Halo Wars - Gen. Discussion & Info

Halo Wars' official US release date is now March 3rd.

Special edition is $79.99:

halowarsCE785_screen.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone been able to obtain a code for pre-ordering the game yet?

I went to my local GS, but they didn't know anything about the code.

Amazon has the code advertised as being released within 10 days of the game; but I like a physical card to hold onto.

Does anyone know of retailers with card codes yet? For example, sometimes Best Buy has green xbox 360 game cases with the code inside.

I'm going to guess that what Amazon has posted is either true or false, but there's probably no way to tell at this point. I don't know how far away this game is from being released, but I'm going to have to say that they may be stating something true.

It could be a smart thing what they are doing, or maybe not.

I'm going to say probably all retailers are going to do what Amazon is doing right non.

Considering the game isn't set for release until March, I really wouldn't expect retailers to have a card before early February. My guess is though is that it'll be like with Amazon, where you won't be able to get it til about a week before release.

I'll try the demo, but my hopes for this game are at about 3%.

Also, for people who get the LE of this game, remember the exploit on the Map Pack like the stuff back in early December.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'll try the demo, but my hopes for this game are at about 3%.

Also, for people who get the LE of this game, remember the exploit on the Map Pack like the stuff back in early December.[/quote]
What exploit?

This is what KingBroly told me when I PM'd him about the exploit:

[quote name='KingBroly']Back when the NXE first came out, they introduced the Marketplace on the internet where you could put stuff into a queue to download stuff automatically to your 360 when you next turned it on. Every piece of content got its' own webpage.

Including stuff that wasn't supposed to be there including the Gears of War 2 Limited Edition Only Golden Lancer skin, which was free. This allowed a lot of people (myself included) to download it even though we didn't get the limited edition.

Microsoft closed the exploit by putting stuff like that at 9999 MS points. However, we don't know if this will be any different, or if the 3 Halo 3 maps will be 800 points like it will be when it goes public.

Hope that helps.[/quote]

Basically, what it sounds like he's saying, is that everyone might be able to get access to the new maps once Halo Wars is out, by going through the web and getting into it that way.

I am sure they are ready to protect that exploit....... With the 9999 MS points or even higher.....

I'm excited for this. Not because its halo, but because its being developed by Ensemble Studios, the same people that made the Age of Empires games(my favorite pc game).

So, apparently the US Release date is March 3rd, while everyone else gets it February 26-28th. Why do we get it later? No idea.

[quote name='KingBroly']So, apparently the US Release date is March 3rd, while everyone else gets it February 26-28th. Why do we get it later? No idea.[/quote]

Well lets see RTS games are big in the Asian countries... Where is Xbox trying to become a bigger name in? Asia so makes sense to launch a very well done RTS on consoles (which are normally known for being crap) in a country where RTS is big... Hey if it helps MS get a bigger name there I am all for it.

I didn't mean the above sarcastically. Sorry if it came off that way...

[quote name='greyzieoriental']So any news if the new maps will be on the disc or a download code?
If it's on the disc i'd happily get the collectors edition.[/QUOTE]

What's the difference? If it's a code it'll show up in your download history and you can re-download anytime you want.

[quote name='Corvin']What's the difference? If it's a code it'll show up in your download history and you can re-download anytime you want.[/QUOTE]

Depends if you have any real life friends, if you don't it wouldn't matter. If you do, then sharing is caring.

I heard that the Mythic maps are being released 3rd March? Two days before the Halo Wars demo. Surely that can't be right? Otherwise the whole bonus of getting the maps with the limited edition is pretty worthless.

[quote name='saunderscowie']I heard that the Mythic maps are being released 3rd March? Two days before the Halo Wars demo. Surely that can't be right? Otherwise the whole bonus of getting the maps with the limited edition is pretty worthless.[/QUOTE]

Halo Wars Demo February 5th.
Halo Wars comes out March 3rd.

I think I read from Bungie.net that the maps will not be released until after Halo Wars is out and they have no definite date yet.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']Halo Wars Demo February 5th.
Halo Wars comes out March 3rd.

I think I read from Bungie.net that the maps will not be released until after Halo Wars is out and they have no definite date yet.[/quote]

Oh right, I must of just misread.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']Depends if you have any real life friends, if you don't it wouldn't matter. If you do, then sharing is caring.[/QUOTE]

Good point! Here's hoping they're on the disc! :lol:

What's up with Sandbox? They couldn't come up with anything better than a similar name as SandTrap?

from Bungie.net
Q. Can’t I just pick it up on Marketplace as DLC in exchange for my hard-earned monies?

A. Sure. You'll just to have to wait a little while. We don’t have any date or pricing information for you yet, but we can say that the Mythic Map Pack, which includes Assembly, Orbital, and Sandbox, will ultimately make its way to the Xbox Live Marketplace as a standalone purchase. As soon as we have more details, we'll spill the beans. No need to continue the digital interrogation.

And Assembly is supposedly a Midship ReMake? no complaints here
I haven't seen anything on Sandbox yet, but yea they could've came up with a better name

edit: Thanks Linkin

[quote name='greyzieoriental']
And Assembly is supposedly a Midship ReMake? no complaints here
[/QUOTE]

I don't have a problem with remakes, I'd be a happy clam if every map from the first two games made their way into Halo 3. I do have a problem with them charging $3.33 for a remake though.

Assembly is a new map. There's footage of people playing on it at PAX this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHi9AEr0LdY

The rumored Midship remake is Heretic I believe, which is one of the maps which will be coming with ODST along with Citadel and Longshore.

And I'm glad the maps will be released on Live the same day. I'd rather have it be like a week to make it sort of exclusive, but it'll mean more people on Live to play on the maps with.

[quote name='spree4567']
The rumored Midship remake is Heretic I believe, which is one of the maps which will be coming with ODST along with Citadel and Longshore.

And I'm glad the maps will be released on Live the same day. I'd rather have it be like a week to make it sort of exclusive, but it'll mean more people on Live to play on the maps with.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Heretic must've been the one, I knew I heard something about a midship remake.

If you read the link again it shows this:

"Update: Microsoft just informed us that the Mythic Map Pack will be available bundled with Halo Wars CE on March 3rd and will release as a stand alone XBLM download later this Spring."

I'm guessing later this spring means not March 3rd, I do wish something changes between now and then.

[quote name='YodaEXE']This is what KingBroly told me when I PM'd him about the exploit:

Basically, what it sounds like he's saying, is that everyone might be able to get access to the new maps once Halo Wars is out, by going through the web and getting into it that way.[/QUOTE]

It's a silly promotion anyway. People that buy Halo Wars will, presumably, be playing Halo Wars, not Halo 3 multiplayer. Not to mention the pool of people with the new maps is going to be minuscule at best. They should put the maps up the day Halo Wars is released. It's still a nice little bonus with the HW:SE for those that are interested in both.

[quote name='xycury']This game is for the PC right? too?

I mean... it's a RTS and yet on a console... it doesn't compute.[/quote]
Nope, 360 only. And the reviews are showing that the controls are well done and that it plays well. I know Red Alert 3 and a couple others have been on the 360 and played pretty well.

[quote name='YodaEXE']Nope, 360 only. And the reviews are showing that the controls are well done and that it plays well. I know Red Alert 3 and a couple others have been on the 360 and played pretty well.[/quote]

Still doesn't matter... making this 360 only is just a fail for not realizing that there is a market of Halo on the PC too.

I don't mind if it comes out half a year later but keeping it on the 360 is selfish.

And still could not stand to do a RTS with a controller...

And RA3 shouldn't be that hard to control either.

I wondered how SupComs controls are...

Halo started out a PC game until MS bought Bungie. :bomb:
It's amazing how MS treats their own customers as second rate.

You need Windows to play the game, but NO, thats not enough. You have to have Vista. You have to wait 2 years. You have to put up with horrible performance and game breaking bugs.

Trying to play Halo and Gears on the PC is like trying to play any other shooter drunk with no thumbs.

[quote name='xycury']Still doesn't matter... making this 360 only is just a fail for not realizing that there is a market of Halo on the PC too.

I don't mind if it comes out half a year later but keeping it on the 360 is selfish.

And still could not stand to do a RTS with a controller...

And RA3 shouldn't be that hard to control either.

I wondered how SupComs controls are...[/quote]

So the demo is already up on the Marketplace (people have been given/won codes to download it, we just can't see it yet) so does anyone who already got it want to share the xbox.com marketplace link from their download history? :). If it's like past demos and some arcade games all we need to download it a few days early is to have the direct link for the Marketplace page and we can add it to our download queues. I know it's due out tomorrow anyway but I'd like to play it now :bouncy:.

[quote name='JimmyH']So the demo is already up on the Marketplace (people have been given/won codes to download it, we just can't see it yet) so does anyone who already got it want to share the xbox.com marketplace link from their download history? :). If it's like past demos and some arcade games all we need to download it a few days early is to have the direct link for the Marketplace page and we can add it to our download queues. I know it's due out tomorrow anyway but I'd like to play it now :bouncy:.[/quote]

No...the winners were given a one time use code to redeem on the XBOX Live Marketplace...just as they have done in the past. We'll all get our chance tomorrow...or if we're lucky late tonight!

[quote name='LinkinPrime']No...the winners were given a one time use code to redeem on the XBOX Live Marketplace...just as they have done in the past. We'll all get our chance tomorrow...or if we're lucky late tonight![/quote]I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Anyone who downloads an item from Marketplace (demos included) will have the option to redownload it in their download histories. Your download history can be accessed on xbox.com and links to every item can be accessed (even stuff that the general public doesn't have access to). Typically with free items such as demos or "exclusive" DLC anyone with access to the respective Marketplace item link can add it to their download queue to be automatically downloaded the next time their 360 is switched on. This has been the case for plenty of exclusive content and demos in the past. As long as the item doesn't have a MSP value it can usually be added to anyones download queue without the need for special code. A couple of past examples were the L4D demo and Gears of War gold Lancer amongst countless other freebie items that were supposedly "exclusive".

bread's done
Back