How do YOU decide which platform to pre-order/buy a game on???

xxtheycallmedxx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
With tons on great looking games being multi-platform (Madden 08,DMC4,Assassins Creed,GTA4,etc.) I curious how you CAGers decided which version to pre-order and why ?? Are you worried that the version you get may be considerd the "inferior" version or lack content that the other version has ?

I'll be keeping my pre-order of GT4 for 360 because of the future dl content.However,I'm not sure about madden 08 and AC.In any case I'd love to hear how/what factors in to yalls decision.....

If something's multiplatform, I wait for the reviews to determine which the better version is. Although, if something comes out on PC, it's a safe bet to buy that version most of the time since it almost invariably ends up being the best.

The main thing I look for is if either version has extra content, or if either version is inferior to the other. If not then I used to go with the 360 version because I could at least get achievement points. Not much, but it was something.

That has changed however. At the moment my 360 is broken, and I've been without one for a couple weeks now. On top of that I might not get it back until August. So I went down to the Gamestop and switched all my 360 preorders to the PS3 version. And from now on I'll be going with the PS3 version for all multiplatform games. I'm not going to have a game like Devil May Cry 4 come out, my console breaks, and I can't play it for a month.

Here's my order:
1. Price/Availability
2. Controls are the most important.
3. The more reliable console
4. Console/handheld I can download a game save from the internet off of usually has precedence (I have too many games and don't have the time to unlock everything in every game).
5. Who I want my money going to. Do I want Sony, MS, or Nintendo to get a small royalty of my money.

The quieter console has some reasoning behind which version I get at times. If there's a big difference in loading times and lots of slowdown (compared to zero), then that may affect my decision.

Online, whether a particular version looks slightly sharper than another, whether one is slightly brighter, rumble (I keep rumble off on all consoles), etc. make ZERO difference to me. If there's a little bit of slowdown (like MGS2 Substance on Xbox), that won't affect my decision at all. I rarely play online since I'm socially inept afterall.

Last generation, I usually bought the PS2 version, over the Xbox and GC version. PS2 because it was a reliable console, absolutely love the controller, and it was my main console anyway (which I'd take with me if I could only bring one console on vacation. I gotta take a console with me everywhere since I can't go a day without playing a video game). This generation, I will usually go for the PS3 or PS2 version, due to the same reasons I bought the PS2 version last gen, but under some circumstances that might not be the case (like if one platform gets is WAY before another, or if a game was heavily made for the PC, I'd probably go 360). Big reason I buy the PS3 version now is downloadable game saves, which is kind of the same reason I bought the PSP version of some multi-platform games before (like in Outrun 2 Coast to Coast, there's no way I'm going to sit there and unlock everything).
[quote name='Rei no Otaku']
That has changed however. At the moment my 360 is broken, and I've been without one for a couple weeks now. On top of that I might not get it back until August. So I went down to the Gamestop and switched all my 360 preorders to the PS3 version. And from now on I'll be going with the PS3 version for all multiplatform games. I'm not going to have a game like Devil May Cry 4 come out, my console breaks, and I can't play it for a month.[/QUOTE]At the beginning of last gen, I bought Xbox versions of most all multi-platform games. After having lots of issues with my Xbox (took me 20 tries to get games to work), I just got fed up and bought PS2 versions (since it would take one try to work, always). I was originally looking to get the 360 version of games, but once my 360 broke, I said forget it, bought a PS3, and now I will buy the PS3 version. Console realiability is very important to me, more so than getting a version that might be slightly brighter, have maybe 1-2 second faster loading, etc.

I don't have a choice, it is always Xbox 360. But even if something was multiplatform and I had a ps3 I would get the 360 version if it is online, all my friends have Xbox 360, I literally don't have a friend with a PS3. But if no online I would look to a review. If the difference was minimal I would go 360 for nerd points.

I normally wait for people's impressions and reviews. I rely more on a wide spread of people's impressions than reviews, since reviews tend to miss a lot of important details.

I don't have a PS3 so it's a no brainer. But from what I understand the PS3 isn't catching a break. Madden at 30 fps, no downloadable content for GTA IV. I could careless about achivements, they're useless to me. But the major factor is the extra stuff.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']I don't have a PS3 so it's a no brainer. But from what I understand the PS3 isn't catching a break. Madden at 30 fps, no downloadable content for GTA IV. I could careless about achivements, they're useless to me. But the major factor is the extra stuff.[/QUOTE]

yeah, it has been getting ports.

further evidence for my theory that it'll end up like the PSP...

Online and Controls. Graphics don't matter to me too much with certain Wii games, I.E Madden controls the best and plays the best on the Wii and is also online. If they released a game with superior control on the Wii but no online and it was a FPS, I would probably pick it for the 360. Before it was all about being online, and had the best graphics (XBox) but this gen It's a bit of a toss up depending on the features. I'm buying Tomb Raider Legend for the Wii over PS2 thanks to controls.

so its seems im not in this boat alone....well I guess I'll continue to feel my way thru "The best" versions of each game and hope I end up liking the choices I've made...but it seems my game breakdown for the next 6 months or so is :

360 65%
ps2 30%
wii 5% (I dont have siblings/many ppl that like to play wii)

Now if we were talking about SNES and Genesis I always went with the SNES. Everything just looked batter and sound better. But back then they didn't have a whole lot multi-platform games.

Oops, forgot what factors I look for. First thing is extra gameplay content, second is graphics. Sometimes, graphics are significant enough to make me want one version over another (like with RE4 on GC vs. PS2, even though that's moot with the Wii version.) Achievements are utterly irrelevant to me... I hardly think that a number that essentially measures how much time you've wasted on pointless "accomplishments" makes a version of a game better than another.

360 is the easy answer.. graphics, online, and achievements .. there hasnt been one multiplatform game that i would even consider getting on ps3 over 360..

360 vs pc is a diff story... lately i have gotten into games for windows games using the 360 controller... i rarely even use mouse+kb anymore ..only for old pc games

The PC version is almost always the best? I must be playing / trying the wrong games then. In my experience the PC gets hack-job ports that sometimes don't even have proper control cusomization, let alone running a decent framerates. If a game is designed for the PC then ported to the consoles, then sure. But I've really only seen garbage going the other way in the last 6 or 7 years. I've not touched anything on the PC since the Games for Windows branding hit. Maybe it's different now.

Between the 360 and the Wii? Well, there's not been much overlap as of yet. The first one for me is likely going to be Madden. I'm going to wait to see how the Wii controls work on Madden 08 before I deceide. I may just end up getting All-Pro 2K8 for the 360 and be done with it. ;)

one example is spiderman 3 probably being the best on 360... the pc version's requirements are f'ing ridiculous and runs like ass.. and i have a fairly decent rig...

i also cant wait for 2k8 for 360

[quote name='guyver2077']360 is the easy answer.. graphics, online, and achievements .. there hasnt been one multiplatform game that i would even consider getting on ps3 over 360..[/quote]

The only one I'd go with PS3 on over 360 right now is Oblivion. The PS3 version has an extra race and more content instead of paying extra via marketplace.

Of course, that'll change in a few months when the GOTY edition is out.

Whichever one is technically better (bought early into The Darkness, but luckily it wasn't anything too bad)

For a game like Oblivion GOTY, I'd probably go with the PS3 version because it will be getting so much play, and the PS3 is more reliable.

GTAIV will be decided by which one runs better. I have no interest extra content that will most likely cost a ton of points :whistle2:/

Also, what I have on one systems matters too. If Unreal 3 were launching on both systems at the same time, I'd still get it on the PS3, because I will be playing Halo3 on the 360 so much. Sounds weird, I know, but I like to keep things even across the board.

i might go with unreal on 360 over ps3 because the unreal engine has been proven to work good on 360 and the online should be way better...

hopefully thats a cross platform game with windows... pc vs 360 will be a tough one...

the user content seems nice to have on the ps3 version but for that i'd just get pc version

[quote name='guyver2077']i might go with unreal on 360 over ps3 because the unreal engine has been proven to work good on 360 and the online should be way better...

hopefully thats a cross platform game with windows... pc vs 360 will be a tough one...[/QUOTE]

If MS somehow allows user mods, then I will agree with the above statement.

Oh and Rainbow Vegas works fine on the PS3, thats the unreal engine too.

[quote name='seanr1221']If MS somehow allows user mods, then I will agree with the above statement.

Oh and Rainbow Vegas works fine on the PS3, thats the unreal engine too.[/quote]

true i heard rainbow doesnt look as good though... it's just arriving too late i think on ps3... even psp got it first

[quote name='guyver2077']true i heard rainbow doesnt look as good though... it's just arriving too late i think on ps3... even psp got it first[/QUOTE]

Odd, I read it looked identical. Don't know for sure though.

[quote name='guyver2077']true i heard rainbow doesnt look as good though... it's just arriving too late i think on ps3... even psp got it first[/QUOTE]
I played it on both the 360 and PS3. It looks exactly the same.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I played it on both the 360 and PS3. It looks exactly the same.[/quote]

ill have to check..i could of sworn ign review said there were differences

I read it looked a little better.

Of course I haven't played the 360 version so I couldnt say from experience. All I know is what reviews have said.

One area that Rainbow Six: Vegas on the PlayStation 3 does fall a little short on when compared to the other versions is with regards to visuals. It's a nice looking game to be sure, but the whole thing doesn't look quite as sharp as it could. Colors are a little duller and there isn't as much use of certain effects, like bloom lighting and such. Some folks may appreciate that aspect to a certain degree, but beyond that it still doesn't look quite as nice as what we've seen previously. Some texture work isn't quite as sharp, and the characters aren't as detailed as what's found in the 360 release, especially in the faces. Weapons that have been dropped pop in and out of view as you approach and walk away when they're but a mere 50 feet or so away.

Also, as we've mentioned in one of our last previews of the game, there's a weird issue when running the title in 1080i as everything, including the menus, look very blurry. It's pretty sharp when played at 720p, which leads us to believe that at 1080i the game is still rendering at 720p and then upscaling the output image to 1080i, but poorly. So by all means, choose custom resolution support and turn off 1080i when playing the game - you'll be very happy you did.

[quote name='guyver2077']One area that Rainbow Six: Vegas on the PlayStation 3 does fall a little short on when compared to the other versions is with regards to visuals. It's a nice looking game to be sure, but the whole thing doesn't look quite as sharp as it could. Colors are a little duller and there isn't as much use of certain effects, like bloom lighting and such. Some folks may appreciate that aspect to a certain degree, but beyond that it still doesn't look quite as nice as what we've seen previously. Some texture work isn't quite as sharp, and the characters aren't as detailed as what's found in the 360 release, especially in the faces. Weapons that have been dropped pop in and out of view as you approach and walk away when they're but a mere 50 feet or so away.

Also, as we've mentioned in one of our last previews of the game, there's a weird issue when running the title in 1080i as everything, including the menus, look very blurry. It's pretty sharp when played at 720p, which leads us to believe that at 1080i the game is still rendering at 720p and then upscaling the output image to 1080i, but poorly. So by all means, choose custom resolution support and turn off 1080i when playing the game - you'll be very happy you did.[/QUOTE]

6 free maps makes up for it.

[quote name='Apossum']6 free maps makes up for it.[/quote]Aren't those all available for free on the 360 now too? I just downloaded 2 map packs the other day for free, but haven't played any of them. ;)

[quote name='daroga']Aren't those all available for free on the 360 now too? I just downloaded 2 map packs the other day for free, but haven't played any of them. ;)[/QUOTE]

they weren't always free I don't think.

alright, fine. it's over. Sony is finished.

[quote name='Apossum']they weren't always free I don't think.

alright, fine. it's over. Sony is finished.[/quote]Yup. The nails are in the coffin. Done.

But you're right, I think the older pack was $10 for a long while and then once the PS3 version hit that one went cheap as well as the second one hitting for free.

I need to play that game sometime. It just sits on my shelf, being awesome but unplayed beyond the 3rd level.

Price and controller. I won't buy a Tony Hawk game for Gamecube for example since it works better on PS2 or XBox but I bought NBA 2K3 for Gamecube because it was $9.99 when it was $30+ on PS2 and XBox.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Price and controller. I won't buy a Tony Hawk game for Gamecube for example since it works better on PS2 or XBox but I bought NBA 2K3 for Gamecube because it was $9.99 when it was $30+ on PS2 and XBox.[/quote]

haha i think i jumped on that toys r us deal years ago...

In terms of Unreal, I'm guessing 360 will be the inferior one unless they screw up the PS3 version somehow. PS3 version is already confirmed to support keyboard and mouse, so if you dont like the PS3 controller you have that.

Also user mods which is a plus any way you put it.

Previous generation - Usually Xbox simply because it tended to have better graphics. Plus things like sometimes having custom soundtracks (Burnout 3 and Revenge for example) and a good online system were pluses. Plus my original Xbox (and thus far my 360) was bullet proof. It's been to Iraq and back, had it's internal power supply blown up by someone plugging it into a 220v outlet, original DVD drive still runs fine... I think it's going to outlast my Genesis.

Now - Well, all I have is my 360 so I guess that's what I buy stuff for.

Not that I play many multiplatform games anyhow. I mean, today I played Golden Axe on the 360, Forza 2 on the 360 and Ace Combat Zero on the PS2.

yea last generation i think the only game i picked up for ps2 instead of xbox was the first fight night because it had online play...

after that i didnt buy any multiplaform game for ps2 again..

i also picked up soul calibur 2 for gc first and then later for xbox...

Yeah, but Soul Calibur on GC was a no brainer. We all know Link kicks all kinds of ass. Thus one of my reasons for picking games over other platforms. Content. I also factor in price. I have yet to find a controller I loathe. So when it comes to that, I usually don't care, unless it really does not work on a specific controller for whatever reason. So I don't usually care what controller I am playing it with. Then again, this time around that might be out the window.

I think once I get my ps3 I'll get most multiplatforms on that. At this point the Dualshock style of controller is just so familier to me. I have lots of trouble with the bumpers on the 360 pad, mostly because I always used my index finger for both r1r2 l1l2 on the psx pads.

Additionally, I don't really trust my 360 hardware as much as I did with most systems in the past. I don't want it dying on me again one day and stuck with a library I can't touch.

Another factor is players. If i know a group of my XBL friends will be getting a title, I'll most likely get it for that system if it appeals to me so I can play with them. The same goes the other way around.

Thanks for posting that Guyver.

I still have high hopes for UT3. I don't think cliffy will let this one slip ;) User mods, to me atleast, is huge.

And daroga, seriously name the time and place and we can bust out some co-op. ;)

bread's done
Back