Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledown

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
JUST GO HERE FOR DEALS NOW: Credit over at DVDtalk.com
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=482461

Please feel free to post any HD-DVD / BD deals in this thread.

- Family Video Store for $5 off first time orders at http://www.familyvideo.com
This coupon is good for $5 off $5 and it's only .99 cents shipping for any size order.
Coupon code: NEWMEM96
Batman Begins HD-DVD ~ $17 shipped

- Google Checkout at BUY.com / CDUniverse.com / Bestprices.com have good deals (EXP 10/31)

- Amazon seems to have competitive prices on some also. 10 % off DEAL (order 3 and get 10% off and get 10% off for a year)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/102-4264254-3012160?ie=UTF8&nodeId=160066011

HD-DVD/Blu-Ray REVIEWS:
www.dvdtalk.com
www.highdefdigest.com

[quote name='Inf^Shini']The B2G1 free for Blu Ray doesn't limit it to certain titles does it?

Obviously the lowest priced items is the one that's free correct?

What I hate is that half the movies I want to watch are on HD DVD and I have a PS3...[/QUOTE]

Nope. You have to buy them in there price groups.

And there selection is really limited, especially with the $24.99 movies.

I went yesterday after golf, and saw the Blu-Ray sale was still on. Hadn't seen Rocky Balboa and really wanted it, so had that, The Pursuit of Happiness, and The Holiday all in hand. But I wasn't sure I'd enjoy EITHER of the other two movies, so I put them back and picked up We Were Soldiers on HD-DVD. Didn't get anything free, but got the movies I wanted.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Pursuit Of Happiness is very good. I haven't seen The Holiday so I can't comment.[/QUOTE]

I recommend against The Pursuit of Happiness, it's a rental. I was forced to watch The Holiday by my girlfriend.... but I was pleasantly surprised. It was quite good, even though I'm not fond of Cameron Diaz.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']The B2G1 free for Blu Ray doesn't limit it to certain titles does it?

Obviously the lowest priced items is the one that's free correct?

What I hate is that half the movies I want to watch are on HD DVD and I have a PS3...[/quote]

Look back a few pages on the thread and you'll see that their is a specific list of B2G1F. Also, some Blu ray movies are taking longer to come out than they did on HD DVD bu they will be out. The Matrix films will be out this fall and Warner is finallly jumping on the ball as films like "300" will be out in July on both HD and Blu ray disc.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Pursuit Of Happiness is very good. I haven't seen The Holiday so I can't comment.[/quote]I saw The Holiday...it was either that or her initial pick of Dreamgirls, but it's a nice little movie to watch with a girl. Jack Black was pretty good in it and it's not so overly, sickeningly sweet.

The Holiday is terrible. Cameron Diaz is completely unlikeable. Kate Winslet is alright, but her story seems tacked on. Jack Black is barely there. Jude Law is there to be a younger version of Hugh Grant. Too long and way to much exposition. There are much better chick flicks out there...

[quote name='BGPu']The Holiday is terrible. Cameron Diaz is completely unlikeable. Kate Winslet is alright, but her story seems tacked on. Jack Black is barely there. Jude Law is there to be a younger version of Hugh Grant. Too long and way to much exposition. There are much better chick flicks out there...[/QUOTE]

How is that a deal?

[quote name='eau']In for one. Too good a deal to pass even if I don't have a HD-DVD player :lol:[/QUOTE]

Haha same here, but getting it for this price might cause me to bite on the 360 one.

just ordered 1. my account on the site says laserdisc, but my web confirmation right after ordering states hd dvd and the e-mail confirmation goes to the hd dvd page as well.

[quote name='Deadpool']No way in hell that gets shipped, but i'll bite.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking too. I didn't want to regret it though just in case orders do ship :)

[quote name='rxdoga']I'm in for one.[/quote]
let us know if they actually sell it to you at that price. if theyre anything like best buy theyll probably just cancel it w/ some bs about computer error and how you have to reorder it.

[quote name='SOLDIER']I'm planning to buy the 2nd Pirates movie on Blu Ray, and the cheapest I've seen it so far is in amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Carib...4-0903010?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1179778158&sr=8-6

I've never pre-ordered a movie from their site before, so I'm wondering how long it usually takes to ship once the title is available, and using the free super saving shipping method?[/QUOTE]

There are some deals this week from places like Best Buy and Circuit City if you buy both, but I think Amazon has the cheapest price for singles.

I preordered my Pirates BRs at Buy.com for about $52 total and used google checkout to get 2nd day shipping. They arrived at my house last friday! Wee!

I know this is not really a deal, but Blockbuster has TONS of Blu-Ray and HD DVD titles for sale. I saw the Matrix boxset, Pirates, etc. Not bad if you have store credit.

[quote name='GizmoGC']I know this is not really a deal, but Blockbuster has TONS of Blu-Ray and HD DVD titles for sale. I saw the Matrix boxset, Pirates, etc. Not bad if you have store credit.[/quote]

No discounts or anything? Some ad's w/ coupons?
Nothin' ?:/

I got one down the street so I'll check it out anyways :p

[quote name='Inf^Shini']No discounts or anything? Some ad's w/ coupons?
Nothin' ?:/

I got one down the street so I'll check it out anyways :p[/QUOTE]

Well, they are the same price that Best Buy sells them for, which is not too bad. However if you have store credit its pretty decent. I know I dumped a whole bunch of DVDs there and picked up a few titles.

[quote name='GizmoGC']I know this is not really a deal, but Blockbuster has TONS of Blu-Ray and HD DVD titles for sale. I saw the Matrix boxset, Pirates, etc. Not bad if you have store credit.[/quote]Not when you live in a tiny hick town like mine... we don't have hd stuff yet. It'll be great when we do 'cause nobody will understand it. I hate this place.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']Not when you live in a tiny hick town like mine... we don't have hd stuff yet. It'll be great when we do 'cause nobody will understand it. I hate this place.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya. I'm already dealing with people who think that HD-DVD = compatable with *ALL* DVD players just because "it has DVD on it." Now while yes the ones that are the HD/SD combo discs will work with their SD-DVD player they then complain about the price of the disc then demand to know where the SD-DVD only version is.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']You're all lucky not one of the 5 Blockbusters near me carry BD or HD and I'm sitting on $64 in credit on my account I'd love to use up.[/QUOTE]
Many sell them or at least accept them as trade-ins. Only a few rent them. I have to drive past two stores to get to one and I still usually end up walking out with the DVD just becasue they haven't put out the BD yet (though it is available). I don't understand why no smaller competitors are taking advantage of BBV's position (they can't make a major move nationally/internationally before the format war is decided). I mean, even if BOTH formats fail, a smaller store would make money just by making sure that they were the only place any BD/HD-DVD owner rents from!

Case in point: Hastings. There is only one location in my entire state and I would never rent a BD from BBV if Hastings would simply stock and rent one of each of them. PS3/BD/HD-DVD owners don't amount to much, but if you got pretty much the exclusive business of everyone in town, you'd notice the $$$ effect.

[quote name='CZroe']Many sell them or at least accept them as trade-ins. Only a few rent them. I have to drive past two stores to get to one and I still usually end up walking out with the DVD just becasue they haven't put out the BD yet (though it is available). I don't understand why no smaller competitors are taking advantage of BBV's position (they can't make a major move nationally/internationally before the format war is decided). I mean, even if BOTH formats fail, a smaller store would make money just by making sure that they were the only place any BD/HD-DVD owner rents from!

Case in point: Hastings. There is only one location in my entire state and I would never rent a BD from BBV if Hastings would simply stock and rent one of each of them. PS3/BD/HD-DVD owners don't amount to much, but if you got pretty much the exclusive business of everyone in town, you'd notice the $$$ effect.[/QUOTE]

Renting's not a problem, I have Netflix again for that. And I get there aren't many renters out there right now for the market, but these stores don't even sell them new and I've yet to see any trade ins. Maybe I'm hitting the wrong places (any southcentral Indiana cags know a Blockbuster that sells them?), but at least I've got the gamerush thing to fall back on and use up my credit for.

I almost thought about jumping to BBV's Total Access just on the basis of being able to return my online rentals instore and using the free rental to pick up whatever next movie I would of rented online instead on HD. Looks like I'll be sticking with Netflix for a bit. Honestly Netflix has been great for HD-DVD rentals. Been getting a nice turnaround on discs overall regardless of it being SD or HD (except for one TNA Wrestling one that is coming from a Kansas location).

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Renting's not a problem, I have Netflix again for that. And I get there aren't many renters out there right now for the market, but these stores don't even sell them new and I've yet to see any trade ins. Maybe I'm hitting the wrong places (any southcentral Indiana cags know a Blockbuster that sells them?), but at least I've got the gamerush thing to fall back on and use up my credit for.[/QUOTE]
I've only seen one BD movie ever traded in, so that's a big YMMV but it was at one of the stores that had no BD rental section. That said, I've seen BDs for sale at every BBV I've checked and they weren't all BBV/GR locations. Now, I've asked and been told that they don't carry BD movies only to find them on my own, so perhaps the stores are just giving your the same line they give me? The sections are small and sometimes hidden around surrounding DVDs. I've seen them on aisle endcaps too because they don't use much space (considering the limited selection).

Not sure if it was mentioned/posted yet, but in the current BB add, they mention the above deal ($10off 2x HD-DVD/$20off 3x HD-DVD).

Didn't specify which titles, I got the impression it was all of them.
Have fun!
-manji

[quote name='Manji']Not sure if it was mentioned/posted yet, but in the current BB add, they mention the above deal ($10off 2x HD-DVD/$20off 3x HD-DVD).

Didn't specify which titles, I got the impression it was all of them.
Have fun!
-manji[/QUOTE]

It probably is all of them.

I was hoping to pick up Dragonheart, Lost in Translation and Frighteners. Someone over at DVDTalk mentioned this though:

In case you were planning on getting these in-store, we won't carry those 3 HD-DVDs in the store, just on BestBuy.com (sadly). Someone else mentioned Eternal Sunshine, that one is marked as carryable in-store, but no stores in my district got any in. I was told by corporate that most of the catalog releases coming out on HD-DVD will be .com only, in-store will be mainly new release titles. Check online first, if it's a 7-digit SKU starting with 7 or 8, we might have it in-store. If it's an 8 digit SKU starting with 1, it's online only, and bestbuy.com should have it listed as "Not Available" under Store Pickup (as opposed to Coming Soon for new releases)

[quote name='Demolition Man']I almost thought about jumping to BBV's Total Access just on the basis of being able to return my online rentals instore and using the free rental to pick up whatever next movie I would of rented online instead on HD. Looks like I'll be sticking with Netflix for a bit. Honestly Netflix has been great for HD-DVD rentals. Been getting a nice turnaround on discs overall regardless of it being SD or HD (except for one TNA Wrestling one that is coming from a Kansas location).[/quote]Well, I believe total access still has HD online, and then you can return those for SD DVD if there are no HD in store. It's still an advantage over netflix since you only get the rentals in the mail from netflix.

Just so you all know though, I do work for blockbuster. Just saying you can still get HD.

Many sell them or at least accept them as trade-ins. Only a few rent them. I have to drive past two stores to get to one and I still usually end up walking out with the DVD just becasue they haven't put out the BD yet (though it is available). I don't understand why no smaller competitors are taking advantage of BBV's position (they can't make a major move nationally/internationally before the format war is decided). I mean, even if BOTH formats fail, a smaller store would make money just by making sure that they were the only place any BD/HD-DVD owner rents from!

Case in point: Hastings. There is only one location in my entire state and I would never rent a BD from BBV if Hastings would simply stock and rent one of each of them. PS3/BD/HD-DVD owners don't amount to much, but if you got pretty much the exclusive business of everyone in town, you'd notice the $$$ effect.
Well, I think it comes down to cost. I've always wondered why blockbuster never has amazing sales on older dvds, and their prices sorta suck, when if you look at BB and CC, they have a new cheap dvd sale each week. I think it's cause, as most know, new DVD's have a small profit margin. Blockbuster sells them as an aside to the rentals. So for blockbuster or hollywood or a major renter to rent out hd stuff, without a huge demand yet, that's probably going to be very expensive. Then to say a smaller chain or store should do it, there's no way. HD is still a niche market that's too expensive.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']Well, I believe total access still has HD online, and then you can return those for SD DVD if there are no HD in store. It's still an advantage over netflix since you only get the rentals in the mail from netflix.

Just so you all know though, I do work for blockbuster. Just saying you can still get HD.[/QUOTE]

While I can still get HD thru Blockbusters online program I'd rather stick with Netflix in this case. I know that Netflix has a processing center here in my area. However with Blockbuster they don't at least on the FAQ have any information on where their processing centers are.

[quote name='Demolition Man']While I can still get HD thru Blockbusters online program I'd rather stick with Netflix in this case. I know that Netflix has a processing center here in my area. However with Blockbuster they don't at least on the FAQ have any information on where their processing centers are.[/quote]Hmm, about all I know is my shipping center is in sac so it takes maybe 2 days to get a movie.

I found this though: http://www.hackingnetflix.com/netflix/2005/01/new_blockbuster.html

Maybe that can help, although it would be nice if there was an official list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back