Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary - 11.15.11

They really better not try to add anything new.

Leave out that equipment and armor ability bulls**t, don't mess with the core gameplay. I don't play halo for the fancy gimmicks or killstreaks. They better not add killstreaks either.

It all felt so classic and pure.

Just remake the old game, make it up to HD standards, add a new level or two, rework the old MP maps and add a few, and you're done.

Halo 1 was fantastic with MP on PC. I'd love that experience on the consoles.

[quote name='The Holy Pretzle']They better not add killstreaks either.[/QUOTE]
They were in Halo:CE. There just wasn't a medal system, only the audible que.

As long as armor abilities aren't in the game, the melee system isn't retarded, and a real 1-50 ranking system is added, I'll be content with paying $60 for a remake.

[quote name='Pirate331']They were in Halo:CE. There just wasn't a medal system, only the audible que.[/QUOTE]

He means call of duty killstreaks. Like call in a helicopter after 7 kills straight. They won't implement that though, it doesn't fit in the Halo series.

I do wonder if they will add in a button for sprinting though, since it would help give the game a more modern pacing.

I bought my Xbox for Halo and then again played it on the PC at college for the online. If this comes out to be a widescreen HD, splitscreen co-op remake with achievements I'll be there.

[quote name='help1']He means call of duty killstreaks. Like call in a helicopter after 7 kills straight. They won't implement that though, it doesn't fit in the Halo series.

I do wonder if they will add in a button for sprinting though, since it would help give the game a more modern pacing.[/QUOTE]
Ah, of course. No way anything like that would be implemented.

As for sprinting, you can throw grenades across the map (I'm referencing Hang 'em High specifically) while the pistol can hit even further. It's hardly a slow-paced game.

[quote name='The Holy Pretzle']They really better not try to add anything new.

Leave out that equipment and armor ability bulls**t, don't mess with the core gameplay. I don't play halo for the fancy gimmicks or killstreaks. They better not add killstreaks either.

It all felt so classic and pure.

Just remake the old game, make it up to HD standards, add a new level or two, rework the old MP maps and add a few, and you're done.

Halo 1 was fantastic with MP on PC. I'd love that experience on the consoles.[/QUOTE]
Agreed.

This will have a big time nostalgia appeal to me so I wouldn't want them adding a whole bunch of stuff to it. Updating the graphics is cool with me, but I want to feel like I'm playing the original Halo.

Can't believe it's already been 10 years. I remember cutting class in school with my friend and walking to his house. We'd order some pizza and pop in Halo. Oh the fun I'd have just driving the warthog around. I'm definitley in for a remake as long as like others said theres not many improvements aside online play and HD.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']God of War 1+2 got HD face lifts and were out just a few years ago. Halo 1 would have already been out 10 years, and looking at Halo 1 sales a lot of people skipped Halo 1 and went right to Halo 2/Halo 3.

GOW collection also did just over two million, I'd imagine this doing 7+ million easily.[/QUOTE]

people were happy they got to play ps2 games on their none backwards ps3 :p

and these collections are mostly 2-3 games not just one

i wont buy this remake unless its halo 1 AND halo 2 together

why is halo 1 on pc still laggy after 7 years ?

I never played Halo. Is this going to be completely redone graphically and tweaks made to the levels/gameplay or just an HD upscale? If it is the latter I'll probably skip it but if they are bringing it up to today's standards I'll definitely check it out...

[quote name='Javery']I never played Halo. Is this going to be completely redone graphically and tweaks made to the levels/gameplay or just an HD upscale? If it is the latter I'll probably skip it but if they are bringing it up to today's standards I'll definitely check it out...[/QUOTE]

its more than an hd upscale. and if youve never played theres no reason to only play it if there were level tweaks, you wouldnt know anyway.

I don't expect it to be to today's standards. The trailer just did not make it look good enough. I hope it's good, but I fear it'll be a mess.

[quote name='Javery']I never played Halo. Is this going to be completely redone graphically and tweaks made to the levels/gameplay or just an HD upscale? If it is the latter I'll probably skip it but if they are bringing it up to today's standards I'll definitely check it out...[/QUOTE]

I saw something on Spike after the MS show where a 343 guy said you'd actually be able to "turn off" the HD updated graphics during the game...so it's probably going to be pretty close to the original as far as gameplay.

That said, the multiplayer will be based on the Reach engine.

I'll probably get it - the same guy also said they envision it as a lower-priced title (I'm guessing 40).

[quote name='The Holy Pretzle']They really better not try to add anything new.[/QUOTE]

I don't think Halo has ever had that problem.

Looks like MP maps will be for Reach:

A total of six multiplayer maps from Halo: Combat Evolved will be playable in Halo: Reach's online multiplayer along with Halo 2's "Damnation." Halo: CE Anniversary will not support Xbox Live multiplayer whatsoever (outside of co-op). These maps are for loading into Halo: Reach (think: ODST), according to comments made by 343 Industries' Frank O'Connor on Spike TV. He also said it will be a budget-priced game.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/06/halo-combat-evolved-anniversary-multiplayer-maps-are-for-halo/

Not sure how I feel about that, but I do own the game so I guess it really won't affect me.

Trailer for those of you who haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PqUQKe7BaQ&feature=player_embedded

It's been confirmed that the game does not include the actual Halo CE multiplayer component, just BS DLC for Reach. There is no really no point for this to exist now.

343i even made a great decision to retain the original physics, gun properties and included the option to switch between updated and original graphics in single player on the fly which is pretty genius. I would have gladly paid 60 for a bare bones CE with no updates outside of live support, now there is now way I'm spending 5 bucks on the game with just Reach DLC. What an abortion. Welcome back Xbox Connect.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='paz9x']its more than an hd upscale. and if youve never played theres no reason to only play it if there were level tweaks, you wouldnt know anyway.[/QUOTE]

I would assume that there are way better FPS games to spend my time (and money) on than something that is 10 years old. I mean, Goldeneye was awesome in 1997 but you couldn't pay me to play an HD upscaled version of that game today.

I'm not too impressed with this. This is just like those $40 HD collections of previous generation games that are all the rage right now EXCEPT this is just ONE game for $40. In 10 years I would have expected more than a resolution update. Take a look at Resident Evil 1 from 1996 and then the Gamecube remake in 2002. Now THAT was an upgrade and only six years later too.

it's kind of lame that there is no matchmaking, but i can see where they would want to skip that. i mean there is team classic, which is pretty much the same thing.

disappointing, but i'm excited.

[quote name='Javery']I would assume that there are way better FPS games to spend my time (and money) on than something that is 10 years old. I mean, Goldeneye was awesome in 1997 but you couldn't pay me to play an HD upscaled version of that game today.[/QUOTE]

I would say the single player mode in Halo 1 is better than 2, 3, or Reach

So it looks like they're using the reach engine, but no online MP; any MP maps will be part of reach not this game. If Coop is possible via online (so my friend(s) and I can complete levels online) that would be very nice. Regardless, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be taking 11/16 off and going to a midnight release of this.

[quote name='62t']I would say the single player mode in Halo 1 is better than 2, 3, or Reach[/QUOTE]

I think reach is the best, but i dont think youre far off.

[quote name='mig0']So it looks like they're using the reach engine, but no online MP; any MP maps will be part of reach not this game. If Coop is possible via online (so my friend(s) and I can complete levels online) that would be very nice. Regardless, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be taking 11/16 off and going to a midnight release of this.[/QUOTE]

Co-op is online

To clear up all confusion:

What is being released is a direct port of Halo 1's campaign with updated graphics (which can be switched on the fly with the original graphics) and online co-op.

There is no Halo 1 multiplayer. Seven out of the thirteen Halo 1 maps with new graphics will be included as an add-on to Halo Reach.

The only non-graphical upgrade we are getting for $40 is online co-op.

It is NOT merely a vocal minority that wants an online port of Halo 1's multiplayer.

Everyone who's played it knows that Halo 1 has the best maps, the remakes of which can't do justice to the originals because the gameplay they were designed for isn't there.

Many people went to the effort to get together 4 CRT TV's, four Xbox 1's, 4 game discs, 16 controllers, and the necessary network cables back in the day to get the full experience.

The reason behind this betrayal to the franchise (Halo 1 was designed with online in mind, but XBL wasn't available at launch) is numbers - a good chunk of the Halo community will simply not buy Halo 4 if the original multiplayer experience is available to them.

The Halo 4 beta will likely piggyback on this. I'd be very interested in knowing what the sales figures without that inclusion would be... :whistle2:k

[quote name='TurboChickenMan']
Everyone who's played it knows that Halo 1 has the best maps, the remakes of which can't do justice to the originals because the gameplay they were designed for isn't there.

Many people went to the effort to get together 4 CRT TV's, four Xbox 1's, 4 game discs, 16 controllers, and the necessary network cables back in the day to get the full experience.

The Halo 4 beta will likely piggyback on this. I'd be very interested in knowing what the sales figures without that inclusion would be... :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

I think halo 2 mp is better, and the best in the series.

I'd like to see them go all out and include a second disc with all Halo 1 AND 2 multiplayer maps playable via Xbox Live, with updated graphics but the same gameplay.

I was really looking forward to Halo CE multiplayer with updated graphics. The return of the glorious 3-shot pistol. While it's nice that we'll be getting some of the maps in Reach, I can't help but say I'm a little let down.

I have many fond memories of getting together with friends in high school with the above mentioned scenario - 4 CRT TVs, 4 Xboxes, 16 controllers. What was even better is my Freshman year of college. Since all of the dorms on campus were on one giant network, you could connect your Xbox the ethernet port in your room and play anyone on campus lag free. What's even better is there was a match ready almost any time of the day. It was a truly incredible experience.

It's kind of a cop-out that 343 Industries is saying they don't want to release CE's multiplayer because they don't want to split the community. There's plenty of players out there for the games to co-exist.

35ndnhi.gif

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']I'd like to see them go all out and include a second disc with all Halo 1 AND 2 multiplayer maps playable via Xbox Live, with updated graphics but the same gameplay.[/QUOTE]

that would be nice.

Halo 2 MP > Halo 1 MP.

That said, Halo Reach multiplayer can be tweaked like crazy to fit the maps just fine. Go check out the Team Classic playlist if you want a taste. I'm willing to bet they'll have a Halo CE playlist specifically for this map pack. I don't want 343 wasting their time on Halo CE multiplayer when they can be working on Halo 4's multiplayer.

I think I'm gonna pass on this till it hits $20 or less. No multiplayer of Halo 1 is a huge bummer and lame decision imho.

Disappointed that there's no multiplayer. Might as well scrap the project imo. Already beat Halo 1 campaign 20+ times with and without friends. Nothing new there to be had. The inclusion of 7 maps is lame because Reach sucks so it's pointless for someone who doesn't like/play/have Reach.

Oh well, maybe Halo 4 will be good but I doubt it.

No (original CE) MP? fuck that!

Seriously. Halo CE campaign sucked, as have all Halo campaigns! (I will give a small nod to Halo 2's...but not much.) Following that dick around the Library? Pass.

This would've been a day 1 buy for me had it been original multiplayer with a facelift. But now, for the real Halo anniversary, I'm gonna try to invite the guys over to LAN the original CE across four TV's. That's what Halo CE was all about.

[quote name='paz9x']I think halo 2 mp is better, and the best in the series.[/QUOTE]

this isn't halo 2 anniversary. and I'd disagree.

[quote name='dastly75']I don't want 343 wasting their time on Halo CE multiplayer when they can be working on Halo 4's multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

I do want them "wasting their time" on CE's multiplayer, it's the whole point of this re-release. There is a huge disconnect in the way they treated the single player and they way they are treating the multi. The single player they left untouched, literally adding a graphical layer over the original engine so the game play IDENTICALLY with the addition of online co-op. All I (and many others) wanted was for them to do the same thing with multiplayer. I wouldn't even care if they didn't have sophisticated matchmaking, or matchmaking at all.

All i'm saying is that this treatment of the multiplayer is a huge misstep in terms of re-releasing a graphically beefed-up, true to the original classic with online support today, and I won't be buying it. I've played reach multiplayer and didn't' care for it.

If anyone wants to play real CE multiplayer, I'm going to be playing on XBConnect over the next few nights, and hopefully for a while. My name on XBConnect is "lowfatevan", feel free to message me if you see me on and we'll play.

[quote name='mang9432']I do want them "wasting their time" on CE's multiplayer, it's the whole point of this re-release. [/QUOTE]

Apparently not. umad

Wow, so they are just taking the maps and putting them into REACH!? Sucks. I loved the oldschool multiplayer as we would system link them up.

I was really looking forward to this but what a disappointment. I have very little interest in playing anymore Reach. Plus Reach doesnt really need more small maps and it has decent forge remakes anyway. Too bad they didnt throw in a couple bonus Halo 2 maps in there.

[quote name='62t']I would say the single player mode in Halo 1 is better than 2, 3, or Reach[/QUOTE]

Well that's good. I've only played 3 and I didn't really like it (I have a copy of Reach from the MS disc trial thing but haven't tried it yet!).

MS really shit the bed on this. The fact that this is essentially a re-skinned Halo 1, with all the same geometry and then having them say that there's no MP at all is just a kick to my nuts.

They obviously had the resources to re-skin all of the original H1 MP maps and just make it XBL enabled, but noooooooo, they make them into DLC packs for Reach.

fuck off.

bread's done
Back