How do you feel about Downloadable games? PSN/XBLA etc.

nystate

CAGiversary!
Feedback
46 (100%)
I played the demo of Shank. I loved it by the way. I keep hearing about games like Lara Croft: GoL, DeathSpank , Limbo, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, Hydrophobia, Journey etc, etc. Those are some serious games. I think that if it was last gen those games would have gotten a full retail release. Art house games like ICO. Quirky RPG boardgames like Culdcept http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culdcept or even smaller experimental games Gladius
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladius for example. Nowadays, those types of games get online releases only. I think its good.

I think it's good because a gamer like me doesn't always wanna play the big budget action extravaganza that you have been beat over the head with with ads everytime you go to a gaming site or open up a gaming mag. *ahem* COD: Black OPS. I loved Inglorious Basterds but I liked Jackie Brown too. Nintendo proved that there are all types of gamers I think there are all types of games as well.

I have been surprised how much enjoyment you can get out of a 10-25 dollar game. I think that games are just going to get more and more expensive to make and buy. $100 games? In a generations or two. But maybe if more games were released digitally you could dl them for cheaper than buying online or maybe get a complete game retail disc and get the rest via DL kinda like how Fallout 3 is. I'm not talking about 2/3 of a game just a shorter 15 hr game for something like $40 bucks and you can buy the rest (if you desire for 15-20 dollars) Think RDR.
Say you play buy and the game up to the point in which John Marston dies. (it would still be a great game.) Then opt to buy the rest when his son grows up to exact revenge for about $15.
That extra content plus Rockstar could include some map packs, multiplayer character skins and co-op modes Then it would be well worth $20 heck even $30. It'll sell like hotcakes.

What do you guys think?

I prefer the retail releases on physical media because 1) if I get sick of the game I can trade it in someplace and get credit/money for it and 2) anything downloadable over $5 is a fuckin' ripoff unless it adds SUBSTANTIAL amounts of gameplay to something I already own on a physical format.

Quite a few people might be willing to shell out $10 or more for a downloadable game, I AM NOT.

[quote name='nystate']Think RDR.
Say you play buy and the game up to the point in which John Marston dies. (it would still be a great game.) Then opt to buy the rest when his son grows up to exact revenge for about $15.
[/QUOTE]
So basically I should pay for the ending to the game? :whistle2:k

I have never, and will never, purchase ANY DLC for a game. On Steam, I have purchased a few games but never over $5 and it's a really short list. My stance is I'll not feed that which I loathe, since the more digital distribution makes the less publishers will be inclined to release physical product. The day I can only purchase something I can't hold is the day I quit gaming.

I have to really really really like the game and want to *own it*.

For me, it's hard to buy a download games just to play it once.

I love downloadable games, I've got about 70 xbla games I think, and a handful on the Wii. Some of the games I've picked up for $5 on xbla (Duel of the Planewalkers, Duke Nukem 3d etc) have been great. Also stuff like Ikaruga and Scott Pilgrim were well worth it.

I'm not that big into paying for DLC for retail games, I've bought a few bits and pieces but not much. Mostly to get me more cheesemints in games.

XBLA/PSN games are one of the best things about this gen. The pricing has really gotten fucked up, but games like Castle Crashers, Scott Pilgrim, BC Rearmed, etc would simply not exist if not for downloadable games.

I'm really glad we have the choice to buy smaller games. I just don't agree with reviewers bloating their scores up simply because the game is affordable.

Price shouldn't factor into praise.

[quote name='usickenme']I have to really really really like the game and want to *own it*.

For me, it's hard to buy a download games just to play it once.[/QUOTE]

I could see that- if they were priced unfairly.$5-$15 for a game is pretty good(That's right around the cost of a rental for a full game). If you just want a taste, play the demo. Companies like The Behemoth would go out of business if people didn't purchase them and just rented them.

I personally love downloadable games because they're inexpensive yet have alot of work put into them.I almost always have to buy a new 4000 microsoft point card every 2 months because of all the good games that come out.Can't wait for Plants vs Zombies,Super Meat Boy, Comic Jumper, and Battleblock Theater.

Eventually I think it will get to a point where we can stream games and play them in real time with no lag instead of buying hard copies,but we're years away from that.

I'll purchase downloadable games if I have no choice. Like many others, I prefer having a physical copy when it comes to video games (and movies).

I however do like the choice of smaller, "indie-esque" type games that I can enjoy in short spurts of time. Plus it's easier on the digital wallet when I can get 6+ different downloadable games with completely different gameplay experiences with sometimes more replay value than I can with 1 $60 retail disc game.

Obviously, I'm making generalizations (regarding gameplay time and replay value), but as a gamer, a full-time worker, and consumer, I love gaming but don't always have the time or money to play.

I'm fine with them for $10-15. More than that and I'm opposed as I want the trade/re-sell option. But for $10-15 or less it's worth it if it's a good game and I only play through it once.

I love the DL games for those smaller cheaper games. For other bigger titles, I'm going to need a physical copy for them. I really don't like downloadable titles that are priced at 14.99, I just feel like that's too high for any downloadable game.

I try to avoid it because to me its real money getting virtual items. There is no way to insure your purchases something can happen to your account at any moment with you having no control over it. Ive spent like 60 bucks on PSN so far and id like to keep it low. I can't imagine how many guys on xbox live and PSN invest over 200.00 or so and end up with an account ban for what ever reason would make me cry.

[quote name='Jodou']My stance is I'll not feed that which I loathe, since the more digital distribution makes the less publishers will be inclined to release physical product. The day I can only purchase something I can't hold is the day I quit gaming.[/QUOTE]
:applause::applause: The day consoles go all digital distribution with no physical copies of games is the day I quit buying newer stuff and only play the older consoles I have(Genesis, SNES, PS1, PS2).

But what if a good portion of the games are glitchy bugfests and/or they're repetitive and suck? Moreover, what if they still price the download only games at $40-60 AND they suck or are glitchy?

Then what? Trade them in? Oops. Sorry, you can't cuz you only have the files on your system and no physical media to resell.

If you're asking what I'd do if the future was a bunch of shitty games -- well I'd stop gaming.

Whether they are downloadable or not doesn't really factor into this equation for me. I never buy shitty games to trade back in and if I lost the ability to it's not like it would hurt my income substantially whatsoever.

Some of the best value in gaming that I've experienced are downloadable games. 50% off sales on Critter Crunch and Wipeout HD, for example.

[quote name='2DMention']I buy DL games if there's no other option for the game.

I'm not a fan of DLC either, unless it's Rock Band.[/QUOTE]

I love DLC if it's done right. Meaning true expansions that add to the game, and not crap like extra costumes, weapons etc. that would have been included as unlockables in prior generations.

But I love being able to get more gameplay out of games like Oblivion, Fallout, Mass Effect etc. from DLC expansions.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I love DLC if it's done right. Meaning true expansions that add to the game, and not crap like extra costumes, weapons etc. that would have been included as unlockables in prior generations.[/QUOTE]
Disc Locked Content FTL, amirite?!

[quote name='Master Troll']So basically I should pay for the ending to the game? :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]
No sir. If the game
ended when you got killed that would have been the end of the game, right? I felt that the ending fit. Gametrailers spoiled the ending of the game in their vid review, so I already knew the ending. But they didn't tell about the part in which your son comes back to avenge your death some years later.
That part you would have to pay for. The mission could have been called 'A dish Best served cold...' Take Fallout 3. After the end of the game, continue on in 'Broken Steel' if you wanted to. Or you just opt not buy the DLC and stay with the original ending.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dmaul1114']I love DLC if it's done right. Meaning true expansions that add to the game, and not crap like extra costumes, weapons etc. that would have been included as unlockables in prior generations.

But I love being able to get more gameplay out of games like Oblivion, Fallout, Mass Effect etc. from DLC expansions.[/QUOTE]

This man speaks the truth, Fallout 3 DLC good or bad, gave you the option to play new stuff if in the same game, if you wanted to. And 'Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City' was like visiting an old friend. It's fun to just visit and hang out once and a while.

I have a ton of PSN games, and a lot are very very good. Albeit I got many of them for free with SonyRewards.com PSN e-vouchers (when they had them). Many start out too expensive, but end up at just the right amount.

Games like Zen Pinball, Magic Orbz, Revenge of the Wounded Dragons, Critter Crunch, etc. are really great games; well worth the money.

I really really hope that these games will be compatible with future generations of consoles; at least it will probably be easier to make them work on subsequent iterations of the same console, since there is no physical media limitation.

I don't really have a problem with downloadable games. I think they have a place, especially for smaller developers and for getting titles released that would have never seen the light of day in the United States.

One example is Sin and Punishment. I really didn't mind paying for it on the Virtual Console because it was never coming to the US any other way and I got to play a fun game. I think you could make the case that the performance of the virtual console game played a part in Nintendo releasing the Wii sequel in the US.

I was also happy to pay for Triggerheart Exelica on XBLA. I love shooters and I don't think this one would have ever been released here otherwise.

When it comes to other games, like Mega Man 10, Perfect Dark (remake), Mushroom Wars, Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess, Flower or Fat Princess I think these games are fine because they are lots of fun and would otherwise not be able to see a retail release. I also think re-releasing older games such as Final Fantasy VII as downloadable titles is great because it allows a whole new audience the opportunity to play a really solid title.

While I'm not one who buys a lot of DLC add-ons, I think it can be done right if and only if it extends the life of the game and if I think the added content is worth the cost. Stuff that's already on the disk and needs to be "unlocked" by paying the publisher money for something that is on the disk is a bunch of bs. I was ok for paying for the Fat Roles expansion for Fat Princess because it added a lot of content at a reasonable price, it added new classes and made the game even more fun. I also enjoyed the free DLC for Alan Wake and it got me interested enough to want to buy the next episode. Otherwise, I wouldn't even have considered it.

I think if developers want to get me to buy DLC episodes, they should include a free one like Alan Wake. Otherwise I have no idea what I'm buying, so I'll just ignore it entirely.

There have been plenty of great downloadable titles that are well worth their price. I have sunk hours and hours into Pixel Junk Monsters and Toy Soldiers. As far as DLC goes, I certainly like having the option to download add-ons than not having it. And if I feel like a piece of DLC isn't worth it, I can easily make the decision not to buy it.

I personally love the downloadable games for XBLA! My only issue is not having the physical box for the games. My collection of XBLA games has grown recently, and honestly I forget that I even have certain games at this point. Boxes remind me, "hey I own this game". But I still love having the option and ability to buy arcade games. It's a nice change of pace from the big budget $60 games.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']My biggest fear with XBLA titles is that MS will somehow not let them carry over to the next console.[/QUOTE]

I'm concerned about this also... I know that I'm going to want to play some of these games (ie Castle Crashers) again in the future, but how can I know that MS/Sony won't make us repurchase them (or worse, incompatable). I hope that the era of endless re-releases is on the way out the door.

Unfortunately I think DLC and Down loadable games is the way of the future. Yeah some games are good but once I'm done with the game I have no way of recouping any money.

I hate this new trend on XBLA/PSN of not having online co-op for games with multiplayer options even though I have to be online to buy the game. For people like me with no physical friends, it really sucks and causes me to not even consider buying them, even if they eventually go on sale.

I dislike certain DLC and downloadable games. Take RE 5 for example. The DLC in this game was so screwed up. They had launched the game and then announced the DLC with it. Then you go to download it and its like 100kb file which means the DLC in already in the game and you are buying a code to unlock it. This is not right.

Downloadable games suck, too. You don't actually own the game so selling/lending is not possible. That is a BIG factor for me. Also, these games hardly EVER go on sale. I don't have time to check everyday to see what's on sale from one retailer (PSN). Monopolies are not good. If the next gen consoles are digital downloads only, that's the end for me.

I'm going to side with the group of kids who are all for non-physical games. The thing is, with the current business model that's implemented, I wouldn't be for it. For one, once you purchase the game, you cannot return it, can you? They need to have a 10-15 day trial. I suppose demos would come into play for that though. Price drops need to occur every 6 months or so. If I'm at a friends house, allow a convenient way to sign in and play my own downloadable games. Game saves need to be transferable as well. They also need a virtual marketplace, where we can sell our license keys. Digital games = Lower prices. It should be this way.

The reason I cannot stand physical media is because once they're destroyed, that's it. I can't re-retrieve it. If somebody breaks into my house (which would be the 3rd time :/), my Apartment insurance wouldn't cover it. They take up way to much room as well and during a move, they're a pain. I don't have to worry about my cats damaging them or how my friends or I might spill something on them during a crazy party.

I'm not an advocate of stealing...but being completely honest, I've never rented or owned any CD or DVD. I've been completely happy and would actually be somewhat upset if a digitized version didn't exist. Can you imagine changing CD's everytime I wanted to listen to a different song? That would be hell.

This generation of gaming has pretty much sucked. Some reason people think video games should be super realistic. That is not the case.

With XBLA they go back to what makes games fun, the game play and not just realistic (boring) graphics. I would rather have a disk that I could sell back once I beat the game, but really for $10 who cares. $10 is throw away money anyways. Inexpensive fun games is always a good thing, and without XBLA I would have sold my XBox years ago.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']My biggest fear with XBLA titles is that MS will somehow not let them carry over to the next console.[/QUOTE]

If I was a betting man, I would bet that the next MS system won't allow you to play these games. You know sure as hell that the publishers and MS will want you to re-buy these games.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I'm really glad we have the choice to buy smaller games. [/QUOTE]

Having smaller games is a good thing. But for the most part they are overpriced. I'm willing to pay up to $10, but not very often. Buying anything $15 - $20 or more, is just plain stupid

I have only bought a few XBLA games because I have a problem with the XBLA model. The dl only pc games I've bought, I can play on my laptop, pc, wife's pc, son's pc, work pc (you get the point). And even then, I've never paid more than $10 for a game. I can only play a XBLA game on my console and can't loan them out to friends or a second console. Yes, I can play on another console by moving my gamertag, but that is a pain.

I am getting used to DLing games now. I never used to, but after playing the demos on PSN it getts kinda habit forming to just go get the game you want when you want.
As long as when I need to get a new console, i can still access what I already bought

Downloadable games have their up and down sides.

They're good because it gives a chance for smaller devs to make games that could never be full retail, or give a chance for companies to take risks on new ideas with less money on the line if it fails. The bad starts when developers start leaving small stuff out of games because they know they can make money from it on launch day rather than just include it on the damn game. (i'm not talking about add-ons that are months after the game is released) Also it sucks because single player games with no online or multiplayer aspect can't be sold once you beat them.

I'm fine with dlc as long as full retail games stay in physical media.

I buy a lot of game off the PSN for my PSP the only thing is I only have a 2GB Memory card so if I want a new game that say 1.3 GB I have to delete my old games which sucks and you can only download the games 5 times I think. So for me its more like paying for a rental. Of course I should just go buy a couple of new cards.

[quote name='Riyonuk']I'm going to side with the group of kids who are all for non-physical games. The thing is, with the current business model that's implemented, I wouldn't be for it. For one, once you purchase the game, you cannot return it, can you? They need to have a 10-15 day trial. I suppose demos would come into play for that though. Price drops need to occur every 6 months or so. If I'm at a friends house, allow a convenient way to sign in and play my own downloadable games. Game saves need to be transferable as well. They also need a virtual marketplace, where we can sell our license keys. Digital games = Lower prices. It should be this way.

The reason I cannot stand physical media is because once they're destroyed, that's it. I can't re-retrieve it. If somebody breaks into my house (which would be the 3rd time :/), my Apartment insurance wouldn't cover it. They take up way to much room as well and during a move, they're a pain. I don't have to worry about my cats damaging them or how my friends or I might spill something on them during a crazy party.

I'm not an advocate of stealing...but being completely honest, I've never rented or owned any CD or DVD. I've been completely happy and would actually be somewhat upset if a digitized version didn't exist. Can you imagine changing CD's everytime I wanted to listen to a different song? That would be hell.[/QUOTE]
First of all, I don't see companies going lower than $40 for downloadable games if a future gen were all digital downloads only and some companies I imagine would keep the $50-60 pricetag for games. If they go all DD, they've got you by the balls, unless you'd be willing like me to give up gaming at that point.

As for your own problems there with your friends, your cats and your place getting broken into and your stuff stolen I have a solution or two.

Move to a better place, get better friends who aren't such morons during a 'crazy party' and get the frickin' cats de-clawed or get them a fuckin' scratching post so they stop using your games as one. There ya go, all problems solved.

Not trying to be a smartass or anything like that, but these are problems that can be solved by taking appropriate actions.

That reminds me I have some Xbox games I lent a buddy of mine two weeks ago that I better go check on.:bomb:

[quote name='Riyonuk']I'm going to side with the group of kids who are all for non-physical games. The thing is, with the current business model that's implemented, I wouldn't be for it. For one, once you purchase the game, you cannot return it, can you? They need to have a 10-15 day trial. I suppose demos would come into play for that though. Price drops need to occur every 6 months or so. If I'm at a friends house, allow a convenient way to sign in and play my own downloadable games. Game saves need to be transferable as well. They also need a virtual marketplace, where we can sell our license keys. Digital games = Lower prices. It should be this way.

I'm not an advocate of stealing...but being completely honest, I've never rented or owned any CD or DVD. I've been completely happy and would actually be somewhat upset if a digitized version didn't exist. Can you imagine changing CD's everytime I wanted to listen to a different song? That would be hell.[/QUOTE]
No offense meant here, but you need better friends who aren't such idiots at a party, to get the cats de-clawed(or get them a scratching post) and to move someplace different if your place keeps getting broken into.

It's a tough call...I like the convenience of an all digital future but I loathe the fact that I won't be able to re-sell anything. I used to like looking at a shelf of games but now it just seems like unnecessary clutter. I have everything put away in a cabinet. I can also understand why some people love the limited edition stuff but I think for the most part it's a waste of money and the "extras" just take up space. I don't need a bobble head or a comic book to remind me I enjoyed a game.

The games I do have I keep mint...so if I want to play it, I know it will work and if I want to re-sell it I can get top dollar. It would be nice with the future of digital games, there were new rules that allowed trading or re-selling but it seems as publishers already loathe the used game market so I doubt it will happen. I also wouldn't mind so much if I knew I'd be carrying all of my content from console to console but like most have said who the heck knows if that will happen.

Were kind of in the middle of the transition now so I'm assuming there will be a rocky period before it all gets smoothed out.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']No offense meant here, but you need better friends who aren't such idiots at a party, to get the cats de-clawed(or get them a scratching post) and to move someplace different if your place keeps getting broken into.[/QUOTE]

>No offense. Your friends are idiots. :/

No no no, it wasn't meant as an "This happens to me everyday", just posing some simple scenarios is all. All of this has happened more than once though. If I had no friends that came over, lived by myself and had tons of disposable income, I suppose physical media would be best. I still don't like that I have to get up and change my games, but maybe it's more of a wish, rather than a function I couldn't live without.

The market for iTunes downloads and whatnot (not sure how that type of media works) has survived, so I think for games, it could be a lot better. Music has gone the digital way with iTunes. Videos have gone the digital way with Netflix. It's only a matter of time before Video Games are next. Should I need to fight the masses to get Halo: Reach tonight? Nope, but alas I'm forced to (even if it is reserved).

[quote name='Riyonuk']>No offense. Your friends are idiots. :/

No no no, it wasn't meant as an "This happens to me everyday", just posing some simple scenarios is all. All of this has happened more than once though. If I had no friends that came over, lived by myself and had tons of disposable income, I suppose physical media would be best. I still don't like that I have to get up and change my games, but maybe it's more of a wish, rather than a function I couldn't live without.

The market for iTunes downloads and whatnot (not sure how that type of media works) has survived, so I think for games, it could be a lot better. Music has gone the digital way with iTunes. Videos have gone the digital way with Netflix. It's only a matter of time before Video Games are next. Should I need to fight the masses to get Halo: Reach tonight? Nope, but alas I'm forced to (even if it is reserved).[/QUOTE]
Sorry if it came off as harsh, but if I knew I was having a party and I knew that games had gotten trashed before during one I would lock up everything that I didn't want getting messed up.

As for me though, unless prices come down to a reasonable level for decent high speed internet it would take me 12 hours or more to try and download just 3-4gb's on my 768kbps DSL I have.

But there's no way in frickin' hell I'm going to pay $45 a month for cable internet when I'd have to be downloading full games to my HDD.

That, of course, brings me to the other expense of an all digital download console(besides the overpriced games you can't resell), that being having a huge enough hard drive to keep said games on.

I have never modified any of my consoles I've had, not even the PS3, even though you can put in your own ginormous HDD if you want to. Why? Because I've never needed to, though some of the files you have to install from some PS3 games now are pretty damn big(4-5gigs).

Any added expenses to me outside of buying the console and the games=no buy for me.

bread's done
Back