Halo: Reach

[quote name='Matt Young']Nah, they've specified that they thought I was really a black man. Even friends of friends thought so, LOL> I still don't get it.

LinkinPrime- RE: headsets. I do that for most games, but I've met many good online friends- 3 who I met in person later on- through Halo2, so I don't want to cut off that opportunity.

EDIT: Panda, grenades were spammed just as much in halo 3,. from my experience.[/QUOTE]

Yep. I mentioned earlier in my post that Halo 3 was a piece of shit too, but it wasn't from the grenade spam. The H3 AR is retardedly overpowered. If its an AR versus BR fight ONLY, no melee no grenades, the AR wins. WTF is that? The noob simply holding down the R trigger with the AR versus the guy aiming and placing his shots using the BR deserves to win because the guy with the BR doesn't have enough time to get that 5th kill shot in? Its just dumb.

But at least in Halo 3, the grenades were not fucking mini tactical nukes like they are in Reach. The damage and radius of grenades in H3 was balanced and was neither underpowered or overpowered.

I just don't see it. As for the radius, yes- that has been increased. But I have seen no increase in the damage. At full health/shield, one grenade hit will drain your shields, as it should. if your shields are not full, a grenade will probably kill you.

[quote name='Matt Young']I just don't see it. As for the radius, yes- that has been increased. But I have seen no increase in the damage. At full health/shield, one grenade hit will drain your shields, as it should. if your shields are not full, a grenade will probably kill you.[/QUOTE]

My issues lie with the radius. I can't seem to get fucking far away enough to not take damage.

I haven't had a chance to test the damage. But I feel like they have been increased as well. In Halo 2 and Halo 3, because there was no health, it would just knock your shields off if the grenades go off at your feet.

This? If a grenade lands at your feet, you lose your shields + substantial health. Thus, even if you have full shield, but you have limited health, you still die.

If they got rid of the health (which they really fucking should, there's a reason why games don't use it anymore) I'd have less of an issue.

i hate more that guys survive my grenades that are under their feet. yet i get killed instantly from their grenades (with full shields and health! by the way)

I can't use armor lock for shit. I thought you have like a second of invincibility when you deploy the EMP? I've stood behind someone doing it and I couldn't assassinate them once they did the EMP blast, yet when I do it, I die as soon as I let go of the button.

[quote name='Mako1215']fuck the fact that you can't use any special armor stuff while you have the flag.[/QUOTE]

You're kidding, right? While it would be cool to use the jetpack, scout run, or invisibility while carrying the flag, it would make things horribly unbalanced. The "guard" maneuver, however, would be acceptable and helpful in my opinion.

[quote name='menikmati']I can't use armor lock for shit. I thought you have like a second of invincibility when you deploy the EMP? I've stood behind someone doing it and I couldn't assassinate them once they did the EMP blast, yet when I do it, I die as soon as I let go of the button.[/QUOTE]

I can't use the Guard lockout either(sucessfully).

I have noticed several times that I have been able to assassinate people using guard. I am not sure if that is a glitch or just great timing.

i killed a guy after using guard who was positioned to assassinate me. i laughed becuase i came out of guard, turned , beatdown, and he died. i was like hahahah then i realized i probably weakened his shields.

[quote name='Matt Young']You're kidding, right? While it would be cool to use the jetpack, scout run, or invisibility while carrying the flag, it would make things horribly unbalanced. The "guard" maneuver, however, would be acceptable and helpful in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

SCOUT would definitely stop douchebags from doing the "flag dropped, flag stolen, flag dropped, stolen ....

[quote name='Matt Young']You're kidding, right? While it would be cool to use the jetpack, scout run, or invisibility while carrying the flag, it would make things horribly unbalanced. The "guard" maneuver, however, would be acceptable and helpful in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

No I'm not. Maybe Stalker would make it extremely unfair, but I've seen plenty of people get shot out of the sky using a Jetpack.

I would see nothing wrong with it. Another thing to use in strategy. Plan to use, and plan against it.

You can't really do that, though. Say it's your standard attack/defend/attack/defend CTF game. When defending, most people use guard. The team trying to capture would use scout.

Then, if the offensive team somehow managed to capture the flag, the defenders would have no chance whatsoever at catching the scout flag carrier.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']
But at least in Halo 3, the grenades were not fucking mini tactical nukes like they are in Reach.[/QUOTE]

This.

That being said, enjoying this quite a bit. Rolling through people like some buddies and me used to in 2 and 3.

Anyone else using the Armor Lock as a distraction? Works on CTF to steal the flag every time

Melee is completely worthless in this game. I can unload 2 full clips of an SMG into a guy, melee him twice, and he still doesn't die.

I prefer the new needler thing and the gun that shoots plasma grenades.

[quote name='Matt Young']Melee is completely worthless in this game. I can unload 2 full clips of an SMG into a guy, melee him twice, and he still doesn't die.

I prefer the new needler thing and the gun that shoots plasma grenades.[/QUOTE]

Melee is a one hit kill for anyone that doesn't have shields. Melee won't kill if their shields are up. Any shield will protect from a OHK melee, 1% or 100%.

Anyone know the locations of the power weapons on the maps? I only know the rockets in Powerhouse are in the water.

[quote name='menikmati']Melee is a one hit kill for anyone that doesn't have shields. Melee won't kill if their shields are up. Any shield will protect from a OHK melee, 1% or 100%.

Anyone know the locations of the power weapons on the maps? I only know the rockets in Powerhouse are in the water.[/QUOTE]

grenade launcher in the shower stall

That's really fucking stupid. A guy with no health and 1% shields should not survive tripping over his own shoelaces, much less a big fucking gun to the head.

[quote name='CaptainKirk']grenade launcher in the shower stall[/QUOTE]

Thanks, gravity hammer is also on the room directly to the right of the stairs with a medkit.

[quote name='menikmati']Melee is a one hit kill for anyone that doesn't have shields. Melee won't kill if their shields are up. Any shield will protect from a OHK melee, 1% or 100%.

Anyone know the locations of the power weapons on the maps? I only know the rockets in Powerhouse are in the water.[/QUOTE]

I'll describe things in terms of 1 Flag CTF, as I find it the easiest to do that. On Powerhouse:
1.) The focus rifle is off the left of the attackers/right of the defenders. It's by those orange arch things.
2.) The grenade launcher is in the little building with stairs and what seems to be a shower room or something. It's on the bottom floor, behind the stairs, in where the showers would be. Hopefully that makes sense.
3.) Not sure where the grav hammer spawns.

On Sword Base:
1.) The plasma launcher is on the bridge in the middle of the map, roughly on the third level.
2.) The sword is on the side opposite from where the flag, up on the second level. The room has a giant opening that you can use to fire into the middle of the arena.
3.) The shotgun is the one level above the sword, almost directly above it. It is underneath the stairs.
4.) The sniper is on the bottom level by the two stone columns on the side of the map. It's relatively near the grav lift.

I hope what I said made sense, as it's a little hard for me to describe it without looking at the place at the same time.

[quote name='Matt Young']Melee is completely worthless in this game. I can unload 2 full clips of an SMG into a guy, melee him twice, and he still doesn't die.

I prefer the new needler thing and the gun that shoots plasma grenades.[/QUOTE]

1. The melee is completely overpowered in this game.

2. There is no SMG.

3. Two melees will kill a guy with full shields, let alone one with two assault rifle clips in him already.

[quote name='Schmackledorf']
3.) Not sure where the grav hammer spawns.

I hope what I said made sense, as it's a little hard for me to describe it without looking at the place at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, found that to be a lot of help.

Gravity hammer: From the attacking side, go directly up the stairs and go towards the right. The first room you hit has the Gravity Hammer inside on the right.

[quote name='Trakan']1. The melee is completely overpowered in this game.

2. There is no SMG.

3. Two melees will kill a guy with full shields, let alone one with two assault rifle clips in him already.[/QUOTE]

1. It's far weaker than it was in Halo 3.

2. Okay, well whatever the default gun is. It looks and acts just like an SMG.

3. That's simply not true. I, along with people in my party, have melee'd guys twice after shooting them, and they didn't die. Perhaps 2 melee attacks from behind would do it, but not otherwise.

The melee does kill enemies in just 2 hits. I've done it a hundred times, and I've had it done to me twice as much as that. It's quicker and more effective (aka cheaper and lamer) than Halo 3's melee.

[quote name='Matt Young']1. It's far weaker than it was in Halo 3.

2. Okay, well whatever the default gun is. It looks and acts just like an SMG.

3. That's simply not true. I, along with people in my party, have melee'd guys twice after shooting them, and they didn't die. Perhaps 2 melee attacks from behind would do it, but not otherwise.[/QUOTE]

I can't tell if this statement is even real. Have you ever played a Halo game before? A melee from behind is an assassination, which is a one hit kill. No, I'm not talking about the new drawn out assassination animation either. The melee is not weaker than it was in Halo 3. If someone has even 1% shields remaining, it won't take off the shield and the health anymore, it will just take off the remaining shields. Also, two melees = death. Period.

I thought they were supposed to balance melee this time around?

Anyone know if the Halo 2 - Reach Beta codes are unique to gamertags? I got an extra one I was gonna give my wife for her xbox so we could play together... maybe.

[quote name='Trakan']I can't tell if this statement is even real. Have you ever played a Halo game before? A melee from behind is an assassination, which is a one hit kill. No, I'm not talking about the new drawn out assassination animation either. The melee is not weaker than it was in Halo 3. If someone has even 1% shields remaining, it won't take off the shield and the health anymore, it will just take off the remaining shields. Also, two melees = death. Period.[/QUOTE]

I wish I had the ability to record game footage to show you. I know what I saw. 2 melees did not kill the guys. It happened at least a dozen times. Melees from behind? Yes, they are one hit kills.

[quote name='Matt Young']I wish I had the ability to record game footage to show you. I know what I saw. 2 melees did not kill the guys. It happened at least a dozen times. Melees from behind? Yes, they are one hit kills.[/QUOTE]

2 melees = kill.

There's nothing else to be said. Sorry.

Upload these mysterious double melees that don't equal a kill to your file share.

Can you do file sharing in the beta? If you can, I wasn't aware.

Like I said, my teammates witnessed it. They weren't from CAG, though. But just a while ago, I did play with a CAG- EastX. he can attest to the truth of my statements.

Several times, I had the following occur:

*I empty half a clip of the default rifle into a guy's chest*
*I melee the guy*
*I shoot him some more as he shoots me and tosses grenades*
*I melee him again*
*He shoots me once and I die*

So you can say it doesn't happen. Maybe it isn't supposed to happen. I fully believe that you have not seen it. But it has happened to me and people I have played with.

On the positive side (even though I died) I saw something awesome: A guy assassinated me as we were both in midair. That was pretty awesome. I complimented him afterward.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 melee hits kill people. I do it all the time.

Why do people keep complaining about the graphics? What multiplayer game has great graphics? MW 2? No. BFBC 2? Not really. So what's the problem? The SP graphics will be better but they can only do so much with multiplayer graphics until the framerate and lag becomes to much. Better graphics = slower framerate. No shooters will have graphics comparable to their SP in their multiplayer

[quote name='LinkinPrime']What 20K cr helmet?

BTW nice gamertag card...didn't know they made those available.[/QUOTE]

yea apparently they do just saw it on mlg forums and the helmet i'm referring to is the third tier of the third helmet down. Dunno its name but it has antenna and doorknobs on both sides of the head.

For this arguement about two hit melees, I will say that once in a while I notice that if a guy and I hit each other, there's a weird clunking noise-- like we hit each other's elbows or something. Unfortunately, every time I've died right away so I can't tell if a second hit would have killed the guy. It does seem like though, when this happens, the other guy's shields don't seem to be damaged (no fizzling visibly or anything)

I've never done it, but I hear that apparently you can knock back someone in the middle of a sword lunge thus preventing them from getting the instant kill on you. Might be a similar mechanic w/ regular beat downs?

That's not what's he referring to. You can block a sword lunge if you melee just before it hits you in Reach.

It'll only take off your shields, not kill you. If you have no shields, it'll do no damage.

[quote name='Pirate331']I've never done it, but I hear that apparently you can knock back someone in the middle of a sword lunge thus preventing them from getting the instant kill on you. Might be a similar mechanic w/ regular beat downs?[/QUOTE]

Correct... I had this happen to me quite a few times when I was stealth + sword. You can melee and reduce the blow of a sword hit by "glancing" with your weapon. It's cool for the person without the sword but it's pretty frustrating for the person with the sword when you expect to get a kill but it doesn't happen and you end up dead. I'm going to start doing Melee + strike every time now...

You get the Reach Beta code when you order Halo 3 ODST. Order it, they offer free shipping, get the code via email, and return the game to your local Gamestop when you get it.

bread's done
Back