Halo: Reach

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']No, I agree. Kotaku really screwed up by putting a spoiler like that in the subject tag. That was stupid on their part. I was a bit supporter of Kotaku, but lately they have been screwing the pooch in a few areas.

That sounded awful.[/QUOTE]

I do agree that they should have made the tile more generic about an easter egg in Halo Reach and said possible spoilers in the story.

That said, it is an easter egg and something that probably less than 1% of players would ever find on their own, so not as big a deal as spoiling the ending or something.

Q: Legendary Edition - Missing DLC Codes?

For those of you who bought the Legendary Edition, where did you find the DLC codes for the Flaming Helmet and Elite Armor? I cannot find it anywhere inside my box.

- Where exactly inside the box did you find the voucher?

- Is it inside the game case itself, right where instruction manual is?

- Does the code even look like those typical Microsoft cardboard code vouchers?

- Are the codes already pre-loaded into the game?

Any info would help, thanks!

[quote name='Jcaugustine']Q: Legendary Edition - Missing DLC Codes?

For those of you who bought the Legendary Edition, where did you find the DLC codes for the Flaming Helmet and Elite Armor? I cannot find it anywhere inside my box.

- Where exactly inside the box did you find the voucher?
In the game case.
- Is it inside the game case itself, right where instruction manual is?
Yes.
- Does the code even look like those typical Microsoft cardboard code vouchers?
Yes. There are two. One for Recon, the other for Flaming Helmet/Elite Armor/Falcon Avatar accessory and the developer commentary/playthrough video
- Are the codes already pre-loaded into the game?
No.
Any info would help, thanks![/QUOTE]

See answers above.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']See answers above.[/QUOTE]
Thanks.

I think Microsoft dropped a ball on me, since I don't see them anywhere. Don't know if they'll let me exchange this at Gamestop for another one... but I hope they better.

Super easy to farm achievements with that 1,000,000 points in 10 Minutes map under top downloads in the file browser...for those so inclined.

I have a few questions regarding the campaign & credits:

1) Do you only earn commendations when you're connected to Live? The FAQ says they aren't available for offline profiles, but this would be on a Gold profile on an Xbox not connected to Live.

2) Do you only earn credits in Campaign when scoring is turned on? I played through mission 3 and turned scoring on and got a ton of credits. Unfortunately when I turned it on, the difficulty got knocked down to Normal when I was playing on Heroic. I went back & played the mission on Heroic today (offline mind you) and got practically nothing for credits. I'm trying to figure out if it's because I was offline, score was off, I didn't get any commendations, or a combination of all of those.

EDIT: Figured it out. You do gain points with scoring off, & don't get as many points for gold profiles offline.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='A Happy Panda']Link?[/QUOTE]

Just go in the file browser and look under top downloads for game types. It's number 2 after the IGN one.

1,000,000 Points in 10 Minutes in the gametype name.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Super easy to farm achievements with that 1,000,000 points in 10 Minutes map under top downloads in the file browser...for those so inclined.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i downloaded this, and i have no idea what to do. I swapped weapons for an achievement, but i dont know how you score points. Everyone i kill is a betrayal, even grunts. There are no spartans around. Does this help you earn credits?

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I haven't read Cole Protocol, and Contact Harvest kinda sucks. Joseph Staten's storytelling just isn't on par with the other books. I would go with the new edition of Fall of Reach. Eric Nylund is a good writer, and the book is legitimately good if you're interested in the Halo universe. You can also skip the Flood, it's basically a retelling of the first Halo game, and it's mostly terrible. William C. Dietz uses the same adjectives over and over and over.

Ghosts of Onyx is also pretty good as it tells the story of the SPARTAN-III program.[/QUOTE]
Would you recommend reading First Strike or Ghosts of Onyx first? I picked up the new edition of Fall of Reach a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it. Would love to read another Nylund book. Ghosts of Onyx sounds interesting as something separate from the fiction and characters of the main game trilogy.

Just came home and Amazon delivered my copy. Currently installing to the hard drive and will just jump straight ahead into Multiplayer, will save the campaign for probably Sunday when I have the most time off.

Send me FRs if you'd like to play!

Just got my copy in today. The campaign is pretty good so far but I've noticed that the friendly AI is incredibly bad.

If anyone wants to play feel free to send me a FR.

They need to neuter the tank. It is such a game changer. Even a spartan laser would help. I just went 46-0 on MTF with a tank and towards the end I drove back to my base and stopped shooting because I felt bad for the other team.

[quote name='kklems']They need to neuter the tank. It is such a game changer. Even a spartan laser would help. I just went 46-0 on MTF with a tank and towards the end I drove back to my base and stopped shooting because I felt bad for the other team.[/QUOTE]
Couple sniper rounds takes it out fairly easily.

But yeah, the tank can definitely sway a game on the big maps.

[quote name='kklems']They need to neuter the tank. It is such a game changer. Even a spartan laser would help. I just went 46-0 on MTF with a tank and towards the end I drove back to my base and stopped shooting because I felt bad for the other team.[/QUOTE]

If they would just make it a Wraith instead

[quote name='Fjordson']Would you recommend reading First Strike or Ghosts of Onyx first? I picked up the new edition of Fall of Reach a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it. Would love to read another Nylund book. Ghosts of Onyx sounds interesting as something separate from the fiction and characters of the main game trilogy.[/QUOTE]

I recommend reading First Strike before Onyx, just because that's how it occurs chronologically. Also if I remember correctly then Onyx makes a couple references to events in First Strike. I enjoyed both books so I don't think you could lose with either.

[quote name='Fjordson']Couple sniper rounds takes it out fairly easily.

But yeah, the tank can definitely sway a game on the big maps.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. But there's nothing like meleeing it to death.

Also, if anyone wants to do some campaign co-op, hopefully 4 player, feel free to add.

Well i did all the challenges for the day. (150 mp kills, 2 double kills in one mp match, 30 mp assists, and 12 kills in one mp match) There was also one that says beat 9 campaign mission on heroic, but i got the achievement without that one.

I really like swat now. Its so much fun, and actually makes me go for the head in other types of matches. Usually i would always shoot at the bodies, because they are a bigger target. But i like swat so much, that its pretty dull when i end up in a old school slayer match with that crappy gun.

Yeah so i found out you cant buy the E.V.A. helmet till you are a major, and you dont get to major until you have 325,000 credits. Man, you are going to have to put in some serious time if you want to even make your guy look cool. But i guess thats a good thing, always something to work towards. I know when i got my wings in gears 2, i just stopped playing MP except horde here and there.

just a question for when I start up campaign, how hard is soloing legendary? I've only ever played odst and beat that on easy (took longer than normal since I didn't play shooters much) and stopped about 1/3 in on legendary.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']just a question for when I start up campaign, how hard is soloing legendary? I've only ever played odst and beat that on easy (took longer than normal since I didn't play shooters much) and stopped about 1/3 in on legendary.[/QUOTE]
Forget it.

Yeah. I don't know know how many others are currently trying a solo legendary playthrough, but lemme tell you, it's tough. Very, very tough. The AI becomes more worthless than normal, especially generic marines, who tend to die within moments of you meeting them. And elites...you learn to fear elites...

The tank can be used very well by the right guy, but the blind spot behind it make it vulnerable to being rushed at from all angles. If you don't have a turret guy it makes it even tougher to survive a long period without getting blown up.

[quote name='drbutchevil']Whoever decided to make Infection in Rumble Pit playable on Pinnacle should be fired... from a cannon... what a clusterfuck.[/QUOTE]

Infection on any map is tons of fun.

Wow, i just got booted 5 seconds into a BTB match because i got in a tank, and tried to shoot at an enemy banshee and some idiot was in front of the tanks canon. They really need to change it to 2-3 betrayals before you can boot someone.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Odd, I wasn't into Halo 3 multiplayer that much, But I can't get enough of Reach for some reason.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, the pysch profile helps!:applause:

[quote name='The 7th Number']

I really like swat now. Its so much fun, and actually makes me go for the head in other types of matches. Usually i would always shoot at the bodies, because they are a bigger target. [/QUOTE]

You know it's actually very simple to get headshots, easier with the DMR of course. If you set your crosshair a little above the head instead of right on it you should get a one shot one kill everytime. I've played Swat games where every kill was a headshot, as well as the other game types whenever I got my hand on a good rifle. Even assault rifles are easier to kill while aiming at the head. Even though it's a smaller target, it's actually very easy to aim there, especially since you have a bit of aim assist. Aiming for the head of a target who's very far away is also good. Getting headshots whether if it's short range or long range is simple once you know where to line up the crosshair.

You'll have to download this video to your file share I think if you want to see what I'm talking about and where to aim.

[quote name='JoeFlacco4God']I'm sooo addicted to Firefight...competitive matchmaking still doesn't do much for me though.[/QUOTE]

As much as I love it, I wish they would have stuck with the formula from ODST. Needs more than one round.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Is it just me or do you people find that your spending as much time on firefight than normal deathmatch matchmaking ?[/QUOTE]

I've mainly been doing slayer matchmaking so far. I've just played firefight to get the daily challenges, but I'll probably play it more when I need a change from slayer.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Everything about this game is perfect to me.[/QUOTE]
the quit ban (and betraying ban) (it not my fault you walked right in front of my warthog or my grenade)
the shitty maps
the repetitive forge world (size isnt everything)
people choosing snipers (needs own playlist)
the AI.. (stop shooting the rocks KAT)

end rant

[quote name='drbutchevil']Whoever decided to make Infection in Rumble Pit playable on Pinnacle should be fired... from a cannon... what a clusterfuck.[/QUOTE]

I don't like Infection in Rumble Pit at all. The rounds are just too short and disrupt the action IMO. It'd be better if there were no breaks between rounds.

[quote name='timesplitt']the quit ban (and betraying ban) (it not my fault you walked right in front of my warthog or my grenade)
the shitty maps
the repetitive forge world (size isnt everything)
people choosing snipers (needs own playlist)
the AI.. (stop shooting the rocks KAT)

end rant[/QUOTE]

The quit ban is justified to me. It only happens if you quit repeatedly and it's only for 15 minutes. I agree about the betrayals. It should be 2 betrayals before the option to kick is even offered. I also agree that snipers sucks. They should put it and SWAT in their own playlist. I like most of the maps really. Only ones I dont care for right now are Pinnacle, Hemorrhage and Paradiso.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I really like swat now. Its so much fun, and actually makes me go for the head in other types of matches. Usually i would always shoot at the bodies, because they are a bigger target. But i like swat so much, that its pretty dull when i end up in a old school slayer match with that crappy gun.[/QUOTE]

I still hate SWAT. I played it like CoD earlier and did better...finding a good spot and peeking out doors and windows. That isn't Halo to me though.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Wow, i just got booted 5 seconds into a BTB match because i got in a tank, and tried to shoot at an enemy banshee and some idiot was in front of the tanks canon. They really need to change it to 2-3 betrayals before you can boot someone.[/QUOTE]

Happened to me only in Rocketfight on Firefight. First shot I fired, some dude had apparently dropped down into the wave of Grunts and was running toward the shot I fired behind a rock. I yelled and went to apologize, but the asshole booted me.

Seriously, I like the theory of the boots, but in crap like rocketfight it's just retarded. Especially when you can easily be an idiot and drop in for close range.

And I refuse to boot anyone unless it becomes blatantly obvious they're trying to f me or my team over. I've played too much L4D and L4D2 to realize it's usually both guy's fault as it's limited vision compared to real life and the corner of your eye.

[quote name='Killbomb'] I also agree that snipers sucks. They should put it and SWAT in their own playlist. I like most of the maps really. Only ones I dont care for right now are Pinnacle, Hemorrhage and Paradiso.

I still hate SWAT. I played it like CoD earlier and did better...finding a good spot and peeking out doors and windows. That isn't Halo to me though.[/QUOTE]
Bungie post over on NeoGAF said that they're looking into retooling the playlists soon. Stuff like SWAT and the "Pro" variants will be separated from the basic playlists that they're in now, among other tweaks.

Nothing confirmed as of yet, but I wouldn't doubt that it's coming.

Finally got a bulltrue today, i think i only had to play 2 games of infection to get it.

I also played another score attack Gruntpocalypse and got 1,000 ish points after 12 minutes. Thats about 2 or 3 times what i normally get in a team deathmatch.

Today i started to feel like im already getting tired of this game. LOL. Mainly because so many times tonight i felt i shot a dude long enough to kill them and they dont die. Or even in swat where i shoot someone in the face and they dont die. When i look at my connection it says i dont lose any packets, but my upload is bad. I dont know if that makes that big of a difference. Also im kinda getting tired of some of these maps. Mainly the ones that look like they made them in forge.

I tried BTB a few times but its really boring to me unless you are in a vehicle.

[quote name='Fjordson']Would you recommend reading First Strike or Ghosts of Onyx first? I picked up the new edition of Fall of Reach a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it. Would love to read another Nylund book. Ghosts of Onyx sounds interesting as something separate from the fiction and characters of the main game trilogy.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I don't even remember what First Strike is about. I know it involves the Chief and another team of SPARTANS.

I started re-reading Ghosts of Onyx today after I read through Halsey's diary. It made a few references that piqued my interest in reading the book again.

Like the other poster said, either one is good, but chronologically I think it's First Strike first. Though some of the events in Ghosts and First Strike do take place in parallel.

Oh and I enjoy all the maps, it's just some of the game choices for them are stupid.

Like Infection on Pinnacle? You fly off the ledges too easily. On my second or third game, I ended up with -4 score... and I had killed 4 people. And most of those times, I'd start running in the middle, but if you catch any bit of ramp as infected... forget it.

Infection on Swordbase is fun, though. I imagine it would be on Reflection as well.

Speaking of which... snipers on Reflection is just stupid and every time it pops up, it gets tons of votes. No scoping and elevator/tunnel guarding gets old quick, even winning.

I enjoy SWAT on all the levels I've played it on, though. It's great practice for headshots. I just wish they gave you grenades.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']As much as I love it, I wish they would have stuck with the formula from ODST. Needs more than one round.[/QUOTE]

I haven't had a chance to do multiplayer firefight yet (only did single player while I was messing around), but is the multi only one round as well? If so, kind of a bummer.

One last thing about the books. I saw at Borders some of the books were the same but one was taller. I know the taller one of Fall or Reach is a newer one from the first one. However Ghosts of Onyx had one that was short for 7.99 I think and another one that was tall for 12 or 14. Both seemed to be the same book so what is different to make the price that much higher?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']As much as I love it, I wish they would have stuck with the formula from ODST. Needs more than one round.[/QUOTE]

It is only one round when you are in matchmaking, they knew people wouldn't stick around for two hours playing the same thing and thus shortened it for MM. You can do it however long you want in the Firefight mode.

[quote name='sendme']One last thing about the books. I saw at Borders some of the books were the same but one was taller. I know the taller one of Fall or Reach is a newer one from the first one. However Ghosts of Onyx had one that was short for 7.99 I think and another one that was tall for 12 or 14. Both seemed to be the same book so what is different to make the price that much higher?[/QUOTE]
The smaller, cheaper one is a mass market paperback. Not much different between that and the taller paperbacks really. Most books come out with the taller version first and then put out the smaller mass market edition later on down the line. Usually the only difference is size. Occasionally I'll encounter one that has a few pages of bonus artwork not included in the mass market version or it'll have better covert art given the added display space.

(Hopefully that made sense)

Basically, really no difference for Ghosts of Onyx and for most books. The Fall of Reach is a literal re-release, though. That has a few revised plot points and some bonus content.

bread's done
Back