Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - Nobody Wants This Game To End... Ever...

Yeah $35 is pretty high, but if your a cheap ass gamer there's other places that'll sell it besides GS/EB.

I think bestbuy has it for 29.99 which i'm getting it there since I got a gift card from christmass to use.

The title of the thread should be: "You're an idiot to pay $5 over MSRP at EB / GS for this game".

I'm shocked so many people, on Cheap Ass Gamer no less, will throw down $5 over MSRP for a game.

Full price, yea, I can see that, but you're giving EB / GS $5 of your money for no reason.

[quote name='Roufuss']The title of the thread should be: "You're an idiot to pay $5 over MSRP at EB / GS for this game".

I'm shocked so many people, on Cheap Ass Gamer no less, will throw down $5 over MSRP for a game.

Full price, yea, I can see that, but you're giving EB / GS $5 of your money for no reason.[/QUOTE]

Done. ;)

[quote name='hootie']EBGames.com is the only way I can get this game, I have to take one for the team and pay the extra.... :whistle2:([/QUOTE]
Amazon has it for $30 w/free shipping.

[quote name='Xevious']The game looks interesting. I am going to wait for the reviews though.[/QUOTE]

8.0, 8.0, 10.0 in the Feb EGM. Some other reviews have been posted as well.

My only conern is where to get it. I can beg and plead and try to get someone to take me to Best Buy on release day, or I can just order it on Amazon and wait a couple more days for it...I am playing other games right now, but I really want this. Hmph. I honestly don't know what to do. :(

[quote name='Blind the Thief']My only conern is where to get it. I can beg and plead and try to get someone to take me to Best Buy on release day, or I can just order it on Amazon and wait a couple more days for it...I am playing other games right now, but I really want this. Hmph. I honestly don't know what to do. :([/QUOTE]

Go with amazon and enjoy your other games, it'll come before you know it.

I don't know if this has been posted in this thread yet, but:

Famitsu gave it a 9,7,9,8 which came out to 33/40, which is great coming from that magazine.

CheapyD said in CAGcast #58 that Famitsu scores are basically meaningless if it's a game that's going to sell well.
i'm guessing they rated Hotel Dusk legitly, but I believe the PS3 Gundam game was getting 9's on Famitsu while US reviews were panning it with 3's.

[quote name='mkg12']CheapyD said in CAGcast #58 that Famitsu scores are basically meaningless if it's a game that's going to sell well.
i'm guessing they rated Hotel Dusk legitly, but I believe the PS3 Gundam game was getting 9's on Famitsu while US reviews were panning it with 3's.[/quote]

Yeah, if a game is Final Fantasy or anything else that Japanese gamers universally love, it gets the Famitsu bonus scores. A game like Hotel Dusk is not something that is in the radar at all, so I would assume it is legit.

BTW, I'm with everyone who is NOT going to buy this from EB/GS. That $5 bump on certain DS and GBA games is complete bullshit. I refused to buy Drill Dozer from there (back when it was $30 - before it was clearanced) until I saw it priced at $30 in their store. They claimed it was a pricing mistake but sold it to me for $30 anyway.

I'm getting this from Best Buy, even if I have to wait a few extra days.

Woo, I preordered it finally!

I got the worst shipping option though, so I'll have to wait until at least a week after it comes out to get it :whistle2:(

[quote name='mkg12']CheapyD said in CAGcast #58 that Famitsu scores are basically meaningless if it's a game that's going to sell well.
i'm guessing they rated Hotel Dusk legitly, but I believe the PS3 Gundam game was getting 9's on Famitsu while US reviews were panning it with 3's.[/QUOTE]

You think this game is going to sell well?

I doubt it will top That's So Raven DS.

[quote name='Strell']You think this game is going to sell well?[/QUOTE]
You might want to read that again. They said it was probably rated legitly, which means they do not think it's going to sell well.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']This is going to be a looong week ahead of me.[/quote]

Yes it will :cry:

I got 5-10 day shipping, which = :twoguns:

I preordered it at GR and they told me they have none coming to the store :bomb:. Hopefully that will change with my preorder (not likely though). If it doesn't by late next week I'll try to preorder it at Gamecrazy.

[quote name='io']If it doesn't by late next week I'll try to preorder it at Gamecrazy.[/quote]
Too late, sir. It comes out on the 22nd or 23rd and the preorders for the first batch ended this past week. What sucks even worse is that the game will not be hitting GameCrazy locations unless someone preordered it (it's marked as "Preorder Stores Only" on the release list), so they won't have any extra copies of it either.

You can still preorder it, i'm sure they'll let you, but they won't have a copy for you on release day unless other people ordered it too. They'll generally take preorders until the day before a game comes out (like Lost Planet) because they'll have extras, but preordering it this late in the game when it's marked preorder stores only means you're 99.9% SOL at GC stores.

//Scorch is glad he preordered last month

[quote name='io']I preordered it at GR and they told me they have none coming to the store :bomb:. Hopefully that will change with my preorder (not likely though). If it doesn't by late next week I'll try to preorder it at Gamecrazy.[/QUOTE]

I still say GC has bad policy with their pre-orders, thus usually making EB/GS have the upper hand... Then again I've never seen a GC, so I can't say much.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I still say GC has bad policy with their pre-orders, thus usually making EB/GS have the upper hand... Then again I've never seen a GC, so I can't say much.[/quote]

Then how do they have "bad policy" with their preorders?

Well, damn, I was going to do it when I was in there last week but forgot about it. I'll probably do it anyway just to see. It will still be a better chance than GR getting it ;). I get a free rental by making a preorder, right? I saw this in the store the other day. Last time I preordered there (Portrait of Ruin) I saw the same thing the next time I was in - the guy never mentioned it to me while taking my preorder though, of course.

Yeah I called up a GC the other day to see if they were still taking reservations (since my local GS/EB don't have the game in their system) and they said yes, but it won't guarantee me a copy. I thought to myself, then what the hell is the point to preordering it?

[quote name='io']Well, damn, I was going to do it when I was in there last week but forgot about it. I'll probably do it anyway just to see. It will still be a better chance than GR getting it ;). I get a free rental by making a preorder, right? I saw this in the store the other day. Last time I preordered there (Portrait of Ruin) I saw the same thing the next time I was in - the guy never mentioned it to me while taking my preorder though, of course.[/quote]

It's not a free rental, it's a "rent one get one free" coupon. Most employees forget to ring it up, so ask next time you PO. It's not like the MVP card.. when the MVP is rung up, the buffing card and magazine subscription automatically ring up, but with PO's, they have to manually do it. So next time, just ask about it and you should get one.

Yeah I called up a GC the other day to see if they were still taking reservations (since my local GS/EB don't have the game in their system) and they said yes, but it won't guarantee me a copy. I thought to myself, then what the hell is the point to preordering it?

Yeah, that's a preorder store only reason. Some games are like that. The general cut-off date for preorders for the 1st allocation/shipment ends the week before the game comes out because all the numbers and whatnot get sent to the DC so they can start setting up shipments for individual stores. With Lost Planet, Halo, or other high profile titles, they'll ship more than the PO's (for instance, local store had 10 PO's of LP, received 16 copies) and they'll continue to take preorders. You can go ahead and preorder Hotel Dusk, you're just not guaranteed one on launch day. Preordering now might still get them to send a copy or two to the store, but it'll probably be the week after it comes out.

Some games are marked preorder stores only for launch day then arrive two weeks later or so. DOA Xtreme 2 was marked PO stores only for the launch week but was in all stores 2 weeks later or so.

So basically.. you're not guarenteed a copy since you're wanting to preorder so late in the game, but if they get one in, it'll be yours. I say go ahead and do it, you really have nothing else to lose.. worse comes to worse, you take the $5 and put it on something else, or you just get your $5 refunded back to you.

Ok, I bought it from Amazon.

So did I...just now. It's not like I exactly need another game right now, it's just that the gaming community hype for this one is crushing and I'm really afraid it's going to become very scarce, very quickly. I know how many of you seemed to be hunting for Phoenix Wright for about half of 2006. This might be 180 degrees away from that situation, but why take chances?

Plus, it's devoid of anime-y characters and has a truly mature atmosphere to it, so that alone mandates my patronage. And hey, I happened to like a-ha.

Isn't January 22 is supposed to be the ship date, not necessarily the arrival date? In any case, though, if I don't get a copy in a timely manner, I've got plenty of other activities (and games) to keep me occupied for a while.

I had to cave and get it from Amazon. I still had some gift certif money there. This thread and the one over at GoNintendo spooked me into it.

Won't be left behind on this one, even if I don't open it until summer.

I could care less if it is hard to find, I got my preorder in, and all I have to do is sit back and wait for it to come to my doorstep :)

Which will be a painful wait.

I had my Amazon pre-order set....

Then decided to cancel, for whatever reason. The fact that I'm finally playing my PS2 and working my way through San Andreas AND bought Phoenix Wright 2 the other day played a small part.

Though after re-reading this thread, I went back and put the pre-order back in at the 'Zon.

/no self control

[quote name='clockworkgreen']I had my Amazon pre-order set....

Then decided to cancel, for whatever reason. The fact that I'm finally playing my PS2 and working my way through San Andreas AND bought Phoenix Wright 2 the other day played a small part.

Though after re-reading this thread, I went back and put the pre-order back in at the 'Zon.

/no self control[/quote]

:lol:

Don't worry, it happens to the best of us :rofl:

As I was able to get a white DS Lite today, as reported in the other thread, I'm now thinking if I should just get this game when it comes out.....tomorrow... or wait on reviews/used copies.

hope this is available through gamestop.com. that would mean it's also on barnesandnoble.com and I have a $25 gift card to there :)

[quote name='spiwak']As I was able to get a white DS Lite today, as reported in the other thread, I'm now thinking if I should just get this game when it comes out.....tomorrow... or wait on reviews/used copies.[/quote]

It comes out Tuesday, it ships out from the developer tomorrow.

I preordered this from Amazon.com (had over $30 in gift certificates) two days ago. It says I should get it next Monday or so. That's the only drag to buying online.

[quote name='Scorch']

So basically.. you're not guarenteed a copy since you're wanting to preorder so late in the game, but if they get one in, it'll be yours. I say go ahead and do it, you really have nothing else to lose.. worse comes to worse, you take the $5 and put it on something else, or you just get your $5 refunded back to you.[/QUOTE]

Well, I preordered it today (Sunday) at my GC. They didn't mention a thing about it being limited, or not getting it from the first batch or whatever. They did say they would call me, which is BS because they never called me about my Castlevania Portrait of Ruin preorder. Since they don't necessarily seem to know what's going on I'll make sure to call them and go pick it up ASAP if they get it in. Chances are, though, no one else has preordered it and they won't get any (at first anyway). So now I have it preordered at 2 stores (GR and GC) that probably won't get it at all. So much for getting in on this game before it becomes the next Phoenix Wright - I wanted to be one of the cool kids this time, dammit!

Hmmm, I've got a Best Buy gift card from my credit card and I'd love to knock $5 off the price of the game, but Best Buy online is saying that they'll get it in on the 29th. I'm hoping that's a goof and I'll be able to pick it up in-store on Tuesday or Wednesday.

[quote name='daroga']Hmmm, I've got a Best Buy gift card from my credit card and I'd love to knock $5 off the price of the game, but Best Buy online is saying that they'll get it in on the 29th. I'm hoping that's a goof and I'll be able to pick it up in-store on Tuesday or Wednesday.[/QUOTE]

ditto, I got a GGC burning in my wallet to be used on it.

070122_hoteldusk.jpg

bread's done
Back