Halo Wars - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Spybreak8']Yea check out the guides over at http://www.gamepressure.com/

They are pretty useful for a couple of games I have and that is one of the hardest missions in the campaign.

The guide says forget about cargo ship 3 and focus on 1 &2, build plenty of infantry and garrison them scattered around the map. I haven't tried Legendary at all but maybe sometime I'll attempt it. This was actually the first mission I found the skull believe it or not.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, that guide is pretty light on that mission and I suspect not geared towards Legendary difficulty.

I tried using the repair ability to heal up the transports when they started taking damage, but that didn't work. Found something that says sometimes it does work and sometimes it doesn't, so maybe I'll play around with where to place the cursor to have the transports included in the healing green mist. I think I'm gonna go with just protecting one of the transports with everything I can muster and see if that'll do it.

Gold medal for Mission 4 wasn't too bad (on easy.) Key to the gold medals is getting that 10x multiplier for combat ratio and of course completing as many goals as possible. I don't think the game difficulty effects your score at all, which is a bit lame. But that means if you're really stuck on a gold medal, try the mission on easy. AFAIK you can get the medal on any difficulty and it counts towards the achievement.

Oh yeah, and train mostly vehicles/aircraft as they won't die as often as marines which greatly helps your combat ratio.

Last edited by a moderator:
:whee: Managed it. I guess it wasn't too bad. Once I remembered you have that single save slot to work with I was able to save every few minutes.

Here's what I did for those curious.

Clear up the subway entrance (required) and then move all your troops to transport 2 cleaning up some of the troops scattered between #2 and where you will eventually build your base to the south. You'll probably want to save right after clearing the subway and then play around with how much you can clear out before you need to get to #2 to head off the first attack. Even a single banshee will destroy the transport pretty quickly. (Sacrifice #1 and #3.)

As soon as you get the message about building a base, send forge to the closest spot to the south and build one. I built a barracks first and then SP, SP. Start building marines and I set my rally point to in front of the transport. From there it was a matter of heading off covenant troops before they got close enough to the transport to blow it up while pumping out marines. When I could I upgraded the base, built a reactor, upgraded marines. The covenant left my base alone for a good while (luckily) but I built a few turrets when a few troops finally attacked. And eventually had enough extra to upgrade the reactor and pump out some hornets.

Even after I had a good force of hornets a flight of 3 banshees flew in over the water from the east and took out the transport before I could fly my main force over to save it. Reloaded and left a few hornets in that spot to head off future banshee attacks.

Oh yeah, and I also turned on most of the buff skulls.

Now Mission 6 kicked my butt. I think I know where I went wrong, though. I'm loving the way they setup the achievements on this game, adds a ton of replay. Other devs should take lessons from this example.

Another tip for Legendary if anyone is interested. If you are doing it with skulls, skip Boomstick. Ends up backfiring quite often.

Mission 7 if a bit of a bastard as well. Probably not going to be as tricky as 4, but it's going to take some planning.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']DLC sounds good, but I would have definatly liked to see them add the Flood in as DLC, or possibly in the future. I would pay 400-800 points for another race to place as/against.

But 100 points sounds really low for this new DLC, I'm thinking it will end up being more than that...but I'll be getting it regardless. I personally have been playing 3v3 online ranked matches nonstop lately and my record is like 38 W's and 12 L's.

if anyone wants to play send me a friend request.[/QUOTE]

The press release is saying the amount of new gamerscore for the game is 100 points. There's no word on what the price will be, but you can imagine it will be 800 MS Points if I were to bet on it.

I believe you can see the achievements from the Xbox guide now. They sounded mostly multiplayer to me, but not really sure.

Strategic Options now available for 800pts:

Experience Halo Wars in a whole new way with the Strategic Options Game Add-on. Three new game modes will require players to re-think their entire strategy and approach to the game. The modes include: Keepaway – capture the flag style game; Tug of War – who can field and maintain the strongest army; and Reinforcements – adapt your tactics as you are granted waves of troops. There are no refunds for this item. For more information, see www.xbox.com/live/accounts.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/0ccf0004-0000-4000-8000-00004d530808?cid=SLink

[quote name='Nealocus123']Weren't they saying it was only going to be 400pts?

$10 for a few new maps and some game modes no ones gonna play after a few months seems steep. Dunno if I'm gonna bite. Thanks though Prime.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. Though I don't think there are even any new maps, just 3 new game modes. Seems like stuff that should have been included in the box or made into free DLC.

My guess is I'd play them each once or twice for the new achievements and that'd be it.

Damn it, stupid price, damn it I wanted this too. Screw that crap when I just bought Plants vs Zombies and Luxor: Quest for the Afterlife (way better than Luxor 2 on XBLA) each for 10 bucks a piece. 800pts for three game modes and a few maps?! Its almost as bad as the newest Company of Heroes expansion Tales of Valor but at least that gives you a short campaign, granted its not 10 bucks but you get ripped off there too. /rant >

[quote name='Spybreak8']Damn it, stupid price, damn it I wanted this too. Screw that crap when I just bought Plants vs Zombies and Luxor: Quest for the Afterlife (way better than Luxor 2 on XBLA) each for 10 bucks a piece. 800pts for three game modes and a few maps?! Its almost as bad as the newest Company of Heroes expansion Tales of Valor but at least that gives you a short campaign, granted its not 10 bucks but you get ripped off there too. /rant >

I just hope sales of this DLC don't cause them to scratch other more substantial stuff. I'd love to see a Covenant campaign made available.

I'm guessing the dev costs for this 1st offering were low so maybe they don't need to sell a ton at $10 to be happy. Whatever.

And hell, maybe it will do fine despite most of us looking at it and being underwhelmed.

Just need Mr. Punctual and I have all the single player achievements. Only one mission left to complete under par time. :whee:

Anyone want to link up for co-op? Looking to do a run on normal.

If you look at your achievement list on live.xbox.com it seems there will be 3 new maps coming but more than likely at a ridiculous price of 800 MPs again. I'll wait for the deal when they discount both of these dlcs.

Hehe, check out my custom Halo Wars theme, didn't quite get the white sphere, which I got from capturing one of the beautiful cut scenes. You can download and then set it as your wallpaper if your pc is networked to your 360.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='soccerstud652']Just started playing this again, add me on XBL if you want to play online.[/QUOTE]

I'll send you a XBL FR tonight. I'm looking for any other CAG's that would like to play on a team of 2 or 3 - none of my friends like the online portion of this game, aside from co-op and I have a 2 year plan to get the general-ranking achievement.

I'm a n00b, but I'd love to play with anyone. I also have lots of space on my friends list.

profile.aspx

Friends list is empty looking to fill it up. anybody like playing co-op send me a friend invite ^^

if you dont mind when sending me a friend invite put in "Halo wars" so i know what game it is you are sending me a F. invite for ^^ tyvm

When? I love playing it co-op, but tonight the NFL season starts, so I "might" not even be on. Send me a XBL msg if ya want, love Halo Wars, already played it twice and I love the campaign (but not skirmish multiplayer).

I am looking to go through and get all the campaign achievements (skulls, other collecting, golds, par times, legendary etc.) if anyone wants to help send me a FR.

bread's done
Back