Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary - 11.15.11

[quote name='AshesofWake']if they just added new graphics to multiplayer then everybody would only use the pistol and bitching would commence forever.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Which is exactly what true Halo 1 MP fans want. If you don't want that, you most likely never enjoyed Halo 1 MP, which is fine, people can still play H3 and Reach.

I don't see the issue here of splitting up the audience because the games are EXTREMELY different.

Haha, what mod was sad enough to delete my other post; it was completely valid.

I'm actually glad to see the maps go to Reach. Halo 1 multi would've been kind of cool, but it makes sense for them to put the maps in Reach.

I see alot of comments about just adding the maps to reach mp. did they say if it will be handled like odst as a standalone product?

[quote name='paz9x']I see alot of comments about just adding the maps to reach mp. did they say if it will be handled like odst as a standalone product?[/QUOTE]

That seems to be the way they're going with it.

[quote name='saunderscowie']Is there still online co-op though?[/QUOTE]

Yes, pretty sure I either read or heard confirmation on this. The online component will consist of co-op gameplay only.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Yes, pretty sure I either read or heard confirmation on this. The online component will consist of co-op gameplay only.[/QUOTE]

yeah, that was in the e3 video.

So a few things, I know some of this hasn't been announced, but doesn't hurt to ask:

1) Is there matchmaking for online co-op? Probably not, I know, it'll probably be like Halo 3's campaign where you have to invite friends. Also, it's only 2-players still right?

2) So the Halo 1 maps are on the disc, but will be for reach. So, will it be like ODST where it's Reach MP only, with all DLC, plus reach maps. I know this wasn't announced, but it'd be nice.

3) Will those maps for reach just be new maps for reach or will it be Halo HD style visuals? I know it sounds dumb, but was just curious.

4) Will we be able to play the updated campaign visuals with a friend? I thought I read something that said that wasn't available.

(Again, I know some of this probably hasn't been answered and even may sound dumb, but I have been busy with work, so I haven't had a lot of time to really look around).

Thanks in advance. :)

[quote name='Incubus']So a few things, I know some of this hasn't been announced, but doesn't hurt to ask:

1) Is there matchmaking for online co-op? Probably not, I know, it'll probably be like Halo 3's campaign where you have to invite friends. Also, it's only 2-players still right?

2) So the Halo 1 maps are on the disc, but will be for reach. So, will it be like ODST where it's Reach MP only, with all DLC, plus reach maps. I know this wasn't announced, but it'd be nice.

3) Will those maps for reach just be new maps for reach or will it be Halo HD style visuals? I know it sounds dumb, but was just curious.

4) Will we be able to play the updated campaign visuals with a friend? I thought I read something that said that wasn't available.

(Again, I know some of this probably hasn't been answered and even may sound dumb, but I have been busy with work, so I haven't had a lot of time to really look around).

Thanks in advance. :)[/QUOTE]
1) Probably no matchmaking, I think it would be 4 player co-op like
Reach.

2) I hope so, but I doubt it.

3) What they showed looked like Reach graphics, not shitty Halo 1 HD.

4) I have not heard of anything like this. If it's the truth then that's stupid.

will they not even be including the original multiplayer offline? i can understand not being able to play it on xbox live against people (i guess), but at least give it to us so we can play 4 player versus on the couch or something

I was watching G4's E3 coverage and they said that it will be $39.99 at release. Might just be low enough for me, but I doubt it with all of the other games coming out this fall.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']will they not even be including the original multiplayer offline? i can understand not being able to play it on xbox live against people (i guess), but at least give it to us so we can play 4 player versus on the couch or something[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone knows on that. I hope they include some demos and videos of upcoming games (lol). Does anyone remember playing the Fusion Frenzy demo on their original Halo disc? That was an awesome demo

As someone who missed out on the last console generation but thoroughly enjoys the 360 Halo games I'm really liking Anniversary. It's fun to be able to see the classic graphics on the fly and see just how massive of an improvement the visuals have gotten. Some of the unclear objectives are a little frustrating after being conditioned to more modern games but it's an all-new Halo adventure to me. I can't really judge it for someone who played the original.

Is anyone else playing this? I'm really pleased that 343 added the online campaign co-op but, unfortunately, they went the ODST Firefight route of only being able to play with friends and no matchmaking. I don't really have any friends who are playing this at the moment. I'm working on the missions solo right now to get familiar with them but I'd like to do a Legendary playthrough after that. I won't be able to use a mic but if you'd like to go through these at least 1 or 2 at a time feel free to add me and let me know.

So, I've seen a ton of conflicting reports on the MP...what's the deal with it? I'm guessing it's LAN capable? It's newfangled MP (Reach) simply with the old maps skinned on? Are there jetpacks and crap in the MP?

My buddies and I are having a gaming night this Friday before we head to Vegas. We were either gonna rent a bunch of copies of this to play, or, simply dust off our original Xbox's and play old-school. (I want to go the old route.)

So correct me if I'm wrong here.

- you can play reach multiplayer with the classic maps right from the anniversary disk.

- the code that comes with the anniversary game is to play the classic maps if you throw in Reach so everything is together.

[quote name='seanr1221']So correct me if I'm wrong here.

- you can play reach multiplayer with the classic maps right from the anniversary disk.

- the code that comes with the anniversary game is to play the classic maps if you throw in Reach so everything is together.[/QUOTE]
I think this is correct, though I've heard that some of the new achievements will only unlock if you redeem the code and play from the Reach disc, since they require the Defiant maps and those can't be accessed from the Anniversary disc.

Anyone preorder this from Amazon? Does the preorder bonus code come in the box or in an email?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Anyone preorder this from Amazon? Does the preorder bonus code come in the box or in an email?[/QUOTE]
Got my copy from them yesterday. The codes were in the game's case.

Can you load the Halo Reach game and still have access to the new maps if you've downloaded them? I think it'll be better having full access to every map option rather than being restricted to just the anniversary ones on the game disc.

[quote name='blueshinra']Got my copy from them yesterday. The codes were in the game's case.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, mine came with a slipcover that states the pre-order bonus stuff is in the box, so there might be cases like this at stores for those who didn't pre-order.

Also, it comes with two codes for Master Chief skins. One is for males and the other is for females. So if you have a spouse, significant other or friend of the opposite sex that likes Halo you can give them the code to use.

Loving the remake so far. Shelved everything in favor of playing it first. Probably won't play anything until I get the full 1K, which I think should be tonight or tomorrow. :D

As far as multiplayer:

• The code to download the maps is in the box. Those maps are useable with the Reach disc in or can be accessed in CE. I was playing around looking at the maps in a custom game and my buddy who had redeemed his codes put his Reach disc in and joined so you can play on those maps from either Reach or Anniversary
  • CE has multiplayer capability but only for the Anniversary Maps, so if you want to play full Reach MP, you have to use your Reach disc.
  • The map remakes are fucking awesome!! The subtle changes to Beaver Creek are awesome and the map will be fun as hell in matchmaking.

Also to note: The boom skull is ri-goddamn-diculous. The blast radius for nades and rockets is HUGE. The grunt explosion skull combined with that makes for some pretty huge explosions. Can't wait to play 2 of my favorite levels in all of Halo: The Library & The Maw. :D

I am currently on 343 Guilty Spark. I have to wait for my co-op partner though. We are gunning to finish this off tonight :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Vendetta, your post just got em super excited to play more of this game. I only had time for the Pillar of Autumn last night since the UPS guy got here so late.

I already posted in the Reach thread, but it's probably more appropriate here: has anyone else experienced tremendous lag while playing co-op over live? I'm talking practically unplayable for the non-host. My friend and I started up PoA, he hosted, and I couldn't hit anything with a weapon that wasn't automatic. We switched hosts at the start of Halo, and he experienced the same thing while my play was baby smooth after the switch.

We play lots of co-op over live in other games, and there's never any trouble. It does not reflect well on 343, if they cannot make co-op a relatively seamless experience; it was just awful. I don't think we'll play co-op again until a patch is released.

[quote name='Pirate331']I already posted in the Reach thread, but it's probably more appropriate here: has anyone else experienced tremendous lag while playing co-op over live? I'm talking practically unplayable for the non-host. My friend and I started up PoA, he hosted, and I couldn't hit anything with a weapon that wasn't automatic. We switched hosts at the start of Halo, and he experienced the same thing while my play was baby smooth after the switch.

We play lots of co-op over live in other games, and there's never any trouble. It does not reflect well on 343, if they cannot make co-op a relatively seamless experience; it was just awful. I don't think we'll play co-op again until a patch is released.[/QUOTE]

I joined a game earlier today and I felt slightly noticeable input lag and somewhat jerky framerates. I shrugged these off as I wasn't quite sure how the game played originally, but I might have to test how the game plays solo then.

I'm up for any Legendary co-op. I've completed the first 2 missions but I'm open for anything, especially for achievements.

[quote name='Pirate331']I already posted in the Reach thread, but it's probably more appropriate here: has anyone else experienced tremendous lag while playing co-op over live? I'm talking practically unplayable for the non-host. My friend and I started up PoA, he hosted, and I couldn't hit anything with a weapon that wasn't automatic. We switched hosts at the start of Halo, and he experienced the same thing while my play was baby smooth after the switch.

We play lots of co-op over live in other games, and there's never any trouble. It does not reflect well on 343, if they cannot make co-op a relatively seamless experience; it was just awful. I don't think we'll play co-op again until a patch is released.[/QUOTE]

I tried to play with a friend of mine last night and we both experienced horrible lag no matter who hosted. I mean this lag made the game unplayable. It was even lagging in the cut scenes. We installed the game to see if that would help but it didn't. We played for about 10 minutes with the lag to see if it would get any better and it didn't.

So we decided to play Gears. We play co-op games all the time and we have never had lag this bad. I really hope they fix this soon.
I can't believe they released the game like this.

I am extremely impressed with 343's artists. Their DLC maps are excellent and have some of the best art I've seen in games. This remake is gorgeous and I can't wait to see what they cook up for Halo 4.

so are you saying 343i did a great job on taking bungie's art direction and vision by adding a fine polish on it? I admit the stuff looks great but they had a really solid foundation to build from.

[quote name='100xp']so are you saying 343i did a great job on taking bungie's art direction and vision by adding a fine polish on it? I admit the stuff looks great but they had a really solid foundation to build from.[/QUOTE]
Everything looks great, except one thing: Keys' mouth. His upper jaw is HUGE in cutscenes. He looks ridiculous.

The online lag is horrible :whistle2:( My buddy who lives a few miles from me, and I couldn't get a lag free game in. I guess we will have to wait till the weekend and just LAN the damned thing and not have to deal with input lag.

[quote name='Pirate331']Everything looks great, except one thing: Keys' mouth. His upper jaw is HUGE in cutscenes. He looks ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
I kept picturing Nemesis when he talked

Do the anniversary maps actually show up often in matchmaking? I've been really disappointed with the last two DLC packs that Reach had, as the new maps barely made the rotation.

I'll be finishing up the final two missions tonight and then I'd like to do at least Pillar of Autumn on Legendary co-op to get the numerous achievements. I'll have all of the skulls unlocked so we could even turn 3 on (I'm thinking Bandanna, Pinata, and Grunt Birthday Party or Funeral) to get that one, too. I probably won't have the time to go through the entire campaign but if you'd like to run through Pillar of Autumn tonight or any late night feel free to add me and let me know.

That Bandanna skull was just awful to get for me with a grenade jump and I finally resorted to going back through the level entirely just to have a rocket launcher. It took me a half-dozen tries or so with that but I did get it. While it makes the game much easier it's just fun to run around the later levels with unlimited grenades, rockets, and shotgun blasts. I'm not sure I could have tolerated the Flood sections without it.

[quote name='gubmccargen']I'm not sure I could have tolerated the Flood sections without it.[/QUOTE]
Modifiers that make the game easier are for pussies. Halo: CE on Legendary isn't even hard. Now, if you want to just dick around that's fine, but it's not like you're playing Halo 2 on Legendary; that is fucking ridiculous.

Pirate, no need to be such an elitist. I play games to have fun and be entertained. It isn't like it was when I was 12 and could play a level of Mega Man a dozen times after school if it gave me trouble. I don't have that much gaming time available so I just do what is enjoyable for me.

That being said, I played through "The Library" without skulls but since I went back and got Bandanna why not see what it's like? It's a challenge to get the skulls themselves. I would say the only advantage it really gave me was in the rocket launcher, which presents a significant danger as well since you can't really use it in tight corridors. I can usually find enough shotgun shells and grenades anyway.

Again, if anyone wants to run through Pillar of Autumn Legendary co-op just let me know.

[quote name='gubmccargen']Pirate, no need to be such an elitist. I play games to have fun and be entertained. It isn't like it was when I was 12 and could play a level of Mega Man a dozen times after school if it gave me trouble. I don't have that much gaming time available so I just do what is enjoyable for me.

That being said, I played through "The Library" without skulls but since I went back and got Bandanna why not see what it's like? It's a challenge to get the skulls themselves. I would say the only advantage it really gave me was in the rocket launcher, which presents a significant danger as well since you can't really use it in tight corridors. I can usually find enough shotgun shells and grenades anyway.

Again, if anyone wants to run through Pillar of Autumn Legendary co-op just let me know.[/QUOTE]

Added you.

[quote name='menikmati']Added you.[/QUOTE]

Great, just approved it. My hours are pretty strange at the moment so I'm usually around about this time every night. I'll look for you tomorrow or any night and vice-versa when you feel like doing it as well. I figure we could turn on the 3 skulls and avoid the overshield to get at least that first level done. It would be great to get the no-damage one but that might prove tough.

[quote name='gubmccargen']Pirate, no need to be such an elitist. I play games to have fun and be entertained.[/QUOTE]

Same here, granted I usually play games on the hardest setting, I'm considering just running through Halo on normal since I've already played it a few times since launch(on Heroic and Legendary). I've got nothing to prove, but I do have a pile of other games I want to play as well and don't want to waste time beating my head against a wall by getting stuck on a 10 year old game.

[quote name='Pirate331']Modifiers that make the game easier are for pussies. Halo: CE on Legendary isn't even hard. Now, if you want to just dick around that's fine, but it's not like you're playing Halo 2 on Legendary; that is fucking ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
i have had halo 1 since 2001 i have not beat it on legendary on solo

i have beat halo 3 and halo odst and halo reach all solo on legendary

stop lieing about halo 1 being easy on legendary.

Quick question regarding the pre-order bonus: I pre-ordered the game from Newegg, and the game arrived on Wednesday. I never received any email from Newegg containing the pre-order code for the avatar armor. Is the code packed inside the box, or did Newegg fail to email my code to me? Thanks!

bread's done
Back