Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledown

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
JUST GO HERE FOR DEALS NOW: Credit over at DVDtalk.com
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=482461

Please feel free to post any HD-DVD / BD deals in this thread.

- Family Video Store for $5 off first time orders at http://www.familyvideo.com
This coupon is good for $5 off $5 and it's only .99 cents shipping for any size order.
Coupon code: NEWMEM96
Batman Begins HD-DVD ~ $17 shipped

- Google Checkout at BUY.com / CDUniverse.com / Bestprices.com have good deals (EXP 10/31)

- Amazon seems to have competitive prices on some also. 10 % off DEAL (order 3 and get 10% off and get 10% off for a year)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/102-4264254-3012160?ie=UTF8&nodeId=160066011

HD-DVD/Blu-Ray REVIEWS:
www.dvdtalk.com
www.highdefdigest.com

[quote name='Collectordragon']Did you get Cinderella Man at Target? I heard on CAG that it was marked down but my Target didn't have any. :([/QUOTE]

Do what i did, go to your local Target and ask if they have any copies, hell its worth a shot. Then if they dont ask them to do a search in the computer for stores locally. Even if none of them have it they hand you a receipt with the store names and the price. Bring this receipt to Best Buy and theyll pricematch.

To me, paying $19.99 in store for that instant gratification is a decent deal. If there were a movie I wanted and I saw it for that price, I would not hesitate. Thankfully, i've only had to partake a few times such as with Batman Begins when I first got my HD DVD add on...I heard such good things about it and local Target had one copy left sitting there.

I have been lucky to score Cinderella Man for $4.98 and Friday Night Lights for $7.50...I did turn that FNL into $27.50 store credit though hoping to pick up a HD DVD that I really want instead.

Bottom line is, if you do some smart shopping you end up usually spending $15 a disc.

[quote name='Collectordragon']Did you get Cinderella Man at Target? I heard on CAG that it was marked down but my Target didn't have any. :([/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got Cinderella Man at Target. My store didnt have any for the the longest time, then randomly one day there were two on the shelf. I went to buy both, and they rang up at 0.00. I told her that i'd be happy to take them for free, but she wanted to call a manager. When none came, she asked what i thought the price should be and i told her the $4.98 (i think i actually told her $5.98) and she gave me both at that price. One for me and one for an easy cheap christmas gift.

I also got two copies of Friday Night Lights at Sears for $15. But i didnt scam another store for store credit, i just sold one copy on Amazon for $15, making my money back and getting a movie for free.

[quote name='JDMxB']To me, paying $19.99 in store for that instant gratification is a decent deal. If there were a movie I wanted and I saw it for that price, I would not hesitate. Thankfully, i've only had to partake a few times such as with Batman Begins when I first got my HD DVD add on...I heard such good things about it and local Target had one copy left sitting there.

I have been lucky to score Cinderella Man for $4.98 and Friday Night Lights for $7.50...I did turn that FNL into $27.50 store credit though hoping to pick up a HD DVD that I really want instead.

Bottom line is, if you do some smart shopping you end up usually spending $15 a disc.[/quote]

Friday Night Lights for $7.50 at Target?

Edit: Didn't see the above post...guessing at Sears?

[quote name='chicagoz']Friday Night Lights for $7.50 at Target?

Edit: Didn't see the above post...guessing at Sears?[/QUOTE]

Yea, they had a misprint in their ad a few weeks ago.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Haha, the people at my local best buy didnt even know about the b1g1 ad.

I ended up getting the last Kung Fu hustle from an employee who was holding it for himself, and took a rain check on Black Hawk Down. Thinking about gettin Underworld and House Of flying daggers/Click, but they dont have any of those available here >=O!!![/QUOTE]

I wouldn't bother based on the reviews. I am also disgusted at Sony because of this being a Wuxia Fantasy fan along the lines of Zhang Yimov's stuff. This being said I'm looking forward to when WB releases "The Promise" on BR and HD-DVD. Sure I know "Curse Of the Golden Flower" is coming out on BR but I'll wait until the results of this Christmas season with the $199 HD-DVD players to see if I really have to buy it on BR or just wait.

I looked at various targets for the Cinderella man and cheap hd dvds but it seems like your YMMV on this deal. Does anyone know any other hd dvds that target is having on clearance? I asked the woman at target behind the desk in the electronics department about the clearance and she thought i was crazy. She told me that they were 30 dollars each. LOL

[quote name='indiraider']I looked at various targets for the Cinderella man and cheap hd dvds but it seems like your YMMV on this deal. Does anyone know any other hd dvds that target is having on clearance? I asked the woman at target behind the desk in the electronics department about the clearance and she thought i was crazy. She told me that they were 30 dollars each. LOL[/quote]cinderella man seems to be the only hd-dvd target has/had on clearance.

[quote name='doubledown']You are ONLY allowed 3 returns w/o a reciept per year at Best Buy. Also, this is illegal and should not be discussed here.

I still passed on the B1G1 as I hope they run this again with BETTER movies. Black Hawk Down seems good, but I already have the 3 disc set and it is damn good on that.[/quote]

Actually, it's 1 return w/o a receipt per year at BestBuy. I just recently tried to return a game I got without a gift receipt (already had it) and they wouldn't take it since I had done the same with a duplicate game I got on my birthday a few months ago. "I" wasn't trying anything illegal since I didn't get a gift receipt and I was told they were purchased at BestBuy.

[quote name='woodcan']Actually, it's 1 return w/o a receipt per year at BestBuy. I just recently tried to return a game I got without a gift receipt (already had it) and they wouldn't take it since I had done the same with a duplicate game I got on my birthday a few months ago. "I" wasn't trying anything illegal since I didn't get a gift receipt and I was told they were purchased at BestBuy.[/QUOTE]

That is quite a different situation than what the previous poster did, buying at one store at a clearance/mistake and returning without a receipt for full price somewhere else.

I had no idea BB even allowed ONE return without receipt... I know Wal Mart is 3 per 6 months now

BTW, Cinderella Man, I got my copy for 5 a while back and was suprised to see a copy a few days ago at my target, but it scanned 19.99... anyone else had this happen, was going to pick it up for a friend who only had King Kong... months after buying a drive... Im SURE he is waiting on some way to get free copies over the net of something... I myself am enjoying the 10 off deals

[quote name='doubledown']You are ONLY allowed 3 returns w/o a reciept per year at Best Buy. Also, this is illegal and should not be discussed here.

I still passed on the B1G1 as I hope they run this again with BETTER movies. Black Hawk Down seems good, but I already have the 3 disc set and it is damn good on that.[/quote]
In my own defense it all depends on your idea of whats legal and illegal. As many "legal" ways as corporate america seems to be able to find to exploit us, why should I feel the slightest bit of remorse if i can find a way to work their loopholes to MY advantage? I thought that was what this site was all about. my bad. BTW I did use my reciepts to return the stuff at BB, just not the other store. I am all for working the system as much to my advantage as possible without outright stealing. DAMN THE MAN! :D

[quote name='metrognome']In my own defense it all depends on your idea of whats legal and illegal. As many "legal" ways as corporate america seems to be able to find to exploit us, why should I feel the slightest bit of remorse if i can find a way to work their loopholes to MY advantage? I thought that was what this site was all about. my bad. BTW I did use my reciepts to return the stuff at BB, just not the other store. I am all for working the system as much to my advantage as possible without outright stealing. DAMN THE MAN! :D[/QUOTE]

The illegality of what you did is highly debatable, no matter what our little pre-law students may say. Nobody can prove or disprove if you were told where the item came from, so no case like this will ever go to court. The offense is like speeding at most. Have you ever heard of someone getting in trouble for discussing speeding in a forum? Oh, how silly and cautious leadership can be sometimes.

Now give me some good HD_DVD prices outside of buy.com!

I dont believe anyone in here ever said it was illegal. I just said it was a scam, which I believe it is. That doesnt mean i think its illegal, i just dont believe its right to "take advantage" of the system like that. Speeding is, in fact, illegal. So taking a movie back to a different store where you know it wasnt purchased for the purpose of getting more money than you paid for it, is nothing like it. Although, I guess you could be charged with fraud. But i think eastx is right, best buy wouldnt take you to court for it. They'll just flag your DL no. and not let you return without a receipt.

scam shmam...if they take it, it is their fault. it is no different, to me, than having one retailer do a misprint in an ad and then pricematching at another retailer...if they accept it then it's their problem

[quote name='sman113']I dont believe anyone in here ever said it was illegal. I just said it was a scam, which I believe it is. That doesnt mean i think its illegal, i just dont believe its right to "take advantage" of the system like that. Speeding is, in fact, illegal. So taking a movie back to a different store where you know it wasnt purchased for the purpose of getting more money than you paid for it, is nothing like it. Although, I guess you could be charged with fraud. But i think eastx is right, best buy wouldnt take you to court for it. They'll just flag your DL no. and not let you return without a receipt.[/quote]

Doubledown was the one who said it was illegal if you read the quote. Im not trippin over it, I just wanted to make the point that laws governing things like this are pointless and damn near unenforcable. Corporate Criminals who imbezzle millions of dollars and cost thousands of people their jobs
are rarely prosecuted and even if convicted almost never see a day in jail. so if i scam a corporate mega store that wants to charge me $30 for a product that cost less than $1 a piece to manufacture, i feel justified. You are perfectly entitled to not do this and be subservient to our corporate overloards go right ahead. We can't all be rebels, but i sure wish we were. REVOLUTION! :D

Please no replys, lets get back to the deals. Sorry for wasting space.

[quote name='sman113']I dont believe anyone in here ever said it was illegal. I just said it was a scam, which I believe it is. That doesnt mean i think its illegal, i just dont believe its right to "take advantage" of the system like that. Speeding is, in fact, illegal. So taking a movie back to a different store where you know it wasnt purchased for the purpose of getting more money than you paid for it, is nothing like it. Although, I guess you could be charged with fraud. But i think eastx is right, best buy wouldnt take you to court for it. They'll just flag your DL no. and not let you return without a receipt.[/QUOTE]

Well, I've had moderators tell me it's illegal in other threads. Apparently some CAG is a law student and helped them reach that stance. Now, if returning a game to a store other than where it was bought from is illegal and speeding is illegal, then they are indeed both similar. Anyway, we should stop talking about it before somebody fusses at us.

Viva La Revolucion. Stick it to the fucking man. I hate to say it, but it is a grey area, is it legal, I don't know. Is it immoral, that is for you to decide.

Can we get back to Hi Def deals folks?

Picked up Mummy Returns at Frys for $17.99 after hearing good things about the PQ.

[quote name='eastx']Well, I've had moderators tell me it's illegal in other threads. Apparently some CAG is a law student and helped them reach that stance. Now, if returning a game to a store other than where it was bought from is illegal and speeding is illegal, then they are indeed both similar. Anyway, we should stop talking about it before somebody fusses at us.[/QUOTE]

LOL, as a guy one year out of law school, i have come to realize i didnt know sh*t while i was in school.

Ok well I had the HD DVD drive for the 360 but since I got a PS3 I decided to get rid of it and my HD DVDs. So any suggestions on some good Blu Ray movies and where can I find some good prices. I got Xmen 3 for around 15 and my brother picked up Saw III today at a local Gamestop for around $17.

[quote name='DomLando']Ok well I had the HD DVD drive for the 360 but since I got a PS3 I decided to get rid of it and my HD DVDs. So any suggestions on some good Blu Ray movies and where can I find some good prices. I got Xmen 3 for around 15 and my brother picked up Saw III today at a local Gamestop for around $17.[/QUOTE]

Why not go format neutral and keep both? You won't be stuck without a certain movie then. Thats what im doing. You will probably find that the places that have good HD-DVD prices have good blu-ray prices. Buy.com, bestprices.com, and dvdplanet.com have great prices with google checkout. Amazon.com has good regular prices. B&m wise Fry's is the only place that regularly has decent sales.

I would recommend Black Hawk Down, Descent, Kingdom of Heaven, Crank. All look great and are blu-ray exclusive.

[quote name='pinoy530']Why not go format neutral and keep both? You won't be stuck without a certain movie then. Thats what im doing. You will probably find that the places that have good HD-DVD prices have good blu-ray prices. Buy.com, bestprices.com, and dvdplanet.com have great prices with google checkout. Amazon.com has good regular prices. B&m wise Fry's is the only place that regularly has decent sales.

I would recommend Black Hawk Down, Descent, Kingdom of Heaven, Crank. All look great and are blu-ray exclusive.[/QUOTE]
If I do decide to pick up a HD DVD player again I will get a player when it comes down not the add on. It was decent but not the greatest HD DVD player. Which I did not expect it to be either. Plus right now Blu Ray has a lot more movies I want and most of the stuff I had on HD DVD looks to be on Blu Ray.

[quote name='DomLando']If I do decide to pick up a HD DVD player again I will get a player when it comes down not the add on. It was decent but not the greatest HD DVD player. Which I did not expect it to be either. Plus right now Blu Ray has a lot more movies I want and most of the stuff I had on HD DVD looks to be on Blu Ray.[/QUOTE]

Ill be getting a BR player sometime this year, but would still be keeping my HD player... univeral by themselves has too many of the movies I crave

[quote name='zman73']Ill be getting a BR player sometime this year, but would still be keeping my HD player... univeral by themselves has too many of the movies I crave[/QUOTE]
Yeah that was the only reason I was thinking about keeping my HD DVD player but in the end decided for just Universal it wasn't worth it. I will probably get a separate HD DVD player down the road if Universal does not decide to jump ship. But I wanted to recoup some of the cost of my PS3 so I decided selling the HD DVD player and my HD DVDs for now. I should not lose much money because most of the stuff I got on sale or with coupons. Anyone have the Blu Ray remote for the PS3 or can recommend any deals on it? Was also wondering how it was since I can't use my Harmony remote with the PS3.

Posted this in the HD-DVD 360 Add-On Forum, but thought I'd throw it up here, too. Got some stuff for trade if anyone's interested. 1:1 only, please.

FT:
-Silent Hill (BR) SEALED
-The Omen (BR)
-X-Men: Last Stand (BR)
-Polar Express (HD)

Want:
-Kingdom of Heaven (BR) ((PENDING))
-ATL (either)
-Memento (BR)
-Crank (BR)
-Chronicles of Riddick (HD) ((PENDING))
-Unforgiven (BR)
-Swordfish (BR)
-Slither (HD)
-Pearl Harbor (BR)
-xXx (BR)
-Pulse (HD)
-The Thing (HD) ((PENDING))
-The Mummy (HD)
-The Mummy Returns (HD) ((PENDING))
-Last Samurai (either)
-Casablanca (HD)
-Sky Capt. & World of Tomorrow (BR)
-Black Rain (BR)
-Red Dragon (HD)
-Resident Evil: Apocalypse (BR)
-Saw ((PENDING)

[quote name='DomLando']Yeah that was the only reason I was thinking about keeping my HD DVD player but in the end decided for just Universal it wasn't worth it. I will probably get a separate HD DVD player down the road if Universal does not decide to jump ship. But I wanted to recoup some of the cost of my PS3 so I decided selling the HD DVD player and my HD DVDs for now. I should not lose much money because most of the stuff I got on sale or with coupons. Anyone have the Blu Ray remote for the PS3 or can recommend any deals on it? Was also wondering how it was since I can't use my Harmony remote with the PS3.[/quote]

I just use the wireless controller >.>

Does the Blu Ray Remote require batteries or is it rechargeable via USB?

I heard it needed batteries, I'm curious. I tried googling but couldn't find much o_O. Haven't bothered to look in stores, I'm not that interested in it.

The blu-ray remote is nice. I personally like it. Nice design, durable etc... It does require batteries, but it only "turns on" when being used...like any other standard remote so it will last a while. That factors out recharge via usb. Definately worth getting if you plan on watching a lot of movies. I think there's a rumor going around that logitech might make a BT/IR (i hope) learning remote. I don't know when's that going to happen. If you have a learning remote already, I know there's a thread here or on avsforum telling you how to make it work.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I just use the wireless controller >.>

Does the Blu Ray Remote require batteries or is it rechargeable via USB?

I heard it needed batteries, I'm curious. I tried googling but couldn't find much o_O. Haven't bothered to look in stores, I'm not that interested in it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the Sony Blu-ray remote requires batteries (the 1st two are included).

It makes watching movies sooo much easier. I got mine from CD Universe for less than $14 after google checkout.

But, I do have a criticism. It is not back-lit so it's hard to see the buttons while your watching a movie and all the buttons are small black buttons.

[quote name='matowest']

Want:
-Kingdom of Heaven (BR)[/QUOTE]

Kingdom of Heaven BR should be #1 on everyones want list if they own a PS3 or Blu Ray player. That movie truely shows off the awesomeness of HD.

[quote name='plastikpyro']Kingdom of Heaven BR should be #1 on everyones want list if they own a PS3 or Blu Ray player. That movie truely shows off the awesomeness of HD.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I want to see it (haven't seen the film since the theatre and hear good things about the DC) but I hate to shell out 35 bucks at BB for it. Matter of fact, I hate to shell out 35 bucks for just about anything.

[quote name='DomLando']Ok well I had the HD DVD drive for the 360 but since I got a PS3 I decided to get rid of it and my HD DVDs. So any suggestions on some good Blu Ray movies and where can I find some good prices. I got Xmen 3 for around 15 and my brother picked up Saw III today at a local Gamestop for around $17.[/quote]

Saw III for $17? Wow.

Anyone interested in getting the best bang for their buck should explore the AVSforum.com Go to the Blu ray software area. There is a link towards the top for a tier system for bluray pq. This has worked awesome, and has been a really good guide towards buying blu-rays. They have the same for hd dvd's but I haven't looked at it since I don't own it.

[quote name='plastikpyro']you can get it $28.99 - $10 = 18.99 shipped free at buy.com using the google checkout

http://www.buy.com/prod/Kingdom_of_Heaven_Blu_ray/q/loc/322/203030205.html[/QUOTE]

Has anyone bought Kingdom of Heaven from buy.com and received it? I ordered it with Underworld Evolution back on 12/26, the last day for the $20 off $50 promotion and KoH still hasn't shipped yet. I've gotten emails saying its still not in stock. I'm not sure if I believe it would be out of stock for a month though, especially when their website keeps saying in stock.

[quote name='flybrione']Got an email today saying that amazon.com is extending there HD-DVD 10% off promotion now until end of 2007. So if you ordered any 3 HD-DVDs before 12-31-06 you can now still save 10% until the end of the year 12-31-07.[/quote]

Tried to get 3 HD-DVD's with code HDDISC10 and it says its expired. Anyone know what the new code is?

Circuit City is giving $50 gift ard w/ purchase of the new HD-A2. Combine that with the $40 off coupon, and the 3 free HD movie (from a list) with mail in rebate from Toshiba and thats pretty much $150 off the $500 price tag.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Tried to get 3 HD-DVD's with code HDDISC10 and it says its expired. Anyone know what the new code is?[/QUOTE]

It is expired for people who have not used it yet. But if you used it before 2007 then they extended the discount for you.

[quote name='pinoy530']It is expired for people who have not used it yet. But if you used it before 2007 then they extended the discount for you.[/quote]

bummer. Thanks for the clear up.

I got the same message saying the deal was expired, but, if you look just below where the expiration message pops up there will be a box showing a promotional credit being applied which is equal to the 10% discount. I have only made 2 orders in January and none last year using the hddisc10 code and both had the discount applied even with the expiration message. The below listing is the summary detail from an order I placed last week:

Item(s) Subtotal:$157.95Shipping & Handling:$8.92Promotional Certificate: $-15.80 -----Total Before Tax:$151.07 -----Total for this Shipment:$151.07

I say try it and see you should still get the discount even with the expiration.

I got Goodfellas last night from Buy.com for around $2 after rebates.

I used the google checkout for $10 off. I will mail in the Sony rebate also to get another $10 off.

Tomb Raider is also going to be about the same price.

Thanks,
Matthew

[quote name='francobash']I got the same message saying the deal was expired, but, if you look just below where the expiration message pops up there will be a box showing a promotional credit being applied which is equal to the 10% discount. I have only made 2 orders in January and none last year using the hddisc10 code and both had the discount applied even with the expiration message. The below listing is the summary detail from an order I placed last week:

Item(s) Subtotal:$157.95Shipping & Handling:$8.92Promotional Certificate: $-15.80 -----Total Before Tax:$151.07 -----Total for this Shipment:$151.07

I say try it and see you should still get the discount even with the expiration.[/quote]

No luck, tried it again a couple times and just get the "This offer has expired. Please refer to the details in your promotional offer for further information." message

[quote name='LinkinPrime']No luck, tried it again a couple times and just get the "This offer has expired. Please refer to the details in your promotional offer for further information." message
[/quote]

Just went to the page to do an order to see if it worked the same for me and it showed the promotional certificate being applied without even entering the code. My first order using it was done on Jan. 13 so somehow I must have sneaked into getting the discount for the whole year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back