Heavy Rain Discussion Thread

[quote name='Dead of Knight']This sounds fucking ridiculous. If Soodmeg is not exaggerating, which he probably is since it's Soodmeg, how the fuck can you people like this game?[/QUOTE]

Its not nearly as bad as he makes it out to seem, to normal people anyway.

[quote name='Soodmeg']In one scene, you can either shoot a guy or talk him down. I accidentally shot the guy within the first 2 seconds of being given the choice. Now I was planning on talking him down but the game plastered 5 words and a button combo on screen, all shaking violently and flying in a circle. Seeing as the game has conditioned me to not actually watch a cutscene but instead look for QTE I though it wanted me to press R1 instantly like every other damn scene in the game.

Now how the hell am I suppose to know that R1 was the button that pulls the trigger? It was simply one of the many buttons flying around screen at the time. [/quote]

Well, when the game wants you to press a button quickly, the icon is different. There's a meter that fills up behind the button icon. Secondly, if you haven't noticed, a lot of times the buttons correspond to a special movement, and usually these button icons are located in close proximity to what they accomplish. The R1 icon was on top of the gun.
Earlier in the game, when you're investigating the crime scene and you climb the muddy hill, the button icons that correspond to leg movements are next to your legs. Oh, and on my second play through, I chose not to shoot the guy, but I felt more satisfied the first time, when I did shoot him.
My eyes are not that great but even when pressing L2 to see my thoughts I am usually guessing (actually I always go triangle, O, X, square in that order) at what face button is on the screen at the time because I cant read it as its flying around.

Seems like you need to get your eyes checked and actually pay attention to what's going on, rather than just guessing.

Ok, I have to ask. Very early spoilers but I want to know what everyone did.

So how did you cut your finger off?

I grabbed, the flask, what looked like a butcher knife, a hatchet, a pipe, a piece of glass and set them all on the desk.

The I got drunk apparently and lobbed it off with the hatchet. Why I picked up the other stuff I dont know...I was thnought the more the merrier. :lol:

[quote name='Saint Noir']Well, Jodou,
YOU know, but the character doesn't know who knows, if that makes sense. Jayden specifically says he (the cop that is near the gas station) has a warehouse property in his name... he says it is a long shot but it is all he has to try to find Shaun. The cops themselves just tracked Ethan's stolen taxi, is my theory on how my play went. He prolly drove like a mad man after the poison and got noticed by any number of people.
[/QUOTE]
OK, that's what I missed; must've been an ADD moment because I don't remember him saying that at all.
Makes sense because the big reveal was very unsatisfying and by that time I was just ready for the game to end, since I was quickly losing interest. It would have been a much better surprise if Shelby was finally revealed after Ethan rescues Shaun IMO. The way they reveal him is awful and just confusing at first. The only reason Cage did it was because they had to tie Madison into the ending somehow.

Leave it to a woman to spoil the ending! ;)

[quote name='Soodmeg']Ok, I have to ask. Very early spoilers but I want to know what everyone did.

I grabbed, the flask, what looked like a butcher knife, a hatchet, a pipe, a piece of glass and set them all on the desk.

The I got drunk apparently and lobbed it off with the hatchet. Why I picked up the other stuff I dont know...I was thnought the more the merrier. :lol:
[/QUOTE]

I picked up everything I could find. I took a couple swigs of the alcohol, but I don't think I got drunk. I used the snips to cut off the finger, then disinfected it. I was hoping to cauterize it to, but I didn't have that option even though I heated up the piece of metal.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Ok, I have to ask. Very early spoilers but I want to know what everyone did.

[/QUOTE]
I just hacked it with a butcher's knife and then poured disinfectant on it. I was planning to cauterize the wound afterward, but I guess you're only allowed to use one or the other. You get a trophy for tending the wound called Gold Finger, BTW.

[quote name='Brownjohn']Its not nearly as bad as he makes it out to seem, to normal people anyway.[/QUOTE]

As I implied, Soodmeg isn't a normal person. I dunno, I'm still on the fence on this one. Guess I should at least download the demo.

And here it comes. Now is this going to turn into a Vs Soodmeg thread? If you like the game fine...is it going to bother you that much that I dont like certain aspects of it?

As much as I joke I dont think I am so important around CAG that my opinion of a game needs 10 people to bash/defend a game. I have statement a thousand times that I was not nor am not trying to change anyones opinion of the game so why do you always treat me like I have some type of influence of people buying this game? I dont know why some of you feel you have to defend a game against me.

Is it as bad as I made it seem? Probably not but its still my opinion. It has noting to do with my eyes are paying attention or any of the other crap that you guys say.

Heavy Rain = Donnie Darko. You either love it or there is something personally wrong with you, whether you dont get it, you suck at it, I rs idiot.

By the way the most surprising thing about this whole thread is that DoK doesnt have me on ignore!

[quote name='Brownjohn']
I picked up everything I could find. I took a couple swigs of the alcohol, but I don't think I got drunk. I used the snips to cut off the finger, then disinfected it. I was hoping to cauterize it to, but I didn't have that option even though I heated up the piece of metal.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Jodou']
I just hacked it with a butcher's knife and then poured disinfectant on it. I was planning to cauterize the wound afterward, but I guess you're only allowed to use one or the other. You get a trophy for tending the wound called Gold Finger, BTW.
[/QUOTE]

BAH! I didnt even think to do that! I just kept drinking until it wouldnt give me the option anymore. Then did the deed and it switched. I wonder what the small piece of glass is for then?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']As I implied, Soodmeg isn't a normal person. I dunno, I'm still on the fence on this one. Guess I should at least download the demo.[/QUOTE]

I am not normal? How do you figure that? I am as normal as Casual Friday.

[quote name='Soodmeg']

As far a being challenging? Nope that's like saying nascar drivers would be more challenged if they drove with blind folds.[/QUOTE]

But Nascar drivers would be more challenged if they drove with blind folds.

DoK, I think you should pick it up. Its one of the few games that are actually worth playing through just on hype alone. Whether you like it or not its still a new format that deserves some time put into it.

I mean, what else are you going to play? COD? There is like 10 of those, god of war 15?

I just realized that you weren't even talking about the tricky part at the end of that apartment face-off. I never had a problem not hitting r1 because, for one if you take 2 seconds you can read your thoughts, and R1 had never ever been used in a conversation before.

BTW, to plat this game you need to see all 22 endings. Now that sounds like a lot but it's actually divided between the four main characters, two of which only have three each. Just be sure you make the appropriate changes needed but it's still a bitch. Here's an endings guide to help.

I really hate pointless trophies like this. -_-

[/QUOTE]

I...
gathered everything up and decided to use the hatchet and then cauterized with hot iron. No point in disinfecting if you are going the cauterize route.

I'm enjoying myself so far but the beginning is definitely a bit slow. Not a whole lot of suspense so far. The scene in the mall was intense, though.

[quote name='Fjordson']I'm enjoying myself so far but the beginning is definitely a bit slow. Not a whole lot of suspense so far. The scene in the mall was intense, though.[/QUOTE]

After the mall is when the game basically starts. Everything before that is an introduction to the controls and whatnot.

Quick question, in order to achieve trophies, do you need to replay through the entire game or can you choose individual chapters to get some of the choice specific ones? I'd assume you could just choose chapters, but you never know.

[quote name='SEH']After the mall is when the game basically starts. Everything before that is an introduction to the controls and whatnot.

Quick question, in order to achieve trophies, do you need to replay through the entire game or can you choose individual chapters to get some of the choice specific ones? I'd assume you could just choose chapters, but you never know.[/QUOTE]
You can just play the chapeters. I did that to get some of the early ones I missed.

You can choose chapters... don't even have to save. But there are a few trophies that require a large rewiring... I plan on getting those on a second play through.

Beaten by Bill Murray.

[quote name='Soodmeg']

[/QUOTE]

I didn't even look for all of that stuff. I was in a hurry, so I just grabbed the butcher knife, sat down, breathed in and out slowly to stop shaking so much, and then hacked away. I'll have to look for the flask next time.

[/QUOTE]

I went around and collected everything, scissors, knife, hatchet, warmed rebar, etc.

Then when it came time to do it, drink, then sterilize, then some breathing...... boom off comes the finger. Then it was time to cauterize with the rebar. It was fun times and bleeding was kept to a minimal.

Also

Was it me or did we all figure out it was Roosevelt some long before the ending? I think Ethan is a seriously thick fellow

[quote name='dwhelan']
Was it me or did we all figure out it was Roosevelt some long before the ending? I think Ethan is a seriously thick fellow
[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. You can
figure out where on your own without all the clues, if need be. This only applies to the last trial though... I think.

The game locked up on me during the Sexy Girl scenario and now my gamesave won't load.

I Googled the issue and came up with this story from The Examiner:

Many of us who have been playing Heavy Rain, have experienced the game freeze up. I have personally encountered it while investigating a scene and I was venturing out by railroad tracks. I ventured out as far as I could go and the game froze while turning me back toward the crime scene. This is causing a hard reboot of the PS3 and, of course, forcing you to go back to where it last saved.

Not only are there freezing issues, some have said that there have been cases of corrupt save files. I had started playing on one PS3 and wanted to transfer my saved file to my other PS3, so that I can play in a different room and it does not allow me to even access my saved file.

A forum thread on PlayStation's forums has been active with these issues, in which a Sony representative had to step foot in and address these concerns.

"Hi folks, this is just to let you know that the issues reported in this thread and elsewhere are being looked into."

He continues, "One word of advice we've had already is to avoid switching off your PlayStation while the game is in black screen as this may be affecting your save game. There have been a few reports of incidents where game saves have taken longer than would normally be expected - and with a black screen present it may leave the assumption that the game has crashed. In these circumstances we recommend you wait at least 5 minutes before rebooting."

By all means, these are not reasons not to purchase and enjoy the game. For those of you who enjoy forensic shows, this allows you to dive into playing the role of many involved in the crimes, from the victim to the FBI profiler to the journalist to the private investigator.

So according to the rep, we can hopefully get these problems cleared up.

I tried letting it wait in the black screen during one of my reload attempts and nothing happened, unfortunately. I think I'm screwed. :cry:

Finished the game tonight. Wow. Just wow. A great game that needs to be played by everyone with a PS3.

I'm tempted to go back through the game again just to check out the branching storylines, but it also didn't help when
I missed two button presses at the end and killed Jayden. Mother fucker.
Otherwise, I'm sure there's a few pieces of DLC coming our way, which I will gladly pay for.

Oh, an one other thing:

Where in the blue hell was that teddy bear? I felt like a douchenugget for not getting that teddy bear for Shaun.

[quote name='Regian']Finished the game tonight. Wow. Just wow. A great game that needs to be played by everyone with a PS3.

I'm tempted to go back through the game again just to check out the branching storylines, but it also didn't help when
I missed two button presses at the end and killed Jayden. Mother fucker.
Otherwise, I'm sure there's a few pieces of DLC coming our way, which I will gladly pay for.

Oh, an one other thing:

Where in the blue hell was that teddy bear? I felt like a douchenugget for not getting that teddy bear for Shaun.
[/QUOTE]

The bear is down in the laundry room, next to the kitchen.

I've got a question about an early trophy (spoiler tagged just to be safe).

Anyone know how to get the "Happy Birthday" trophy? I've done what it says online. I complete the drawing, set the table, and play with Shaun and Jason, yet I don't get a trophy. I've done it three times now and it never works. What am I missing?

Has anybody started their games on a previous chapter after beating the game and selected the save option? I was wondering if this totally overwrites anything I did ahead of the chapter I'm replaying.
I ask because I'm trying to get all the different endings and they are supposed to show up in the chapter select screen and the newer ones I've unlocked haven't shown up and the only reason I can think of is that I picked do not save.

[quote name='sotc1988']Has anybody started their games on a previous chapter after beating the game and selected the save option? I was wondering if this totally overwrites anything I did ahead of the chapter I'm replaying.
I ask because I'm trying to get all the different endings and they are supposed to show up in the chapter select screen and the newer ones I've unlocked haven't shown up and the only reason I can think of is that I picked do not save.[/QUOTE]

I am not entirely sure but I believe you have to replay all of the chapters from that point on. It might be character specific chapters though. Like if you beat the game with Madison being killed from the doctor. I am going to guess that you have to replay that level, and replay all of her other levels and including the final level to get an ending with her alive.

I just cant picture Quantic Dreams forcing people to play the game x amount of times the full way through to get specific endings. Maybe I am wrong though.

I finished the game and found I was too tired of it to play through it a second time, anybody else feel that way. Well maybe I'll try again in the future.

[quote name='wildcpac']
I am not entirely sure but I believe you have to replay all of the chapters from that point on. It might be character specific chapters though. Like if you beat the game with Madison being killed from the doctor. I am going to guess that you have to replay that level, and replay all of her other levels and including the final level to get an ending with her alive.

I just cant picture Quantic Dreams forcing people to play the game x amount of times the full way through to get specific endings. Maybe I am wrong though.
[/QUOTE]
thats a good point, wonder if its true

[quote name='SEH']I've got a question about an early trophy (spoiler tagged just to be safe).

Anyone know how to get the "Happy Birthday" trophy? I've done what it says online. I complete the drawing, set the table, and play with Shaun and Jason, yet I don't get a trophy. I've done it three times now and it never works. What am I missing?
[/QUOTE]

You have to....
complete the drawing... this takes a long time and you may not have finished it. Ethan will say he is done when you check.... after you put the pencil down you have to pick up several other tools several times... then you set the table.. then you play with your kids... it will pop AFTER the mall sequence.

[quote name='Saint Noir']You have to....
complete the drawing... this takes a long time and you may not have finished it. Ethan will say he is done when you check.... after you put the pencil down you have to pick up several other tools several times... then you set the table.. then you play with your kids... it will pop AFTER the mall sequence.
[/QUOTE]

I totally finished the drawing. I used the pencil, the eraser, and the marker or whatever to shade. Once I was done, I could no longer push the stick down to pick anything up.

Started again at the point where my first playthrough went.... sour, which was the shark trial. I wouldn't kill the guy, and it was all downhill from there, Ethan died due to poison, Madison died in the explosion and Shaun obviously died. In the 2nd playthrough I got the real ending and all I can say is wow, powerful stuff, amazing game. A few consistancy issues aside, and I'd say this is competing with ME2 for my GOTY so far.

[quote name='drbutchevil']
Started again at the point where my first playthrough went.... sour, which was the shark trial. I wouldn't kill the guy, and it was all downhill from there, Ethan died due to poison, Madison died in the explosion and Shaun obviously died. In the 2nd playthrough I got the real ending and all I can say is wow, powerful stuff, amazing game. A few consistancy issues aside, and I'd say this is competing with ME2 for my GOTY so far.
[/QUOTE]
I guess I got lucky! I didn't kill the shark and the poison didn't kill Ethan. In the end everyone lived except the bad killer paper mon. I got the buble gum candy cloud version lol. I want to play it again and do everything different but I fell like it would spoil it for some reason.

I just finished the game, got a good ending, one question about Jayden's portion of the ending
Are the digital tanks he sees due to overuse of the ARI glasses?

I'll post my complete thoughts on everything another time, but the short version: I thought it was phenomenal.

While I believe the majority of the voice acting was more than adequate, some spots were iffy, and the absolute worst has to be
scott's voice as a child with the ridiculously french accent, haha

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lethalgorman']I finished the game and found I was too tired of it to play through it a second time, anybody else feel that way. Well maybe I'll try again in the future.[/QUOTE]

I feel this way too. I actually would love to see all the endings and different paths to take but I think I rather have my friends play it and watch them. I do love the game though, one of the best games that I have played this year. FFXIII, GoW3, and SSFIV in less than 2 months, 2010 looks great so far.

[quote name='fizzywix']While I believe the majority of the voice acting was more than adequate, some spots were iffy, and the absolute worst has to be
[/QUOTE]
Sounded Russian to me, actually.

I guess I am one of the few people that thought the ending was terrible. Despite some of the game's flaws in its execution, I was loving the game up until the the killer's identity was revealed. I have a lot of problems with the identity of the killer and how it fit with the story that I experienced, and those problems spoiled my mood during the ending of the game. I should of been loving the game like I was during previous chapters, but I loathed the identity of the killer and how it was presented in the game. These problems also opened my eyes to other problems with the story — some of the writing was awful and there were too many plot holes.

Phew. Got the black screen but after leaving it alone for ten minutes and then re-booting, everything was fine. Man this game has glitches.

[quote name='fizzywix']
While I believe the majority of the voice acting was more than adequate, some spots were iffy, and the absolute worst has to be
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I saw some of the previews with the "English" voice actors and decided French with English subtitles was the best solution.

[quote name='lethalgorman']the game was different, and thats good, but I don't think it should have gotten a 9.5[/QUOTE]

I think it deserve the 9.5. Or may be this is just my first interactive drama type of game and I think they did a great job on the story telling beside the stupid freezing glitch >.

one of the best games I ever played in my life or shall I say experiences.

anway with that out the way. I got 2 different endings so far. the first was with everyone alive at the end except norman pushing the killer off the loader and one with ethan and norman dying at the end, madison signing books, and lauren getting her revenge

you know with the first ending I got I don't see any plotholes in the story except one with madison knowing who scott shelby is, they never met in the game so I can only assume they had a past of some sort together

I was spoiled with who the killer was actually right before madison hears his name from his mom in the hospital so It did let me down but in the end it gave me time to reflect more on the story and notice little things

great game and I give this game a perfect 10 and since I spoiled the name of the killer for myself I am going to make sure I don't spoil any of the dlc that comes out for this game.

question for everyone though who got the four heroes trophy how do you get shelby to stay alive at the end? I tried to save him and I still ended up having to kill him with norman, imma send norman after blake next time and hopefully madison will fight the killer for me this time

Meh 9.5, 5.5 doesn't really matter to me. This is why review scores are pointless. It's all subjective to the reviewer. Many would say Halo doesn't deserve more than 6.0, other think it's straight 10's.

Like any game some like it, some don't. Although this game is certainly a unique case being what it is.

one of the best games I ever played in my life or shall I say experiences.

anway with that out the way.
I got 2 different endings so far. the first was with everyone alive at the end except norman pushing the killer off the loader and one with ethan and norman dying at the end, madison signing books, and lauren getting her revenge

you know with the first ending I got I don't see any plotholes in the story except one
with madison knowing who scott shelby is, they never met in the game so I can only assume they had a past of some sort together

I was spoiled with who the killer was actually right before
madison hears his name from his mom in the hospital so It did let me down but in the end it gave me time to reflect more on the story and notice little things

great game and I give this game a perfect 10 and since I spoiled the name of the killer for myself I am going to make sure I don't spoil any of the dlc that comes out for this game.

question for everyone though who got the four heroes trophy
how do you get shelby to stay alive at the end? I tried to save him and I still ended up having to kill him with norman, imma send norman after blake next time and hopefully madison will fight the killer for me this time

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']question for everyone though who got the four heroes trophy
how do you get shelby to stay alive at the end? I tried to save him and I still ended up having to kill him with norman, imma send norman after blake next time and hopefully madison will fight the killer for me this time
[/QUOTE]

Yeah...
Shelby dies, Norman, Ethan, Madison, and Shaun will be your 4 alive people for the 4 heroes trophy.

bread's done
Back