Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - Nobody Wants This Game To End... Ever...

I haven't played the game yet, so I wouldn't know whether voice acting would work for it or not.

But I think instead of it having full voice acting, something like small samples of voices would work.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Played this for review. I'm kind of torn. It's got all the adventure-game requirements, but the dialog drags on far too long, and the actual adventure stuff seems a little too hand-holding. I like the puzzles, though, and the notebook you actually write stuff in. I haven't played Trace Memory to compare the two.[/QUOTE]

Here's a review I'm going to trust that isn't biased... not people who hype up the game so much before release and then keep hyping it once it's out.

I might be giving this one a momentary pass and go for Phoenix Wright 2 instead when I get around to it.

As always, thanks for the impressions VL.

I had ordered HD from Amazon, but I decided to check out a couple stores today to see if any copies were in-stock. Best Buy didn't have any, so next stop was Target, and as I walked to the DS section and looked at the glass case I saw it. I say at least 4-5 copies are left when I got mine, most likely more but I couldn't tell. Needless to say I picked up a copy and cancelled my Amazon order, can't wait to play it.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'm having a hard time believing people don't like the text speed. The story is so compelling, along with he people, that I always ok forward to talking. I say the pacing is fine, if it went faster it wold ruin the mood for me.[/QUOTE]
It's not the speed so much as how inane a lot of the chatter is. Too much "Ya don't say..." and repeating what the other person said. As I mention in my review (for X-Play, so it won't be available for some time), they could've chopped the script in half and nobody would've missed it.

[quote name='Roufuss']Here's a review I'm going to trust that isn't biased... not people who hype up the game so much before release and then keep hyping it once it's out.

I might be giving this one a momentary pass and go for Phoenix Wright 2 instead when I get around to it.

As always, thanks for the impressions VL.[/QUOTE]
I appreciate your trust, Roufuss. I try to call it as I play it.

[quote name='javeryh']That's an awesome idea! Imagine "legitimate" authors releasing $10 games/chapters that take 2-3 hours to play through and make up a whole story... :drool:[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what to make of this... I meant that each author would get their own "Book", unrelated to any of the others released in this "series"... so you wouldn't have to buy more than one to get the entire story...

And it's not that I have anything against dead authors and such... It's just that it'd be kinda hard for them to write a new story just for the DS... ;)

Well, I just got done with chapter 1, but at this point the game is not pulling me in in the least. Obviosuly, we're just barely scratching the surface here, but the pace is just plodding. Maybe Phoenix Wright spoiled me, the pacing of the dialouge is fantastic in that game.

I guess maybe there's a reason that what I say in a given day doesn't make it into a video game. It'd be boring and dull.

Those who are farther, who might have shared my thoughts in chapter 1, does it get better?

Well, blow me down and call me Stacy...

Gamecrazy JUST CALLED ME to let me know my Hotel Dusk preorder has arrived. This is the preorder I put in just last Sunday. Whoo-hooo. Unfortunately my wife just came back from that area, so I guess I'll have to make a trip back up there this evening - don't want anyone else to grab that before I get a chance. I'm feeling lucky - maybe I should check to see if GR got it in?

All Best Buy's should have this game already and should be selling it. I walked in to one at lunch and they guy looked it up and said they had it but couldn't sell it until the 29th so I nudged a little. He was going to call over his manager but decided to look up their inter-store promo or update page and they have an update from the 25th boldly telling them to sell the game now. So, I gots me one.

[quote name='daroga']Well, I just got done with chapter 1, but at this point the game is not pulling me in in the least. Obviosuly, we're just barely scratching the surface here, but the pace is just plodding. Maybe Phoenix Wright spoiled me, the pacing of the dialouge is fantastic in that game.

I guess maybe there's a reason that what I say in a given day doesn't make it into a video game. It'd be boring and dull.

Those who are farther, who might have shared my thoughts in chapter 1, does it get better?[/QUOTE]

yeah, once you know who every guest is in the house,, the story starts getting a bit crazy.

Personally, PW is a fast paced mystery like a TV show while HD is more like a novel and slow based with more real life language and personality. Both are good, but I like the slow approach to things in HD as it relaxes me and lets my mind go not worrying about much.

So, for someone, like say a certain CAG's wife, who has NO interest in video games but likes to read mystery novels and such, does anyone see the potential in having this be a "starter" game? I'm thinking the slow pacing might be an advantage there as she definitely isn't into typical frenetic video game action.

I've been trying to get her to play several DS games but she's shown no interest in the typical "starter" games like Nintendogs or Brain Age. I thought Phoenix Wright might get her interested (in that in addition to the mystery novels she likes court TV-like stuff - whereas I detest that stuff), but no dice (of course, I haven't played it either).

I finally played Feel The Magic the other day - fun game, glad I decided to pick up Rub Rabbits for $10 at TRU! But that won't work for her either. Maybe Sprung? :lol:

maybe she just doesnt like video games? I've tried getting my wife to play the wii too, but she just doesn't seem in to it.

FSUddin

[quote name='FSUddin']maybe she just doesnt like video games? [/QUOTE]
Well, that was my point ;).

What I'm hoping, and this dovetails with Nintendo's strategy as well, is that games like this, which are different than the typical video game experience, will draw her in, at least a little. If it plays like reading a book, I might just be able to get her into it. In fact, I'm going to make a special trip out tonight to pick it up and try to get her started on it tonight.

[quote name='io']So, for someone, like say a certain CAG's wife, who has NO interest in video games but likes to read mystery novels and such, does anyone see the potential in having this be a "starter" game? I'm thinking the slow pacing might be an advantage there as she definitely isn't into typical frenetic video game action.

I've been trying to get her to play several DS games but she's shown no interest in the typical "starter" games like Nintendogs or Brain Age. I thought Phoenix Wright might get her interested (in that in addition to the mystery novels she likes court TV-like stuff - whereas I detest that stuff), but no dice (of course, I haven't played it either).

I finally played Feel The Magic the other day - fun game, glad I decided to pick up Rub Rabbits for $10 at TRU! But that won't work for her either. Maybe Sprung? :lol:[/QUOTE]

I know this may sound really odd and bad, but I've seen tons of older women on the morning train rail I take play either Urbz or Princess Peach on their DS... I'm always surprised.

HD may be a bit slow and I only reccomend it if she likes murder mystery since most of the focus is on finding someone with storys of people dying.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I know this may sound really odd and bad, but I've seen tons of older women on the morning train rail I take play either Urbz or Princess Peach on their DS... I'm always surprised.

HD may be a bit slow and I only reccomend it if she likes murder mystery since most of the focus is on finding someone with storys of people dying.[/QUOTE]

I think she's into that sort of thing. I know she would not like Princess Peach or the Urbz though. The only "in" is this type of book-like adventure game, I think. This might just be perfect. I've already warned her that she WILL, in fact, be playing this game (at least trying it out at first). We'll see where it goes from there ;).

Finally got my copy today, I was looking around the DS section until I was asked by a Best Buy employee if I was looking for anything in particular, told him the name and he came out with a stack of them from the back.

Can't wait to start getting into it.

[quote name='io']I think she's into that sort of thing. I know she would not like Princess Peach or the Urbz though. The only "in" is this type of book-like adventure game, I think. This might just be perfect. I've already warned her that she WILL, in fact, be playing this game (at least trying it out at first). We'll see where it goes from there ;).[/quote]

I was all set to give you some advice [since I'm a girl gamer, too], but I noticed you said she doesn't like Brain Age, which was in my recommendations...

The games I have for my DS are Big Brain Academy, Cooking Mama, Elite Beat Agents, and Phoenix Wright 2. I want to get WarioWare and Trauma Center for my DS [they are kind of hard to find around here?]... I tend to think my list of games for my DS [and Gamecube, and other things] is quite girly but I am betting she's just not a video game type of girl.

Quite sad. Would be fun if you could get her into Halo!

[quote name='shanyn']I was all set to give you some advice [since I'm a girl gamer, too], but I noticed you said she doesn't like Brain Age, which was in my recommendations...

The games I have for my DS are Big Brain Academy, Cooking Mama, Elite Beat Agents, and Phoenix Wright 2. I want to get WarioWare and Trauma Center for my DS [they are kind of hard to find around here?]... I tend to think my list of games for my DS [and Gamecube, and other things] is quite girly but I am betting she's just not a video game type of girl.

Quite sad. Would be fun if you could get her into Halo![/QUOTE]

Yeah, she's not, unfortunately. That's OK though because our kids (including my 9 year-old daughter) are into games - it's why I got back into console gaming at all actually. I got them a GC a few years ago for Christmas. Now, in addition to that and the DS, obviously, we have a PS2 and a Wii and probably soon a 360. However, even I am not into Halo, so someone would have to get me into that before I could convinve anyone else. I will probably be buying a 360 soon - none of the Halos will be included in any purchases I make for it (well, if I stumble on a Halo Triple Pack for $12 at Kmart maybe I'll keep it).

I do plan on picking up Cooking Mama. If I can get her to play (and enjoy) Hotel Dusk (which I have in my hands now but got home too late with for her to play) then maybe I'll move her up to something more action-y like Cooking Mama. Then we can go from there ;).

I have actually seen her play Mario Kart DD because the boys made her play. That was a hoot...

Game Crazy finally got my copy of HD in yesterday. I'm about 2-3 chapters in right now. My only only problem with the game right now is that there is no list of objectives. But I guess that is what the memo pad is for...

well I just beat the game. From what i read there are like 3-4 endings all depending. Also something happens in Chapter 4 that you cant go back to, it doesnt effect the story line, that I know of, but I will post it for those who wouldnt want to miss it.

During Chapter 4, when Angel is by the front desk complaining to Dunning, is the time to get the change for the vending machine for later in the game. After this i dont believe you can get coins for the machine.

[quote name='mkg12']When you click to load a save file it will tell you the elapsed time of that file. damn, 20 hours is pretty long.[/QUOTE]

19hrs 40 minutes

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']i dunno if theres a specific timer, but at least 20 hrs[/QUOTE]
Nice to know the game is pretty long, I'm about 6 hours in, about to start Chapter 5.

[quote name='Robobandit']Keep in mind, the clock keeps running even when the DS is in sleep mode, so the time it gives you might be a bit off.[/QUOTE]

ah than maybe closer to 19hrs than 20

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']This is a pretty good overview...

http://gamevideos.com/video/id/8760

I'm realizing the reason why people do or do not liek the game is weather you realize what charm is there or not. People say that alot of the speach and pacing is meaningless, when I feel the fluff talk adds moer to the realism of personality between the characters.[/QUOTE]

and to quote myself :) this game deserves nothing less than a 9.0. I'm still pissed reviewers forget to rate games for what they are, not what people want them to be.

[quote name='JohnnyDrama']Nice to know the game is pretty long, I'm about 6 hours in, about to start Chapter 5.[/quote]
Wow, I must play very slowly. I'm about 4 hours in, and I just started Chapter 3.

Edit: Oh, and I think the pacing of the game is fine. I sometimes think the conversations with some of the people are too short!

If anyone's still on the fence, try watching the most recent 1UP show... the clips they showed completely sold me on the game (well, maybe I was already kinda sold) and I have no doubts that this is definitely the kind of game I've been looking for.

[quote name='Chacrana']If anyone's still on the fence, try watching the most recent 1UP show... the clips they showed completely sold me on the game (well, maybe I was already kinda sold) and I have no doubts that this is definitely the kind of game I've been looking for.[/QUOTE]

I already posted it... srry

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2612720&postcount=320

...but to sum up the video:

The two people in EGM that gave it 8s really have no defense on why they gaev the game those scores. And the reasons they do give are so horrible that you can apply them to any review someone does... sad...

So, I take it you like the game Rolento? :lol:

I'm getting my wife to play it tomorrow for sure. We'll see how that goes. I'll play it after she does. I'm playing Magical Starsign right now which I must say was underrated as well. I got rid of my original copy because of the reviews and only picked it up because I had a Buy 1 Get 1 free used portable game coupon at GC and needed something to go with WarioWare Touched (which goes to my son for his birthday).

[quote name='io']So, I take it you like the game Rolento? :lol:

[/QUOTE]

:lol: that's an understatement ;)

Man... just when I thought it couldn't get better, the story just keeps getting more intriguing... I'll have to say I am very impressed that CING pulled this off seeing as how much I hated Trace Memory... I think they finally figured out the right way to do a mystery title.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I think they finally figured out the right way to do a mystery title.[/quote]

seconded!:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy: 8 hours in, weeee?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']The two people in EGM that gave it 8s really have no defense on why they gaev the game those scores. And the reasons they do give are so horrible that you can apply them to any review someone does... sad...[/QUOTE]

I read the EGM reviews, the complaints were that the story is illogical at times and the pace is glacial. For a game that's pretty much a slightly interactive book, I'd say those are two of the only criticisms that you can leverage against it. Not all games deserve a perfect score, and, from every other review I've read, this game is good, but not necessarily a "must buy".

[quote name='alongx']I read the EGM reviews, the complaints were that the story is illogical at times and the pace is glacial. For a game that's pretty much a slightly interactive book, I'd say those are two of the only criticisms that you can leverage against it. Not all games deserve a perfect score, and, from every other review I've read, this game is good, but not necessarily a "must buy".[/QUOTE]

the odd thing I'm finding though that makes no sense at all is that reviewers are giving it 8.0s and similar scores while ending their reviews by saying "if you own a DS you must play this"...???????????????????

I say this game is not an interactive book at all.. it comes across as that, but it feels more like a conversation based mystery. If it were a novel, there'd be alot more of Kyle describing everything he does (ie, like when Kyle goes eating or hits the bar), but about 90% of the game is dialogue... so no... not a novel but a personality interaction...?

[quote name='alongx']I read the EGM reviews, the complaints were that the story is illogical at times and the pace is glacial. For a game that's pretty much a slightly interactive book, I'd say those are two of the only criticisms that you can leverage against it. Not all games deserve a perfect score, and, from every other review I've read, this game is good, but not necessarily a "must buy".[/QUOTE]
Keep in mind that games don't start getting a 10; they usually start getting a 6 (or whatever average score is), and work their way up or down. Thus, just because they didn't have as many complaints (though the glacial pace is indeed a justifiable complaint) doesn't mean they too should've given it a 10. I personally think the 8s were even a little high.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Keep in mind that games don't start getting a 10; they usually start getting a 6 (or whatever average score is), and work their way up or down. Thus, just because they didn't have as many complaints (though the glacial pace is indeed a justifiable complaint) doesn't mean they too should've given it a 10. I personally think the 8s were even a little high.[/QUOTE]

My question still remains: do people think majority of game reviews rate games for what they are, or what the reviewers want the game to be?

This is one of the few games that people would consider it a "Love it or hate it" type of game at first glance, when in reality I think that's hardly the case. For what the game is trying to be/is, it's awesome. For what people are thinking it should be or what genre it should stick to, it's not superb, but good.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']My question still remains: do people think majority of game reviews rate games for what they are, or what the reviewers want the game to be?

This is one of the few games that people would consider it a "Love it or hate it" type of game at first glance, when in reality I think that's hardly the case. For what the game is trying to be/is, it's awesome. For what people are thinking it should be or what genre it should stick to, it's not superb, but good.[/QUOTE]

We reviewers try to do both in a way that doesn't betray either one. You have to look at how you feel about the game personally, then consider the type of people who make up the prime audience. Adventure games have a totally different audience from FPSs, for example -- however, you have to write the review for everyone. That's why it's tough to just base a review on the score it gives.

Again, I'll say the redundant dialog is not only boring to non-adventure enthusiasts, but is just bad all-around. I also think a lot of the what-to-do-next aspects are too obvious and hinted at for adventure gamers, though a more mainstream audience will appreciate it. Reviews are often not as cut-and-dry as "this is good" or "this is bad" because it sometimes depends on the user.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']My question still remains: do people think majority of game reviews rate games for what they are, or what the reviewers want the game to be?

This is one of the few games that people would consider it a "Love it or hate it" type of game at first glance, when in reality I think that's hardly the case. For what the game is trying to be/is, it's awesome. For what people are thinking it should be or what genre it should stick to, it's not superb, but good.[/QUOTE]
That's a very good point, and one more reviewers need to ask themselves.

Tycho brings up some good points as well about video game reviews in his news update today: http://www.penny-arcade.com/

These things are really the main reason I don't trust ANY source but myself when it comes to deciding what to buy and what not to buy.

bread's done
Back