Humble Bundle Thread

"More GAMES Coming soon"

I guess I forgot Freedom Force pack, since many bought it?
V8jO271.gif

Meh additions. All I'm missing is Railroad Tycoon 3, so overall I'm glad I got Duke Nukem Forever and NBA 2k16 from traders. 

My reaction to Freedom Force (original) + FF: Third Reich in this 2K Bundle as the Unlocks:

NWrwEI.gif
This is because you don't buy anything on Steam and probably have more retail discs than digital games. You're like a Steam street urchin.

I've had Freedom Force since 2011 when it was $0.90 or so for cheap Steam gift copies, so these unlocks were terrible for me. The Bureau is some cheap repeat, too. This bundle was basically good for bundling a bunch of junk (like vanilla goddamn Civ V and BL TPS) in with a new game to justify the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is because you don't buy anything on Steam and probably have more retail discs than digital games. You're like a Steam street urchin.

I've had Freedom Force since 2011 when it was $0.90 or so for cheap Steam gift copies, so these unlocks were terrible for me. The Bureau is some cheap repeat, too. This bundle was basically good for bundling a bunch of junk (like vanilla goddamn Civ V and BL TPS) in with a new game to justify the price.
I namely bought this 2K bundle for NBA 2K16 (the real deal in this bundle, IMHO) and the Mafia 2 Pack (namely for the DLC's, since I only had the base-game).

Anything else on top here for me (that I didn't own) is just gravy on top.

Getting FF original + FF vs. T3R is great to get away from my retail discs here. This here makes up for the horrible Direct2Drive communication on their last July 4th Sale where "Buy one 2K game get FF original free", as I probably would've basically ended-up w/ extra keys here to somehow get rid.

Oh, I was also missing Railroad Tycoon 3 - so, I guess there's that too...

I namely bought this 2K bundle for NBA 2K16 (the real deal in this bundle, IMHO) and the Mafia 2 Pack (namely for the DLC's, since I only had the base-game).

Getting FF original + FF vs. T3R is great to get away from my retail discs here. This here makes up for the horrible Direct2Drive communication on their last July 4th Sale where "Buy one 2K game get FF original free", as I probably would've basically ended-up w/ extra keys here to somehow get rid.

Oh, I was also missing Railroad Tycoon 3 - so, I guess there's that too...
Nobody cares, Steam street urchin

Getting FF original + FF vs. T3R is great to get away from my retail discs here.
They really should have called this the old-ass 2K bundle because it's mostly old-ass games that nobody's really going back to play again anyway. I had retail discs for Freedom Force and Third Reich too, ones that I got at Big Lots! years ago, around the same time I played those games. I've since sold those discs to Half Price Books. They're great games, but like Marvel Ultimate Alliance, who's going back to play Freedom Force now?!

Sure, a few people got extra Mafia II DLCs, but they're not that great to begin with, and, once again, are you reinstalling Mafia II to play it for this reason?

If you don't have the stuff in the $1 tier or Civ V or The Bureau by now, you just haven't been paying attention.

If you're just in this for the +1s, I guess you can ignore my rant (you probably already have), but I'm one of those people who don't quite understand that mentality.

Didn't you just sort of defend those Atari thingamabobs in the Steam thread?
Yeah, pretty much. The distinction is that I'd actually screw around with something like that if I had it. My suspicion is that a lot of people here are just +1ing a lot of this old 2K stuff and don't even get me started about that Sega bundle BS just had. Aside from a few special individuals, I don't see people playing Ecco The Dolphin on Steam in 2016. Personally, I would be a little tempted to play the MUA games if I had never played them before on Steam, and I would be similarly tempted to play Freedom Force, but this is coming from MysterD, who clearly already had copies of the Freedom Force games from retail and every opportunity to play them in the past. It's also not to say that I would never play an old-ass game, but let's not start excusing Humble for half-assed bundles by making the argument that having two copies of a game is better than one.

On another note, Humble RPG book bundle this week is pretty great:

PMgQp0w.png

I'm going semi-full-moran on this one (not selling plasma for jewelry to decorate my goth outfits), because this is a fantastic game and I'm nerdily excited about the idea of having the new rules and all of the clanbooks. What would be even better is if they added these next week (https://www.goodreads.com/series/41268-vampire-the-masquerade-clan-novels. It won't happen, but it'd be great.

They're great games, but like Marvel Ultimate Alliance, who's going back to play Freedom Force now?!
What..? That comparison makes no sense, a lot more people would play MUA than Freedom Force these days. I plan on playing it on steam when the price is right and if Activision patches the games (which is a longshot, but steam versions have too many bugs atm).

What..? That comparison makes no sense, a lot more people would play MUA than Freedom Force these days. I plan on playing it on steam when the price is right and if Activision patches the games (which is a longshot, but steam versions have too many bugs atm).
Well, I'll concede that it's much more likely that PC people may not have played the MUA games because they haven't been released on PC previously. They are both superhero-themed ARPGs, so I don't think it's a wholly-absurd comparison.

Also, yeah, definitely at least wait for the pack to go on sale next summer for $30 before you get these. The MUA games are fun, but you know damn well nothing's ever going to be patched, so you may as well at least wait for that 50% off "sale."

Well, I'll concede that it's much more likely that PC people may not have played the MUA games because they haven't been released on PC previously. They are both superhero-themed ARPGs, so I don't think it's a wholly-absurd comparison.

Also, yeah, definitely at least wait for the pack to go on sale next summer for $30 before you get these. The MUA games are fun, but you know damn well nothing's ever going to be patched, so you may as well at least wait for that 50% off "sale."
MUA1 was on PC before, but not MUA2. MUA is based on the marvel universe, Freedom Force isn't in the same league when it comes to popularity. Plus people will be far more likely to play it now due to all of the Marvel movies that have been coming out in recent years.. Freedom Force is very niche in comparison.

They really should have called this the old-ass 2K bundle because it's mostly old-ass games that nobody's really going back to play again anyway. I had retail discs for Freedom Force and Third Reich too, ones that I got at Big Lots! years ago, around the same time I played those games. I've since sold those discs to Half Price Books. They're great games, but like Marvel Ultimate Alliance, who's going back to play Freedom Force now?!

Sure, a few people got extra Mafia II DLCs, but they're not that great to begin with, and, once again, are you reinstalling Mafia II to play it for this reason?

If you don't have the stuff in the $1 tier or Civ V or The Bureau by now, you just haven't been paying attention.

If you're just in this for the +1s, I guess you can ignore my rant (you probably already have), but I'm one of those people who don't quite understand that mentality.
Yes, Mafia 2 got reinstalled for me b/c of the DLC's.

And yes, I installed the Steam-version of Freedom Force Vs. T3R b/c I actually never finished it. Other games I really wanted to play got in my way, as usual - so it never got finished.

Though, as you could've guessed - who the hell knows when I'll get to these since I'm still mostly playing WWE 2K16, Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 right now. [shrug]

Plus - I also have GTA5, SoM GOTY, Dreamfall Chapters and many other titles (new and old) waiting in the wings in the grand old backlog.

If you like basketball & the NBA 2K series, I think NBA 2K16 is the real star of this bundle.

This game alone has NOT even been before $10, according to ITAD:

https://isthereanydeal.com/#/page:game/info?plain=nbaiikivi

MUA1 was on PC before, but not MUA2. MUA is based on the marvel universe, Freedom Force isn't in the same league when it comes to popularity. Plus people will be far more likely to play it now due to all of the Marvel movies that have been coming out in recent years.. Freedom Force is very niche in comparison.
Ugh, fuzzy memory, apparently. I didn't remember MUA being on PC. But, yes, it stands to reason that the surge in Marvel-related TV, streaming, and motion-picture releases would produce a concomitant uptick in interest in these.

But dat $60. . . ?!

MysterDetailed response
I thought I mentioned something about special cases. . . . maybe that was in another thread.

This week has been one long blur to me. It's tough qualifying for the Olympics in forum posting.

Wraith: the Oblivion or get out!
Don't make me go all Werewolf: The Apocalypse on your ass!

Plus people will be far more likely to play it now due to all of the Marvel movies that have been coming out in recent years..
i kinda know the answer already but lemme ask, why the fuck would anyone pay either $40/$60 for these games when there's already a "F2P" version of the game out there that is arguably better in most aspects and get constant updates? seems like greedy cash grab to me.

i kinda know the answer already but lemme ask, why the fuck would anyone pay either $40/$60 for these games when there's already a "F2P" version of the game out there that is arguably better in most aspects and get constant updates? seems like greedy cash grab to me.
Nailed it.

But seriously it probably depends on your feelings about F2P MMOs. I've piddled around with that Marvel Heroes game a little, certainly not as much as the folks who post the periodic giveaway codes, and it feels very grindy in that "traditional MMO" sense of the term. If you like bro-nighting it or doing PUGs, then it's probably a good time, but the single-player content doesn't exactly suck you in. Then again, YMMV--if you're a HUGE Marvel nerd, maybe you would feel more invested in this game. The MUA games, as I recall, had pretty decent story modes that were fun and occasionally challenging, but the price on these things, given their age, is completely ridiculous. As someone said in one of these threads recently, though, Activision gonna Activision.

If you bought the August Monthly Bundle.... surprise! On your key redemption page you'll find a limited time sale for the Black Ops III upgrade-to-full-game for $14.85.

I'm taking a chance this month, but if the games are somewhat meh this is the month i'm cancelling. I'm also giving away the BLOPs key very likely.

I'm taking a chance this month, but if the games are somewhat meh this is the month i'm cancelling. I'm also giving away the BLOPs key very likely.
Early dibs on that Black Ops multiplayer key :whistle2: But yeah, the quality of the bundles has dipped in terms of headliners fairly considerably. It started off okay, got better and after the one with Mad Max as the headliner the quality took a noticeable hit. ARK was probably the strongest offering in terms of game value, while Mad Max was also a good one too.

[customspoiler=Cagbros2K][customspoiler="The Darkness II"]Claimed / Claimed[/customspoiler][customspoiler="Duke Nukem Forever"]Claimed[/customspoiler][customspoiler="Sid Meier" s Civilization V']Claimed[/customspoiler][customspoiler="The Bureau: XCOM Declassified"]Claimed / Claimed[/customspoiler][customspoiler=Bioshock]Claimed[/customspoiler][/customspoiler]

Probably old news but I just noticed that they have different plans for the monthly subscription now:

Recurring 1 month plan = $12/month

Recurring 3 month plan = $11.67/month

Recurring 6 month plan = $11.17/month

Recurring 12 month plan = $11/month

I'm guessing that "Flexible subscription—cancel anytime" only applies at the end of the 1, 3, 6, or 12 months.

We knew it was going to happen but I didn't know they actually introduced it. Those savings are terrible. Don't see myself committing to a year for $1/month.

Part of me does wonder if you get the 10% off monthly new subscriber coupon and sign up for a year...do you get 10% off the year?

Probably old news but I just noticed that they have different plans for the monthly subscription now:

Recurring 1 month plan = $12/month

Recurring 3 month plan = $11.67/month

Recurring 6 month plan = $11.17/month

Recurring 12 month plan = $11/month

I'm guessing that "Flexible subscription—cancel anytime" on applies at the end of the 1, 3, 6, or 12 months.
Yep, you would be canceling the next year's subscription if you choose 12 months. When you sign up it looks like they will charge you 132 up front for the 12 month plan:

Payment
12-month Subscription:$132.00[SIZE=.8em](Includes Call of Duty®: Black Ops III - Multiplayer Starter Pack)[/SIZE]
Recurring Payment
After your initial payment, you'll be charged $132 on the last Friday of August 2017.

The pricing is really weird

In year equivalents 

Month to month over a year $144

Four 3 months $140

Two 6 months $134

One 12 month $132

You only save 2 dollars yearly being locked in for a year rather having an option at 6 months to back out, less than the jump from 3 months to 6 months discount.

What about a lifetime pass? :p
I think that's the year plan... A lack of value in the titles after 18 or so bundles is going to be a real problem.

(Also, I think this is a new option as I just noticed it today also.)

Edit: Also those savings are pitiful...

That's...odd. Hopefully this is good news; bundles were a lot better when they were more sporadic. I mean, not good for collecting, but for actually playing.

bread's done
Back