Halo Wars - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Bretters']I played the demo and loved it (I also HATE RTS games... very strange how they are converting people). Bought it today and eBayed my Mythic Map Pack code for $45... too good of a deal to pass up.[/QUOTE]

Same here, but I'd like to give a CAG discount in my auction. See my eBay link (in sig) and PM me if you bid on my code so I know you are a CAG.

I honestly am never going to use the Halo 3 map codes, so I may as well hook up a CAG.

Now as far as the game goes, how is the co-op? I am installing to my HD as I write this.

[quote name='soccerstud652']Same here, but I'd like to give a CAG discount in my auction. See my eBay link (in sig) and PM me if you bid on my code so I know you are a CAG.

I honestly am never going to use the Halo 3 map codes, so I may as well hook up a CAG.

Now as far as the game goes, how is the co-op? I am installing to my HD as I write this.[/quote]
First mission took about a minute to load in co-op, but i think that's because it was loading some videos for the intro and such. Second mission loaded much quicker. As far as gameplay, i have mine set to show friends and enemy colors so that i know who is who, but overall, controlling and working together is quite easy. I was playing last night with a friend and he did the base building, resources and such, and i took the troops and vehicles and did the killing. It worked really well because it allowed me to focus just on attaking the enemy while he was able to make sure the base was upgraded and defnded while also building new units when i needed them.

You don't have to play like that, but it's definitely a good strategy for harder levels. There was a little bit of lag but nothing major. Very fun, surprisingly so if you ask me.

[quote name='SynGamer']I got my pre-order code from Amazon this morning (about 6 hours ago) if anyone was curious.[/quote]

I received my preorder code from Gamestop about an hour ago.

There's a limited edition premium theme that's supposed to be available for this week only:

img0249k.jpg

img0250a.jpg

img0251o.jpg

img0252gwo.jpg

It's alright. Would have been better without those two Halo Wars pics in the back. Everything else looks good.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up getting the LE only because of the insane prices the codes are getting on eBay. I get a 10% discount, so the game cost me about 77 after tax. I got 50 for the map pack and 16.50 for the wraith code, so after eBay and Paypal fees its only costing me about 15 bucks.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']There's a limited edition premium theme that's supposed to be available for this week only:

img0249k.jpg

img0250a.jpg

img0251o.jpg

img0252gwo.jpg
[/QUOTE]

At first I thought it was free...after I saw it was 250 points, forget it.

I really really like this game though. I never played a RTS before, but I caught onto this quickly and it's satisfying when everything comes together and you win.

I just hope it has online legs. There only seems to be about 6,000 people on Live :/

WTH, we now get box art for our premium themes, that's crap. I will stay with my other premium theme which shows the characters portraits in the sky. Man this game is feeling more and more like Starcraft as you progress through the campaign,
taking on the flood with brood war looking environment and then the cleansing on top of the spirit of fire which reminded me of space platforms!
. I've been switching up Halo Wars wallpaper on my laptop recently which I got from the net, super sweet and freakin free.

I am having a slight technical problem with this game though.

Twice, while playing with friends (in a party) my wireless mic shut off for a second and then came back on. When it did, my friend heard a really loud feedback noise.

Now, I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence it's only happened with Halo Wars, or if it's a bug in this game. Anyone else have this problem?

[quote name='Bretters']Looks pretty good, I don't really feel like spending money on premium themes though.

The Maw ftw[/quote]

The Maw has a premium theme?

[quote name='Immortal fWd']I ended up getting the LE only because of the insane prices the codes are getting on eBay. I get a 10% discount, so the game cost me about 77 after tax. I got 50 for the map pack and 16.50 for the wraith code, so after eBay and Paypal fees its only costing me about 15 bucks.[/quote]

Shit, the Wraith code goes for that much!? I regret using the code now :whistle2:(

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Shit, the Wraith code goes for that much!? I regret using the code now :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

Sure does. I noticed some people packing it in with the mythic maps, so I checked what they were going for alone and decided to list them separately.

Oh wow, Two Scarabs with supporting forces is a tough feat but man I was able to overcome it! Skirmish mode is so much fun and my Automatic AI dif setting went up to 77 and then I got crushed, went back down to 55 and that was with the two Scarabs! hahaha Wow the arbiter slices and dices my armies. >

[quote name='LinkinPrime']The Maw has a premium theme?[/quote]
Yeah, you get a premium theme for beating the game. :D

I considered selling the Wraith code, but it looks too cool. If it was selling as high as the gold lancer I would have though.

Arggh! Is the Scarab a gamebreaker for anyone else? Or if you feel it's a fair unit for your opponent to have, what strategies would you suggest when you hear that dreaded announcement of "Uh oh, they're building a Scarab."? I got my ass handed to me the other day in such a scenario when I tech-rushed all Scorpion upgrades. I had about 8 fully upped Scorps locked, cocked, & ready to rock (along a small battalion of Flamers, Marines, & Spartans (non-vehicled) when I hear that announcement and barely a minute later, I'm looking at the screen while my precious army, Scorps, Spartans, & all get decimated by that damn Scarab laser in a few eyeblinks. As I tried to scramble another meager David force of 3 one-teched Cobras (good for anti-vehicles) against that damn Goliath Scarab, the missiles they launched might as well have been the metaphorical stones... except in my non-biblical story, they didn't topple the giant. *sad face*

Use the Spartans to hijack the scarabs and make them your own...upgrade your turrets to be more effective against vehicles.

[quote name='Bretters']Yeah, you get a premium theme for beating the game. :D

I considered selling the Wraith code, but it looks too cool. If it was selling as high as the gold lancer I would have though.[/quote]

Interesting :whistle2:k...is it cool looking?

[quote name='jaykrue']Arggh! Is the Scarab a gamebreaker for anyone else? Or if you feel it's a fair unit for your opponent to have, what strategies would you suggest when you hear that dreaded announcement of "Uh oh, they're building a Scarab."? I got my ass handed to me the other day in such a scenario when I tech-rushed all Scorpion upgrades. I had about 8 fully upped Scorps locked, cocked, & ready to rock (along a small battalion of Flamers, Marines, & Spartans (non-vehicled) when I hear that announcement and barely a minute later, I'm looking at the screen while my precious army, Scorps, Spartans, & all get decimated by that damn Scarab laser in a few eyeblinks. As I tried to scramble another meager David force of 3 one-teched Cobras (good for anti-vehicles) against that damn Goliath Scarab, the missiles they launched might as well have been the metaphorical stones... except in my non-biblical story, they didn't topple the giant. *sad face*[/QUOTE]

Last night my opponent made 3 and I took them all out with ease. I used a team of Hawks.

[quote name='seanr1221']Last night my opponent made 3 and I took them all out with ease. I used a team of Hawks.[/quote]

Oh yeah, I forgot about flying units...good call.

While this game doesn't have the depth of a PC RTS, this is by far the best RTS on a console and it even beats out many PC RTSs i've played. Production qualities are quite high and while there's only 15 missions the variety of which you can go about them is a blast.

[quote name='Bretters']
the Wraith code, but it looks too cool[/quote]

[quote name='LinkinPrime']
...is it cool looking?[/quote]

:booty:

I got owned on my first 3vs3 online last night.

Thought I was doing good, but the one guy one our team was a total noobie, and took a lot of the spots to build a base and didn't even do anything with them. :roll:

Then came those damned scarabs...

[quote name='Sparta Omni']:booty:

I got owned on my first 3vs3 online last night.

Thought I was doing good, but the one guy one our team was a total noobie, and took a lot of the spots to build a base and didn't even do anything with them. :roll:

Then came those damned scarabs...[/quote]

I was asking about The Maw premium theme ;)

I have yet to play this online, I'm usually good at RTS missions but once I go online I tend to suck.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I was asking about The Maw premium theme ;)

I have yet to play this online, I'm usually good at RTS missions but once I go online I tend to suck.[/quote]
Ah ok, haha. I was just messing. :p

But yeah, I tend to suck online at RTS games too. There's some people out there who are just ridiculously too good.

My strategy online (playing as humans)

- Make a resource, power plant and infantry first
- Upgrade the resources
- Upgrade the base
- More resources
- Make about 3 infantry, 2 spartans and 2 warthogs and take a second base
- More resources, another power plant and air/vehicle base
- Place guns on both bases
- Take a third base, pure resources
- Win!

Any tips on defending this?

I was just playing a 2v2 online, and the other players were the covenant.

They brought over their two leaders and a tiny grunt army and just destroyed my base, I was building up my resources so I had like...3 guys and obviously I got crushed.

I'm doing the last mission and there are scarabs galore, one at a time but you'll face them more than once. Use the Cryo Bomb and then the Carpet Bomb, follow that with a MAC Blast and you'll severely weaken the thing. In multi, skirmish for me, I had to battle two Scarabs and the Cov leaders, Prophet of Regret/ Arbiter, and I was Anders. I kept bulding, cobras, scorpians and gremlins. Really if they have a scarab you should have plenty of options in taking it out. Upgrade turrets if they're trying to take out your base, use air units as well. Yea I should have used Hawks in my skirmish since I was Anders. >< I didn't think the Spartan could hijack it, never worked for me anyways.

[quote name='Spybreak8']I'm doing the last mission and there are scarabs galore, one at a time but you'll face them more than once. Use the Cryo Bomb and then the Carpet Bomb, follow that with a MAC Blast and you'll severely weaken the thing. In multi, skirmish for me, I had to battle two Scarabs and the Cov leaders, Prophet of Regret/ Arbiter, and I was Anders. I kept bulding, cobras, scorpians and gremlins. Really if they have a scarab you should have plenty of options in taking it out. Upgrade turrets if they're trying to take out your base, use air units as well. Yea I should have used Hawks in my skirmish since I was Anders. >< I didn't think the Spartan could hijack it, never worked for me anyways.[/quote]

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Use the Spartans to hijack the scarabs and make them your own...upgrade your turrets to be more effective against vehicles[/quote]

Yeah. I thought the Scarab was the only unit that was unhijackable by Spartans. But turrets didn't help me at all. I had them set to the counter-vehicle turrets but it barely scratched the Scarab. Plus I had the Arbiter & his jacked up Rage along w/ a Brute Chieftain w/ his Gravity Hammer. I was able to stop their specials w/ the Diffusion Bomb but they still had their powerful melee attacks & sapped my bases (yes, plural :bomb:). Plus the Scarab has no specials that can be blocked. And Hawks are only available to Anders... I was Cptn. Cutter. :cry:

[quote name='seanr1221']Any tips on defending this?

I was just playing a 2v2 online, and the other players were the covenant.

They brought over their two leaders and a tiny grunt army and just destroyed my base, I was building up my resources so I had like...3 guys and obviously I got crushed.[/quote]

If it's early game, I usually set the turrets to flamethrower to prevent early rushes and flamethrowers work very well against the Arbiter & Brute Chieftain. The Prophet of Regret is considered a vehicle* so your turrets would need to be set as such but I find it easier to drop a Diffusion Bomb to disable his special attack and attack w/ infantry.

*early game only as his final upgrade makes him a full fledged air unit and he won't have that until mid/late-game.

[quote name='jaykrue']

If it's early game, I usually set the turrets to flamethrower to prevent early rushes and flamethrowers work very well against the Arbiter & Brute Chieftain. The Prophet of Regret is considered a vehicle* so your turrets would need to be set as such but I find it easier to drop a Diffusion Bomb to disable his special attack and attack w/ infantry.

*early game only as his final upgrade makes him a full fledged air unit and he won't have that until mid/late-game.[/QUOTE]

Good call, I'll keep that in mind.

I think when I play as Anders I'm going to start making 3 airports to get Hawks out quickly. Seems like the best strategy to me.

Beat the game last night and all I gotta say is wow awesome ending. I agree that the campaign was a bit short but compare that to many modern games now and its becoming the norm. I mean I would have liked a Covenant campaign and possibly a Flood one but if we'd have to wait as long as Starcraft 2 than forget it. Also it was varied enough that each mission felt fresh in my opinion. I really like the ending credits song, relaxing.

Thanks for the free pdf Prime.

So I made my own Halo Wars theme, this would be perfect if I could get a dark circle on the bottom instead of white, too bad you can't customize your themes anymore. ><

just finished the campaign today...a brilliant ride (albeit, on the short side). I can definitely see myself replaying thru this and keeping it for the multi (i'm a big rts fan). If any one wants to go thru campaign or skirmish, feel free to shoot me an invite/add.

I'm having a bit of a problem. In the very first stage, I have no problem getting the 100 grunts to make the skull appear, but once that final grunt goes down, the stage ends. I moved on and now I went back and replayed the stage later on and the skull isn't there. How am I supposed to get it if the stage seems to end after the final grunt goes down?

Well I haven't gotten that one either, I only had 99 and the mission ended so I don't think its 100 for the victory condition or maybe I got that one at the end? My only advise is know where the skull will spawn so the next time you play the mission, and you take out 100 grunts, you can hopefully grab it before the mission success screen.

My fav skull is the one that gives the Scarab luv power lol, hey look hearts!

That one is pretty easy I think. All you have to do is rush the base area with your warthogs and run over as many as possible before the carpet bombs drop onto the wraiths inside. Then just make sure to leave at least one group alive (I generally leave the southern most groups in cover).

The one I have a problem with is being able to run over 50 grunts with the warthog in that level. Rest that I've gone for I haven't really had a problem with.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Well I haven't gotten that one either, I only had 99 and the mission ended so I don't think its 100 for the victory condition or maybe I got that one at the end? My only advise is know where the skull will spawn so the next time you play the mission, and you take out 100 grunts, you can hopefully grab it before the mission success screen.

My fav skull is the one that gives the Scarab luv power lol, hey look hearts![/quote]

[quote name='opterasis']I'm having a bit of a problem. In the very first stage, I have no problem getting the 100 grunts to make the skull appear, but once that final grunt goes down, the stage ends. I moved on and now I went back and replayed the stage later on and the skull isn't there. How am I supposed to get it if the stage seems to end after the final grunt goes down?[/quote]

It's really quite easy. After you rescue the first marines, select all your units (Forge & a warthog) and run 'past' the first grunts and leave the warthog just outside of the grunts' visible range*. Continue to decimate your way to Alpha Base. When you get to Alpha Base, take in Marines only, no warthogs. The Warthogs are too strong and will most likely kill the Elites. Do hit & runs on the grunt squads near the entrance until Forge's special attack happens (carpet bomb). Proceed to bring 2 squads of marines and defeat every grunt squad except the last 2 on the top right corner of the base. For the last 2, go in w/ the 2 marine squads and normal attack only (if you grenade, you risk killing the Elites) until all the grunts are dead and retreat when the Elites are the last ones standing. Your grunt count should be at 99 and the scenario should still be active. Now take that warthog you left at the beginning and kill the remaining grunts. The skull should activate and is at
the location where the final group of marines were rescued.
Use any unit to pick the skull up and then finish off the Elites & the mission is done.

*which is if you can't see them, they can't see you

Really quite simple would probably be just a few sentences lol. Man I just did a skirmish on Terminal Moraine and got handed a new one, since my ally AI suckeeed, and the only way I survived was by building a base on the far left where the light bridge connects it to the main land area. I must have played this map for hours it seemed as I micro defensed the region and built up a few vultures. Using the vultures and a lot of other strategy I was able to defeat that darn 2 AI computers, holy crap it was a work load. I then got the Titan achievement! My auto dif is now at 71. Oh I must have faced at least 6 Scarabs with that skirmish and tons of Hunters and Wraiths.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Spybreak8']Really quite simple would probably be just a few sentences lol. [/quote] Trust me, it is. I'm just a wordy mofo.:cool:

Just got done playing through the campaign. This game is a lot better than I thought it was going to be. I'm not usually a huge fan of RTS since I'm not very good at these type of games, but this game is pretty good!

I played online and I'm 2-3 so far. My two victories were landslide victories, and my 3 losses were landslide losses. Looking forward to improving my game though.

I'm still having trouble on Mission 1 getting the achievement and the skull, but I'll keep trying I'm sure I'll get it eventually.

[quote name='gamcreator']Just got done playing through the campaign. This game is a lot better than I thought it was going to be. I'm not usually a huge fan of RTS since I'm not very good at these type of games, but this game is pretty good!

I played online and I'm 2-3 so far. My two victories were landslide victories, and my 3 losses were landslide losses. Looking forward to improving my game though.

I'm still having trouble on Mission 1 getting the achievement and the skull, but I'll keep trying I'm sure I'll get it eventually.[/quote]

Its really tricky, just make sure your playing on heroic and you try to ram as many of the grunts before the carpet bombs come in. Also, you could turn some skulls on to make the grunts more powerful and the one that reduces unit power recharge time.

They really need a separate skull menu or once you activate the darn things they permanently stay active until you exit to the menu!

I never just rush through the game anymore so I couldn't tell ya. Even if you finish the campaign you'll want to replay each mission, (to get skulls and black boxes or other achievements), which you can do individually or sequential again. There is also skirmish that will keep you busy for a long time.

bread's done
Back