Halo Wars - Gen. Discussion & Info

should be pretty sick. They designed it around the 360 control so it shouldn't suffer the control problems of games like C&C, and BFME.

I just don't get how there can be a fair game between console and PC RTS games...

*Edit: "Strangely enough, we’ve also heard some people claim that the game, confirmed to have co-operative play, will allow the PC amigos to create their own maps (as is usual with Ensemble’s games) and in addition to that, play those with gamers on the Xbox 360. Apparently, this makes cross-platform gaming the only way Xbox 360 owners will be able to play on custom maps on the console. Since our insider couldn’t confirm or deny this little detail, we’ll just dismiss this as wishful thinking, since Microsoft is usually intolerably harsh when it comes to custom content on Xbox LIVE. (Unreal Tournament III, anyone?)"

If this is true (about custom maps), then they need to release the level/map creator for free so that 360 owners can still make the maps and then try them out on the 360.

[quote name='slavefive']Yes, I am. I've never played an RTS before, but I'm a sucker for Halo. So, there ya go.[/quote]

Same here. Ive tried out the demo or C&C 3 for the 360 and Im pretty sure its good, but I have no idea what the whole story is, unlike Halo in the other hand....even if I hardly play any RTS games, I know what it is or its all about so it'll be easier for me to understand and hopefully play it.......you know?

My friends are all over Halo Wars. You can say they're Halo fanboys. I'll be getting this just for my friends. Still, I enjoy some RTS games once in a while. :)

I'll wait for the PC version (and for a GoGamer deal on it, Halo Wars looks pretty generic and boring). There is no way I'm going to play an RTS on a console.

I love RTS games and like Halo, but I can't imagine playing an RTS on a console. Unless they do the controls really well or there's a great deal on it, I'm waiting for it to come out on PC.

I guess you guys haven't played Lord of the Rings or Command and Conquer for the 360 because both of those games have spectacular controls.

[quote name='jughead']I'm a pretty big halo fan, but I need mouse and keyboard for RTS. I'll wait 'til it hits the bargain bins.[/quote]
Yeah same here, it seems like its going to be pretty cool but when you compare Xbox 360 rts games to pc games (if you're like me and enjoys playing rts's on pc) the controls just suck major bawls!!!

I’m interested in the game. I like to play the single player part of RTS games, but I stink at them. I’m just unable to think fast enough to figure out what to do. So, I usually just play through on easy.

My friend and I had a bet about Halo Wars and he says it was released on XBLM.

He said he saw a "Halo Wars - Complete version" item on Live and some people back him saying they saw it too. What was that? A demo? He said it was 1700 MS points.

I have been off the Xbox a bit so I don't know much about it.

It isn't what?
You guys are hard to follow.

If Wikipedia, Metacritic and about every major gaming site says it is not released, what was this? He's not clear on the detail but he says he saw it and it was 1700 points. Oddly enough 2 peoplecan back up his claim.

Sort this out for me, I'm sleepy.

[quote name='N1c0_ds']My friend and I had a bet about Halo Wars and he says it was released on XBLM.

He said he saw a "Halo Wars - Complete version" item on Live and some people back him saying they saw it too. What was that? A demo? He said it was 1700 MS points.

I have been off the Xbox a bit so I don't know much about it.[/QUOTE]

Are you fucking retarded?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Are you fucking retarded?[/quote]
I'm going to have to agree with this. First off, anyone with a brain can see the game isn't out. Secondly, it's not coming out as a downloadable. Third, NOTHING has EVER been 1700 MS points, and nothing ever will.

CE announced:

Microsoft has announced that Halo Wars, the Halo-themed RTS from Ensemble Studios, will launch in February 2009. Furthermore, the company has announced that a limited edition version of the game will be released and detailed its contents. Retailing for $79.99, the limited edition of Halo Wars includes:

• Three new Halo 3 (not Halo Wars) multiplayer maps. The maps include Assembly, Orbital, and Sandbox. You might recognize those maps as the upcoming Mythic Map Pack.
  • Halo Wars: Genesis -- A graphic novel by Phil Noto, Ensemble's own Graeme Devine and Halo novelist Eric Nylund. The novel details the first human conflict with the Covenant and "centers around the Sprit of Fire on a mission to discover why the Covenant are so interested in the world of Harvest."
  • The "Honor Guard" Wraith in-game vehicle
  • Six "Leader Cards." Trading cards, we're guessing, or something like them.
  • Spirit of Fire Patch. You know, the iron-on kind. Have fun explaining what it means to your non-gaming friends.
The press release also notes that those who pre-order at certain (unannounced) retailers will get a code to unlock a Warthog vehicle with flame decals.

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/11/06/halo-wars-releases-in-feb-le-comes-with-mythic-map-pack/

Reminds me of the Fable 2 CE announcement. It will be down to $70 with most of the extras cut out a few weeks before launch. ;)

I'll probably pick up the LE to get the new Halo 3 maps, but I feel like this could have easily been $10 more instead of $20.

It will look nice next to my Halo 1 reg, Halo 2 and 3 CEs and Bookended with Legendary Helmets. It's definitely worth it too if anyone was planning on getting Halo Wars and the Mythic Map pack. I'll Definitely be getting the CE.

I hate RTS, but I have to say that is a brilliant idea of them enticing hardcore fans with the mythic mappack.

Still not buying it though.

The game is easy to control and fairly east to get the hang of. I'm not good at rts games at all, but I got the hang of the gameplay pretty quick when I got to try it out two months ago. They should put up a demo so that everyone can try it out. But it is MS and they probably won't.

Feb? Bleh too soon imho. By then Far Cry, Left for Dead and all the XMas hot titles I missed will be on sale one way or another. Not to mention Street Fighter fucking 4 comes out that month, and RE4 the following month.

This probably won't sell as well even with the Halo name and hopefully I can grab it cheap in no time.

With the flood being announced recently this is starting to look like they're adapting to the starcraft forumula. Human, Alien, Bug with the all mighty strategy standard of 3 factions. I'll be getting it since I love RTS games/RTS games on the console have been around for a while now and most of the kinks have been ironed out. Will probably pick this up with gift cards I get from christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='help1']I hate RTS, but I have to say that is a brilliant idea of them enticing hardcore fans with the mythic mappack.

Still not buying it though.[/quote]

More like a stupid idea since the Mythic map pack will be $10, and this limited edition being $80 is exactly $10 more than a typical limited edition at $70. Hmmm... I guarantee this would be $70 if not for the map pack.

You know after looking at gameplay videos and most importantly the one where the UNSC commander builds up his base, activates the gate, takes out the Scarab and then destroys the Covenant base it appears that they're using a similar control grouping theme as Universe at War. All of one type are seperated for easy acess to, like auto grouping. This worked great with UAW. Tapping A selects units but holding down A gives you a nice brush select and you can also grab all of your units by use of the shoulder button. Quite frankley this looks solid control wise and I am a RTS PC guy.

I want to like this because of my Halo obsession, but the gameplay vids just don't look very exciting. Can anyone recommend an RTS for the 360 for someone to try that's never been into RTS'? I need to get a feel for how these games play.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I want to like this because of my Halo obsession, but the gameplay vids just don't look very exciting. Can anyone recommend an RTS for the 360 for someone to try that's never been into RTS'? I need to get a feel for how these games play.[/quote]Lord of the Rings BfME2. It's a great game. End War just realeased and interests me, but it's controlled using the mic, so it won't really give you a feel for RTS games.

[quote name='Ziv']The game is easy to control and fairly east to get the hang of. I'm not good at rts games at all, but I got the hang of the gameplay pretty quick when I got to try it out two months ago. They should put up a demo so that everyone can try it out. But it is MS and they probably won't.[/quote]

You know after reading this interview, that is exactly what they wanted to achieve.:applause:
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20835
An educational read How Ensemble is going to get Halo Fans into Halo Wars.

Ok controls seem to be set and you can now throw grenades but lets just hope the framerate doesn't suffer as with any other RTS 360 games.

bread's done
Back