this isn't old news, but has anyone noticed that in Halo 3 and ODST your file share has more than 6 spaces even without Bungie Pro? Is this something 343 did permanently?[/QUOTE]

yeah there's a few achievements i'd like to get before H4. if we get enough ppl i'll pause D3 for a few and help hammer them/yours/others out.

Count me in for any Reach/Anniversary/ODST achievements people want to do. (I don't think I have a copy of Halo 3 here, but I'll check.) I'm not particularly good at Halo but hopefully I wouldn't be too much of a drag in a co-op group. I'd love to finish up the Reach and ODST campaigns on Legendary co-op with a group here.

I still need to get a few achievements on 3 and ODST. Still think I need that "beat the mothership in under 2 minutes" or whatever it is on Reach as well. I'll have to look them up. Not sure that I'm really skilled enough to help out on any of those crazy Vidmaster ones though, especially the one where you have to go through the last level of 3 with 4 players or whatever.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I'm not particularly good at Halo but hopefully I wouldn't be too much of a drag in a co-op group. I'd love to finish up the Reach and ODST campaigns on Legendary co-op with a group here.[/QUOTE]
There is an achievement for solo beating Reach on Legendary. I'd still help you complete it in cooperative play, but you'd miss out on that other achievement.

Also, if people are looking to get them in Halo 3, you'd probably want to be in a party with people. The multiplayer isn't dead, but it's somewhat rough to get into games, especially since it seems like most other players are in parties already. Lone Wolves probably isn't hard to find games in, but anything outside of that might be difficult. I tried playing Action Sack a few times in Halo 3 over the weekend and the matchmaking process took several minutes.

I've pretty much stopped playing Halo: Reach's multiplayer as the last group of competitive games I've played my entire team quit out repeatedly. 4vs1 or 8vs1 made me begin to question why I'm paying for Live. And Firefight is just full of high ranks idling to get their perfections up. It's like nobody actually plays anymore. I'm sure other people have different experiences, and I just have bad luck, but it takes me out of the game.

If people are looking to play, I still have all of the games, and would help you get what your after. I just don't want to boost for things, as I like getting the achievements in Halo and saving the videos of them.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']There is an achievement for solo beating Reach on Legendary. I'd still help you complete it in cooperative play, but you'd miss out on that other achievement.[/QUOTE]
That's cool, I'm not as concerned about completing the game. Some of the multiplayer achievements in the latest DLC seem pretty annoying anyway. I'd just like to finish up the campaign on Legendary since I've already done the first 6 or so levels (up to the part where you pilot the spaceship and then land back on the planet again I think). I'll hit you up sometime when I see you online if you don't mind!

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Just a fair warning to anybody boosting mp achievements, if you are using extra controllers, make sure to play with them or you can get a ban.[/QUOTE]

i've encountered many rubber band idle boosters in FF, sometimes even 2 or 3 of them at a time.

[quote name='100xp']i've encountered many rubber band idle boosters in FF, sometimes even 2 or 3 of them at a time.[/QUOTE]
This is why I'm playing score attack any more. Firefight usually ended up with me leading Elites to where idle players were, and watching them die repeatedly. I actually have several saved videos (at least 15) of people just not playing, or quickly coming back to the game when they get attacked (I guess they check for a vibrating controller), only to idle once they 'save' themselves.

My favorite video is one where 2 players idled, while one quit. About 5-7 minutes in I just let several Elites repeatedly kill the two idlers. It's over 10 minutes of them just being killed, while I walk around the map, taking in the detail of it.

It's too bad Bungie/343/Microsoft never did/does anything to punish these people. They completely ruin the game, which makes me not play it, causing me to sell off my copy and not be too interested in future titles.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I'd just like to finish up the campaign on Legendary since I've already done the first 6 or so levels (up to the part where you pilot the spaceship and then land back on the planet again I think). I'll hit you up sometime when I see you online if you don't mind![/QUOTE]
Sure. I might finally be able to Iron my support medal. I think it'd take years to get halfway to the Onyx of it.

If people do want to try and get the Vidmasters done they're not hard, sort of... The campaign ones of Halo 3 and ODST are more trial and error of deaths, where you'll progress fine, but get stuck in certain spots where a player or players repeatedly die from an enemy, or a bad cover spot, or vehicle rolling off, or some other extreme where you have to figure out as a team how to prevent this, and then move along to the next checkpoint.

Deja Vu took just over an hour when I played it last year with people from this site. I'd expect the same from Annual in Halo 3.

Endure is tricky. I've read people saying it takes 3-4 hours, but I was able to do it with randoms from gamefaqs in just over 2 hours. We were fast, though, and worked in pairs, which is how you should do all three of them. 2 and 2, and becoming a group of 4 on tricky enemies, like Hunters, Wraiths, Hammer Chieftains, or anything else that will cost you lives.

If people want to try for these, I'm after Annual, but would help with the others.

right now if you preorder halo 4 from the microsoft store online you receive a ~$25 voucher for you next purchase, here is the link:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Halo4
here are the terms and conditions:
**Limited time offer valid on eligible products thru 11/5/2012. $25 single use promo code coupon will be delivered via email within 10 days of game release. Offer and promo code not valid on previous orders, cannot be transferred, redeemed for cash or combined with any other offer or promotion. Online and in-store terms may differ. Promo code may only be used for future online purchase and expires on 12/31/2012. Limit 3 per person

I'd be interested in achievements. I'm missing a couple of the Reach CEA map achievements, & a few from H3 MP. I tried getting some of those H3 achievements a few months back but there's hardly anyone playing the DLC playlists.

So out of curiousity, who here is planning on getting this at release? I'm thinking about it but also thinking about waiting for a holiday deal since its right around BF and Xmas

bread's done
Back