Have XBOX But I want another Console. Should I get PS2 or Gamecube?

hotwls13

CAGiversary!
Feedback
89 (100%)
I'm not sure if this the right place, but here goes. I have an XBOX But I want another Console in addition to my xbox. I like First Person Shooters, racing games, fighting games and Tiger Woods Golf. I also have an 8 year old son and it looks as though the other two consoles have more kid friendly games. I have enough credit to buy a new console at my blockbuster, but the only one they have is Gamecube. The gamecube is $50 cheaper than the PS2, but are the graphics and the games on Gamecube as good as PS2? Should I get PS2 or Gamecube?

Any advise is appreciated.

[quote name='nonggame']can you wait just a little more ? 'cause the xbox will come down to 99 very very soon..[/quote]
I don't think it will drop until May.

I feel personally the the xbox and PS2 are the most similar. If u feel the same way I think the cube is the best option. Its got games that can be accessible to the whole family. Its cheaper, it has the best wireless controller, and it has the big N's franchise of characters.

I would say Cube. It has better graphics than the PS2. Plus you can get the Mario Kart bundle with 2 controllers and the game for only $99.

gamecube graphics are better than the ps2 and there are WAY more kid friendly titles available. you should get the cube anyway for resident evil 4!

[quote name='nonggame']can you wait just a little more ? 'cause the xbox will come down to 99 very very soon..[/quote]

Nobody knows this for sure, and he already has an Xbox...

I'd suggest getting a Cube, cheaper and it just seems different from the Xbox/PS2 to me. Although on the other hand it seems like deals on Cube games are harder to come by than Xbox and PS2 deals.

If you can get want of the gamecube bundles with MK: DD and an extra controller I'd say get a cube otherwise its really just a toss up

[quote name='Indiana']I would say Cube. It has better graphics than the PS2. Plus you can get the Mario Kart bundle with 2 controllers and the game for only $99.[/quote]

OK, I am convinced to get the cube.

Where can I get this bundle? Do they have it at blockbuster? If not, what is the best process to end up with that bundle somehow using my credit at blocbuster? For example what could I buy at blockbuster and trade somewhere else to get the bundle?

Thanks

I would say get the cube especially if they still have the mario kart bundle anywhere near you with 2 controllers and mario kart for 100 bucks. No way you can beat the deal. With the new systems on the horizon i wouldnt waste 150 on a ps2. Gamecube however is really cheap already and it is by far the most kid friendly.

I'd also recommend the Cube. It has a ton of exclusive titles that are family friendly and most of the older (but still awesome) games are easily available for $20 or less.

I faced the same decision a few months back when getting a second console and it seemed that the PS2 didn't have that many great exclusives, except for the cool/strange Japanese RPG's.
If that's not really your thing, Definately grab a Cube.

Also, I second the advice about the MKDD bundle. Seems like Target is the best place to find them but various people have still found them at the major game stores.

to answer your question about graphics and games on the cube vs ps2, the cube is a more powerful system, i cannot think of a single ps2 game that would not be playable on the cube. the deficiency of the cube is not in terms of hardware power.
as far as games go, the ps2 is going to offer alot of the same games as the xbox (but usually with slightly worse graphics and less online support), there are high profile ps2 exclusives like gran turismo, but of the genre youve listed, the xbox handles them the same if not better.
if there are 5 ps2 exclusive games you want to get, then grab one, but if you cannot come up with that many, go with the cube.
with nintendo, you get great 1st party games (note the ps2 also has a lot of kid-friendly titles) that hold their own against any ps2 exclusives, but again, if you dont want the mario, zelda, starf fox or fzero games, then the cube wont offer much the xbox already can offer

[quote name='cthcky33']wow, this thread isnt just begging for a fanboy flame war at all...[/quote]

i can't believe it hasn't yet begun....

GameCube has a ton of kick ass Exclusive titles.
So I would go with GameCube

Xbox pretty much gets everything the PS2 does, with the exception of a few exclusive titles.

So Unless your a Square-Enix I would go with a GameCube.

PS2=more cheap, really good games.
GC=some really good games that aren't as cheap.
I would go with the PS2. I own both and love both, but the PS2 is the better system as far as quantity and quality of games go. This is in no was to say that the GC isn’t a good system; it simply isn’t as good as the PS2.

Blocbuster has a Gamecube bundle with mario party 5 and a headset. I doesn't come with the extra controller though. Is this a good deal for $100 or should I look around more for the other Mario Cart bundle with the two controllers?

cube....i doubt the next nintendo console is going to be backwards compatible where the next sony machine stands a greater chance of that capability

PS2

Has a lot of good and great exclusives:
Ratchet & Clank Series
Jak Series
Getaway Series
Sly Series
Maximo Series
Downhill Domination
Ghosthunter
Mark of Kri Series
Spy Fiction
Final Fantasy Series
Kingdom Hearts Series
Time Crisis Series
Metal Gear Solid 3
Killzone
Ape Escape Series
Ace Combat Series
Armored Core Series
ATV Offroad Fury Series
Champions of Norrath Series
Dark Cloud Series
Devil May Cry Series
EyeToy Series
Front Mission 4
Ghost in the Shell
Grandia Xtreme
Ico
Suikoden Series
Katamari Damacy
Onimusha 3
Resident Evil Outbreak Series
Rise to Honor
SOCOM Series
Stuntman
Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain
Phantom Brave
La Pucelle
Disgaea
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
Xenosaga Series
Zone of the Enders Series
Dot Hack Series

Plus, if you don't have an original PS, you can play those games too.

gamecube... $100 w/game 2 controllers and a memory card

pstwo... console...memory card $20 or so and games from $10-50...so thats around $200 without an extra controller...

gamecube is the better cheap ass deal but ps2 does have a better selection.. I would say get the gamecube and wait for a pstwo price drop later on

Get a Gamecube. If you are looking for graphics, Gamecube is better. If you are looking for kid friendly games, Gamecube is DEFINETLY BETTER.

Nintendo has already confirmed backwards compatibility.

PS2 is the biggest hunk of shit on the market.

There are HOW MANY games that support Progressive Scan??? HOW MANY games support have Surround Sound??? Besides Gran Turismo, and the ABUNDANCE of run of the mill RPGs,.... what has Sony brought to the table???

The HDD???!!! LOL!
The slim PS2??? LOL!!
UH........well, that's it.
Oh yeah,... Jak, and Jak 2, oh and Jak 3. Oh and then there's Ratchet, and Ratchet 2, then there's that other GEM Ratchet 3. What about Sly you say,... yes Sly 2, wait, what's this,.... Sly 3 on the way???

You gotta be kidding me??!!!

I bought my SECOND PS2 in July, after dealing with random, and then fatal DREs, since 8 months after launch. I have played it ONCE since I RE-BOUGHT it,... only for Shin Megami Tensei.

My CUBE on the other hand is my right hand system. My XBox has been getting the most play, since Halo 2 and Otogi 2 came out,... but now I have Resident Evil 4 to get lost in.

Seriously,.......you can't beat the quality, or the games.

90% of all GameCube games are Progressive Scan capable.
70% support Dolby Pro Logic II surround sound.

Not to mention the systems stability, and design.

I used to be an XBox hater, and a Nintendo fanboy.
Now I'm not. I love them both EQUALLY, as both MS and Nintendo have gave it their all!!!

I own everything Sony,......and that's why I wish the PS2 was what it claimed to be.
Unfortunately,... Sony is just grubbing money from all of it's loyal fans. With subpar, overabundant releases,.. how can you not sell the most games???

Even Barbie's Horse Fantasy game, or whatever,... sold very well.

Well, to stop bitching,.........I'd go with the Cube,.... or stick it out for the XBox 2 and the Revolution.
Perhaps we'll see Sony follow suit, and release a machine that is as capable as the other 2 "underdogs????????"

Yeah,... underdogs with SUPERIOR consoles.

:p

[quote name='CapAmerica']GameCube has a ton of kick ass Exclusive titles.
So I would go with GameCube

Xbox pretty much gets everything the PS2 does, with the exception of a few exclusive titles.

So Unless your a Square-Enix I would go with a GameCube.[/quote]

I updated my above post, now lists about 70 exclusive PS2 games.

Don't tell me PS2 just has a few exclusives.

And the battle begins...

Personally, I'd say go with the GameCube but if you happen to like RPGs and platformers, go with the PS2 as they are more abundant.

No one has the mario kart bundle in stock anymore. I am going to get the Gamecube bundle at blockbuster. What's a good price for another controller? I see CC has some wireless wavebirds for $18. What and where's a good price for a corded controller with rumble?

[quote name='PenguinMaster']PS2

Has a lot of good and great exclusives:
Ratchet & Clank Series
Jak Series
Getaway Series
Sly Series
Maximo Series
Downhill Domination
Ghosthunter
Mark of Kri Series
Spy Fiction
Final Fantasy Series
Kingdom Hearts Series
Time Crisis Series
Metal Gear Solid 3
Killzone
Ape Escape Series
Ace Combat Series
Armored Core Series
ATV Offroad Fury Series
Champions of Norrath Series
Dark Cloud Series
Devil May Cry Series
EyeToy Series
Front Mission 4
Ghost in the Shell
Grandia Xtreme
Ico
Suikoden Series
Katamari Damacy
Onimusha 3
Resident Evil Outbreak Series
Rise to Honor
SOCOM Series
Stuntman
Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain
Phantom Brave
La Pucelle
Disgaea
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
Xenosaga Series
Zone of the Enders Series
Dot Hack Series

Plus, if you don't have an original PS, you can play those games too.[/quote]

Did they ever port Onimusha 2 to the Xbox? I didn't know that.

Might as well toss in the Sakura Wars series in there... import only, but still PS2 exclusive.

Lifeline is also PS2 exclusive.

[quote name='drone8888']
My CUBE on the other hand is my right hand system. My XBox has been getting the most play, since Halo 2 and Otogi 2 came out,... but now I have Resident Evil 4 to get lost in.
:p[/quote]

without sony there wouldn't be a resident evil 4 to get lost in.

[quote name='hotwls13'] I like First Person Shooters, racing games, fighting games and Tiger Woods Golf. I also have an 8 year old son and it looks as though the other two consoles have more kid friendly games.
Any advise is appreciated.[/quote]

If you like FPS, and fighting games, the PS2 should be your choice.

PS2 has a larger library of fighting titles...

(some examples)
KOF
Soul Calibur
Tekken series
VF 4 Evolution
Guilty Gear X2
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
DBZ Budokai series(if your son likes Dragonball he'll like that)
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Capcom vs. SNK 2
Street Fighter EX3

Gamecube has...

(some examples)
Capcom vs. SNK 2
Soul Calibur
Super Smash Bros. Melee

For FPS, both systems have the Medal of Honor games and XIII but only PS2 has KillZone. (Metroid Prime by definition of the creators isn't a FPS)

Both systems have nice racing games and kid friendly games...

I'd recommend PS2 mainly because of your fighting game statement (and better software prices). Cube can't compete with PS2 in regards to fighting games, but a Cube is still a very worthy purchase.

[quote name='wubb'][quote name='nonggame']can you wait just a little more ? 'cause the xbox will come down to 99 very very soon..[/quote]

Nobody knows this for sure, and he already has an Xbox...
[/quote]
Well if the Xbox dropped in price then the Gamecube and PS2 would also.

OK, going to get a cube today. I know this is a wide open statement, but what would be the top 3 games for kids (mario type games) and the top 3 games for me (death and destruction). I will probably be buying used games for now, so nothing too new. Cheap games $10 or less would be great. I am going to ebgames after blockbuster.

Thanks

I'm not sure how old your kids are, but these are my recommendations.

Kids:
Any of the Mario Party's (but I guess you're getting that)
Super Monkey Ball
Donkey Konga
Mario Kart DD
Super Mario Sunshine

You:
Resident Evils
Eternal Darkness
Metroid Primes

In between:
Pikmin
Viewtiful Joe
Super Smash Bros. Melee

I think aside from Donkey Konga and Mario Kart, these should mostly be cheap/players choice

[quote name='hotwls13']Sweet! Thanks for all the info.[/quote]

if you happen to have a GBA or GBA SP and are willing to get the gba to gamecube cable, you should give "pac-man vs" a shot. It's a great multiplayer game though there isn't much variety to it.

For your information,................. without the Playstation, you say there wouldn't be a Resident Evil series?????

Are you a FAQtard????

As a matter of fact, I beleive it was released simultaneously on the PSX and the Saturn.
I can't be 100% on this,...... but I seem to remember it out on the Saturn FIRST.

Oh,.........and about your, EXCLUSIVES,............ how many of them are actually good, or unique???

Wow,.... so many lame fighters, and generic FPSs.

KillZone was your best, and the game sucks major hog jiz.

Please,.........show me some QUALITY games on the PS2, MADE by Sony.

Yeah,... ICO, that's it.
:O

Check my collection at IGN,........... I have a ton of exclusives. They don't mean much to me though.
It's like playing Atari 2600 games on my 50 in HDTV,........it's pointless.

[quote name='drone8888']For your information,................. without the Playstation, you say there wouldn't be a Resident Evil series?????

Are you a FAQtard????

As a matter of fact, I beleive it was released simultaneously on the PSX and the Saturn.
I can't be 100% on this,...... but I seem to remember it out on the Saturn FIRST.

[/quote]

Ps One came first...

Resident Evil United States Sony PlayStation March 30th, 1996
Resident Evil United States Sega Saturn August 31st, 1997

Source: http://www.residentevilfan.com/releasedates.asp

Thanks for all the input. I went to Blockbuster tonight to get the Gamecube Bundle. When I got there the manager said, "we don't have any bundles with the mario party 5 anymore, we haven't had them since Christmas". I started to get pissed, because I had called the same blockbuster 2 hrs before and they said they had them. She (the Manager) said they had a different bundle which was the CG + Extra controller and Memory card for $150. That wasn't going to work for me since I already had everything figured out at $100. After talking with her for a while, she offered to give me the Standard Gamecube and any gamecube game I wanted for $100 (since that's basically the mario party 5 bundle). I said GREAT! They were all out of RE4 (I put my name on a list for when they come in), so I opted for Mario Party 6 (which comes with the mic thing). So, I got the same bundle they would have given me, except I got Mario Party 6 instead of 5! Then I traded 6 xbox games for a credit of $40 and got Halo2 and Mercenaries for XBOX for $20 (using the trade 3 get any new for $29). I then went and picked up 3 used Gamecube games for the buy2 get one free. I got FZero GX and Viewtiful Joe at peoples recommendation and my son picked Spyro Enter the Dragonfly. Then we went to EB and I traded a bunch of sports xbox games and got Mario Sunshine as recommended and my son picked Scooby Doo. After getting it all home I started out with Metroid Prime (I got a copy of this at Kmart yesterday with the Wavebird and had planned to use it for trading). This game is very cool. I am glad I have the wireless controller though as the cables are extremely short on the standard controller. I also popped in the Mario Sunshine to find it didn't work (taking back tomorrow). Then I played a little bit of Mario Party 6 and I wasn't very impressed. Not like the SuperMario Bros I remember. Seems more for very young kids. I may have to take it to Gamerush and use it as trade while it is still valuable. Is the Mario Sunshine more like the Supermario of the past? Anyway, I am very happy with my purchase and look forward to many hours of gameplay.

Thanks again for all the input.

Chris

bread's done
Back