Heavy Rain Discussion Thread

The DLC, while cool, isn't really worth the $5. I loved (LOVED) Heavy Rain, but the Taxidermist stuff didn't really add much to the experience for me, and is hard to justify for the price. For free, it was cool. For $5, I can't recommend it.

I also have trouble recommending it because sales aren't going to mean anything... David Cage basically already stated that because Sony wanted Move support, future DLC is very unlikely to happen. I'd guess sales of the DLC would have to REALLY jump to get any more.

[quote name='Jodou']Let's be honest here. We already know who the killer is, so why would anyone pay more money just to push buttons?[/QUOTE]

It's for people haven't play the game yet. Even if they know, playing with the Move controllers is a different experience. Honestly, if you plat this game already, you probably know the game inside out... Only if you want other people to watch the drama while you play.

[quote name='Jodou']That's nice. WTF does that have to do with paid DLC?[/QUOTE]
Oh sorry, i thought you meant buying the Move controller and play HR again with it knowing who's the killer is...

For the DLC, the Taxidermist for example, it's more about giving you backgrounds to the characters in HR. In the Taxidermist, it's about Madison chasing the Taxidermist serial killer. It sort of answer the sleeping disorder that she's suffering from. And of course, the guy she talks to over the cellphone (i believe the name is Sam?). Which explains how she find the shady doctor's address in HR... And connecting the dots, it explains why she's following Ethan in HR as well (it's not a coincidence).

[quote name='Jodou']Let's be honest here. We already know who the killer is, so why would anyone pay more money just to push buttons?[/QUOTE]

what a stupid statement

I liked the DLC- it was much more suspenseful, creepy, and action filled than anything that happened in the original game. Unfortunately, by the time I started playing it- I had just finished my platinum and I was kind of over the game.

That said- it would have been a lot more fun in the game- and it would have explained Madison's background a little bit better (although, i kind of liked that it was just hinted at thoughout). I wish that the "Move Edition" was more of a director's cut that included all the extra stuff- but it sounds like they never even made it.

[quote name='nbballard']I liked the DLC- it was much more suspenseful, creepy, and action filled than anything that happened in the original game. Unfortunately, by the time I started playing it- I had just finished my platinum and I was kind of over the game.

That said- it would have been a lot more fun in the game- and it would have explained Madison's background a little bit better (although, i kind of liked that it was just hinted at thoughout). I wish that the "Move Edition" was more of a director's cut that included all the extra stuff- but it sounds like they never even made it.[/QUOTE]

I certainly hoping for some kind of director's cut DLC or whatever... There's one character should have more spot light, Grace, Ethan's ex-wife. There might be a scene that explains why Grace gave up on Ethan (i.e. seeing him absent minded, seeing him with origami figures, disappears when it rains etc.) If you get to control Grace, you probably find clues to Ethan is the origami killer... That definitely put a new twist in HR.

Finished the game. I was a bit disappointed that
Scott Shelby
was the killer. But, Besides that I enjoyed the game very much and I was satisfied with my ending/s. I you tubed the others and they were messed up for the most part. I hope they will make another game in a similar vein down the road.

This game was right up my alley. I got one of the best endings where
Scott dies and everybody else lives

It it possible to
escape into the subway with Madison toward the end?

I'm working on my 2nd playthrough.

I have to say the motive for the killer was good, but
the fact that Scott is spending all his time chasing himself down is kind of ludicous.

Nitpicks:

-Walking around and the tank controls are wack. I'm constantly walking in circles trying get my character to move where I'm wanting him to at times.

-It's hard to see what button you're supposed to hit some of the time. They should have made the box around the button bigger; I can't always distinguish between square and circle. I don't mean the floating thinking buttons; that was implemented well, especially when the character is understress and thinking of what to do/say under pressure.

-The facial models were well done and realistic, but the characters still come off as stiff and wooden.

-Changing the difficulty didn't help me much during the very difficult
power plant section- give me a QTE, don't make me play twister with my fingers.

The first DLC was made before the actors had really got into character and having the same person who did Scott's voice be the enemy in it could cause some confusion. It was made before the game and wasn't great.

I was really looking forward to more DLC though, specially ones where you played as the killer. I wasn't interested in playing the game with Move. Nor do I now anyone who has not purchased this game who wanted it.

Would rather have new DLC than Move support any day, very poor decision by Sony to scrap future DLC chapters.

[quote name='2DMention']I'm working on my 2nd playthrough.

I have to say the motive for the killer was good, but
the fact that Scott is spending all his time chasing himself down is kind of ludicous.
[/QUOTE][/quote]
He was tying up his loose ends by following up with his victims' families to get any potential evidence that's still out there, not chasing himself.

He was tying up his loose ends by following up with his victims' families to get any potential evidence that's still out there, not chasing himself.
That makes a little more sense, but it still seems ludicrious.
He seems lucky that he has gotten all the families to hire him. Do you even get a chance not to throw away the evidence at the end? Why don't the police have that stuff in their posession? Why didn't Ethan just go to the cops about the shoebox? Also, at what points can all the other characters die? If they could die early, that would be one short game.

[quote name='2DMention']That makes a little more sense, but it still seems ludicrious.
He seems lucky that he has gotten all the families to hire him. Do you even get a chance not to throw away the evidence at the end? Why don't the police have that stuff in their posession? Why didn't Ethan just go to the cops about the shoebox? Also, at what points can all the other characters die? If they could die early, that would be one short game.
[/QUOTE]

That's a good question :) I'm going to answer it in a spoiler free way...

The answer is very simple... The box contains the trials, as parents of kidnapped kids, the first instinct is not to contact authority, because by then, the kid is dead (as pointed out by Origami Killer's recording, i.e. "you kid will die in xxx hours, if you don't xxx.")

It is ludicrous that all of the families followed the same pattern (i.e. not to call police and do the trials). But the thing is, none of them come close to completing the trials. And because of that, the father is too ashamed to turn in, because he has failed to save his kid, he has failed the trails.
The store owner, he gave Shelby the box, apparently he didn't do the lizard trail and he's ashamed of himself, you can see that in his eyes and his elusive dialogue if you let him killed by the robber.

Also, there were dead bodies in the butterfly trail when you're controlling Ethan, those bodies could be the fathers from prior trials.

Note: the father is under the trials, I haven't see any mothers put under the tests, the Origami Killer must have studied the families before the strikes. Perhaps he picked the families are easy for him to prey on: kid of a prostitute, kid of a store owner in a crime heaving neighborhood, kid from a trailer sort of family (poor looking). Of course, Ethan on the other hand, doesn't fit into the pattern at all. However, we all know that the Origami Killer was there when Jason died... That's when the Origami Killer decided to break the norm and bet on himself :) This is the reason why I wanted to know more about Grace, how she came up her Origami Killer theory (I already know, but just curious how she handled those spooky moments when Ethan gone blank).

As to why didn't Ethan throw away the box or give it to the police, we all know why.... because
Ethan suppose to be the Origami Killer as the game want us to believe
Of course, the game concealed that fact quite nicely :)

Ethan didn't go to the police because he don't want to lose Shaun like he did with Jason, he's struggling within himself, it's like he know he's not the Origami Killer, but he's doing the Origami Killer's work. He's simply confused and the only way to redeem himself is to go through the trials. In a way, it proves that Ethan is suicidal. Until of course that hot
sex scene
:)

[quote name='2DMention']That makes a little more sense, but it still seems ludicrious.
[/QUOTE]
I haven't played the game in months, so I may be missing some things.
Did Scott actually get hired to follow the Origami Killer or did he just say that as a ploy to follow up with the victims and convince them to work with him? I'd imagine that the one father kept the box because of the guilt he felt over failing to save his son, much like the other one left his wife and newborn for the same reason. Ethan was already at the police when his son was taken to see how likely they would be to find his son, so he probably wanted to take the responsibility on himself to find his son. They could die at any point where there is a possibility of death, so you could have Shelby drown in the car or have him as the only one left to get away with it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I haven't played the game in months, so I may be missing some things.
Did Scott actually get hired to follow the Origami Killer or did he just say that as a ploy to follow up with the victims and convince them to work with him? I'd imagine that the one father kept the box because of the guilt he felt over failing to save his son, much like the other one left his wife and newborn for the same reason. Ethan was already at the police when his son was taken to see how likely they would be to find his son, so he probably wanted to take the responsibility on himself to find his son. They could die at any point where there is a possibility of death, so you could have Shelby drown in the car or have him as the only one left to get away with it.
[/QUOTE]

No, nobody hired Scott... Lauren Winters figured that out in one of the endings (Mother's Revenge). As for the father left the wife and baby may have been killed in one of the trials. He appears to be an alcoholic, but all we know is that there's no shoe box from that family, only the phone with Origami Killer's message.

Interesting angle on letting Scott Shelby drown :lol: I never thought of it... Of course if that happens, there's no final battle for Norman. So, you can have Norman or Madison to save Ethan.

[quote name='Serpentor']
No, nobody hired Scott... Lauren Winters figured that out in one of the endings (Mother's Revenge). As for the father left the wife and baby may have been killed in one of the trials. He appears to be an alcoholic, but all we know is that there's no shoe box from that family, only the phone with Origami Killer's message.

Interesting angle on letting Scott Shelby drown :lol: I never thought of it... Of course if that happens, there's no final battle for Norman. So, you can have Norman or Madison to save Ethan.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, he left them to take on the trials but I thought he came back since the phone was there before disappearing again, which was why his wife was trying to kill herself.

If you don't do anything or at least not quick enough, he can drown. He could probably get shot up in the mansion, too. I almost saved Lauren in the car, but the prompt that I thought was for getting her out of the seat belt was really to escape out of the window or door.

[quote name='Serpentor']

[/QUOTE]

Somebody said in another thread that the game doesn't let you kill Scott before the final act. In the car, he just eventually swims out.

I've never killed any of the characters (except Scott) in my playthoughs. I don't have the heart to do it

If you sit in the car and try and get Scott to drown, the screen goes black and he's transported himself onto land and if scott gets shot up at the mansion he just runs out the front door. No consequences. It's total bullshit but they had to have him at the end I guess.

[quote name='sotc1988']
If you sit in the car and try and get Scott to drown, the screen goes black and he's transported himself onto land and if scott gets shot up at the mansion he just runs out the front door. No consequences. It's total bullshit but they had to have him at the end I guess.
[/QUOTE]
Weird. It's not like he couldn't be found out if he died earlier since Madison was following that stuff and figured out most of it before finding his place to confirm it, unless I'm mixing up the order of events. After that, it would be about Ethan racing to find his son and saving him before it's too late.

:lol: Even though I platinum the game and pretty much played all of the major angles and yet, you guys amazed me with the new findings, thanks!

If you play the game for the first time and you accidentally messed up the lake part or just not good with the gun fight part, you will scratch your head as to why the doofus can't be killed :lol:

Yeah, I couldn't get myself to kill off any of the characters either, it's so inhumane :lol:

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
Yeah, he left them to take on the trials but I thought he came back since the phone was there before disappearing again, which was why his wife was trying to kill herself.
[/QUOTE]

Wow, good memory! Yes, I remember now... But it can be still interpreted two ways. One way is what you just said. The other way is, the guy never came back and the wife is sick of waiting for him to come back. One thing is pretty clear though, the guy couldn't have gone too long, the beer bottles are not cleaned up.... And as to Shelby just walked in to rescue her is not really a coincidence at all...
He must have checked on the family, since he needs to uncover the evidences, he has to save the wife. Besides letting her die will raise too many red flags and it's never his intend to kill the mothers anyway.

One thing I don't get is why does Scott even bother going after the Rich kid at the party when he knows he already did it himself? He's not trying to collect evidence from him like he did with the parents of the people he killed.

Beat it with probably the
worst ending - A mother's revenge. I killed Madison off my making her jump out the window. She was pretty much key to finding Shaun. Everybody else dies except for Laura. I wonder what the ending would be like if Laura would die? How many endings are there in this game, anyway?
I think I'm done with this game. I don't have any real interest in playing it again. I've got 51% of the trophys. I probably won't DL the Taxidermist. I could probably play it at a friend's house.

Edit: Looked at all the endings on youtube, and I got maybe 4 of them on my last playthough.
What's the deal with Norman's glasses? Are they connected to the drugs he's taking somehow? Does he need to take the drugs for the glasses to work? One ending has him still seeing the tanks on the desk even though he takes the glasses off

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='2DMention']
One thing I don't get is why does Scott even bother going after the Rich kid at the party when he knows he already did it himself? He's not trying to collect evidence from him like he did with the parents of the people he killed.
[/QUOTE]

That's a good question too :)

Okay, partly because the game is trying to mask who's the Origami Killer, so it keeps up the suspense.... The other reason is that
The rich guy, Kramer, is connected to Scott's brother's death (John), the kid drowned on his construction site. Not that Kramer needs to give a damn, but somehow he shows a softer side of him by placing flowers on the dead kid's grave every year. Maybe Kramer just feel sorry for John's death. And of course, Scott knows this and he obviously needs to find ways to tie up this loose end. Kramer knows Scott's mother, so he's a lead to the identity of the survived twin boy, which is the Origami Killer.

In the Perfect Crime trophy, you know why the Origami Killer has to go after Kramer...

[quote name='2DMention']
Edit: Looked at all the endings on youtube, and I got maybe 4 of them on my last playthough.
What's the deal with Norman's glasses? Are they connected to the drugs he's taking somehow? Does he need to take the drugs for the glasses to work? One ending has him still seeing the tanks on the desk even though he takes the glasses off
[/QUOTE]

Not a very good question, because you didn't put an effort to understand the drug problem that Jayden is facing....

From Wiki:

Norman Jayden is an FBI profiler sent to support the police force with their investigation into the Origami Killer. Jayden possesses a set of experimental augmented reality glasses called an "Added Reality Interface", or ARI. It allows him to rapidly investigate crime scenes and analyze evidence. He is also struggling with an addiction to the drug triptocaine. He is voiced by and modelled after Leon Ockenden.

The ending you saw, the tanks coming alive without the ARI glasses, it's a sign that Norman Jayden is consumed by the drug. He supposed to quit it and in the game, you're supposed to make him quit. Of course, if you choose not to, then Jayden will be hooked on it....

[quote name='Serpentor']
The ending you saw, the tanks coming alive without the ARI glasses, it's a sign that Norman Jayden is consumed by the drug. He supposed to quit it and in the game, you're supposed to make him quit. Of course, if you choose not to, then Jayden will be hooked on it....
[/QUOTE]
I don't think that's true. That's the ending I got, and it was after he flushes the last of the tripto down the toilet. I never had him take any tripto, and the ending makes if fairly clear (IMO) that he's broken free of it. Seems to me like the tanks are due to ARI, not tripto.

Edit: To elaborate a little more, you'll notice that he always has a craving for tripto immediately after using ARI. It seems like tripto is intended to deal with the side effects from ARI. You'll also notice that the butler insidie ARI ("be careful not to indulge in you-know-what too much") never mentions tripto by name -- he might be talking about ARI.

[quote name='madcatz1999']
I don't think that's true. That's the ending I got, and it was after he flushes the last of the tripto down the toilet. I never had him take any tripto, and the ending makes if fairly clear (IMO) that he's broken free of it. Seems to me like the tanks are due to ARI, not tripto.

Edit: To elaborate a little more, you'll notice that he always has a craving for tripto immediately after using ARI. It seems like tripto is intended to deal with the side effects from ARI. You'll also notice that the butler insidie ARI ("be careful not to indulge in you-know-what too much") never mentions tripto by name -- he might be talking about ARI.
[/QUOTE]

Dude, nice angle of looking at thing! Now that you put it that way, yep, I think you got a good point there, thanks for sharing the thought :)

be careful not to indulge in you-know-what too much ---- yep, it's pretty clever in using you-know-what....

anyone actually bother to keep on replaying this game to get all the endings? Just rented it from GF and beated it. Got the ending where
everyone lives except Jayden. I was fighting Shelby with him on the conveyor belt and I had to flick the controller up. I did it but it didnt register, so I got hit with a hammer and fell to my death. I really want to get the game and try all the endings, but I think it might get boring.

[quote name='nbballard']not out until Wednesday[/QUOTE]

EU store has the demo up with move support. Don't have Move yet so I don't know if/how it works.

To be honest, I didn't think the Move support was that great, the motions didn't quite seem to match what was happening on screen more often than not. It does work well though, it just needs a bit better execution / immersion

Since the news about the DLC chapters being cancelled, they've released some new behind the scenes videos on PSN recently and one is about content that was cut out of the game. They had a lot of experimental stuff that was going to be in the game along with sequences that would explain certain aspects of the story and the characters more clearly, like
Madison having some scenes at the American Tribune where she worked and did research on the Origami Killer and you'd redecorate her apartment in the first scene there. Also, she's an insomniac because of her experiences as a war correspondent in Iraq. They let you experience Ethan's blackouts as he swam around in water-filled buildings where he'd meet a recent victim of the origami killer and wake up with the origami in his hand. You'd also see scenes when he'd blackout with his post-divorce house filling up with water and a tsunami wave hitting the park where Shaun was taken. The water is symbol of the Origami Killer's mind since Ethan had somehow gained a mental link to the Origami Killer's mind, which was taken out to get rid of the paranormal stuff, minus the origami figure Ethan had in his hand when he awoke. Ethan would move to the same place where Scott's brother was killed and made the origami figures himself at the same time as Scott made them due to that mental link. There was also going to be a longer scene with Shaun as Ethan takes care of him in the morning and takes him to school that was taken out since it seemed repetitious compared to what you do in the first scene. The last thing is about Scott smothering his mother with a pillow after she spills the beans to Madison, which was removed because it was a bit too violent for a guy that was obsessed with finding worthy fathers.

I saw that last week and yeah, a lot of it would have explained WTF was going on with the blackouts and Madison. Quite honestly, I don't think it would have helped the story either way though.

I understand the reasoning behind removing the "Mental Link" thing (it's kind of a stretch), but the reality of it is that they left in the "blackouts", and it screwed up the story.

anybody try this with the move? I havent started the game, but I would like to purchase the move if it makes the enriches the game play.

finally got around to beating it and wow. this is one of the best games ive played in a while definelty a must play for ps3 owners hell its good enough that i want to see all possible outcomes. so glad i avoided any and all spoilers for it.

[quote name='lokizz']finally got around to beating it and wow. this is one of the best games ive played in a while definelty a must play for ps3 owners hell its good enough that i want to see all possible outcomes. so glad i avoided any and all spoilers for it.[/QUOTE]
207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

[quote name='asthmatic']anybody try this with the move? I havent started the game, but I would like to purchase the move if it makes the enriches the game play.[/QUOTE]

It did for me. Moving your arms around brings you more into the experience than twiddling your thumbs.

[quote name='Jodou']
207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg
[/QUOTE]

im very serious. i can see why some people dont like the game its definelty not for everyone and the way you move the character around sucks but the game is awesome and ill probably go for the platinum. i finished on my first run through with over 50 percent of the trophies shouldnt take too long to get them all.

its not hard to believe that story was amazing. after you get past the first 3 chapters its hard to stop. if that game was a movie it would have dominated the box office.

bread's done
Back