Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary - 11.15.11

Best case scenario is Halo PC ported into the Reach Engine with a completely new netcode to support Live. Ideally cross platform between 360 and PC.

ODST style Reach multiplayer disc set would be terrible. Reach sucks dick, it should stay as far away from Halo 1 as possible. The only reason I would want Halo 1 updated to HD is if it's going to include online multiplayer. I can play through Halo 1 campaign all day on my original disc. I don't need HD graphics to do that.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/04/halo-combat-evolved-hd/

"Joystiq has learned that the previously rumored remake of Halo: Combat Evolved will indeed launch this holiday season for Xbox 360 with a full visual overhaul. Sources explain that the re-release is not Bungie's 2001 Xbox game simply running at a higher resolution -- it's being remade with new art assets. While Halo's audio will likely remain unaltered, the controls will allow for more recent Halo configurations.

The Halo: Combat Evolved remake is allegedly being developed by New Jersey-based Saber Interactive, the company behind TimeShift and Namco's upcoming Inversion, but we've been unable to confirm the nature of the engine powering it. We understand that it's something other than the Reach engine.

The Halo: Combat Evolved update, one of two Halo games currently in development under the watchful eye of 343 Industries, is expected to support 1080p resolution and 3D televisions. Details on multiplayer are supposedly still being worked out, but we understand the remake will likely feature online co-op (the original game supported two-player split-screen co-op).

The game is expected to re-evolve on November 15, 2011, ten years after Halo: Combat Evolved launched alongside the Xbox. Our sources didn't know of any plans to similarly upgrade the recently disconnected Halo 2, but it's hard to imagine Microsoft playing favorites with its biggest franchise."

Very interesting to hear more about this, although being remade by the team who made TimeShift is a big minus.
I'd pick it up, but not at $60, which I'm guessing is what MS would release it at. H:CE/H2 for $60 I would do, but not just H:CE. Including online multiplayer is a must, also.

[quote name='myl0r']Very interesting to hear more about this, although being remade by the team who made TimeShift is a big minus.
I'd pick it up, but not at $60, which I'm guessing is what MS would release it at. H:CE/H2 for $60 I would do, but not just H:CE. Including online multiplayer is a must, also.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Halo 1/2 redone in HD with all the maps Live multiplayer and online co-op? Sold. Just Halo:CE? Better not be $60.

They're going to fuck it up. Just watch. Unless it's basically the same exact game just with updated graphics (which I don't believe is possible) it's going to be completely different from what we played 10 years ago.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']They're going to fuck it up. Just watch.[/QUOTE]

$59.99

There, it is done. Full price for a remake? No thanks.

I'll pick this up. I still think the first one had the best campaign. Would love to play again in a more pretty state. Wait, no, Ill rent it.

[quote name='KingBroly']$59.99

There, it is done. Full price for a remake? No thanks.[/QUOTE]

If it was literally, Halo 1 with NO updates at all, but with XBL support, I'd buy it.

But I know they're going to make a shit ton of changes to the gameplay to "balance" it.

Mark my words. Pistol will NOT be 3 shot kill and it's gonna be a fucking travesty.

[quote name='theredworm']I already have Halo CE, I don't see why they remake a 10 year old game and not make something new.[/QUOTE]

It's a great move honestly. 343 took over for Bungie, with them overseeing the remake it will get longtime fans adjusted to the new studio, and if done right will show that they have a lot of respect for the series. Plus it celebrates a milestone for the series and introduces people who started playing on the 360 how it all started. Delegating it to another studio that they oversee means they can put most of their resources into making the next Halo game.

Questionable things at this point are price, content, choice of studio to developed the game and of course what changes have been made. Honestly I think a remake will sell but I have a feeling people who are fans of the first will complain over any changes and if they don't then newer fans will complain about that. Damned if they do or if they don't. I've been playing through Halo 1 again recently with my wife, and I wouldn't mind a good studio try to do a little rebalancing of the enemy waves and so on.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']If it was literally, Halo 1 with NO updates at all, but with XBL support, I'd buy it.

But I know they're going to make a shit ton of changes to the gameplay to "balance" it.

Mark my words. Pistol will NOT be 3 shot kill and it's gonna be a fucking travesty.[/QUOTE]

Here's to hoping. Halo:CE Pistol 4 life.
Otherwise... time to hook back up xbconnect

and If they put in dual wielding i'll fucking kill myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xbconnect lmao nice.

This is interesting, if they have the original pistol, gernade/warthog trick, and online MP with Hang Em High. Thats worth 60 right there.

The rumor resurfaces...

Joystiq has learned that the previously rumored remake of Halo: Combat Evolved will indeed launch this holiday season for Xbox 360 with a full visual overhaul. Sources explain that the re-release is not Bungie's 2001 Xbox game simply running at a higher resolution -- it's being remade with new art assets. While Halo's audio will likely remain unaltered, the controls will allow for more recent Halo configurations.

The Halo: Combat Evolved remake is allegedly being developed by New Jersey-based Saber Interactive, the company behind TimeShift and Namco's upcoming Inversion, but we've been unable to confirm the nature of the engine powering it. We understand that it's something other than the Reach engine.

The Halo: Combat Evolved update, one of two Halo games currently in development under the watchful eye of 343 Industries, is expected to support 1080p resolution and 3D televisions. Details on multiplayer are supposedly still being worked out, but we understand the remake will likely feature online co-op (the original game supported two-player split-screen co-op).

The game is expected to re-evolve on November 15, 2011, ten years after Halo: Combat Evolved launched alongside the Xbox. Our sources didn't know of any plans to similarly upgrade the recently disconnected Halo 2, but it's hard to imagine Microsoft playing favorites with its biggest franchise.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/04/halo-combat-evolved-hd/

This is looking less and less of a rumor...hope it comes to fruition.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']If it was literally, Halo 1 with NO updates at all, but with XBL support, I'd buy it.

Mark my words. Pistol will NOT be 3 shot kill and it's gonna be a fucking travesty.[/QUOTE]

I would also be all over Halo 1 untouched with online matchmaking. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm also worried they'll change the TSK, hitboxes and remove leading with the sniper rifle/pistol. They really shouldn't be changing anything since H3 and Reach are there for people to play if they want to dual wield or use the plasma sword.

This still is very exciting news even though I'm skeptical they won't mess it up.

[quote name='mang9432']Here's to hoping. Halo:CE Pistol 4 life.
Otherwise... time to hook back up xbconnect

and If they put in dual wielding i'll fucking kill myself.[/QUOTE]
I don't think they'll put in dual wielding... You can't duel wield in Reach, so I don't know why they'd put it in the CE remake.

Please don't nerf the pistol!:cry: It worries me that this is being handled by a different team, but I know Bungie is moving on. For the nostalgia of playing online again in Halo 1, I'll check it out!

Not surprised, just another way to cash in on past work. I'm betting 2 will get the same treatment, which is even worse since that basically means 2 was taken offline so they could sell a revamped version.

[quote name='Clak']Not surprised, just another way to cash in on past work. I'm betting 2 will get the same treatment, which is even worse since that basically means 2 was taken offline so they could sell a revamped version.[/QUOTE]

While unlikely, if they keep everything the same in these games then I have no problem with that. If it's the same game with updated graphics, engine, and 360 support (party chat, etc.) then it will be worth it.

I never played the original Halo so I might be interested. I hated Halo 3 though (my one and only experience with the franchise) so maybe it just isn't for me...

I think the people who makes Gears of War should make it

Don't see the point if they aren't including online multiplayer. I wouldn't want to play just a prettied up version of the game I already own.

Nov 2011? Just around the same time Diablo 3 is supposed to launch? Hmmm...I smell success (for the game that has demon hunters and shamans)

[quote name='Kaelestis']Don't see the point if they aren't including online multiplayer. I wouldn't want to play just a prettied up version of the game I already own.[/QUOTE]
what Microsoft could do is HD versions of original xbox games, no one played "insert xbox game here"

[quote name='100xp']Nov 2011? Just around the same time Diablo 3 is supposed to launch? Hmmm...I smell success (for the game that has demon hunters and shamans)[/QUOTE]

...yeah, I'm sure Halo on the 360 is going to fail to sell when up against a PC-only release of a series that most younger kiddies haven't even played before.

I don't see how anyone can complain of a remake either way when God of War 1+2 got HD face lifts and were out just a few years ago. Halo 1 would have already been out 10 years, and looking at Halo 1 sales a lot of people skipped Halo 1 and went right to Halo 2/Halo 3.

GOW collection also did just over two million, I'd imagine this doing 7+ million easily.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I don't see how anyone can complain of a remake either way when God of War 1+2 got HD face lifts and were out just a few years ago. Halo 1 would have already been out 10 years, and looking at Halo 1 sales a lot of people skipped Halo 1 and went right to Halo 2/Halo 3.

GOW collection also did just over two million, I'd imagine this doing 7+ million easily.[/QUOTE]

People skipped Halo 1? http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=7139

Bungie says 5 million copies were sold as of November 2005. IDK where you pulled that incorrect fact out of your hat...

The only people who skipped Halo 1 were who bought an xbox when Halo 2 came out. Halo 1 was the only worthwhile xbox game for half of the console's life.

Should they even bother with any other weapons besides the pistol? The only thing I think worth re-releasing is the Halo 2 multiplayer. Halo 1 has already been re-released several times now.

[quote name='dastly75']Should they even bother with any other weapons besides the pistol? The only thing I think worth re-releasing is the Halo 2 multiplayer. Halo 1 has already been re-released several times now.[/QUOTE]

Not with XBL though.

I'll cry if the re-release Halo 2. It'll either be tears of joy if they do absolutely nothing with it but make it compatible with the 360 version of Live or tears of hatred and anger if they do anything besides MAYBE a graphical update.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']People skipped Halo 1? http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=7139

Bungie says 5 million copies were sold as of November 2005. IDK where you pulled that incorrect fact out of your hat...[/QUOTE]

More people bought Halo 2 then Halo 1, so yes people skipped Halo 1. Care to link me to sales figures that shows Halo 1 outsold Halo 2?

I didn't pull that correct fact out of my hat, but thanks for being a douche.

I know it's the 10 year anniversary and all that, but why not make it Halo 1 + 2 + all multiplayer maps? It's not like people can play it on XBL anymore. I also have to question the move since they're releasing Gears of War 3 just 2 months prior. Releasing Gears and Halo in the same year is not a smart move in my opinion.

[quote name='KingBroly']I know it's the 10 year anniversary and all that, but why not make it Halo 1 + 2 + all multiplayer maps? It's not like people can play it on XBL anymore. I also have to question the move since they're releasing Gears of War 3 just 2 months prior. Releasing Gears and Halo in the same year is not a smart move in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

But see it's not a NEW Halo game. It's just a remake. I wouldn't be surprised if it pulled ODST's numbers.

How is that skipping and not "building upon"? Without the huge success of Halo and the marketing push, how does Halo 2 even exist?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6456214/ns/technology_and_science-games/
(article states Halo 2 sells $125M on Day 1)
"Tuesday's sales figures would put "Halo 2" on track to easily beat out the first version of "Halo." That game debuted in November of 2001 and ranked eighth with sales of $149 million through September 2004, according to NPD."

A lot of people jump on, but that kind of excitement only happens because the first game did so well and basically sold the system for the beginning of it's lifespan.

I have some friends who are into the whole Halo Universe thing that are very excited for this. $60 seems steep, but let's see what the final product actually turns out to be like. They could add in a lot of fan service and extras, but who knows....we're finally out of the Bungie safety net.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']More people bought Halo 2 then Halo 1, so yes people skipped Halo 1. Care to link me to sales figures that shows Halo 1 outsold Halo 2?

I didn't pull that correct fact out of my hat, but thanks for being a douche.[/QUOTE]

More people bought the sequel to a hugely popular franchise? No way!

I never said Halo 1 outsold Halo 2. In fact, that link I posted from Bungie even says Halo 2 sold more than Halo 1. OF COURSE IT SOLD MORE.

You wrote your post in a manner that seemed to imply Halo 1 was simply passed over. The game sold 5-6 million copies, probably more when you add in digital copies and the PC version.

bread's done
Back