Has Quizno's gone down hill?

Rodimus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
I used to love Quiznos years ago, especially when I was in college. It was a bit pricy but IMO worth it. I would say the last year or 2 I've noticed a decline in both quailty and quanity of food, but still priced the same. It's just not the same anymore. So for those of you who like/liked it, has Quizno's gone to the shiter?

I don't even know where to find one around me anymore. All of the franchises that were near my house closed and vacated before the expiration of their lease.

I don't think Quiznos was ever up a hill. Eh, I shouldn't be commenting - for less than it costs to eat there I can get a real sammich at a real NY deli any time I want.

[quote name='nasum']I don't even know where to find one around me anymore. All of the franchises that were near my house closed and vacated before the expiration of their lease.[/QUOTE]

Same here. We had like 9 franchises close this year. They sucked anyway and would never honor Quizno's coupons.

Most of them closed up around me as well. They were really expensive but insanely good. I loved their prime rib and peppercorn sandwich and I dearly miss it.

I feel the same way.

All of the quality of the food seems to have dipped a bit and it's not really worth it anymore. The one closest to me is still open, although most of the ones in Center City Philadelphia have closed.

So they're closing down everywhere I see. There's still several around me but the one near my work (which was good) closed down a fews years back. If I wasn't in the mood for a sub they had yummy bread bowls and salads. I heard someone say the bread bowls are back but I'm reluctant to try them now, and the salads aren't that good anymore either.

I'm not saying they compare to your local places (nothing ever will) but as a chain it was good at one point. I'm guessing Subway kicked their ass with $5 footlongs.

Considering the last time I ate there, I would say yes they have gone downhill. The company has had some serious financial trouble as well. I think they were having trouble meeting their debt covenants, aka deep shit. Same store sales were also down 15% yoy. They are probably fucked.

Only thing I miss about Quiznos is the Prime Rib with Au Jus dip. Other than that I could care less, EVERY single one I've ever visited never accepted their own coupons (and I'm talking about official coupons you would find from the Sunday paper).

I enjoyed the sub with the au juy dip also.. I guess once Subway started doing toasted subs after Quiznos came out it bent them over backwards.. I usually goto Firehouse or Subway now. We've got a good place called Jersey Mikes down here also that slices the meat right in front of you.

I'm a bit of a meatball sub connoisseur and Firehouse's sweet n' spicy meatball sub is delicious. I don't think it's on the menu so you might have to ask for it. Quizno's meatball was never tasty and Subway was a little better than Quizno's but still nothing special.

Their bread is pretty awful as it always breaks on me and everything falls out the other end.

I do still love their pepper bar. Although that honey mustard sure does give me heart burn (its the only thing that ever does... but its sooooo good)

[quote name='nasum']I don't even know where to find one around me anymore. All of the franchises that were near my house closed and vacated before the expiration of their lease.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I haven't seen a quiznos is probably a year. There used to be a half dozen all fairly close, but they closed up one right after the other ages ago.

I used to really prefer Quiznos over Subway but after the last couple times going there and their Prime Rib dip or Steakhouse sandwhich only being warm instead of hot and melty has turned me off.

That and I can get a similar footlong sub (toasted) at Subway for $5 if I go at the right time has turned me off them.

I live in Connecticut, we didn't even really start getting any here until 2005 or so...

Subway is really the only fast food I eat aside from the occasional run for the border, and I loved Quizno's over Subway and even made it my normal Friday night dinner cause I used to get home around 8.

Then, the franchises around me just got weird. The one from my hometown was closed on Sundays (wtf) and always closed at 8 on other nights. Much worse than that was the Quizno's I started going to near my house (near as in 12 minutes away) Would randomly close early all the time "because it was slow..." Basically, the fucking workers didn't give a shit about working until when they were supposed to.

Then 3 of the 4 I would go to, closed. So basically there is one left, the one that closed early a lot. They have new owners and actually stay open until their scheduled hours, but I stopped caring almost 2 years ago.

Funny this thread was started though, as I actually went on Saturday night to get a sub there. I wouldn't say it's gone downhill food-wise, though they did change most of their menu and they no longer have options they did. I used to love that Red Bell Pepper sauce. gone.

So anyways, Quizno's basically killed itself. It's sandwiches did tower above the rest.

What can you do when you have Subway in one corner and Jimmy John's in the other. It's sad that people lose their jobs because of management flops though.

Jimmy John's is another that just opened up by me. I've went a couple times and I liked it. Maybe I haven't ordered the right sub yet so I'll give them another shot sometime.

Where do you all live? Up and down California there are a ton of Quiznos everywhere. I'm surprised to hear of them apparently vanishing everywhere else. They are pretty pricey though, but most of their subs are more along the lines of Subway "premium" subs which are only $5 a few times a year it seems.

Almost all of ours closed as well, I liked them much better than subway, but Firehouse is my place now... Awesome quality subs, worth the extra money IMO

[quote name='starmask2k3']SUB_WAY killed THEm[/QUOTE]

Until Subway just started selling their stores to middle eastern people. Now Subway is shit too.

Owner: "Whakinebreh?"
Me: "What?"
Owner: "Whakinebreh?"
Me: "What?"
Owner: points at picture "What. Kind. Bread?"
Me: "Oh, uhm...italian."
Owner: "Youwontose?"

fucking dick was totally oblivious that me and nobody else had any clue what the fuck he was saying. Like we were all retarded and hard of hearing. Place went to shit since he took over. Sandwiches are total slopjobs and the soup is just tossed into a microwave on the spot, not cooked on a range in a pot. Even Wendys doesn't resort to that lazy-ass shit with their chili. Granted, you might get some "floor burger" in the chili, but at least it's cooked and not nuked.

Jimmy Johns is probably my favorite now. But the lucky people are those that have access to a Big John. Mine's in the ghetto...similar to the story above, only with mild variation.

[quote name='kodave']Up and down California there are a ton of Quiznos everywhere.[/QUOTE]

Where in CA are you? In my town, 4 out of our 5 locations have gone the way of Circuit City...

I rarely post, but I felt compelled to say something on the topic.

I used to LOVE Quiznos!

About 4 years ago they stopped offering the sandwich I ordered (it had like 3 types of meats and a sweet sauce). After about 2 years after that, MOST of the quiznos I went to in Northern California closed down.

I read a report where a Quiznos owner shot himself in the bathroom of his franchise to prove a point. Basically, the franchises were set to fail with very tiny profit margins if everything went right.

He accused Quiznos of being an unfair company :(

Regardless, those sandwiches were GODLY and now they don't offer a large variety or have many locations open.

A Tragedy.

A few Quizno's closed in the last few months that I can think of. Not that I care, cause I never really liked the place. Whenever I want a subpar sandwich (rarely), I'd just go to Subway, cause it's cheaper and usually closer. I never really liked any of the chain sandwich places. A Quizno's opened on campus when I was still in school, but I ate there probably 5 times in 2 years, because it's like $8 for an 8".

[quote name='pacifickarma']Where in CA are you? In my town, 4 out of our 5 locations have gone the way of Circuit City...[/QUOTE]

Between Bay Area, LA/OC, and I'm in San Diego a bit too. Never noticed any shortage of Quiznos.

[quote name='kodave']Between Bay Area, LA/OC, and I'm in San Diego a bit too. Never noticed any shortage of Quiznos.[/QUOTE]

Yeah they are everywhere in Cali, though I'll take in and out any day over Quiznos

[quote name='kodave']Between Bay Area, LA/OC, and I'm in San Diego a bit too. Never noticed any shortage of Quiznos.[/QUOTE]

Two of them in the Kearny Mesa, San Diego area closed, I think...

[quote name='razrvamp']Yeah they are everywhere in Cali, though I'll take in and out any day over Quiznos[/QUOTE]

Well now, that's an entirely different discussion when you bring fast food burgers into the equation!

[quote name='kodave']Well now, that's an entirely different discussion when you bring fast food burgers into the equation![/QUOTE]

True, but I love me some in and out. I recently had the chance to try 5 guys they are really good too. Screw it F Quiznos, bring on the burgers

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Until Subway just started selling their stores to middle eastern people. Now Subway is shit too.[/QUOTE]

Almost all of the Subways in my area have been owned by Indian people for the last 15 years.

I agree Quiznos has gone down a little. My main beef now-a-days deals with the chicken. In the past, it use to not sit inside whatever fluid they dunk it in. This herb flavoring kills some of the sandwiches. On top of that, the chicken seems to be a slightly lower grade of chicken from what it used to be.

Beyond that, I enjoy the sandwiches. My location has a really good staff. They still have cards (buy 6 get 1) which is something the other sandwiches shops have given up.

To the other places...
Subway - 2 pieces of meat, no thanks. Mixed with the fact that most fountain drink choices (at any location have gone to) have a fruit punch tint. Not all of us like fruit punch in our coke products.
Jimmy Johns - by far the worst of all the places. Their bread sucks.

In addition to Quiznos, I use Firehouse and Jersey Mikes.

Seem about the same as always around me. There's 2 near my campus that I eat ate semi often as the give discounts to faculty and students--10% before 2 and 20% after two.

I think sub-consciously the $5 footlong campaign just turned me off to Quizno's. I ate there all the time one summer years ago and then just never went back. Can't really explain it, but I just have no desire for their pricey subs.

Same here. Now all I have is a sad.

Yep the quality has defiantly taken a nose dive, on the plus side we seem to be getting a bunch of Jimmy Johns which is much better than Quizno's or Subway.

[quote name='Jodou']I think sub-consciously the $5 footlong campaign just turned me off to Quizno's. I ate there all the time one summer years ago and then just never went back. Can't really explain it, but I just have no desire for their pricey subs.[/QUOTE]
In case you weren't aware, Quizno has $5 footlongs too as part of their Toasty Favorites series. Veggie, Ham, Roast Beef, and unlike Subway they offer Turkey and Turkey/Ham as part of them. Note Quiznos gives more meat than Subway without a surcharge.

All the quiznos closed years ago in my area. IMO a primerib sandwich at 12 bucks a pop can get me a real prime rib dinner for 5 bucks more aka Delmonicos

[quote name='DurbanBrown']never eat there really, i dont like crunchy toasty bread. subway/firehouse for me![/QUOTE]
Firehouse is insanely good, if I want a real sandwich that's where I go.

Several things that pretty much killed Quiznos off:

1 - Subway's $5 promotion. Enough said.

2 - Horrible ads. Yeah Subway's Any Any Any* ads are annoying all on their own but seriously Quiznos has them beat by a mile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5KhP11BRj4

Suddenly Any Any Any* is kinda catchy sounding after you hear that wall of noise.

*Side rant: Yeah you can put "regular" in the ads maybe once or twice but when you have "any any any" repeated so often then most people aren't going to pay attention to that barely mentioned "regular" part in the ad. Yeah Subway has improved those ads a bit compared to when they first started the $5 promotion in which absolutely no mention of that at all was in the ads.

3 - Location, location, location. Let's face it Quiznos are often times sparse to find as is and you'd probably are going to pass at least several Subway locations on the way to one. Or other probably superior sandwich shops. This is similar to what happened to Circuit City in some respect because Circuit City often times had their stores in horrible locations that were a pain to get in/out of not to mention people often times didn't even know the store was there.... despite most of them being across the street from Best Buy. :lol:

4 - Customer service. The last time I went to Quiznos was several years ago. The sandwich I got had next to no chicken on it. I complained only to get told that "this is the standard amount we put on." I stopped going. That location is now closed. Then again Subway is guilty of this too when it comes to veggies.... so meh.

Last time I went to Quiznos was like a year ago, and I remember getting a lot more food and it tasting better for the price in the past, was not impressed.

I prefer Subway now anyway, Veggie Delight with sweet onion sauce on their 9-grain whole wheat bread is pretty delicious.

bread's done
Back