*HOT* Ship FIRST-CLASS & MEDIA-MAIL USPS for no monthly fee

hotwls13

CAGiversary!
Feedback
89 (100%)
I'm not sure if this is where to post this but here goes.

I got this from Slickdeals. Thanks davidwlam!

*HOT* Ship FIRST-CLASS & MEDIA-MAIL USPS for no monthly fee

So How do I ship using Pitney Bowes for FREE????

Simple....you probably have a Paypal account right? If so you've probably used their shipping when you sell stuff. But what about those outside-of-eBay-or-paypal purchases?? (Like ones on half.com or Amazon.com?).

Its quite simple. Using your Paypal Account all you have to do is log in, and use this link: Linky

If you aren't particularly computer-saavy, you are probably wonder why this allows you to ship stuff without having received a payment. Simple...if you click the "ship" button in your account, you'll notice this exact link, but with a &info=somecrazymessofletters&numbers. That &info is the pre-filled out form information that allows it to fill out the address for you. By removing it, it simply doesn't fill it out and allows you to fill it out manually.

It works perfectly and bills through your paypal account. You can select it to take the payment from your paypal balance, a credit card or a bank account (if you are trustworthy enough to add one).

Pro's & Con's to this "Free" way of shipping

PRO:
1: Now you can ship all of your First-Class and Media-Mail stuff WITHOUT HAVING TO PAY SOME NONSENSE MONTHLY FEE!
2: You don't have to use USPS.com's confusing & chaotic website to ship Priority Mail & Express Mail
3: Easy-to-use Paypal interface doesn't require special software or sticker-labels. Just shove a peice of paper in your printer and it prints fine, no issues!
4: You don't have to go to the PO and wait in line on your Lunch Hour!

NEUTRAL (could be a pro or con, depends on you):
1: You HAVE to pay a $.13 delivery confirmation fee for First-class & Media-Mail, its required. In my eyes, this is a benefit since I would purchase it anyways from the post office. You never know what kind of people try to BS you and say they never received the item you shipped them. Thus using delivery confirmation can prevent someone from defrauding you. At the US Post Office it costs 55 cents to buy delivery confirmation for media mail or first-class mail, so 13 cents is a real savings!

CON:
1: You can't ship to Canada, UK, etc, only within the United States
unless you ship WITH UPS SHIPPING This means you'll still have to wait in line at the post office when you have to ship outside of the US.

Edit seems you can now ship international!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you can put these in a regular mail box if its only under 13 oz?

i see all the stickers are on the outside, but was wondering if anyone mailed anything bigger without getting it returned

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']So I can drop off bubble mailer items in the big blue USPS drop boxes right?[/quote]
Yes, I always do.

Though today I had to mail some things (they were boxes >13oz) and the mail lady said since the rate change they now have to scan all click and ship items.
So I asked if we can't put things under 13 oz in the drop box anymore, she said no.
I pushed the subject a little, saying the last time I was in they said we couldn't just leave postage paid packages on the counter and not wait in line (they used to allow us to do that) and I thought it was just for things higher than 13 oz.
Then she said that if I did put something in the drop box they'd still scan it, but I got the feeling she really didn't have an exact answer for me.:roll:

The only way I'll stop putting stuff under 13 oz in the drop boxes is if they start coming back to me.

[quote name='NegativeZero']I guess my problem is the title (its a bit misleading "Ship FIRST-CLASS & MEDIA-MAIL USPS for no monthly fee")

Since it only mentions 1st class and media mail does that necessarily mean that you cannot ship priority? The title seems to limit the options of shipping while the actual shipping options provided may include all methods. I am just trying to get a better understanding[/QUOTE]

I know this is months old, but you can print priority or express for free (postage costs only) with DC from USPS.com with no special software, it just prints a PDF label on regular paper that you tape onto the package. You can also have them send you free priority boxes and envelopes (to be used only for priority shipping).
I try to sell things priority when possible, I use USPS packaging and the totally legit USPS shipping label, rather than the "does paypal care?" first class. Obviously Goozex stuff I don't ship priority.

I hadn't heard that about the drop box. What's the difference between dropping it in the drop box and leaving it in your mailbox?

Pay for it now, when you set it up, it asks you what date you will be mailing it (I think it only lets you go a few days in the future). Just change the date to match the day you will give it to the PO. I routinely print a label on Saturday and prepare the package, dated for Monday pickup.
I either put mine in my mailbox or I'll take it to work and drop it in our outgoing basket there. Sometimes I'll drop it in the blue boxes.

I have a package I'm sending out for Goozex, and the address was a two parter that looked like this:

FIRST NAME LAST NAME
RR. # Box ####
### N.E. ##th Avenue
City, State ZIP

But on the shipping label it only has:

FIRST NAME LAST NAME
RR. # Box ####
City, State ZIP

Without that second address line...

Can I just write it in below the City, State ZIP or does that not fly with the USPS?

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']I got a message saying that PayPal shipping was not available.[/quote]
Seems to be working now.
Paypal does occasionally take it down for maintenance from time to time.

[quote name='mguiddy']Seems to be working now.
Paypal does occasionally take it down for maintenance from time to time.[/quote]

It still doesn't work for me, when I click on "Pay and Continue" I get the following...

We are not able to generate your label at this time. Your PayPal account was not charged. Please try again later.

• PayPal Shipping is not available. We apologize for the inconvenience.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']It still doesn't work for me, when I click on "Pay and Continue" I get the following...

[/quote]
:oops:
My bad, I didn't actually try to print a label, I just went to the site. Most of the time when it's down it's completely down.
That is the message they put up when they are doing maintenance though.

Well, I printed out my first two labels today, seems easy enough, I'll start using this more often, plus, saving some on the DC.

Does anyone think the reason for me keeping getting errors when I try to pay for my order is because I have no printer hookup?

I don't see how that would be a problem, but I don't see any other reason why I would keep getting error messages when other people can get theirs paid for no problem.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']Does anyone think the reason for me keeping getting errors when I try to pay for my order is because I have no printer hookup?

I don't see how that would be a problem, but I don't see any other reason why I would keep getting error messages when other people can get theirs paid for no problem.[/QUOTE]

It shouldnt, but...how are you going to print your label out once you pay for it?

For me, after I pay, it brings me to a "Your Label Should Now Be Printing" screen, but it never does, so I have to hit the "reprint your label" link.

[quote name='Link927']It shouldnt, but...how are you going to print your label out once you pay for it?
[/quote]

I would go to my library and print them, I just wanted to do everything else on my computer and print them elsewhere since I don't have a printer.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']Does anyone think the reason for me keeping getting errors when I try to pay for my order is because I have no printer hookup?[/quote]

That's definitely not the reason b/c sometimes I use a computer without a printer and save the label as a pdf file to print out for later. What does the error specifically say? I've received an error for Paypal shipping before, but it was easily solved. I had to edit the address to match the version that USPS had in their database instead of using the one that was given to me by the addressee.

Where can I get the FedEx adhesive labels? I'm trying to check the site, but I can't find it.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it. You need an account at FedEx. A credit card is required to make one, but you don't get charged.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JohnnyDrama']Is there a place that have adhesive shipping labels for USPS shipping?[/quote]

I would just use the UPS/FedEx labels and cut off their respective logos before applying to shipments.

I use regular paper and tape the edges (don't cover the postage marking.)
I think the only errors I've had have been when the address wasn't in the proper format.
Do you have a popup blocker installed?

[quote name='dtcarson']I use regular paper and tape the edges (don't cover the postage marking.)
I think the only errors I've had have been when the address wasn't in the proper format.
Do you have a popup blocker installed?[/quote]

I fully tape over everything on the label (with clear packaging tape) and haven't ever had problems.

[quote name='mguiddy']I fully tape over everything on the label (with clear packaging tape) and haven't ever had problems.[/QUOTE]

If you put clear tape over the DC# barcode, then it won't scan. The postal carrier has to manually input the number in. It's best to not put tape over it because if you get a lazy carrier then he/she could decide not to manually enter the DC# if they don't feel like it.

[quote name='Vinny']If you put clear tape over the DC# barcode, then it won't scan. The postal carrier has to manually input the number in. It's best to not put tape over it because if you get a lazy carrier then he/she could decide not to manually enter the DC# if they don't feel like it.[/quote]
They've never had an issue scanning it when I take it in.

[quote name='mguiddy']They've never had an issue scanning it when I take it in.[/QUOTE]

They scan your's in? WTF, mine says that they can't scan them in... they only scan them as they're processed and leave the PO.

That's weird, whenever I get a delivery (at my apartment, they don't scan it until you answer the door so that they know you got the package) with the barcode taped up the carrier manually enters it. Maybe our POs have old scanners or something..

[quote name='Vinny']They scan your's in? WTF, mine says that they can't scan them in... they only scan them as they're processed and leave the PO.

That's weird, whenever I get a delivery (at my apartment, they don't scan it until you answer the door so that they know you got the package) with the barcode taped up the carrier manually enters it. Maybe our POs have old scanners or something..[/quote]
Yeah, ever since the last postage increase they (that is, my local PO) started scanning my packages when I have to take them inside.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']They do warn you not to tape over the barcode, so I always assumed that it wouldn't scan if you did.[/quote]

I always figured the "Don't tape over barcode" warning was like the warning to turn off your engine before changing fan belt... that is to prevent people from using translucent/opaque tape.

Is it just me? Or are the labels printing larger?
I noticed the larger label print out 9/1 and do not care for the fact it requires more ink...:cry:

I have a question people. I resell a lot of games online at various places, and was wondering if the weight of the package has to be exact? I've noticed from shipping receipts that nothing I have sold before has been over 7 oz., so do I need to enter an exact weight on this page or can I just put 7 oz. as a safe bet and everything will be fine?

[quote name='Cable387']I have a question people. I resell a lot of games online at various places, and was wondering if the weight of the package has to be exact? I've noticed from shipping receipts that nothing I have sold before has been over 7 oz., so do I need to enter an exact weight on this page or can I just put 7 oz. as a safe bet and everything will be fine?[/quote]As long as you're over the weight of the package, you'll be OK. If you underguess the weight, it'll come back to you postage due, or you'd need to have it checked when you drop it off as the PO. If they find it's heavier than you claim, they can add additional postage to it, and you'd just pay the difference.

If you overguess it, you're wasting money. Only first class is picky down to the ounce for cost, priority mail is done in half-pound increments and media mail is done in one pound increments.

i use paypal multiship and I NEVER pay for DC. It's always free.

Been using it for years that way. Log in to paypal and look for multiship on the left.

Thriftstores often have scales in the kitchen utensils/crap section for a couple bucks...and PARCEL POST is always the best bet if your package is over 12 ounces.

Also...if you go to the post office they will not tell you about Parcel Post. You have to ask specifically for Parcel Post. ***gurrrr

[quote name='lambandmartyr']Thriftstores often have scales in the kitchen utensils/crap section for a couple bucks...and PARCEL POST is always the best bet if your package is over 12 ounces.

Also...if you go to the post office they will not tell you about Parcel Post. You have to ask specifically for Parcel Post. ***gurrrr[/quote]
Not always... I just mailed something the other day that was 2 lb 3 oz, Priority was 30 cents cheaper.

[quote name='mguiddy']Not always... I just mailed something the other day that was 2 lb 3 oz, Priority was 30 cents cheaper.[/quote]

Well whip me with a wet noodle and call me seymour. :lol:

I got just $5.18 for parcel, $ 4.86 for my own box and $9.18 for priority flat rate on Paypal shipping...with free DC for that weight. But what do I know I am old and in my PJ's and still wearing my damn bunnies beanie...

Thanks I learned a trick...

It still urks me thats they have those quirks online and even more so that they won't sell you Parcel Post at the Post Office unless you ask, when sometimes it saves a lot of money.

So, let me ask a question here. I never printed the labels online or anything, but it seems better than waiting in line for 15-20 minutes at my local post office(which, coincidentally is right down the street). All I have to do is print the postage from PayPal, tape it onto the package and drop it by my local post office? Do I have to hand the people working there the package or can I just drop it off outside?

I've printed off first class and and media mail and left them in my mailbox or the outgoing mail at work.
The only time I had an issue was when I had something big (game strategy guide) shipped media mail; I dropped that at the outgoing mail at work, and I was told I had to hand it over the counter to an employee.
First Class is generally a bit cheaper for one game.
Even if priority is a little more than Parcel Post for something bigger, I'd use Priority--faster, free DC (online purchase) and they will supply the boxes (though not the inner packing.)

[quote name='DarkRider23']So, let me ask a question here. I never printed the labels online or anything, but it seems better than waiting in line for 15-20 minutes at my local post office(which, coincidentally is right down the street). All I have to do is print the postage from PayPal, tape it onto the package and drop it by my local post office? Do I have to hand the people working there the package or can I just drop it off outside?[/quote]You can just hand it to any postal employee working the counter, yes. Me, I wait in line to make sure it scans for acceptance, which means it's been accepted at the counter and is in the mail stream. Normally, they do this when they ship it out to the sorting hub that handles the package, though sometimes, they don't.

First class and priority mail can be left with any postal carrier for pickup, though media mail needs to be handled at the post office counter. First class mail can also be dropped off in any mailbox, assuming the package fits into the mailbox opening.

So all I do after printing it is: tape the paper onto the package and put the package into one of these?:
mailbox.JPG

unless its media mail?

[quote name='unicron129']So all I do after printing it is: tape the paper onto the package and put the package into one of these?:

unless its media mail?[/quote]

Not sure if this is just a Florida thing, but here you can only put items under 13 ounces in any mailbox (including your own). If its more than 14 ounces the carrier cannot accept it and they will mail it back to you (or leave it if you have it in your own mailbox at home).

So as long as its 13 ounces or under, you can drop it in there. Any more and you'll have to go to a post office.

[quote name='Bezerker']Not sure if this is just a Florida thing, but here you can only put items under 13 ounces in any mailbox (including your own). If its more than 14 ounces the carrier cannot accept it and they will mail it back to you (or leave it if you have it in your own mailbox at home).

So as long as its 13 ounces or under, you can drop it in there. Any more and you'll have to go to a post office.[/quote]
I think thats everywhere.

[quote name='mguiddy']I think thats everywhere.[/quote]

That most definitely is everywhere. I just noticed those signs on the big blue mailboxes outside my post office. If they are over 13 ounces they send it right back to you

indeed, like Goozex you can ship most games with DC for around 1.80.... maybe more for multidisc games.

Just need a better scale though... been using a food scale!

[quote name='DarkRider23']That most definitely is everywhere. I just noticed those signs on the big blue mailboxes outside my post office. If they are over 13 ounces they send it right back to you[/QUOTE]

Luckily ive never had this issue i think this is a pain in the ass whats so special about you handing a package to an employee anyways

ill have to try this out. thanks!

if you want to use paypal for non ebay deals, just have a friend send you a penny CASH with paypal, then use that paypal invoice to ship packages to anybody you want. Just change the "SHIP TO:"

bread's done
Back