HD DVD thread - Toshiba: HD DVD DISCONTINUED, REPAIR/SUPPORT CONTINUES, NO BLU PLANS

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='SteveMcQ']Looking for another filler HD-DVD to do the CDUniverse GCO deal, so which of the Discovery Atlas discs are the best? Australia, Brazil, China or Brazil? I've only seen the China episode broadcast thus far.[/QUOTE]

I own brazil and china. I think I like brazil a little more, but it mostly comes down to which culture/country you find more interesting.

BTW- If you are using a 360 add-on to play, as of now Australia and Italy don't work. They will be fixed in the upcoming patch though.

BTW, Amir said today that the patch is coming in weeks, not months. Hinting that it should be here within a month.

Good news about the re-release of Army of Darkness. I might pick that up.

I never understood the combo-disc thing. I'm obviously buying and HD-DVD for a hi-def transfer, why would I want a standard-def version of the movie? I guess it makes sense if you let someone borrow the movie, who doesn't have an HD-DVD player?

I blind bought "Slither" a couple days ago. Awesome movie. B-Movie tribute goodness.

I was thankful for the standard def side a few weeks ago. Had Hollywoodland rented from Netflix and was watching it with some freinds on the 360 HD DVD drive. 3/4 of the way through it froze, and the player wouldn't recognize the HD side no matter what. We flipped it over to the standard side and finished watching.

Of course, the only discs the 360 has had trouble with have been the combo discs...

[quote name='asianxcore']Good news about the re-release of Army of Darkness. I might pick that up.

I never understood the combo-disc thing. I'm obviously buying and HD-DVD for a hi-def transfer, why would I want a standard-def version of the movie? I guess it makes sense if you let someone borrow the movie, who doesn't have an HD-DVD player?

I blind bought "Slither" a couple days ago. Awesome movie. B-Movie tribute goodness.[/quote]
its not for people who have HD-DVD players already. its for people who have DVD players and are waiting for the stand alone players to come down in price.

More good news for combo haters.

In the latest indication of a lessening of support for the controversial HD DVD/DVD combo format, Universal Studios Home Entertainment has reconfigured the planned April combo releases of 'The Jerk' and 'The Nutty Professor' to be HD DVD-only.

Eagle-eyed HD DVD fans first noticed the change late last week, when Amazon.com cancelled pre-orders of the two combo discs, only to re-list both titles under new SKUs, with updated specs and a new suggested retail price of $29.98 (down from $34.98).

This latest move by the Universal comes on the heels of news late last week that the studio is discontinuing two of its most popular combo catalogue releases ('Army of Darkness' and 'Unleashed') and instead re-issuing them as HD DVD-only editions.

Universal had been the most vocal supporter of the hybrid concept, going so far earlier this year as to pledge that 90% of its 2007 next-gen titles would be released in the hybrid format.

But while these recent moves and a quick glance at the specs on their other upcoming releases would appear to indicate that Universal is dropping the combo format on its catalogue titles altogether, the studio seems to still be embracing the hybrid concept for their day-and-date (with standard-def DVD) releases -- including such recently announced titles as 'The Hitcher' and 'Alpha Dog' -- most of which are still planned for combo disc release.

As always, we'll keep you posted on any further changes to Universal's combo plans, and in the meantime, we've updated the listings for 'The Jerk' (due April 17) and 'The Nutty Professor' (due April 24) in our HD DVD Release Schedule to reflect their new configurations. Watch for complete reviews of both titles as their release dates draw near.

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news...ofessor_Latest_Universal_Combo_Retoolings/554

It's good they are removing the combo discs...although, from what I read...Army of Darkness needs some work before they call it "HD" ;)

^^^It's funny, I thought I heard the same thing, but looking at the Tier list it actually has a respectable showing. Not that the tier list is all-powerful, but I would have thought it would be low 3 or 4 range.

I may pick it up now that it's cheaper, but I don't know...I've bought Army of Darkness so many times on DVD already, and I KNOW they'll probably double or triple dip this one as well.

Mallrats is up for pre-order. Not exactly a showpiece disc, but the commentary is my favorite movie commentary of all time.

http://www.amazon.com/Mallrats-HD-D...-9265443?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1175626666&sr=1-70

This playback issue is strange to me, since it seems to only affect certain people. I do get the "reading, then nothing" result when I put in a disc once in a great while, but usually trying again and/or powering off then on fixes it. Haven't picked up CoM yet, but I may give it a shot.

If this is a massively widespread issue, they need to get the firmware update out NOW. If anything is going to kill the format in 2007, it won't be Blu-Ray, it'll be something like this.

You know, I think I'm the only one that buys movies on DVD and HD DVD and could care less about any extras or commentaries. I never watched any of them and I have about 100+ movies.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']You know, I think I'm the only one that buys movies on DVD and HD DVD and could care less about any extras or commentaries. I never watched any of them and I have about 100+ movies.[/QUOTE]

You really should check out the extras on "Mallrats" CE, it's worth it.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']You know, I think I'm the only one that buys movies on DVD and HD DVD and could care less about any extras or commentaries. I never watched any of them and I have about 100+ movies.[/QUOTE]
I don't care about extras either. But I still buy the CE's, SE's, and whatever premium editions of movies.

I could care less about extras...unless it was a movie I REALLY liked. Commentaries just seem boring to me. I just find it to long to watch a movie again with people talking over it.

Some are ok though...Revenge of the Nerds extras were decent. I guess that is why I use Blockbuster.com for my movie needs now.

[quote name='doubledown']I could care less about extras...unless it was a movie I REALLY liked. Commentaries just seem boring to me. I just find it to long to watch a movie again with people talking over it.

Some are ok though...Revenge of the Nerds extras were decent. I guess that is why I use Blockbuster.com for my movie needs now.[/QUOTE]

I think I said this before, but Poseiden was actually 2x better, for me, with IME turned on.

I am crapping my pants about this:

B000OONTFU.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V24893794_.jpg

I read somewhere that the matrix HD is coming out first on HD-DVD and later on Blu-Ray?

Pre-order now!!!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000OONTFU/panandscathed-20

[quote name='oasisboy']I am crapping my pants about this:

I read somewhere that the matrix HD is coming out first on HD-DVD and later on Blu-Ray?

Pre-order now!!!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000OONTFU/panandscathed-20[/QUOTE]

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2768343&postcount=524
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2768343&postcount=531

we know, but it's a great reminder that the end of next month will rock!
and yes, hd dvd only until later this year.

Thank you to Cheapy D and the mods for letting us talk about HD-DVD's in the 360 forum here on CAG. On the IGN Message Boards (which I pay for) they only let you talk about the HD-DVD drive itself; any mention of the actual movies gets the topic locked, because IGN has a seperate DVD forum.

If we complain about it, the mods tell us to post in the forum issues thread, and then our complaints are locked saying basically "that's the way it is and it won't change, too bad." The PS3 board there had all kinds of talk about Blu-Ray movies until we started to complain and now their Blu-Ray topics are locked as well.

Is The Good Shepard any good? I might get that on HD-DVD if it's a good movie and they aren't any problems with the disk (have $20 rewards certificate to CC right now.)

BDA confirms fake forum accounts & blogs created to promote Blu-Ray - "Phase Hydra"

From a reliable industry insider:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=10208851&&#post10208851

[quote name='BDA Meeting in Fukuoka']The BDA has formally kicked off a new PR campaign called "Phase Hydra"....its purpose is to seed "high profile" forums with Blu-ray advocates and target bloggers to promote Blu-ray to get the word out to the world...the campaign will also focus on "smaller, independent studio issues"...[/quote]

Coming from Sony, the company that created fake movie reviewers to promote their theatrical releases as well as fake PSP users to promote the PSP for XMAS 2006 (iwantapspforxmas). Think CAG was targetted? :)

[quote name='Ruined']BDA confirms fake forum accounts & blogs created to promote Blu-Ray - "Phase Hydra"

Coming from Sony, the company that created fake movie reviewers to promote their theatrical releases as well as fake PSP users to promote the PSP for XMAS 2006 (iwantapspforxmas). Think CAG was targetted? :)[/QUOTE]
:roll: :roll: oh please, people are allowed to like blu ray if they want to

[quote name='anomynous']:roll: :roll: oh please, people are allowed to like blu ray if they want to[/QUOTE]

And some people liking it doesn't mean that many aren't being paid to prop it up with fake forum accounts and anecdotes as stated by the Blu-Ray Disc Association. :)

Many people liked the PSP yet that didn't stop Sony from trying to create more demand by releasing iwantapspforxmas YouTube videos with marketeers posing as consumers, appears they are using the same strategy with Blu-Ray but more stealthily.

[quote name='asianxcore']For those of you looking forward to "The Good Shepherd", it looks like it may have had the same problem Children of Men did.

http://dvd.themanroom.com/dvd-newsview.php?id=532[/QUOTE]
damnit. I have to try the copy I bought today and make sure it works. My CoM scared me the first time I played it because it would stutter every few seconds and really pissed me off. After some tinkering with it it played fine.

[quote name='Ruined']BDA confirms fake forum accounts & blogs created to promote Blu-Ray - "Phase Hydra"

Coming from Sony, the company that created fake movie reviewers to promote their theatrical releases as well as fake PSP users to promote the PSP for XMAS 2006 (iwantapspforxmas). Think CAG was targetted? :)[/QUOTE]

I have been following this story intensely. Very spooky what's going on.

First, I posted a summary of what happened over at highdefdigest.com. One of the mods suddenly changed the subject and acted all upset that I used the word "witch hunt" and locked the thread saying the thread had been derailed and was offensive. :hot:

Also, the alleged hacker who posted this information, posted a question on the insiders thread:
Originally Posted by amillians
To any BD insiders:

Is AVS Forum part of Phase Hydra? The Digital Bits? Engadet?

This question was deleted by the mods. But not before Amir was able to respond to it, and preserving it in his quote..

Amir's response was very interesting:
Damn, is there something you don't know Alex?

If we ever write a book on this whole story, we need to dedicate a chapter to you .

Wonder how many people will get what we are talking about....

Just a few minutes ago, in another thread, the hacker posted this:
I can't tell if some people think me guilty of making all this up or not, but I assure you, there is a "Phase Hydra" campaign underway...I can't verify what websites/forums/blogs are involved, though. And yes, I agree that the HD DVD PRG likely has a similar campaign, only smaller and relying on people with less bandwidth to post.

The BDA even has a picture of a hydra they are using to generate internal awareness at BDA events:

httpwwwbluraydiscbm8.png

P.S. I never thought this little trifle would generate so much discussion--I kind of assumed we were already witness to this type of stuff and I was just verifying the name. I've only had two posts here deleted by the mods, the first being when I posted Warner's original HD DVD rollout schedule, and now this (my question in the Insider's thread was deleted, but the damage was already done). Spooky...

Spooky indeed.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Another reason why I just can't support Sony.[/QUOTE]

Because they have viral marketing? Sooooo many companies do this. You better sell off your 360 too then. :D

Anyway, anyone have any problems with Children of Men? I picked it up yesterday and when I stick it in my 360 HD-DVD drive I get a cannot read disc message.

Im taking it up to best buy to exchange it, but was just wondering if this happened to anyone else.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Because they have viral marketing? Sooooo many companies do this. [/quote]

I just don't respect the way they do buisness, with these secret people in charge to post "nice" things about Sony products on tons of forums anywhere, its just playing dirty, trying to brainwash everyone by forcing down info and media down anyone's throats.

[quote name='nharmon91']old news buddy[/quote]

Not to me... its not like I have time to scroll through 30+ pages in this thread...

[quote name='rodeojones903']
Anyway, anyone have any problems with Children of Men? I picked it up yesterday and when I stick it in my 360 HD-DVD drive I get a cannot read disc message.

Im taking it up to best buy to exchange it, but was just wondering if this happened to anyone else.[/QUOTE]

It has. It's been posted in this and many other forums already. It seems to be a manufacturing problem. I had no problems at all with my copy. But chances are if you keep exchanging it you'll get a good copy.

For those o fyou having trouble with the combo discs try boiling them in Hot water...I have seen a few posts elsewhere that this solves some of the problems. You dont want to leave it in there forever jsut a bi should do (so i read)..then let dry and try to play it.....I havent tried it yet but if my replacement CoM doesnt work and the GS that I have now doesnt work I am going to try it to see if it works.

Also for those of you that DONT know this already here is a list of release dates TY to HiDef Digest :)

April 03, 2007

April 10, 2007

April 17, 2007

April 24, 2007

May 01, 2007

May 08, 2007

May 15, 2007

May 22, 2007

May 29, 2007

June 05, 2007

June 12, 2007

June 26, 2007

July 03, 2007

July 24, 2007

Here is a list of available Pre Orders Thanks again to HiDef Digest

Also, the Warner sale is still going on BUT you can only use 2 codes at once...If you order more then 60$ it MAY give you free shipping if not then all you need to do is call the 18xx number and the CS will help you out...

http://whv.warnerbros.com/

Codes
WBNEWS=20% off
USD=10% off
USFS= Free standard shipping

Remember you can use WBNEWS and (USD OR USFS) only 2 are stackable

There are some problems with the CS email and the mycheckout pages but dont worry the site is legit and they are shipping the titles.

List of some of thier HD DVDs

http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/Portal/browsesearchtitles.jsp?functionmode=11&formatType=HD-DVD

there are more available but you have to use different search requirements.

looks like may i'll be buying too many movies

alpha dog
hitcher
black xmas
harsh times
fountain
matrix trilogy
iwo jima

deja vu and apocalypto on blu ray

my poor bank account :(

[quote name='guyver2077']i was suprised this morning to see my scanner darkly shipped from warner[/QUOTE]

just checked... mine also shipped (on the 3rd) with a delivery date of the 9th... what's funny is that i also ordered 2 other hd dvd's and all 3 shipped the same day... in 2 different packages...

wow.. thats awesome service then... it should get here before the 10th then...

i was going to cancel it too since i didnt want to wait till may 22

did they use usps?

[quote name='guyver2077']wow.. thats awesome service then... it should get here before the 10th then...

did they use usps?[/QUOTE]

You should have gotten a tracking number with your email.

My order was mailed out UPS.

[quote name='guyver2077']wow.. thats awesome service then... it should get here before the 10th then...

i was going to cancel it too since i didnt want to wait till may 22

did they use usps?[/QUOTE]

the tracking number is UPS'.... not bad for free shipping, multiple %'s off and having it in hand a day before release.

[quote name='guyver2077']damn ups is kinda gay.. i always miss their shipments[/QUOTE]
so do i, but the local processing center is literally down the street and to the right for me.... so i will have mine on the 9th....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=10208851&&#post10208851[/quote]
This doesn't surprise me at all. I've been extremely wary of the AVS forums over the past several months, as not a day or two goes by where someone doesn't post a variant of "HD-DVD is dying?" when it has been talked about constantly why it's not going anywhere. When someone calls them out on it, they get all defensive saying "What, I'm just wondering because there are no good movies coming out! I want to know if there is anything good coming!" or some other nonsense answer. Not saying those are all BDA employees, but it becomes painfully obvious that SOMETHING is going on when you get the same shit week in and week out.

Think CAG was targetted? :)
They'd probably be outed pretty quickly, since this thread/area of the forums has been pretty much format war-free. Besides that, this doesn't seem like a very high profile site in regards to HD-DVD/Blu-Ray stuff.

Looks like Japan is getting Band Of Brothers before us.

'Band of Brothers' Arriving On HD DVD in Japan, July 27

Toshiba Entertainment Inc. has announced that the HD DVD release of Tom Hanks' and Steven Spielberg's Band of Brothers will arrive in Japan on July 27.

The entire series which was originally produced with high definition TVs in mind and consist of 10 parts will released in 5 volumes. Each HD DVD (HD-30 disc) will contain one volume of the series, comprising of 2 parts. The 5 volumes are expected to be sold seperately, with each volume being priced at 3,990 Yen. The main feature on each disc will be presented in 1080p High Definition 16x9 1.78:1 with Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1 (English & Japanese voiceover) audio. Only Japanese subtitles are provided. All discs will contain the following as bonus materials:
- Preview trailer of the next few parts (Japanese edition)
- Interactive "Field Guide" featuring timelines, maps, profiles and other information
- Staff & Cast Profile

Documentary We Stand Alone Together (80 mins.) will be available only on the Vol. 5 HD DVD disc.

http://hddvdformat.blogspot.com/

Bad news for any would-be importers though. The total cost of all 5 volumes would be $167.85 not including importer markup and shipping.

[quote name='Ph8te']Also, the Warner sale is still going on BUT you can only use 2 codes at once...If you order more then 60$ it MAY give you free shipping if not then all you need to do is call the 18xx number and the CS will help you out...

http://whv.warnerbros.com/

Codes
WBNEWS=20% off
USD=10% off
USFS= Free standard shipping

Remember you can use WBNEWS and (USD OR USFS) only 2 are stackable

There are some problems with the CS email and the mycheckout pages but dont worry the site is legit and they are shipping the titles.

List of some of thier HD DVDs

http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/Portal/browsesearchtitles.jsp?functionmode=11&formatType=HD-DVD

there are more available but you have to use different search requirements.[/QUOTE]

Thank you thank you thank you! You just saved me $27! :applause:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back