Heavy Rain Discussion Thread

Thanks for trying to save us, Soodmeg.

[quote name='SEH']You don't have to hold it, but walking feels much more accurate if you do.[/QUOTE]
My friend was playing the demothat way and it lead to more twitchy movement as he kept trying to correct his direction because of it.

I have to say, after all of the build up and anticipation over the last couple of years, I was very glad to find the demo did not disappoint me. I can see how this game will require some patience at first, and naturally, being essentially what I'll call a true "interactive fiction" piece, there will be a lot more watching than actual "playing" of the "game"... but... all that aside, I found the ways the developers try to draw you into the story really worked well. I especially like the thought bubble system - it's there if you want it, but doesn't appear to be "required reading", so to speak - but it's the sort of thing that wifey will enjoy bugging me about as we go through the story (oh hon, check to see if there are any new thoughts!). I also really liked the crime scene investigation tool - it's a borrowed / refined mechanic from other games, but blends in nicely with the mood of the story.

I'm actually pondering a release day buy on this one - and now that I see that there is bonus content available from GS... hmm... will I even pay tax!?!? This has to be good for me to even consider that! ;)

[quote name='MSUHitman']
Has anyone gotten anything significant from the lady in the first scene of the demo? The first time I got to the (x) pay (o) guilt options I went with pay and she blew me off. The second time I went with guilt and she talked to me and I got to ask about 6 questions before the buzzer went off. Just curious if I should play it a third time or not.
[/QUOTE]

with the lady its best not to pay the money, just to walk over to her and start talking, if you don't pay the money, you don't have to worry about the buzzer. Seems to me like the whole scene is to build a rapport with the lady so that she can give you more information later on. The important thing is to put your card on the table. I even tried letting the guy beat up the private detective so that she would feel sorry for him... hoping she'd give him more info on the spot. Didn't work... seems like she trusts you by the end of the scene and that's the most important thing.

Heavy Rain getting motion controls?

This is a story that has been floating around for a bit (so sorry if it is posted). But this is the first time I noticed he said an announcement one way or the other could be coming in a few weeks. Not confirmation... but why even say that. From Kotaku...

PS3 exclusive Heavy Rain won't be out until February 23, but there could be an announcement regarding the game's controls in the very near future.

"If you are talking about Motion Control, this is something we initially considered for Heavy Rain," Quantic Dream boss David Cage told website Dagbladet. "The very first version of the game design was based on motion control, but it was not feasible at the time. But all the controls of the final version of Heavy Rain is still based on motion."

The game currently uses PS3 DualShock SIXAXIS controls to do things like shake a carton of orange juice. But will the PS3 exclusive title make use of Sony's new motion controls?

"I have a lot of interest in Sony's motion device and there is a good chance that we announce something about it in the coming weeks," Cage added.

The new Sony motion control was scheduled for this spring, but has since be pushed back until later this year.

The game felt real to me... like when you have to use the
R1 button for the Asthma pump
it felt like I was doing it in real life. Then with the conversations that you have, the various options made me feel like I was interviewing for real, considering the different ways you can take the conversation.

those glasses that the FBI had were nice, are those real?! It kinda felt out of place in the game.

[quote name='Thomas96']
those glasses that the FBI had were nice, are those real?! It kinda felt out of place in the game.
[/QUOTE]

It's just an easy way to give the player quick access to the same amount of skill, expertise, and knowledge that an experienced investigator like him would have (either in the field, or via forensics). Game would be pretty boring if you were having to go back to the lab every 10 minutes.

Hmm, this game seems pretty interesting but after getting some time with it I can't say I'm entertained by it o_o. Has nice graphics though

[quote name='Thomas96']The game felt real to me... like when you have to use the
R1 button for the Asthma pump
it felt like I was doing it in real life. Then with the conversations that you have, the various options made me feel like I was interviewing for real, considering the different ways you can take the conversation.

[/QUOTE]
I liked the CSI feel for that scene. The variety of characters and style for each person will probably make the game not feel so mundane.

[quote name='Nobi-Wan']I liked the CSI feel for that scene. The variety of characters and style for each person will probably make the game not feel so mundane.[/QUOTE]

Every character has a thing going for them that you need to utilize. Shelby's ability to gather info, Paige's sex appeal, Jayden's glasses, and Mars' desire to find his son. I guess every character also has a fault too, asthma, insomnia, drug addiction, and depression. Those things come into play so that none of the characters feel the same.

BTW, I just found out that Famitsu gave this game a 37/40. They've been giving out 40s like crazy the past few years so I'm not sure how lenient they've become but that's pretty impressive for a western game. That's the same score Uncharted 2 got so it's gotta count for something.

Interesting note. When I've gone to Amazon a few times of the last week or so, Heavy Rain has been higher in the top sellers than FFXIII. That's gotta be a good sign for sales, right?

Not that I'm saying it'll actually outsell FFXIII, but that has to mean some damn strong preorder strength.

[quote name='Abalistar']Interesting note. When I've gone to Amazon a few times of the last week or so, Heavy Rain has been higher in the top sellers than FFXIII. That's gotta be a good sign for sales, right?

Not that I'm saying it'll actually outsell FFXIII, but that has to mean some damn strong preorder strength.[/QUOTE]

I think Heavy Rain should sell pretty well. It has a 90 on metacritic, plus there's been a lot of hype for it recently. Hopefully sony will start marketing it a little bit more in this last week before release.

If it sells at least 500k copies, it should be considered a success, and I don't think it'll have any problems hitting that mark.

8-12 depending on how much time you take in a scene.

It's possible to rush through it, but I suspect first play throughs for people who like these kind of games will involve a lot of exploring or experimenting.

I heard it was about that much. But with this game, I will definitely be doing multiple playthroughs to try different things. Watched a video of someone else playing the demo and was surprised by how different they did things and what all happened.

[quote name='Thomas96']I still haven't opened Indigo Prophecy... wonder if I should give it a try.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you should. IP is a great game.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']If you ignore the last half or so.[/QUOTE]

But if you include it, it somehow makes IP a bad game? Look, I didn't like the final parts of IP either but it's not like it ruined the whole game.

[quote name='Vinny']But if you include it, it somehow makes IP a bad game? Look, I didn't like the final parts of IP either but it's not like it ruined the whole game.[/QUOTE]
I agree. I never understood all the hate that game gets for it. It's only like the last hour or so that's not as good as the rest of the game. I didn't even think the ending was all that terrible. Just rushed

[quote name='AndrewsAwesome4']IF YOU LIKED IT YOUR WELCOME : ) BTW HEAVY RAIN IS CURRENTLY ONLY 54.96 ON AMAZON[/QUOTE]

Did it go down a dollar since I last checked? Or has it always been that price? I was hoping a better deal would pop up somewhere but so far no dice, as of now amazon is the best deal people are gonna get for this game, if you include the free DLC preorder.

It went down a dollar. It's still showing as $55.96 in my order, so it's a fairly recent thing. Pretty sure it was $55.96 when I looked at it yesterday. If only this game had gotten a $10 credit. :drool:

[quote name='Thomas96']I still haven't opened Indigo Prophecy... wonder if I should give it a try.[/QUOTE]

You have a sealed copy? If you do have a sealed copy, sell it! If it's the PS2 copy, it's worth a ton of $$$. Sell it, take that money and buy a used one, then play it.. because it's a great game.

Does Heavy Rain have a origami-folding guide in the game? There's a laminated sheet of paper that comes with the game, but I don't remember if that was confirmed or not since the manual doesn't mention how to fold it properly. I guess I can check when I will play it in a bit, but Lost is calling me and I don't want interruptions if I can help it.

Also, there's a bit in the manual about the FBI's ARI technology and
it's an article about a leaked document that provides proof that the FBI has and uses this technology out in the field as a hidden guide on how to use it in the game. So there's kind of some backstory to the technology without having started the game up yet.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Does Heavy Rain have a origami-folding guide in the game? There's a laminated sheet of paper that comes with the game, but I don't remember if that was confirmed or not since the manual doesn't mention how to fold it properly. I guess I can check when I will play it in a bit, but Lost is calling me and I don't want interruptions if I can help it.

Also, there's a bit in the manual about the FBI's ARI technology and
it's an article about a leaked document that provides proof that the FBI has and uses this technology out in the field as a hidden guide on how to use it in the game. So there's kind of some backstory to the technology without having started the game up yet.
[/QUOTE]

The origami folding guide is shown during the initial install, or so I've heard.

If I recall correctly, Indigo Prophecy was rushed due to Atari's financial troubles. The end of that game was the best example of rushed development I've seen. Doesn't change that it was a remarkable game though.

[quote name='Interstella 5555']Did it go down a dollar since I last checked? Or has it always been that price? I was hoping a better deal would pop up somewhere but so far no dice, as of now amazon is the best deal people are gonna get for this game, if you include the free DLC preorder.[/QUOTE]

If GS offers the $10 off any game over $59.99 again, that's the best deal.

If you have a sealed copy I would sell it on EBay and then just download the XBox 1 version to you 360 from Microsoft for $15. It's a great game, I need to finish it sometime as well (I have an opened PS2 version.)

[quote name='Thomas96']
with the lady its best not to pay the money, just to walk over to her and start talking, if you don't pay the money, you don't have to worry about the buzzer. Seems to me like the whole scene is to build a rapport with the lady so that she can give you more information later on. The important thing is to put your card on the table. I even tried letting the guy beat up the private detective so that she would feel sorry for him... hoping she'd give him more info on the spot. Didn't work... seems like she trusts you by the end of the scene and that's the most important thing.
[/QUOTE]

I did this and she still set the timer and I only got to ask a few questions before the buzzer went off.

There were 2 prompts when I walked near her when she was sitting on the bed. One was straight down on the right stick and the other was a half circle on the right stick. Which one is to offer her a tissue and which is to try to put the moves on her?

I can confirm the origami tutorial happens during the install and it went well despite the instructions almost messing me up at one point. It uses one point of reference for one step that doesn't result in what's shown for the next step with the three main visual marks on the corners, so I was glad that it worked out at the end to look perfect. I'd post a picture, but my camera's rejecting the batteries I have around me, so maybe later tonight.

Maybe this is caused by something in my set-up, but I've had a few visual issues that have soured the first section of the game a bit. There was a lot of framerate issues where animations weren't smooth at all at times, which sucks during some of the bigger things I've done so far. Then there was a bit of flickering on HUD text and the bit of the first character's hair that's on his forehead along with some audio cracks a couple of times. When I quit back to the main menu, the text flickering was still there, so it wasn't intentional at all. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to fix it or if this is something a launch day patch will fix, so I'll see what I can find out about this.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I can confirm the origami tutorial happens during the install and it went well despite the instructions almost messing me up at one point. It uses one point of reference for one step that doesn't result in what's shown for the next step with the three main visual marks on the corners, so I was glad that it worked out at the end to look perfect. I'd post a picture, but my camera's rejecting the batteries I have around me, so maybe later tonight.[/QUOTE]

Your camera is a picky eater, and I must say, I'm just a tiny bit jealous. A TINY BIT.

Demo talk
When playing the demo as Shelby, the woman asked me what I wanted to know. Just to see what would happen, I didn't say anything. She asked me if I was deaf. But I stood silently strong against her insults. She then started swearing and screaming at me and told me to get out of her house. She certainly didn't earn her fifty dollars.

[quote name='Vinny']But if you include it, it somehow makes IP a bad game? Look, I didn't like the final parts of IP either but it's not like it ruined the whole game.[/QUOTE]
I didn't say that. The game had great ideas and the first half or so was excellent. But you simply can't ignore the total horseshit that was the second half or so. I think it really started to go downhill when
when you're in the office building you work in and the "bugs" are invading. Really shitty scene that sets the tone for the rest of the bullshit you have to deal with later on.

[quote name='MSUHitman']If you have a sealed copy I would sell it on EBay and then just download the XBox 1 version to you 360 from Microsoft for $15. It's a great game, I need to finish it sometime as well (I have an opened PS2 version.)[/QUOTE]
Does the PS2 version of Indigo Prophecy work on the PS3 now? I remember it was having a freeze problem, was it fixed in an update to the PS3. I have the 60 gb one.

If Blockbuster wasn't so shitty and overpriced, I'd be tempted to give them a call. As it stands though, I'd rather not pay $10+ just to rent the game for four days.

[quote name='SEH']If Blockbuster wasn't so shitty and overpriced, I'd be tempted to give them a call. As it stands though, I'd rather not pay $10+ just to rent the game for four days.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this. I'll wait until next week to finally sink into this game.

[quote name='ohram']I certainly hope not. I'm already preparing to drop off the internet the closer the game gets to release, but I won't be prepared if spoilers start popping up a whole week early.[/QUOTE]
You should now. It comes out in Japan tomorrow (or technically today).

[quote name='FierceDeityLink1']You should now. It comes out in Japan tomorrow (or technically today).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the warning. Looks like I'll be playing Shenmue for the next week. Adios everybody!

[quote name='ohram']I certainly hope not. I'm already preparing to drop off the internet the closer the game gets to release, but I won't be prepared if spoilers start popping up a whole week early.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Everyone here remember to use them there spoiler tags.... I'm guessing I won't be checking any Heavy Rain stuff until I beat it.

[quote name='mickeyp']Does the PS2 version of Indigo Prophecy work on the PS3 now? I remember it was having a freeze problem, was it fixed in an update to the PS3. I have the 60 gb one.[/QUOTE]

Fixed as of firmware 2.20.

Also is this street dated for the 23rd, or will it ship on the 23rd and be instore on the 24th?

[quote name='MSUHitman']Fixed as of firmware 2.20.

Also is this street dated for the 23rd, or will it ship on the 23rd and be instore on the 24th?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure it should be in store on the 23rd since amazon lists ship date as the 22nd.

But the story linked above talked about Blockbuster breaking street date, so that means it has to ship sometime THIS week I would imagine if there's a street date.

I've officially preordered and will be playing this on release day with a group of friends! Can't wait, and probably won't be visiting this thread to avoid and chance of spoilers!

bread's done
Back