Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - Nobody Wants This Game To End... Ever...

As an adventure game lover, I'm totally pissed at myself for being oblivious to this game. I'd like to see more impressions from other reviewers before I buy it, but the EGM numbers are really pushing it.

[quote name='soonersfan60']This feels like Drill Dozer all over again: great Nintendo game that got little hype or publicity, developed a cult following, but dropped in price quickly and off the charts. Hotel Dusk sound like it has the first two parts... Hopefully it follows suit with the third part (dropped in price quickly) so I can get it for cheap. I want this game (but am spending too much on other titles coming out that I want also).[/quote]

Or it can go the Lost In Blue route where you'll have to be scouring on EBay to find one for under 50 bucks! I'm not taking that chance, I'll probably be buying this the first week it comes out.

[quote name='Like A Breath']Or it can go the Lost In Blue route where you'll have to be scouring on EBay to find one for under 50 bucks! I'm not taking that chance, I'll probably be buying this the first week it comes out.[/quote]
Same here I'm lucky Lost in Blue was my first DS game I bought.

Hotel Dusk:Room 215 looks great and fun I'm looking forward to it since it was announced and I'll picking this up when it's released, hopefully this sells well i'm a fan of these types of games and i'd like to see more games like this.

[quote name='Strell']He said he doesn't like adventure games. It would be like me going into a thread about the newest basketball game and saying "Yeah I don't really like basketball games in general so I'm not interested in this."

Then why in the fuck would I go into to begin with? It's not like I didn't know what the thread was about...[/QUOTE]

Trolls are trolls, they need to post in threads / on boards they don't belong in / on.

Also I'm sick of people bitching about Sony / PS3 bashing. Yes it happens, ALOT, but bringing it up is not going to change the fact that quite a few people hate Sony and / or think the PS3 is garbage, no need to bring it up in every other post.

Back on topic; first a 10 from EGM, now these kickass trailers, now I have yet another game to preorder. Who says January's a slow month?

[quote name='62t']Lost In Blue was published by Konami, known for having a small print for portable games.[/quote]
i'm still looking for a copy of lost in blue!

btw, i preorded hotel dusk from cduniverse!

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Trolls are trolls, they need to post in threads / on boards they don't belong in / on.[/quote]

Huh? I'm a "troll" because I post that I'm probably going to rent the game because I love the graphics, but probably won't like it, and explain why? Wow! What a trolly post indeed!

Also I'm sick of people bitching about Sony / PS3 bashing. Yes it happens, ALOT, but bringing it up is not going to change the fact that quite a few people hate Sony and / or think the PS3 is garbage, no need to bring it up in every other post.

Again...huh? It's okay to troll and act like a frigging Ape in regards to the PS3, but it's not okay to have a problem with that? And what the HEY does that have to do with this thread?

I went in my local EB to preorder this along with Phoenix Wright 2, but it (Hotel Dusk) wasn't showing up in the computer. Has this happened to anyone else?

So, I just noticed the EGM 8/8/10 (missed all the discussion above :lol: - oh well). Wow, they are usually so stingy with the 10's - the last guy *REALLY* likes it. This was completely off my radar. I only heard about it because of CAG. I think I might drop a preorder at GR and see if there's any chance they get it in. If they don't get it, maybe I can pick it up at Gamecrazy. EB wants $35 for it and I can't imagine this is not a $29.99 MSRP game (with EB's $5 DS game price inflation in full effect).

[quote name='lebowsky']The Nintendo Power coverage of Hotel Dusk was very in-depth and has me really excited.
[/quote]

I got my free issue of Nintendo Power and saw that Hotel Dusk had its very own in-depth article as well. I flipped t it quickly but my issue has a nasty print problem. The words are all burry and the ink is misaligned. It gave me a headache... Anyway, EGM's 8,8,10 is pretty interesting...

[quote name='jfunkdpg']I went in my local EB to preorder this along with Phoenix Wright 2, but it (Hotel Dusk) wasn't showing up in the computer. Has this happened to anyone else?[/quote]It was in the computer for me, but they weren't taking preorders anymore (ever?). This wasmid-week last week.

[quote name='daroga']It was in the computer for me, but they weren't taking preorders anymore (ever?). This wasmid-week last week.[/QUOTE]

that's weird as hell...??? I went to pre-order when I went to get Lost Planet and the guy said it's not in the system either...??? It's not like the game is in high demand... my only two thoughts are that the game is super obscure and nobody knows about it or it's going to have an extremely limited release.

This shows up on Bestbuy.com, so it should arrive next week, aye?

Thank you grandma for the late $25 Christmas present....

[quote name='Strell']This shows up on Bestbuy.com, so it should arrive next week, aye?

Thank you grandma for the late $25 Christmas present....[/QUOTE]

And, as expected, it is $29.99 there. Hmmm... Maybe I ought to preorder at Gamecrazy just to be safe. I have a feeling this will have a limited run even though it is published by Nintendo. I'm sure they think this is a very niche game like the original Phoenix Wright and I think it could be a cult hit just like that it. Though this game I might actually play ;). (Yes, I have PW, just haven't gotten around to it yet).

[quote name='io'] (Yes, I have PW, just haven't gotten around to it yet).[/QUOTE]

I don't care how much I like the word globementum, you will remedy this immediately.

[quote name='Strell']I don't care how much I like the word globementum, you will remedy this immediately.[/QUOTE]

Meh, just shove it in your pants with the lobsters ;).

I think part of my reluctance to play PW is that I fear I just might not think it is the greatest game ever made, and that would make me either 1) a shunned pariah on CAG or 2) question the meaning of my existence. I'd rather just carry on knowing that I own this wonderful game but not having to make it live up the lofty expectations you all have set for it ;).

This is actually the same reason I want to get and play Hotel Dusk right away. I'd like to be in on the ground floor this time - then I can be one of the people telling everyone to play some wacky obscure DS game!

[quote name='io']
This is actually the same reason I want to get and play Hotel Dusk right away. I'd like to be in on the ground floor this time - then I can be one of the people telling everyone to play some wacky obscure DS game![/QUOTE]

Go play Rub Rabbits :)

I fear I wont be able to pre-order, but I'll be hunting it down. PW had alot of appeal for me, but now I don't give a rats turbine ass about it. Not that it's bad, I just don't care for it.

[quote name='mykevermin']The game looks like a fucking a-ha video.[/quote]taaaaake ooooon meeeeeeee (take on me) taaake meee.........

[quote name='thagoat']taaaaake ooooon meeeeeeee (take on me) taaake meee.........[/QUOTE]

DIE. NOW. (for putting that song in my head while I'm trying to work!)

[quote name='io']Meh, just shove it in your pants with the lobsters ;).

I think part of my reluctance to play PW is that I fear I just might not think it is the greatest game ever made, and that would make me either 1) a shunned pariah on CAG or 2) question the meaning of my existence. I'd rather just carry on knowing that I own this wonderful game but not having to make it live up the lofty expectations you all have set for it ;).

This is actually the same reason I want to get and play Hotel Dusk right away. I'd like to be in on the ground floor this time - then I can be one of the people telling everyone to play some wacky obscure DS game![/QUOTE]

Understandable.

Coward.

:)

Actually, I'm in the same situation regarded several things, including games, movies, and anime.

[quote name='Strell']

Actually, I'm in the same situation regarded several things, including games, movies, and anime.[/QUOTE]

I think a large portion of the living race feels the same.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I think a large portion of the living race feels the same.[/QUOTE]
Not me. I get almost as much enjoyment out of finding out something popular sucks as I do finding out it is great.

As for the Hotel Dusk preorder thing, no it's not in the computer system for whatever reason and we have no idea why. There's normally only three reasons why a game isn't in the system. One, it's shipped already. Two, it's $20 or less. Three, full on preorders. Thing is I doubt any of those three are true except possibly the last one. In which case the game is going to be wicked rare. Personally I'm going with my own 4th reason. The awesomeness of Phoenix Wright erased it from the computer.

[quote name='Strell']This shows up on Bestbuy.com, so it should arrive next week, aye?

Thank you grandma for the late $25 Christmas present....[/QUOTE]

And as usual, Best Buy will have 3 times the amount EB / GS does, and for $10 cheaper since its $30 - $5 GGC (or the $5 Gamepro coupon), so $25.

EB / GS should never be a measuring stick of anything when it comes to video game availability.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Not me. I get almost as much enjoyment out of finding out something popular sucks as I do finding out it is great.

As for the Hotel Dusk preorder thing, no it's not in the computer system for whatever reason and we have no idea why. There's normally only three reasons why a game isn't in the system. One, it's shipped already. Two, it's $20 or less. Three, full on preorders. Thing is I doubt any of those three are true except possibly the last one. In which case the game is going to be wicked rare. Personally I'm going with my own 4th reason. The awesomeness of Phoenix Wright erased it from the computer.[/QUOTE]

I'll go with the 5th reason: Hotel Dusk is so awesome it ripped through a wormhole in the universe.

[quote name='io']Meh, just shove it in your pants with the lobsters ;).

Phoenix Wright is far from the greatest game ever made. I've only played through the third chapter so far, and for the most part it was pretty good, but some areas were pretty ridiculous. I bought into the worship, and have been pretty let down so far--I wouldn't recommend going far out of your way to play it, especially with what you said about being let down. Excuse me while I prepare for crucifixion.

I picked up a used copy of Touch Detective this weekend at GameStop, and I think I was confusing it with Hotel Dusk. I should really keep better tabs on DS games.

I just hope the story doesn't suck. So far it looks like a detective story, but those damn japanese have a way of...well, I won't be surprised if Kyle discovers that the mana flow of the universe is drying up and that he must wield the holy aegean spirit flower to defeat the long haired dude that looks like a chick.

hey, I'll play it for the art style anyway!

[quote name='Strell']Cing made this game, not Square, so shut up you.[/QUOTE]

it's rare that game story goes past the level of amusement, whether it intends to or not, so I'm not holding my breath...

[quote name='Apossum']I just hope the story doesn't suck. So far it looks like a detective story, but those damn japanese have a way of...well, I won't be surprised if Kyle discovers that the mana flow of the universe is drying up and that he must wield the holy aegean spirit flower to defeat the long haired dude that looks like a chick.

hey, I'll play it for the art style anyway![/QUOTE]

But damn, the only reason I'd ever get a PS3 is to play those types of games!

[quote name='Apossum']I just hope the story doesn't suck. So far it looks like a detective story, but those damn japanese have a way of...well, I won't be surprised if Kyle discovers that the mana flow of the universe is drying up and that he must wield the holy aegean spirit flower to defeat the long haired dude that looks like a chick.

hey, I'll play it for the art style anyway![/QUOTE]

don't blame that on the japanese either... the canadians are already screwing witht hat stuff in Assasin's Creed tying the future with medeivil times.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']don't blame that on the japanese either... the canadians are already screwing witht hat stuff in Assasin's Creed tying the future with medeivil times.[/QUOTE]

there's a lesson here....developers need to hire real writers! or games and stories are difficult to mix. but even graphic novel/point and click games let me down :(

I'll definitely be getting this game :)

I can't wait!

For some reason, the 40's-noir style is pulling me to game uncontrollably

HELP

[quote name='hootie']I'll definitely be getting this game :)

I can't wait!

For some reason, the 40's-noir style is pulling me to game uncontrollably

HELP[/QUOTE]

it takes place in 1979.

but good news! Rockstar is developing a game called L.A. Noir for the 360 that has an early 20th century noir theme.

So i tried to pre-order this today with some gamestop credit, and the manager told me that hotel dusk was NOT entered into their POS and could not be pre-ordered. I bet you could pre-order madden 2008 or whatever though. fucking gamestop.

[quote name='jfunkdpg']I went in my local EB to preorder this along with Phoenix Wright 2, but it (Hotel Dusk) wasn't showing up in the computer. Has this happened to anyone else?[/quote]

Yes! I did a similar thing today and the guy could not find a listing for it.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Is there any place online where Hotel Dusk can be purchased (now or later) with Google checkout to get $10 off?[/QUOTE]

buy.com.

Does anyone know if there is a left-handed option to play this game like in Brain Age? I will be super annoyed if this is overlooked.

[quote name='javeryh']Does anyone know if there is a left-handed option to play this game like in Brain Age? I will be super annoyed if this is overlooked.[/quote]

Yes, it has support for lefties. From Nintendo Power:

"With the DS on its side, you're given an overhead map view on the right screen and a first-person polygonal view on the left (or vice-versa for lefties)."

[quote name='lebowsky']Yes, it has support for lefties. From Nintendo Power:

"With the DS on its side, you're given an overhead map view on the right screen and a first-person polygonal view on the left (or vice-versa for lefties)."[/quote]

Whew! Thanks.

I just got the EGM where this game got a 10. I don't know if I'm allowed to post the review, but here it is anyway.
For such an amazing detective drama, it's a damn shame hardly anyone is clued-in on its brilliance--blame Nintendo for keeping this gem hidden. Playing Hotel Dusk made me realize why I love the DS: The game executes everything with such craft and creativity--you hold the system like a book, the puzzles make terrific use of the touch screen--that it pushes home how fun games can be when the DS developers dare to be different. And, unlike other point-and-click adventures, Dusk does a great job of making sure you don't get lost fishing for facts. Factor in the twist-heavy story (I want a sequel, dammit!) and you have one doozy of a DS game.

That's the review that gave it a 10.

I just can't decide if I get this game now or wait. One never knows with some of these games how long they'll sit on shelves.

Might be another good "if GR gets it, I'm game" situation.

EB charging $35 for it doesn't help matters.

[quote name='botticus']I just can't decide if I get this game now or wait. One never knows with some of these games how long they'll sit on shelves.

Might be another good "if GR gets it, I'm game" situation.

EB charging $35 for it doesn't help matters.[/quote]

I've been on the fence with this one but I think I'm going to get it at release. It looks and sounds great and I can't imagine at least not enjoying it somewhat since someone in EGM gave a 10 (not that they are the be all end all of reviews but a 10 is something that I'm bound to at least like). Worst case scenario is that I eBay it for what I paid or more in a few months when it is hard to find.

the guy who rated it 10 sold me on the game. It seems like that the two other reviewers missed the shining spots of the game and this guy knew what it was really worth.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']the guy who rated it 10 sold me on the game. It seems like that the two other reviewers missed the shining spots of the game and this guy knew what it was really worth.[/QUOTE]

And let's not forget the other 2 gave 8's, which isn't bad at all considering how much they panned everything else in that issue. I mean, had it been solid 8's we'd still probably think that was a pretty good review for such an offbeat title.

Botticus - I'm with you on the GR thing. Have you preordered it there, or just hoping they get it in? Due to bad weather I'm not sure when I'll be able to get in to even see if they have preorders but I definitely will. Thing is, I'll probably get it at Gamecrazy if GR doesn't come through the first week of release - I put the chances fairly low of my GR getting this at all, though it helps a bit that it is published by Nintendo. I will hold off on the inflated EB price though for sure.

[quote name='io']And let's not forget the other 2 gave 8's, which isn't bad at all considering how much they panned everything else in that issue. I mean, had it been solid 8's we'd still probably think that was a pretty good review for such an offbeat title.

Botticus - I'm with you on the GR thing. Have you preordered it there, or just hoping they get it in? Due to bad weather I'm not sure when I'll be able to get in to even see if they have preorders but I definitely will. Thing is, I'll probably get it at Gamecrazy if GR doesn't come through the first week of release - I put the chances fairly low of my GR getting this at all, though it helps a bit that it is published by Nintendo. I will hold off on the inflated EB price though for sure.[/quote]No preorder. I will plan on heading over (in likely equally shitty weather) to do some preorders this weekend. Might be too late for that one, but we'll see. I can at least check what they have on order in the near future.

bread's done
Back