Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - Nobody Wants This Game To End... Ever...

[quote name='pete5883']Yeah. Slow-moving, plot heavy ones, too.[/quote]
OK!

Because most of your posts in game specific threads tend to be negative.

I loved this game except for:

where you have to use two stylus or stylus and finger. I hate games that forces me to use my fingers to touch the screen. only way I could get past that was by buying a another stylus.

another "finger" game is nanostray but I heard the upcomining sequel also has some "finger" action. :cry:

That's why I rated this game 3 of 5 when it could have been 4.

[quote name='laaj']I loved this game except for:

where you have to use two stylus or stylus and finger. I hate games that forces me to use my fingers to touch the screen. only way I could get past that was by buying a another stylus.

another "finger" game is nanostray but I heard the upcomining sequel also has some "finger" action. :cry:

That's why I rated this game 3 of 5 when it could have been 4.[/QUOTE]

????

that was only like 1 part of the game. I don't see how it nullifies the game.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']????

that was only like 1 part of the game. I don't see how it nullifies the game.[/QUOTE]

It does when game is telling you to do what manual which came with DS tells you not to. Funny thing is this game is published by Nintendo.

[quote name='laaj']It does when game is telling you to do what manual which came with DS tells you not to. Funny thing is this game is published by Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

it's a game doing intuitive uses for the touch screen. also, please write in english next time.

[quote name='Tybee']If you're a pure plot person, yeah, I can see how you'd find it frustrating. But if you appreciate a character-driven story, you'll appreciate the depth and nuance the game provides for its characters. You even come to care about some of them.

Sometimes it's about the journey, not the destination.

I suspect Kyle would agree.[/quote]

Yeah, I don't (at least consciously) give a damn about character development. Although I've found myself "missing" characters in the past at the end of a particularly good book, that hasn't happened with a game. Maybe this one will be the first. I'm just not holding my breath.

Don't get me wrong; it's far from the most boring (hello, SimCity) or frustrating (come on down, MegaMan ZX) DS game I've played. And as long as I at least keep things moving along and don't have to spend hours figuring out what little thing I forgot to click on, it's holding my interest a little better now. (Oh, who am I kidding--I don't spend hours; I get pissed after a while and check Gamefaqs. Once again, did I mention I'm not good at adventure games?)

[quote name='pete5883']Yeah, the clock doesn't turn off when you close the DS.[/quote]

[quote name='Vegan']The clock keeps running when the DS is in sleep mode.[/quote]

Ahh, it's all so clear now. I didn't think I had left the game in sleep mode for THAT long, but I must be mistaken.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']it's a game doing intuitive uses for the touch screen. also, please write in english next time.[/QUOTE]

intuitive? developers broke the game. DS touch screen was never meant for that. it took me 5+ tries using only the stylus before the game registered the command. people like you will call a developer asking a player to splash some water on the ds screen as being intuitive or innovative.

[quote name='laaj']It does when game is telling you to do what manual which came with DS tells you not to. Funny thing is this game is published by Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

Is there a complete thought here?

I can't honestly tell.

[quote name='Strell']Is there a complete thought here?

I can't honestly tell.[/QUOTE]

I'll make it easier for you to understand. On page 5 of Nintendo DS lite's instruction booklet:

"The lower display (the Touch Screen) is touch sensitive and should only be operated with a Nintendo-licensed stylus."

Hotel Dusk was published by Nintendo. With me so far? There's one part of Hotel Dusk where you can't get past without ignoring Nintendo's intruction for DS lite.

Yes, thank you for expressing your sentiment in such a way that it can be understood by other humans.

I'm fairly certain I just used two stylii at that part.

So I guess I outwitted Nintendo, the manual, Hotel Dusk, you, God, and every dead Nazi.

This includes the dreaded zombie Nazis, which I refer to as Nazombies, who are crafty creatures indeed.

This is one hell of a long active thread about Hotel Dusk. When it came up on the little side bar menu, and with a trailer for the first post, i thought: Holy shit! a sequal is coming out, Hells yeah. But i looked at the date and the trailer and was corrected:cry: no sequal for me. Is there any talk of a sequal or the same team doing something else?

I had just beaten it a week ago, and i have to say there has been a definite lack of adventure games in my life since being a little kid.

I read a few pages back on someone stumbled across the solution to the puzzle where you have to close the ds, and that had got to be my favorite out of the box thinking ive had in a while.

Ah, but Sir Grove, there is a plethora of the genre upon the wonderful DS, and a small resurgence going on in gaming generally.

[quote name='Strell']
I'm fairly certain I just used two stylii at that part.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for spoiling the the game. Did you have fun trying to get the DS to register that? DS' touchscreen was never designed as multi-touch.

[quote name='laaj']Thanks for spoiling the the game. Did you have fun trying to get the DS to register that? DS' touchscreen was never designed as multi-touch.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I spoiled the game.

The butler did it, folks.

For the record, no, I didn't like that part, and found it quite frustrating for the reason you highlight - that the screen is not designed for multiple input.

I can't tell if all these pseudo-spoilers (no, you're not giving away plot details; I'm talking about the "using two styli" or "closing the DS" stuff) are making me look forward to later parts of the game, or dread them. At the moment, I'm leaning toward "dread."

But hey, I made it to Chapter 3! And it only took me 391 hours!

[quote name='Strell']
So I guess I outwitted Nintendo, the manual, Hotel Dusk, you, God, and every dead Nazi.

This includes the dreaded zombie Nazis, which I refer to as Nazombies, who are crafty creatures indeed.[/QUOTE]

PURE AWESOMENESS!!!

I did kind of get stuck on that puzzle because I knew the screen wasn't designed for multi-input. So some ignorance would've helped.

My DS came with two styluses. (Stylii?) You can also use your fingernail. As long as it's not, like, Freddy Krueger-sharp.

[quote name='clockworkgreen']I still just listen to the soundtrack on my Ipod, and I haven't played the game in...well, my post was the last one in here before the thread got bumped. :)[/quote]It is a great ost to play in the background. Great to fall asleep to.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']has anyone heard anything about a sequel at all?[/quote]Not likely. It was the second in the Cing trilogy thingy. But the only reference I know of to Trace Memory was the name of the Hospital. The understanding was that next game (whether it's DS or Wii) will basically be another stand alone.

[quote name='Strell']I hope gwen reads that.

I have quoted it purely to make that doubly likely.[/quote]I'm not even going to justify that with a response. I've heard she's too important to notice such drivel. I'll let you know if she does. I'll get back to you when I think of something witty.

[quote name='geigerm']Yeah, I don't (at least consciously) give a damn about character development. Although I've found myself "missing" characters in the past at the end of a particularly good book, that hasn't happened with a game. Maybe this one will be the first. I'm just not holding my breath.[/quote]I can identify with that. I'm a natural born book worm, books and their characters have kept me great company during the trials of grammar school hardships and heartaches. I guess that never changed, now that I think of it. But me and John Watson and Holmes were the best of friends when I was a kid.

I definately didn't care much for Dusk when I started, but the game and the mystery grew on me. I still don't like Kyle Hyde but I...uh... like Kyle Hyde. >_>

I hope Strell doesn't read that.

[quote name='laaj']Thanks for spoiling the the game. Did you have fun trying to get the DS to register that? DS' touchscreen was never designed as multi-touch.[/quote]You sir, have never met Dr Styles. Freakin Trauma Center.

[quote name='guinaevere'] I still don't like Kyle Hyde but I...uh... like Kyle Hyde. [/quote]

Kyle Hyde is awesome. Every time he acts like a dick I just want to give him a high five and promptly get called an idiot afterwards. It's the first time I liked a character that I know I would never get along with in real life.

You know that one part where Mila faints and you have to resuscitate her? Rosa was like "put your face close to her"

And I swear I almost made out with the screen before figuring out the real solution.

[quote name='kainzero']You know that one part where Mila faints and you have to resuscitate her? Rosa was like "put your face close to her"

And I swear I almost made out with the screen before figuring out the real solution.[/quote]

I think I remember doing the same thing. I was whispering into the microphone and stuff. But of course, the solution was much simpler and more elegant than that.

[quote name='kainzero']You know that one part where Mila faints and you have to resuscitate her? Rosa was like "put your face close to her"

And I swear I almost made out with the screen before figuring out the real solution.[/quote]bwah! That's hilarious.

I just recently purchased another DS after being without one for almost a year, & I can't find this game anywhere. New or used.

Well, I gotta say ... after bumping this thread a few weeks back with the question of whether this game is worth sticking with, I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised. What most of you said has been spot-on--yeah, it started slow, but the story's really picked up and things have become much more interesting. Just made it into Chapter 8 and I think I'll be finishing the game within the next couple of days if I can help it.

Completed twice, even though knowing there is nothing new to do the second time round. It's still my fave game on the DS so far.

[quote name='geigerm']Well, I gotta say ... after bumping this thread a few weeks back with the question of whether this game is worth sticking with, I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised. What most of you said has been spot-on--yeah, it started slow, but the story's really picked up and things have become much more interesting. Just made it into Chapter 8 and I think I'll be finishing the game within the next couple of days if I can help it.[/quote]

Good for you for sticking with it. Sometimes I did wonder "What does heck does this chapter have to do with the underlying mystery of the game?" So I can see why people would give up though.

[quote name='Keiotic']Completed twice, even though knowing there is nothing new to do the second time round. It's still my fave game on the DS so far.[/QUOTE]

Still my GotY for 2007.

Beat this yesterday, and I gotta say, the ending = pure awesomeness. The last couple of chapters did an awesome job of tying the whole story together.

I really want to get into the game again. I could tell it was a great game, but some of the puzzles are so vague that it becomes a guess everything virtually possible type of adventure game. SOOO frustrating...

Trace Memory never gave me as much probs.

I'll have to ask for tips here later or something.

I haven't been able to find this game new or used anywhere. I'm sure I'll run into it when I loose interest in it.

I bought this game way back during a CC clearance. I kept getting stuck in the first hour or two of the game. That's something I really hate about adventure games. You get hung up on stupid little things with not clues and nothing but trial and error to progress. Then again, the fact that I play my DS almost exclusively away from home means I don't have access to any FAQs or anything to help when I get stuck. Trace Memory took me way too long to finish because of this and left a bad taste in my mouth before I even started Hotel Dusk.

can't wait for my DS to arrive. one of the main reasons I finally caved and bought a DS lite online (cheaper than buying it from the store, that's for sure) was because of this game. was lucky enough to find a copy at ebgames when i wasn't even looking specifically for it but the cartridge caught my eye :D grabbed it right away

Great game, I can imagine if someone is not an adventure gamer that it may give them some trouble. For the most part this game made sense. Loved every minute of it.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I got a friend of mine to start playing by lending him my copy... He's played only the first hour and loves it already![/quote]

Bull.
You gotta play it for at least 3 hours to like it. I was honestly falling asleep until the end of chapter 3 =)

If there's one thing I hate about this game, it's game over situations. They shouldn't exist in this game. It's dumb. =P

[quote name='kainzero']Bull.
You gotta play it for at least 3 hours to like it. I was honestly falling asleep until the end of chapter 3 =)

If there's one thing I hate about this game, it's game over situations. They shouldn't exist in this game. It's dumb. =P[/QUOTE]

No bull. I was expecting him to not enjoy the beginning but he cant stop talking about it with me.

Started playing yesterday and I am absolutely loving this game. I am a huge fan of the Phoenix Wright games and have played my share of adventure classics like Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle. What sets this game apart from the others is sheer emotion. Holding the DS like a book and being able to see the characters communicate side by side with their brilliant animation makes me feel like I am in the game. The pacing of the story and the introduction of the characters and the plot is well done. I'm having a hard time believing this is the same team that made Trace Memory (which was simply okay).

[quote name='kainzero']Bull.

If there's one thing I hate about this game, it's game over situations. They shouldn't exist in this game. It's dumb. =P[/QUOTE]

I think there's a reason for why they did it that way... they needed to give you consequences for you auctions.

The only thing I didn't like was that there was no skip text feature. Sometimes, if you did mess up, you'd have to go through whole conversations again and that made the game feel tedious.

I loved the atmosphere of the whole thing. It felt like I finally had a noir story in my hands. I hope CING makes a spiritual sequel. The story ended just right and doesn't need to be continued.

I just got this game for free from my brother and I can't wait to start it.
However I'm in the middle of case 3 on phoniex wright 2 and i want to finish that game and at least start trials and tribulations before I start this. My brother and his wife didn't like hotel dusk at all, but I don't think they got past the 2nd hour of gameplay.

I finally beat this game a few weeks ago. I bought it early last year but never really got around to playing it until recently. Such a good game, the story is great. The ending will surprise you.

I have two friends (one of them is a jerk who has had this game since I beat it last year) who both tell me they can't get into it.

It is sorely disappointing because both of them love adventure games as much as I do. They also share the love of the designers of these games, who have now moved on to new projects. In other words, we all like Psychonauts since it comes from Tim Shafer, and are looking forward to Insecticide from Mike Levine (both alums of Lucasarts).

I don't get why they don't like this game. That doesn't mean I don't understand why a person in general might not - it can be infuriatingly slow. I'm just puzzled as to why these two friends don't. I imagine it has something to do with the fact that this game A) isn't coming from the pedigree names we like (again, Shafer, Gilbert, etc), B) isn't really a "game" so much as it is interactive fiction, and C) isn't meant to be funny, and instead is somewhat realistic with gritty character portraits.

Oh well. Still an incredible game as far as I'm concerned.

[quote name='Vinny']I think there's a reason for why they did it that way... they needed to give you consequences for you auctions.[/quote]
I dunno man...

When I first played it, it was on a DS with a funked up touch screen. So that one part, when you have to lift the cabinet, I dropped the cabinet and the guy came in and kicked me out and I got game over. S

WTF? For real?

So then I had the hardest time trying to figure out what to do because I thought you weren't supposed to lift it...

[quote name='strell']I don't get why they don't like this game. That doesn't mean I don't understand why a person in general might not - it can be infuriatingly slow. I'm just puzzled as to why these two friends don't. I imagine it has something to do with the fact that this game A) isn't coming from the pedigree names we like (again, Shafer, Gilbert, etc), B) isn't really a "game" so much as it is interactive fiction, and C) isn't meant to be funny, and instead is somewhat realistic with gritty character portraits.[/quote]
It's very story-intensive with a lot less emphasis on actual puzzle solving and exploring. With the exception of that last chapter in that one room, it's really lacking in puzzles compared to the classic adventure games. A lot of it is simply walking around trying to trigger the story... and it can be really frustrating when you don't know where you're supposed to go.

[quote name='kainzero']
It's very story-intensive with a lot less emphasis on actual puzzle solving and exploring. With the exception of that last chapter in that one room, it's really lacking in puzzles compared to the classic adventure games. [/quote]

Right. I said that is why it's really more of interactive fiction than an actual game.

My post was more aimed at the fact that I have two friends who enjoy this genre who seemingly refuse to give the game a chance because the first part of it doesn't immediately pull you in, unless you are really jonesing to figure out what happened in Hyde's past.

I wasn't trying to subconsciously imply that my two friends represent everyone else. I was talking primarily about them.

[quote name='ThatDamnDave']How many hours did this game take some of you to complete it?[/QUOTE]

It took me about 18-20 hours with 4 game-over sequences. In the middle, I did start to think it was a little long. Probably because I wanted to get to the end and figure out what was happening.

[quote name='Strell']In other words, we all like Psychonauts since it comes from Tim Shafer, and are looking forward to Insecticide from Mike Levine (both alums of Lucasarts).[/QUOTE]

I had no idea that Insecticide was from Mike Levine. I looked for it at one of our local B&M stores this week and was sad when they didn't have it. It was probably the best looking game I previewed this week.

bread's done
Back