Halo: Reach

You know what baffles me about Reach? How they "fixed" regular melee yet the sword still seems so cheap. I love backing up unloading on someone yet they can just charge right through it and kill me. Am I correct in thinking the sword isn't in Slayer Pro? If so, that's what I'm voting for every time it comes up. I also hated the DMR at first but now I think I like it better than the assault rifle which seems pretty useless.

[quote name='Killbomb']You know what baffles me about Reach? How they "fixed" regular melee yet the sword still seems so cheap. I love backing up unloading on someone yet they can just charge right through it and kill me. Am I correct in thinking the sword isn't in Slayer Pro? If so, that's what I'm voting for every time it comes up. I also hated the DMR at first but now I think I like it better than the assault rifle which seems pretty useless.[/QUOTE]
To be honest, I haven't really encountered the sword too much, so I can't say definitively. I'm almost always using the sprint AA, so any time I do see a sword user I pop a sprint in the opposite way, turn around, and start popping them with my pistol/DMR/Needle Rifle.

As for the assault rifle, it's actually not bad at medium to close range. It was damn near useless in the beta, but Bungie definitely made it better for retail. I can drop people using the pistol on me pretty easily with it as long as they're relatively close.

I picked this up on a whim because a buddy of mine got it. We played coop and I'm totally impressed. The experience has been something else so far. I'm not a halo fan, but that just might change now...

[quote name='Freemason']agreed, after getting to mission 5.. we went from 4 people to 2 and collectively decided that all the fun was sucked out of it completely and it became simply an effort in frustration and us being so pised it takes 45 minutes in a revenant bombarding one area with 4 elites, 2 hunters, grunts, 2 wraiths, 8 jackals, the revenant itself before jacking it. Unless you can totally distract them away they just dodge all day and laugh but can pinpoint shots over hills right into your face. Its not even enjoyable. we passed that area and went to the chopper ride and defending it, both killed, start at before the previous stated action.. we quit right there lol[/QUOTE]

all you guys complaining about the elite shields. why not get a plasma weapon to drop the shields quick? a plasma pistol shot and a couple headshots with the dmr downs an elite on legendary.

[quote name='Fjordson']To be honest, I haven't really encountered the sword too much, so I can't say definitively. I'm almost always using the sprint AA, so any time I do see a sword user I pop a sprint in the opposite way, turn around, and start popping them with my pistol/DMR/Needle Rifle.

As for the assault rifle, it's actually not bad at medium to close range. It was damn near useless in the beta, but Bungie definitely made it better for retail. I can drop people using the pistol on me pretty easily with it as long as they're relatively close.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm sure sprint is helpful but I hate having to use it just to try to counter the sword since I prefer the hologram. I think any hit should stop a charge. It should only be able to be done when unopposed like from the side or back.

I've gotta say I don't like the ending...
I knew all the Spartans died, but I just didn't like the way they killed off the last two.
It was like they ran out of ideas and didn't know how to kill Emil so they decided to just throw 2 Elites his way. I've got to say that the way he killed them was awesome though. And Reach not ending like a classic Halo game really pisses me off too. There should have been a Warthog/Mongoose escape of sorts. They did it 3 games in a row and sort of did it on the 4th, but didn't on this one. Kind of disappointing as me and my friends though the part where you get mongooses was going to be the ending somehow.
I might have to go back and get the data pads to get more of the story. They seem kind of interesting and didn't know about them while playing the game. 6 hours was way too short for a campaign too. And yes, we were playing on Legendary.

It's going to suck going through the game again on Legendary alone though... Why would they have an achievement like that? It's just a pain in the ass and this game's Legendary is so much harder than all the other games.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Unless you live in a really rural area, I'm sure they'll sell all of those with little to no problems.[/QUOTE]

This store, while a regional chain, doesn't move games like other stores do. People bought them up at Best Buy like crazy, but this store's stock looked pretty untouched. I'm sure people will go to Best Buy, Target, Gamestop and Toys R Us before hitting this place.

[quote name='DarkRider23']It's going to suck going through the game again on Legendary alone though... Why would they have an achievement like that? It's just a pain in the ass and this game's Legendary is so much harder than all the other games.[/QUOTE]

I knew that too (about Noble team), but I doubt everyone does; you knew how to use spoiler tags, so why not use them on all of that?

And they included it because it's actually an achievement, unlike most of the others this game has.

much like MW:2, if the campaign feels too short it'll more than make up for it in multiplayer...fo'sho. As for difficulty, previous Halo's have been easy on Legendary for anyone who's decent at FPS. This one looks like it will be an achievement worth unlocking. At least the chance of unlocking that achievement i significantly higher than some of the ranked Halo 3 ones.

awesome game.

[quote name='Killbomb']Or a decent matchmaking system. They should have been able to overhaul the Halo 3 system with all the money they made.

[/QUOTE]

But what is decent? If you are thinking join in progress then no thanks.

[quote name='yankeessuck']But what is decent? If you are thinking join in progress then no thanks.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a fan either, but I think it could be beneficial in Social matches.

[quote name='DarkRider23']I've gotta say I don't like the ending...
I knew all the Spartans died, but I just didn't like the way they killed off the last two.
It was like they ran out of ideas and didn't know how to kill Emil so they decided to just throw 2 Elites his way. I've got to say that the way he killed them was awesome though. And Reach not ending like a classic Halo game really pisses me off too. There should have been a Warthog/Mongoose escape of sorts. They did it 3 games in a row and sort of did it on the 4th, but didn't on this one. Kind of disappointing as me and my friends though the part where you get mongooses was going to be the ending somehow.
I might have to go back and get the data pads to get more of the story. They seem kind of interesting and didn't know about them while playing the game. 6 hours was way too short for a campaign too. And yes, we were playing on Legendary.

It's going to suck going through the game again on Legendary alone though... Why would they have an achievement like that? It's just a pain in the ass and this game's Legendary is so much harder than all the other games.
[/QUOTE]

Dude, that whole post should've been in a spoiler tag. Don't be a jackass.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Dude, that whole post should've been in a spoiler tag. Don't be a jackass.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the warning. I would have caught whatever it is that he wrote but I started reading the thread from the bottom up and saw your post first. Definitely not coming back to this thread until I finish the campaign (hopefully tonight). ;)

Played through missions 7-9 and a bit of 10 before having to call it a night last night. Still loving it, and will finish it up tonight most likely and move on to multiplayer.

Completed the daily challenges last night, but one of them had to be glitched. I think it was called "Thug It Out" and it was something about 7 close quarter combat kills. I tried melee, shotguy, swords, the knife from behind...nothing would count it up. Then all of a sudden the achievement pops up a match later after I kill one person with a shotgun...it was weird but I'm glad I got it.

[quote name='Kendro']Thanks for the warning. I would have caught whatever it is that he wrote but I started reading the thread from the bottom up and saw your post first. Definitely not coming back to this thread until I finish the campaign (hopefully tonight). ;)[/QUOTE]
That's a pretty dick move he made. I accidentally read the first line.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Dude, that whole post should've been in a spoiler tag. Don't be a jackass.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='NeuralFizz']That's a pretty dick move he made. I accidentally read the first line.[/QUOTE]

There... Fixed. That's part of playing Reach, people. Knowing the ending before you play the game. Yeah, it seems kind of stupid, but that's how the game's story was built and I'm surprised you guys didn't already know. If you've played any previous Halo game then you should know if you've paid attention to the story. They've only referenced Reach a million times.

Either way, my bad on that. Didn't know people would go that crazy over it and again, I'm more surprised people didn't know.

Looking for one or two more people to do legendary co-op with tonight. We'll be starting from the beginning, if you're interested my gamertag is Frankysox. Hopefully around 9est time is when I'll be on.

[quote name='DarkRider23']There... Fixed. That's part of playing Reach, people. Knowing the ending before you play the game. Yeah, it seems kind of stupid, but that's how the game's story was built and I'm surprised you guys didn't already know. If you've played any previous Halo game then you should know if you've paid attention to the story. They've only reference Reach a million times.[/QUOTE]

Uh, there's a HUGE difference between knowing what happened to the planet in Halo lore and knowing exactly what happens in this Halo: Reach story.

The moral is, when in doubt, put it in a spoiler tag. No one is annoyed if you put your thoughts on the story in a spoiler tag, but they may be annoyed if you don't.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Uh, there's a HUGE difference between knowing what happened to the planet in Halo lore and knowing exactly what happens in this Halo: Reach story.

The moral is, when in doubt, put it in a spoiler tag. No one is annoyed if you put your thoughts on the story in a spoiler tag, but they may be annoyed if you don't.[/QUOTE]

What happened in Halo Lore is the same thing as what happened in the game.

[quote name='FrankySox']Looking for one or two more people to do legendary co-op with tonight. We'll be starting from the beginning, if you're interested my gamertag is Frankysox. Hopefully around 9est time is when I'll be on.[/QUOTE]

I'll hit ya up Franky. I want to do Legendary as well.

[quote name='FrankySox']Looking for one or two more people to do legendary co-op with tonight. We'll be starting from the beginning, if you're interested my gamertag is Frankysox. Hopefully around 9est time is when I'll be on.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I'll hit ya up Franky. I want to do Legendary as well.[/QUOTE]

I can do it as well, assuming you guys want to actually watch thew cutscenes and stuff. I've only played the first two levels, so I wanna see the storyline as I play legendary coop. If you don't want that, I'll just find another group after beating it on normal solo.

I'm only at I think the start of 5 and wont be on till later to night if anyone wants to play. are we still using the halo cag gamer tag?

[quote name='BingoBrown']Just use spoiler tags and stop being a jackass.[/QUOTE]

I did use spoilers, but I left out one little tiny thing that really isn't a spoiler, but people considered it a spoiler. It's not like I ruined the game for anyone, which has happened quite a lot to me here on CAG and countless others. Best solution; avoid reading general discussion threads until you beat the game.

It's just better safe than sorry when it comes to spoiler tags. Easy to put in place, and no risk of annoying someone who knows nothing about the game plot who comes to post looking for a co-op partner etc.

I didn't appreciate it as I haven't read much of anything about Reach as I stay away from previews, reviews etc. for games I know I'm buying. Didn't ruin it for me, but one tidbit I could have done without having spoiled for sure.

[quote name='DarkRider23']I did use spoilers, but I left out one little tiny thing that really isn't a spoiler, but people considered it a spoiler. It's not like I ruined the game for anyone, which has happened quite a lot to me here on CAG and countless others. Best solution; avoid reading general discussion threads until you beat the game.[/QUOTE]

Let me tell you what was a spoiler:
I didn't know that all of Noble Team died. One could assume that it would happen, but assuming it is different than knowing it. You also made some statement about the way in which the last two died. That's more spoiler material. All of that information was in your first sentence. And THEN you decided to use a spoiler tag.

And just because others have ruined games for you, you think it's okay if you do it as well?

Best solution: use spoiler tags. Don't post in a general discussion thread that's talking about many aspects of the game, including its vast multiplayer, and drop spoilers about the story when the game has only been out for two friggin' days.

I really don't want to argue over this with you, but you're being extremely obnoxious. In the future, try to avoid spoiling pieces of the story. Err on the side of caution, just because you think something isn't a spoiler doesn't mean other people agree with you. It's really not that difficult.

Playing through a second time to get "Beat Legendary Solo" achievement and damn is it hard. My first playthrough on Heroic was just right but Legendary is a whole different animal. You really have to rely on your AI allies.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Let me tell you what was a spoiler:
I didn't know that all of Noble Team died. One could assume that it would happen, but assuming it is different than knowing it. You also made some statement about the way in which the last two died. That's more spoiler material. All of that information was in your first sentence. And THEN you decided to use a spoiler tag.

And just because others have ruined games for you, you think it's okay if you do it as well?

Best solution: use spoiler tags. Don't post in a general discussion thread that's talking about many aspects of the game, including its vast multiplayer, and drop spoilers about the story when the game has only been out for two friggin' days.

I really don't want to argue over this with you, but you're being extremely obnoxious. In the future, try to avoid spoiling pieces of the story. Err on the side of caution, just because you think something isn't a spoiler doesn't mean other people agree with you. It's really not that difficult.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. The ME2 thread posters managed to keep it relatively spoiler less for a couple of months after release for fuck sake. The tags exist for a reason.

Fantastic game. Couldn't ask for a better campaign. Thanks Bungie for 10 years of Halo. I'm gonna try to through the campaign again on Legendary alone. ugh.. I might try to get some firefight cheevos before taking a beating on legendary solo.

sorry if this has been posted but has anyone scene the easter egg towards the game? spoilers..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOqwqX7o4HY

haven't tried it myself yet

Has anyone noticed something weird about the Legendary DLCs? They work on multiple consoles (I think) apparently without being downloaded, so I'm guessing that they're just linked to your gamertag and then linked to a console you play on because I took my memory card with my GT on it to play with my brother on his 360, didn't download anything, just played a couple of rounds of FireFight, and now he and everyone else on that console has Recon, Flaming Helmet, Officer Elite, and the Falcon Avatar Prop.

[quote name='yankeessuck']But what is decent? If you are thinking join in progress then no thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think that it's definitely better than what they have now. Being down a man or two is way too common an occurrence in Reach. It needs at least a surrender without penalty option like the others posted in case you end up 4 to 1 or 2.

[quote name='Killbomb']Yeah, I think that it's definitely better than what they have now. Being down a man or two is way too common an occurrence in Reach. It needs at least a surrender without penalty option like the others posted in case you end up 4 to 1 or 2.[/QUOTE]

I would hope the banning system works and people eventually stop quitting as often but I'm ok with a surrender option but not joining in progress. Joining in progress pretty much means joining the team thats getting destroyed and who wants that? Joining in progress also leads to even more quitting.

I really dont think I have seen alot of quitting so far though.

Finished the campaign on normal. Really enjoyed, best of the Halo campaigns, gameplay wise for sure. Better pacing, no flood etc. Story is a bit light compared to Halo 1-3 though.

Tried to get into Multiplayer but had Live issues again, will eat dinner and try again. Had issues last night as well.

[quote name='TC']Wow Between this and the quitting punishment I applaud Bungie.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/09/playing-halo-reach-on-xbox-live-how-to-stay-sane.ars

"As for the general woes of voice on XBL, we (Bungie) have added an "Auto Mute" mechanism that notices, warns, and eventually defaults players to being Muted when they enter games if they are muted by enough people over a period of time."[/QUOTE]

I like the muting thing but what is the quitting punishment? I've quit games when a matchtype I don't like gets voted, or when my team quits and it's me vs like 4 other people and didn't notice a penalty.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Let me tell you what was a spoiler:

[/QUOTE]

The only reason I'm arguing is because you tried arguing with me over such a silly point even after I fixed the spoiler and apologized. I'll stand by my word that if you really didn't know that:

All of Noble team dies, then you really haven't paid attention to the Halo stories, you never read Bungie's site or you don't read reviews. Bungie has said it themselves that all of Noble team dies (not directly, but it's definitely hinted at). Hell, even the trailer for this game hints at that and reviews that I've read all start with "Noble Team's last stand/adventure" or something stupid like that which leads everyone to believe that all of Noble team dies.

Lets look at the facts here that tell you all of Noble team dies.

-It's referenced in the Halo games. I don't recall which one(s), but they have mentioned that Reach was overrun by covenant and ALL the Spartans died on Reach except Master Chief.
-Bungie has said it themselves on their website.
-From the beginning of Halo, we know MC is the last Spartan alive or we find out in the first Halo at least.
-In the trailer for Reach, they say that "There has only been one other Spartan with your classification" or something along those lines. Bungie is indirectly telling us that other Spartan IS Master Chief, so we can assume that Noble 6 is NOT Master Chief, although that would have been an awesome twist.
-Noble 6 being Master Chief is the ONLY way he would have ever gotten off Reach because we would have needed him in the other Halo games. Master Chief is the last remaining Spartan and that's that. Since Noble 6 isn't MC, then we can assume he dies.

This is my view and how I'm defending myself. I really didn't think that what I said was a spoiler so I kept it out of a spoiler tag. Don't give me that "When in doubt" crap either, because I wasn't doubting myself. I knew it wasn't a spoiler so I didn't tag it.

Furthermore, I never said that it was ok for me to ruin games for others because people have done it to me. I was just trying to say that shit happens and if you really want to avoid that shit then your best bet is to avoid these general discussion threads until you beat the campaign.

Either way, I've apologized once and fixed the post, so that's the end of that.

[quote name='Puffa469']I like the muting thing but what is the quitting punishment? I've quit games when a matchtype I don't like gets voted, or when my team quits and it's me vs like 4 other people and didn't notice a penalty.[/QUOTE]

You get temp banned if you just quit too much. As long as you aren't a repetitive quitter, it's not htat big of a deal.

Again, some of us due purposely avoid reviews, reading developer sites and interviews etc. to go into games fresh.

So it's always nice to just play it safe and put any plot details in spoilers, and be courteous to people who aren't up to speed on all that stuff.

You apologized, and added tags, so it's all good as long as you're more careful about tags etc. I was right near the end when I saw your post, so that spoiled a lot of the ending for me.

I missed it thankfully. I'll never know why people are adverse to using spoiler tags :lol:

I'm having a great time with the campaign. Heroic is kicking my ass, though. The Elite is one of the best enemies in a video game. Ever. Really tough to take down, especially when there's two or three of them together.

The last mission I finished
with space combat and Jorge's demise
is definitely one of my favourites of the whole series. Great departure from the traditional Halo combat scenario.

[quote name='Fjordson']The last mission I finished
with space combat and Jorge's demise
is definitely one of my favourites of the whole series. Great departure from the traditional Halo combat scenario.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, so far that may be favorite level as well. As a whole, the campaign definitely takes you in for a wild ride unlike the others.

I don't know if it's just me, but did the level after that seem a lot easier compared to the others up to that point to anybody else?

Well this is perfect. Ive been waiting to get Halo reach to use my new Halo Reach controller. So i get the game today, and start playing, and i find out that sometimes my left analog stick will keep moving up even after i let go of it. I did only pay 16 dollars in the end, but WTF. Im not sure if my local gamestop will give me a new controller, since i bought it on gamestop.com, threw away the reciept, and sold the Banshee code. I guess i could print the order form. What a buzzkill.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Well this is perfect. Ive been waiting to get Halo reach to use my new Halo Reach controller. So i get the game today, and start playing, and i find out that sometimes my left analog stick will keep moving up even after i let go of it. I did only pay 16 dollars in the end, but WTF. Im not sure if my local gamestop will give me a new controller, since i bought it on gamestop.com, threw away the reciept, and sold the Banshee code. I guess i could print the order form. What a buzzkill.[/QUOTE]

go buy another one from gamestop, or anywhere for that matter, then sneak the bad one into the new box, and return it as broken with your new receipt!

Okay, so I wasn't really paying attention because I was busy trying to kill three banshees that were on my tail, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Was Buck from ODST in the Pelican that you have to escort during the 8th mission? I thought I heard Nathan Fillion and my ears perked up.

Holy hell, just played 2 games of swat and ended up with 1 kill. How do you play that game? Its like we all get rifles, yet everytime i see someone they headshot me before i can even shoot. So many times i got headshot within 1 second or less of me seeing someone. Its like they have some auto target hack that targets my head.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Holy hell, just played 2 games of swat and ended up with 1 kill. How do you play that game? Its like we all get rifles, yet everytime i see someone they headshot me before i can even shoot. So many times i got headshot within 1 second or less of me seeing someone. Its like they have some auto target hack that targets my head.[/QUOTE]

Change your sensitivity. It always helps me :)

[quote name='The 7th Number']Holy hell, just played 2 games of swat and ended up with 1 kill. How do you play that game? Its like we all get rifles, yet everytime i see someone they headshot me before i can even shoot. So many times i got headshot within 1 second or less of me seeing someone. Its like they have some auto target hack that targets my head.[/QUOTE]

What works for me for FPS games is that I use a low sensitivity coupled with trying to minimize the amount of movement of the crosshair.

I would "pre-aim" a lot through the corners of walls and things back in my Counter-Strike days.

I'm the same way. I was getting a lot better in the beta but now I can't do anything.

[quote name='Zerok']Okay, so I wasn't really paying attention because I was busy trying to kill three banshees that were on my tail, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Was Buck from ODST in the Pelican that you have to escort during the 8th mission? I thought I heard Nathan Fillion and my ears perked up.
[/QUOTE]

They don't have him listed on the Halo Reach page and he is only listed for ODST on his.

[quote name='DarkRider23']The only reason I'm arguing is because you tried arguing with me over such a silly point even after I fixed the spoiler and apologized. I'll stand by my word that if you really didn't know that:

All of Noble team dies, then you really haven't paid attention to the Halo stories, you never read Bungie's site or you don't read reviews. Bungie has said it themselves that all of Noble team dies (not directly, but it's definitely hinted at). Hell, even the trailer for this game hints at that and reviews that I've read all start with "Noble Team's last stand/adventure" or something stupid like that which leads everyone to believe that all of Noble team dies.

Lets look at the facts here that tell you all of Noble team dies.

-It's referenced in the Halo games. I don't recall which one(s), but they have mentioned that Reach was overrun by covenant and ALL the Spartans died on Reach except Master Chief.
-Bungie has said it themselves on their website.
-From the beginning of Halo, we know MC is the last Spartan alive or we find out in the first Halo at least.
-In the trailer for Reach, they say that "There has only been one other Spartan with your classification" or something along those lines. Bungie is indirectly telling us that other Spartan IS Master Chief, so we can assume that Noble 6 is NOT Master Chief, although that would have been an awesome twist.
-Noble 6 being Master Chief is the ONLY way he would have ever gotten off Reach because we would have needed him in the other Halo games. Master Chief is the last remaining Spartan and that's that. Since Noble 6 isn't MC, then we can assume he dies.

This is my view and how I'm defending myself. I really didn't think that what I said was a spoiler so I kept it out of a spoiler tag. Don't give me that "When in doubt" crap either, because I wasn't doubting myself. I knew it wasn't a spoiler so I didn't tag it.

Furthermore, I never said that it was ok for me to ruin games for others because people have done it to me. I was just trying to say that shit happens and if you really want to avoid that shit then your best bet is to avoid these general discussion threads until you beat the campaign.

Either way, I've apologized once and fixed the post, so that's the end of that.

You get temp banned if you just quit too much. As long as you aren't a repetitive quitter, it's not htat big of a deal.[/QUOTE]

It would have been nice for it to have been in spoiler tags but you are right that it has been said or hinted at from day one. Hell the LE statue based off a memorial for the team so that should tell you something. However it would have been nice for people that have not played the games yet. I know it is odd that someone would get into it now with Reach. Also it would have been nice incase some have forgot about it. I know I did. Thats why at the end
I thought 6 would be MC and was let down when I found out he wasn't

Also was I alone
in not feeling much of anything for the characters that died at first? When Jorge died I saw it happening when he said "I have good news and I have bad news." When Kat died I just thought wow I didn't see that happening. Kind of a shit way to kill her off. Jun I don't even remember when he died and I just played the last half of the game today and that is when they all died. Carter was when I started to feel bad for the characters dieing. I was said to see him go. I did think he just flew off to die some place. Never thought he would fly into the Scarab. Emile I also felt bad for but after the first attack on him I just was wanting it to get over with. When 6 died I think what really got me is that I was wanting him to be MC. I know it wasn't going to happen but I was hoping that he would. What also got me with him was the end when all you had to do was survive knowing you were going to die anyway. At first I was going to say screw it and not try but then I thought to hell with this I want to see how long I can last. I didn't really last all that long. I'm glad in the end he gave a hell of a fight but it did seem drawn out a little to long.

Also it would have been nice to see the memorial set up in the game. Maybe end the game after the war like that did and have them set up the memorial to all of them. Speaking of the Noble team memorial was that the one they were talking about in the end of 3 or was it just a memorial for all of the fallen?

Anyway I'm good to play anything now so just hit me up. GT is shazo.

I've had similar experiences with SWAT and feelings about it. I can normally hold my own in a regular game but my buddies and I just got destroyed in the 2 or 3 games of SWAT we've played since launch. I really wanted to play the last team that killed us in SWAT in regular Slayer but of course they all left the lobby after the match. I hate SWAT with a passion.

bread's done
Back