Have you been spending too much money on games? Here is a good tip!

[quote name='MetalDragonKing']I've thought about this before (as well as donating blood) but I just have a fear that a dirty needle will get used or something will happen and I'll get sick or some kind of disease.

None of those places on the links are near me anyways.[/QUOTE]

Dude... they use new needles and bottles and everything new. They open the packages in front of you. BioLife is one of the most clean places I have ever been.

[quote name='mer71']Has anyone ever sold their sperm for money?[/QUOTE]

LOL I think most here would be paying pros to take theirs :lol:

[quote name='Access_Denied']I actually read an article in the paper about a place called Telecris doing stuff like that and trying to 'clean' needles. I'll never walk into a place that pays you for that stuff. If I want to donate blood, I'll DONATE it, as in, give it for free to help people. Selling it would make me feel like a crack addict.[/QUOTE]

Any place that supposedly would do that would be punished... any employee that would do such a thing would be fired... Ive heard instances of employees getting fired for using the same needle on the same person (not being able to find a vein in one arm and moving to the other arm). Ive done this in the past and had no issues with cleanliness, the location of the center I went to was decent as well, in comparison to the other in town which Id never visit. Donating did have its advantages such as the keeping track of your health (I was refused once for low protein in my blood from excessive working out)... plus when I donated I tended to actually eat healthier and drink more water since it actually sped up the process... high fat foods lead to thicker blood and lengthier visits, plus if it is too bad they can refuse you for the day

You are NOT BEING paid for your blood... but the plasma from it, the part that is easy to replenish allowing one to donate twice a week. If you want to donate blood have at it, the red cross never pays for blood. The places that run plasma centers make a good profit from selling the plasma to hospitals etc... they make lots more than what one is paid for it. The nickname for plasma isnt "liquid gold" for nothing (yes your plasma tens to have a gold color to it)

[quote name='Lyricsborn']So its like having blood drawn?[/QUOTE]

Never had it done but to my understanding they suck your blood out and your plasma is seperated from everything else and then they pump all that everything else back into your blood stream.

[quote name='shoe478']You might want to get some help if you are doing this just to buy games. Yeah, you are helping people but I doubt you would be doing this for free. Also, I'm sure they would just take the plasma if you donated it.[/QUOTE]

Protip: If donating blood doesn't cover your game budget, get creative! Try pawning your mom's TV or engagement ring. Or get an empty soup can and ask for donations from strangers on the street.

[quote name='Fernando Rocker']Actually... you are donating the plasma.

According to BioLife, they are paying you for your time.[/QUOTE]

We all know that's bullshit.

I did this for over a year back in my Junior year of college. Of course, I did it mainly for food (fuck you economy) but hell, it worked and kept things moving along. :D

I work at the Med Center now so needless to say, I haven't given since. It is a good way to make extra money without it being reported as taxes. That and you are saving lives so by all means I advocate its use.

[quote name='pjb16']OP, how long does it take to donate? Like 1 hr, 2 hrs? More?[/QUOTE]

Well... it depends. At BioLife, you have to donate 690ml, 820ml or 880ml depending on your weight.

I donate 690ml (my weight 142lbs)... to me, it takes 10 minutes to do my medical check (levels of protein, iron, blood pressurure, pulse, temperature and answering an electronic questionary).

And about 40 minutes to to donate the 690ml of plasma, but it all depends. If you are a healthy person and if you go well hydrated, you will finish very quickly, but you are going to be minimum 50 minutes there.

The machines are automatic. There are virtually zero risks. Just be sure to be hydrated. That's the best advice I can give you. Your plasma is mostly water so you need to drink enough water. But don't worry. At the end of the donation, they put a saline solution in you, so you can recover the amount of liquid you lost (in my case, they put me 690ml of saline solution at the end of the cycle).

You can take your laptop or smarthphone. BioLife has free WiFi...

I don't have experiencie with Biomat, but they don't allow electronic devices while you are donating. Plus, the questionary with them is not electronic (BioLife uses touchscreen computers). Biomat asks you the questions in person.

The questions are always the same... things like: have you changed your address since your last donation... have you been in jail... have you had sex paying money since your last donation... etc, etc... very rutinary.

[quote name='Fernando Rocker']
The questions are always the same...have you had sex paying money since your last donation...[/QUOTE]

You don't pay for sex, the sex is a donation. You're simply paying for their time.

The prostitution version of this statement is actually more precise than the Plasma version. Go to the Plasma clinic for an hour asking questions and try to get your money. Cry your heart out on a hooker's lap for an hour and she still gets paid.

I don't have any problems with needles or getting blood drawn, but I guess subconsciously I do -- because I always get very light headed.

I would do this, but I'd probably pass out.

[quote name='Fernando Rocker']Did anyone donate plasma after reading this thread?[/QUOTE]
Hell no. As I said above, the only place by me looked like it was filled with junkies and homeless people the last time I stepped foot in there. It also didn't smell too clean, so I'd rather find a part time shit job someplace than risk contracting anything from that shithole center.

I hear if you sell your plasma you can never receive donations yourself. I'd hate it like hell if something came up and I needed a transfusion and I had to pay out of pocket >_

[quote name='Moltres423']I hear if you sell your plasma you can never receive donations yourself. I'd hate it like hell if something came up and I needed a transfusion and I had to pay out of pocket >_

I was talking to GF about this and she told me she used to do this about 2 years ago when she was a freshman in college. She said i should do it. Thing is i'm a big pussy when it comes to needles and blood and cutting through the skin

I did it a couple years back. The first check up they did took awhile, they checked me for track marks, tear ducts included.

Other than that every other time was quick and easy.

[quote name='Homakruz']I did it a couple years back. The first check up they did took awhile, they checked me for track marks, tear ducts included.

Other than that every other time was quick and easy.[/QUOTE]
Damn. At least they're thorough though, as the people getting taken in to sell their plasma at the center I went to that one time were practically on a first name basis with the staff.

It was like 'oh hey so n so, you're back again this week', as the smoke/dirt clouds similar to Pig Pen from Charlie Brown followed them into the donation area.

I wanted to spray myself with a whole can of Lysol after even sitting in one of those chairs.:puke:

[quote name='hero101']Is IAmTheCheapestGamer going to a sperm bank to release his boys for $$$?[/QUOTE]
:lol: No. I was talking about the one plasma place around here, which was downright disgusting.

Our closest Biomat is in a rough part of Birmingham but there is an ABC (State run Liquor store) store right behind it to replenish your fluids. And a Mrs. Winners as well. I'll have to pass on this moneymaker.

Pretty good deal but I can see a couple issues with this.
Mainly, the pain involved will vary depending on the person and the size of needle they use. If you have crappy veins, the phlebotomist may fuck up. They also probably use a big needle (probably 16-18 gauge) and it will hurt. They can't use smaller ones because it won't collect all the different cells.

More on crappy veins, if they find that they can't take it in the inside of your elbow (median cubital vein) or anywhere around there, they are going for your hand. Now this hurts (depending on individual) and to me not worth $60. The vein may blow (damaged) or whatever. So I'd stay away if your veins suck. Best veins are the median cubital and occipital, IMO. Also, if they go for arteries, get ready for some pain. Don't know the difference between veins and arteries? Hopefully the blood guy does.

OP mentioned a saline drip they give you afterwards (seems like they'd take a bit more than a pint). This is just salt water to re hydrate you but to do this they put an IV in you. IVs suck if you aren't in a medical emergency.

It's good money but know all this before going. It's not going to be like stick a needle in you, get the blood, get paid. I can't imagine them letting you leave right away either. I'm sure they would make you stay to monitor you for a couple minutes.

I think the best candidates are people with nice veins so the pain is minimal and the blood draw is fast. Otherwise I'd say not worth the pain and time.

I'd actually be more interested in sperm donation. oh, the shame...

[quote name='bacun']I'm fat,can i donate plasma?Thinking of heading down to my local clinic this week.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can, but you will donate more plasma than me, for example.

And if you eat too much greasy and fatty food, the plasma will have a milky appearance and you will not be able to donate again until you become more healthy.

[quote name='Lyricsborn']So what do they do with the plasma exactly?[/QUOTE]

TV's!

But seriously...

An important use of plasmapheresis is in the therapy of autoimmune disorders, where the rapid removal of disease-causing autoantibodies from the circulation is required in addition to other medical therapy. It is important to note that plasma exchange therapy in and of itself is useful to temper the disease process, where simultaneous medical and immunosuppressive therapy is required for long-term management. Plasma exchange offers the quickest short-term answer to removing harmful autoantibodies; however, the production of autoantibodies by the immune system must also be suppressed, usually by the use of medications such as prednisone, cyclophosphamide, cyclosporine, mycophenolate mofetil, rituximab or a mixture of these.
Other uses are the removal of blood proteins where these are overly abundant and cause hyperviscosity syndrome.
Examples of diseases that can be treated with plasmapheresis:

So we just got back. My GF is kinda tired. Took about an hour and a half. They checked every thing, vitals, heart rate, pulse, blood pressure, etc. Took the blood and we waited while they made sure everything was good. Check in hand.

[quote name='Lyricsborn']So we just got back. My GF is kinda tired. Took about an hour and a half. They checked every thing, vitals, heart rate, pulse, blood pressure, etc. Took the blood and we waited while they made sure everything was good. Check in hand.[/QUOTE]

Nice. She only needs to drink a lot of water. First time is very exhausting (because all the medical checking and stuff), but after that, it's very quick and easy.

So... do you think it was a good experience? Was it a nice and clean place?

My local BioLife center is actually extremely clean and modern.

[quote name='Fernando Rocker']Nice. She only needs to drink a lot of water. First time is very exhausting (because all the medical checking and stuff), but after that, it's very quick and easy.

So... do you think it was a good experience? Was it a nice and clean place?

My local BioLife center is actually extremely clean and modern.[/QUOTE]

Well from what i saw it looked liked a good experience. Very professional atmosphere, though no suprise since its in the medical district. Its was very clean, other patients seemed to be around college age. Equipment was modern nothing outdated, needle was in a sterile packet, nurse had gloves on. At first i was a bit nervous because of what everyone else was saying but it seemed worthiwhile.

[quote name='Lyricsborn']Well from what i saw it looked liked a good experience. Very professional atmosphere, though no suprise since its in the medical district. Its was very clean, other patients seemed to be around college age. Equipment was modern nothing outdated, needle was in a sterile packet, nurse had gloves on. At first i was a bit nervous because of what everyone else was saying but it seemed worthiwhile.[/QUOTE]

You should do it too... the money is decent, plus, you are helping people.

A massive nosebleed? :p

In all honesty, if you get someone who is good at their job, the pain is minimal. Unfortunately, not everyone is an ace with using a needle.

bread's done
Back